• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
That's the most Nintendo thing ever

"Hey, for full price you get a Nintendo Switch and a port of a four and a half year old game that we released a year and a half ago!!!"

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Because it was a much newer system at that point and Odyssey had just launched.

I'm allowed a fucking opinion. I'm sure it'll do just fine too, but I also think they could do much better at say $279.

Lmao chill out, sweetie.

OT: Games sold as bundle pack-ins are generally counted towards said games overall sales, right? MK8 is gonna end up with a big number. Especially if they make the correct decision and go the DLC route versus making a whole new Mario Kart game.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
How are those 2DS units? I've been meaning to pick up a new 2DS XL as I'd like to play Metroid: Samus Returns at some point, but I have so little time that it's hard to justify spending the money. However, an $80 2DS is kind of a no-brainer. I don't like how the regular 2DS looks though and I wonder how comfortable it is to hold...
While I don't own one, I've held one a few times. It's frankly their most comfortable handheld in the entire DS line due to not sporting a clamshell design; the extra holdable height alleviates cramps. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it gets way more flak than it deserves if you don't need 3D - especially at that price.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I wanna buy a Switch for my nephew (age 9), but should I keep it at my house so he can only play on the weekends or should I let him have it? I think if he has it at home, his grades will probably fail because he runs shit at his house. I just feel like if I keep it at my house, it's kind of cruel...especially since I don't pick him up every weekend.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Because it was a much newer system at that point and Odyssey had just launched.

I'm allowed a fucking opinion. I'm sure it'll do just fine too, but I also think they could do much better at say $279.

Who's saying you aren't allowed one? I seriously doubt $20 makes or breaks the deal for anyone wanting a Switch this holiday season, especially with an evergreen pack-in title.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're banking on this bundle to reach their 20M unit goal. It's probably just to help out November sales. I can see something like 200-250k of these bundles.

Well first off they're probably not getting that full $12M, it was more of a statement. And anyway that's not all that much money to them so I'm not sure why it's relevant.

But 1M units of a $60 discounted bundle sounds way too much for Nintendo. That's essentially $60M in lost profits. And they're not selling this bundle throughout this month, just on Black Friday (or Black Friday week, I'm not exactly sure). And probably cyber Monday if they have stock left.

The 12M was a joke.

You are valuing MK8D as a $60 loss per bundle, but Nintendo has clearly made it's money back on this game, it's not a trackable loss at all, it's just a potential loss, as each unit this bundle sells, means there will be 0 MK8D purchases from it, however with a ~50% attach rate for this game, as well as what? 8 Million units on a 13 Million unit console just last gen, I think they can firmly write this one off if they can sell 2 Million more Switch units. There is a tradition to sell the console with Mario Kart bundles anyways, I think every Nintendo device since the Gamecube has had this bundle, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it returns next year.

Nintendo isn't one to shy away from "game selects" or "player's choice" $20 titles, this MK8D game would certainly be in such a catagory, and this bundle is the perfect "not a price drop" tactic, it will almost certainly be widely available in November and disappear for the December shipments. As you said, it's to help November sales, but that number needs to be much higher than a quarter million, not sure that is helping at all, also they are competing with a $199 PS4 Spiderman bundle, and whatever Xbox has going. It's a good time to push this bundle as hard as they can.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The 12M was a joke.

You are valuing MK8D as a $60 loss per bundle, but Nintendo has clearly made it's money back on this game, it's not a trackable loss at all, it's just a potential loss, as each unit this bundle sells, means there will be 0 MK8D purchases from it, however with a ~50% attach rate for this game, as well as what? 8 Million units on a 13 Million unit console just last gen, I think they can firmly write this one off if they can sell 2 Million more Switch units. There is a tradition to sell the console with Mario Kart bundles anyways, I think every Nintendo device since the Gamecube has had this bundle, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it returns next year.

