• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

In an interview with IGN, Nintendo Treehouse's Bill Trinen and Nate Bihldorff talked to us more about some of Nintendo's big E3 2021 reveals, including the next Legend of Zelda.

Officially, Nintendo is calling the game the sequel to Breath of the Wild. This is because this game will have a proper subtitle, just not one Nintendo is ready to reveal.

"As for why we're holding back on the name, you'll just have to stay tuned because, obviously, Zelda names are kind of important," Trinen says during our interview. "Those subtitles… they start to give little bits of hints about maybe what's going to happen."

Past Zelda games have had important subtitles that refer either to important items (Windwaker, Ocarina of Time) or in the case of Breath of the Wild, important themes and concepts. It seems whatever the Breath of the Wild sequel's official name is, it does have some hint about the rest of the game.

But don't worry, you can still call it Breath of the Wild 2 for now. Nintendo tells IGN that they aren't mad that folks have latched onto that title and it's natural. After all, it has to be called something.

"[Breath of the Wild 2] is going to be shorthand and it's natural for people to want to find a shorthand way to frame it. We're still calling it the sequel to Breath of the Wild," says Trinen.

Interesting reasoning for the reason why they didn't reveal the subtitle just yet. Any thoughts on what it might reference?

"The Legend of Zelda: Link's Arm Is Severed And Replaced With A Biomechanical Arm"

ekurisona

Jan 10, 2018
E33QFyUXIAI7z2i

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
In fact, because they don't want to spoil it for us, they're actually not going to reveal the title until everyone has played it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Ganondorf Lives, Link Dies, and You Play As Zelda Now

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We're gonna keep calling it BotW2 until they do. Might be a good idea to not leave that hanging for too long, lol.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I guessing the name will be a spoiler of sorts maybe something they want to talk about first? I have no idea.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
The title actually reveals itself AFTER you finish the game. It'll just be "The Legend of Zelda" until then.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Was actually surprised we didn't get the name with the new trailer. But I guess there's plenty of time.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild: You (do not) play as Zelda

/s

Jokes aside, I imagine it'll be related the arm thing in the trailer

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're going back to the DS era where every subtitled started with D and S so they don't want people tipped off by The Legend of Zelda: Progenitor Regalia Ocarina

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild: Zelda never gets to live out her supposed legend ever never

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
I assume it'll be "Breath of the __" (Breath of the Sky? Breath of the Winds?) like how A Link Between Worlds was named.

Of course Majora's Mask didnt' wasn't called "Reversal of Time" or something so who knows

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Of course they would. So maybe we'll know in 6-10 months? I bet it will have "sky" in the name, or something close to it.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
All of these names in this thread are so wrong it's insane, let's all be honest with ourselves, it's gonna be called The Legend of Zelda: Chaos

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I assume it'll be "Breath of the __" (Breath of the Sky? Breath of the Winds?) like how A Link Between Worlds was named.

Of course Majora's Mask didnt' wasn't called "Reversal of Time" or something so who knows

I feel like if it was something like "Breath of the Skies" we would've got a name because that is clearly expressed in the trailer. It seems like it might have something to do with a mechanic that we haven't heard a lot about yet.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's gonna have to do with Ganon, I think.

Oct 25, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Wild of the Breath.

You know, they used the musical theme backwards on the trailer, so you can bet your ass they would find that name clever. :v

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Wild guess:

That's because the Sky isn't the only new area. Link explores the sky while Zelda explores underground caves.

The final title will be something that relates both the sky and the underground.