• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Samus Aran. The power suit is cool as fuck, especially the Samus Returns version, but it's time to get rid of the latex fetish waifu Zero Suit.

Oct 28, 2017
Mario is no longer a plumber.
He is a Youtuber now.
mario_without_moustache_2.jpg
I... I don't think I like this...
giphy.gif

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Even though they changed it in marketing by the time you even got the hero shirt you already had better looking outfits that had effects on them aswell there was no reason to use it and I never did change to it.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I think Samus comes to mind most, the other characters are fine? I would like to see them try new aesthetics for Wario and Yoshi's games, though.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Redesign Waluigi in Wario Ware-style and give him something different to do other than playing tennis and golf.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If they ever make a Metroid 5, I hope they take a page from Fusion and change how Samus's suit looks. It looked similar (in color scheme) to past games by the end, but it'd be neat if they just kept it different the whole way through.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Impostor Link you mean?, that is not Link. And to answer your question none, videogame characters should always preserve their signature attire.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I want to start as zero suit Samus and have to manually find and assemble the armor. You should be able to have everything built by mid-game.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Funny enough Mickey Mouse actually got something of a redesign a few years ago that was a mix of his old-school design, the current one, and other cartoons like Hanna Barbera and Ren and Stimpy:

maxresdefault.jpg

Though his old design is still the canonical one as far as the character as a mascot is concerned. And he still looks like, well, Mickey Mouse.

He still looks like Mickey though. It's still the same elements, just in a different art style. The same thing has happened with Mario in games like Paper Mario. "New look or art style", but at a quick glance you know it's him.

The OP example of link is a bigger change. Certain elements remain, like Link's hair colour, eyes, pierced ears, etc, but his classic tunic is gone. It's not even a real item in the game, it's either from Amiibo or completing all the shrines. Beyond that, he has custom armour that looks nothing like his instantly recognizable armour. All the weapons, minus the Master Sword, are gone (not counting the Hryulian Shield because it's realistically available to your average player at the end of the game).

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Mario needs a reimagining badly. Making him a dress up doll didn't help. He's a plumber from Brooklyn. Give him some respect!

Samus could use one, but Prime 4 being before Metroid 2 kinda blocks that. I would enjoy a Prime style Metroid done post fusion.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
New Captain Falcon when a new F-Zero happens. Luigi's Mansion 3 should have given Luigi an entire ghost busting jumpsuit. Make Bowser Jr. a teenager in the next Mario.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I like samus as zero suit waifu.

I would like to see a change of daisys design though to seperate her more from peach.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I don't think it makes that much sense to make Samus bulkier since she's all about sneaking into small spaces. If the gameplay was more focused on destroying the enviroment it'd make more sense, but most of the time you are just breaking boxes or vents to get into passages.

I'd love if they made a sequel with the fusion suit, maybe tweak it a bit if they want to, but if I remember correctly she got healed at the end of the game, right? It's not like she couldn't take it off anymore.

Edit:
I think they should redo Paper Mario's design, since they have been using the same since the second game and it's getting stale, as good as it is.
I also hate how every little detail that made the characters and enemies unique on the rpgs started to get "fixed" on the 3ds entries.

DuzwpdPWsAATWTQ.jpg

8981ddb381ef4631c2e9d0452c190ff4.png
latest

Last edited:

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Samus should keep a Fusion-like suit, that evokes Metroids, if they ever make Metroid 5, but if she takes the suit off she should still be 6' tall Amazon. Not the midget she was in Other M.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
If Samus ever takes the suit off post fusion she should be either horribly mutilated since she had to have her old suit surgically removed after it grafted itself to her body or she should be some kind of mutant hybrid of human and metroid because she's full of metroid DNA. Or both.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
We'll see if a Metroid Fusion sequel ever has the courage to not just forget about the Fusion suit.
That would require Nintendo to make a Metroid game set after Fusion, which at this point is about as likely as Bowser successfully asking Peach out on a date without resorting to kidnapping.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
64 was a remake of the original story, and 3D was a remake of 64. Zero is yet another take on the same story.
64 was a reboot with a bunch of new stuff, same Zero. I get how that's unappealing and how those feel like retreads, but they're not merely remakes. Only half the games closely follow the overall "mostly on-rails" structure of the first game.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see a Mario 2D game that is exactly the style of the old box art

2471162-9486603886-Super.jpg

It might be neat if they did a Mario game with the retro Mario Bros. early 80s style

Mario_Bros_Side_Art_1024x1024.jpg

I would still like a Zelda game that looks like this:

9781506703350_artbook-the-legend-of-zelda-art-and-artifacts-hardcover-alta.jpg

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'd argue that Link's look has changed in almost every generation. I mean a few are very subtle but we have toon link, classic link (shorts and longer hair), LTTP link with pink hair, normal link (OOT, MM, Twilight princess, Skyward sword), and botw link now.

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see a Mario 2D game that is exactly the style of the old box art

2471162-9486603886-Super.jpg

It might be neat if they did a Mario game with the retro Mario Bros. early 80s style

Mario_Bros_Side_Art_1024x1024.jpg

I would still like a Zelda game that looks like this:

9781506703350_artbook-the-legend-of-zelda-art-and-artifacts-hardcover-alta.jpg
I know this wil sound bad but...i always felt old zelda art like that looked kinda goofy
That and i really cant picture how a game would translate it

grand

Oct 25, 2017
None of them really. Link just looked awful in 3D from day one and was begging for a redesign for years. There's a reason why his alt outfits in Wind Waker & Skyward Sword were so popular.