Nintendo isn't one to shy away from "game selects" or "player's choice" $20 titles, this MK8D game would certainly be in such a catagory, and this bundle is the perfect "not a price drop" tactic, it will almost certainly be widely available in November and disappear for the December shipments. As you said, it's to help November sales, but that number needs to be much higher than a quarter million, not sure that is helping at all, also they are competing with a $199 PS4 Spiderman bundle, and whatever Xbox has going. It's a good time to push this bundle as hard as they can.

There's a difference between what Nintendo could do and what they probably would do. The opportunity cost of offering free MK8D- the game selling to over 50% of the user base- is pretty high. Of course it's made back its development cost and then some but that won't stop Nintendo from continuing to profit heavily from the game for a long time. They normally do a selects line a few years after the game launches once its sales slow down, and that isn't happening for a while with this game.

And November is gonna have way more that 250k switches sold, I'm just saying that's around what I expect for this particular bundle. They still have at least 5 other bundles plus the standard SKU.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between what Nintendo could do and what they probably would do. The opportunity cost of offering free MK8D- the game selling to over 50% of the user base- is pretty high. Of course it's made back its development cost and then some but that won't stop Nintendo from continuing to profit heavily from the game for a long time. They normally do a selects line a few years after the game launches once its sales slow down, and that isn't happening for a while with this game.

And November is gonna have way more that 250k switches sold, I'm just saying that's around what I expect for this particular bundle. They still have at least 5 other bundles plus the standard SKU.
Black Friday could sell 1 Million Switch units on it's own, this isn't the first time they have done this either, they actually just did it with the Wii U multiple times, MK8D is a stealth price drop, without actually dropping the price of the system, having that limited to only a major holiday is fine, let's say I am right and they sell 2 Million of these, they are loosing out on 1 Million MK8D sales yes, but they are going to sell 4 Million to 5 Million Switch units this month, and a large batch of these bundles also drives sales in December with these other bundles, because being such a large % of the units shipped, would drive sell outs, and cause people to get more aggressive with their purchasing of a hot holiday item, that is when the other bundles pop. 250k units isn't enough to satisfy Black Friday by itself, I don't think they could get away with less than 500K, and it just makes sense to have more IMO.

The last president did say that driving the install base this year was more important than any other objective (including profits) so it stands to reason they would max out this bundle with a production that would last the entire month, instead of half a day.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Black Friday could sell 1 Million Switch units on it's own, this isn't the first time they have done this either, they actually just did it with the Wii U multiple times, MK8D is a stealth price drop, without actually dropping the price of the system, having that limited to only a major holiday is fine, let's say I am right and they sell 2 Million of these, they are loosing out on 1 Million MK8D sales yes, but they are going to sell 4 Million to 5 Million Switch units this month, and a large batch of these bundles also drives sales in December with these other bundles, because being such a large % of the units shipped, would drive sell outs, and cause people to get more aggressive with their purchasing of a hot holiday item, that is when the other bundles pop. 250k units isn't enough to satisfy Black Friday by itself, I don't think they could get away with less than 500K, and it just makes sense to have more IMO.

The last president did say that driving the install base this year was more important than any other objective (including profits) so it stands to reason they would max out this bundle with a production that would last the entire month, instead of half a day.

I guess that's an interesting point, having this bundle be an overall hardware driver that helps push other bundles once it's sold out. By the way when you say 4-5M Switches will be sold this month I'm only talking US for this bundle, since that's the only place it seems to be in effect. Of course they're not selling 4-5M Switches in the US so 1-2M units of this bundle just for the US seems extremely high.

