• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

We are who we choose to be—now choose:

• Open-world forever

Votes: 1,004 75.4%
  • Multiplayer forever

Votes: 327 24.6%

• Total voters

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The Nightmare Genie appears before you. You are forced to choose one of two "wishes,":
  • Every future game is open world
  • Every future game is multiplayer
All future games will retain their gameplay as much as possible (racing games are still racing, turn-based RPGs still turn-based), but either with mandatory open world experiences or mandatory multiplayer worked into the existing framework.

If you refuse to choose or attempt to game the system somehow, all future games will be both mandatory open world and mandatory multiplayer 😈

"But how would X game function as open world/multiplayer?" you might ask, the answer to which is: Use your imagination for once in your insipid existence.

All devs magically have the means to make open world function properly in their games—they gain the benefits of open world design, but are still subject to pitfalls of that structure, all based on dev pedigree/strengths. If multi is chosen, devs have adequate servers and you'll always have access to online or couch multi (not both in every in game, games that would only have online without couch co-op would still be that way, and vice versa). Each is unavoidable if playing a given game for any length of time.

Now choose.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Multiplayer easily

most of the games i buy already have couch coop, so i think every game can be better with it

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Multiplayer.

Everything open world is far far worse and boring than Multiplayer.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I remember when every game had to try to shoehorn in some sort of bad multiplayer mode in order to keep the games from being resold 3 days after their 5-8 hour campaign was completed.

To me, the multiplayer option is just gaming going back to the mid 2000's.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Open world easily.
MP means that I can't play games anymore considering how bad the internet infrastructure is an how high the ping is.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Open World is the future. A well made open world can do most things a linear game can do just as well if not better. There are exceptions, like segmenting areas on completely different enviroments, but maybe devs can get around that with portals. That technically counts as open world, right?

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I refuse, and thus usher in a new era of all battle royale games all the time.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Everything MP easily. I'm beyond sick and tired of open worlds that are vapid and shallow with identical mechanics.

I don't even enjoy the open world titles everyone else likes.

Would gladly take every game being multiplayer because it would at least offer far more variety in type of games on the market.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Every game being open world still gives option of having some be multi-player. So easy choice.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This is a hard one because I tend to dislike myltiplayer games, but I think that's because there is usually a lot of limitations and trend chasing. As an example, I feel like MMO's still have a lot of untapped potential, but the risk of deviating too far from the popular formula isn't worth it for most devs.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Multiplayer has way more variety in genres. Kirby and the forgotten Land, Tetris 99, FFXIV, PlateUp, and Wildermyth are all MP games. Much better than everything becoming the same often bloated genre.

People aren't thinking of what all MP can mean.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't count any open world game in my top 5 of all time.

On the other hand, FFXIV is one of my top 5 games.

Multiplayer it is.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
There was a time shortly after the cod boom where it felt like everything had to be MP and a lot of games got entirely unnecessary MP. Also at that time indies weren't as much of a thing so my choices for games I like felt pretty small. So I'll choose open world. While I am bored with the checklist formula I can still appreciate aspects of those games more than I ever could any of the bad MP games.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
If I choose open world do I still get some multiplayer games, and if I choose multiplayer do I still get some open world games?

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I am ASTOUNDED open-world is winning.

Every game having multiplayer still leaves room open for so much possibility, so many genres, so many types of game. Every game being open-world narrows the possibility space by so much more.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Open world easily, if every game was MP I wouldn't game anymore, they give me a huge anxiety

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
If this is a magical world where games can go open world while still retaining everything else good about them, I don't see a downside.

EDIT: Whoops, misread the OP; I'll stick with my answer, this is basically where we're heading anyway.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm shocked so many people are against MP. MP is the natural choice, there are lots of single player concepts that could be made to work in coop with some work. If the other part of the question is that the quality drops accordingly, then would I rather play a bad open world game or a bad MP game, then probably the OW. But that's not the question. There are few games that COULD NOT EVER POSSIBLY be good in coop. TLOU could be a coop game. Red Dead could be a coop game. Coop RTS. Why not?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
People on Era don't have friends.

Good luck convincing my friends to pay half their monthly salary for MP games in Brazil lol, at most they will play Fortnite and Fall Guys

I'm shocked so many people are against MP. MP is the natural choice, there are lots of single player concepts that could be made to work in coop with some work. If the other part of the question is that the quality drops accordingly, then would I rather play a bad open world game or a bad MP game, then probably the OW. But that's not the question. There are few games that COULD NOT EVER POSSIBLY be good in coop. TLOU could be a coop game. Red Dead could be a coop game. Coop RTS. Why not?

TLOU and RDR co-op wouldn't be the same experience at all. Like imagine if you want to explore and do side activities or stealth while your friend is rushing you to kill more stuff...

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Waiting to play until my friends are available sounds like a pain in the ass, and solo coop games have the balance fucked.

Besides there are no genre limitations in open world games. Its a structure at most. Unless the genie is hyper specific, making a small open world with different tetris machines you can play would count as open world tetris. Also multiplayer would still be possible.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Open World easily. 90% of my gaming I do to entertain myself while avoiding the f$&k out of other people. I'd quit gaming altogether if every game was multiplayer.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I would take an infinite number of GTA-sized games chock full with Yves Guilllemot-faced NPCs over fragging whiny teens in multiplayer games.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Waiting to play until my friends are available sounds like a pain in the ass, and solo coop games have the balance fucked.

Besides there are no genre limitations in open world games. Its a structure at most. Unless the genie is hyper specific, making a small open world with different tetris machines you can play would count as open world tetris. Also multiplayer would still be possible.
Well that is true. If the question implies that I will always need someone else there to play the MP portion, then that would indeed be a problem. Plenty of even MP and coop games do have SP modes, though. If that's not a possibility, then indeed, the basic logistics of gaming would be a problem.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Open world Papers, Please but you're shot the moment you try to leave your desk.