Maybe 250k is lowballing it a bit but I don't see it being above 1M. How much did they sell last November in the US? Obviously they're gonna sell more this year thanks to Pokemon (and this bundle) but I doubt it'll be that much higher.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
That's the most Nintendo thing ever

"Hey, for full price you get a Nintendo Switch and a port of a four and a half year old game that we released a year and a half ago!!!"
It's sold twice over the amount of the Wii U version by now. Like it or not, the broader market doesn't seem to care that it's a port of a great game for a system that no one bought.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
How are those 2DS units? I've been meaning to pick up a new 2DS XL as I'd like to play Metroid: Samus Returns at some point, but I have so little time that it's hard to justify spending the money. However, an $80 2DS is kind of a no-brainer. I don't like how the regular 2DS looks though and I wonder how comfortable it is to hold...

2DS units are solid. BF deal is really good. You can also get refurbished 2DS units from Nintendo on Ebay for $60 anytime of the year (And Ebay has had in the past and I imagine will soon 10/15/20% off of your purchase code). The units look and are packaged like brand new units. I started off with a 2DS refurbished a few years ago and recently upgraded to the 3DS XL (Mostly because I never had a DS and am playing through those titles now.) DS games play in something like or close to a 4:3 aspect, so no full screen on top. No they are much larger which is nice, also nice just having a larger screen now. 3D is kinda cool and works well. Amazon US has a 3DS XL (SNES Edition) for $150 right now.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's sold twice over the amount of the Wii U version by now. Like it or not, the broader market doesn't seem to care that it's a port of a great game for a system that no one bought.

Not twice yet.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
8.42 million pcs.

Mario Kart 8 DX (SW)
11.71 million pcs.

But it will get there eventually. It will just take some time.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The Mario Kart 8 bundle seems pretty good. No price cut happening this year, but this is the first bundle for $299 that includes a full game (there is the Fortnite bundle as well, but you get less than $60 value).

$199 Spiderman PS4 wins the holiday.

True, now there's a real value, but it will sell out really fast like their $200 PS4 last year. So they win November, and Nintendo wins December.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's an interesting point, having this bundle be an overall hardware driver that helps push other bundles once it's sold out. By the way when you say 4-5M Switches will be sold this month I'm only talking US for this bundle, since that's the only place it seems to be in effect. Of course they're not selling 4-5M Switches in the US so 1-2M units of this bundle just for the US seems extremely high.

Maybe 250k is lowballing it a bit but I don't see it being above 1M. How much did they sell last November in the US? Obviously they're gonna sell more this year thanks to Pokemon (and this bundle) but I doubt it'll be that much higher.
Actually was thinking world wide. 1M for just the US would be about as much as I see too. They should have launched this bundle ww.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Or by pushing Mario Kart, you might find that they have more customers for later extra MK8 DLC?

Clever Nintendo.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah so far it just looks like this is for the US. But I guess it's possible they announce it for other regions later.
If they are serious about that 20 Million, they have to sell at least 11 Million units this quarter world wide, that means what? 5.5 Million or more in the US alone. This bundle needs to sell 1M imo, world wide they would have had a much better chance to do so. Going to be very interesting what Pokémon Let's Go.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
If they are serious about that 20 Million, they have to sell at least 11 Million units this quarter world wide, that means what? 5.5 Million or more in the US alone.

...not even close. First, shipments =/= sales. And if you look at the recent worldwide split, America ( AMERICA, NOT USA ) is way closer to 40% than 50%.

They probabily wanna do:
5 million in America ( so around 4-4.2 million sold in USA )
4 million Rotw
2.5 million Japan

That's also bigger than 11m, you can also reduce those numbers to 4.8/3.8/2.3 million.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not a particularly great deal for the Switch, but it's still selling so well they probably feel like the don't have to do much. I'm sure it's still going to do gangbusters.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
the MK8 is ok, sure the game is free but it's digital and not everyone wants mario kart.

a BotW or Odyssey bundle for the same price would have been more interesting in my opinion.
Uhm, MK8D is more popular than those two titles you mention (or will be in a year or so). Not sure how you reached that conclusion. Unless you were speaking for your own personal tastes, of course. But for the general audience MK8D is probably a bigger deal than a bundle with one of the other two titles.