• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Popular YouTube personality Uncle Roger (a character played by Nigel Ng) did a video with food vlogger Mike Chen earlier this week - however, Nigel Ng has now deleted the video because of Mike Chen being outspoken against China's human rights violations.

It seems Nigel Ng is now getting backlash for removing the video because Mike rightfully advocates for human rights for all people in China. Nigel Ng even went as far as to say "I wasn't aware of his political thoughts and his incorrect remarks about China".

By now I think most people have seen this story floating around, been a crazy couple of days just wanted to say thank you to everyone so much for the love and support! Sorry I can't get to everyone's message but I am truly touched, humbled and strengthened by you all. šŸ™

I think that what happened here is the result of the CCP's censorship, even if it wasn't direct censorship. The CCP uses many tactics to silence those who disagree with them or challenge them. They will use online mobs to bully or intimidate people. They will use their soft power to get people to self-censor because they are afraid of losing business in China or offending Chinese people. And I think that's what's happening here.

Unfortunately, as the CCP gains more influence in the world, this has become a widespread problem in society. It affects everyone from governments, to corporations, to even YouTubers.

I hold no animosity towards Nigel for what he did, because it's hard to stand up to the CCP's tactics. I do hope that he learns more about the human rights abuses that the CCP has committed because he lives in a free country where he can do that.

I have always said that I love China, and I love the kind hearted Chinese people. They are my people. The CCP however is not China and certainly should not be equated to the Chinese people.

I stand by everything I've said in the past about the CCP. They've committed countless atrocities from the Cultural Revolution to the Tiananmen Square massacre. And even now, they're forcing millions of Uyghurs into labor camps, persecuting Tibetans, Mongolians, Christians, and Falun Gong, and locking up pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong. But because of the CCP's money and influence, many people even outside China are afraid to say anything. I only have a small platform, but I will always do what I can to lend my voice to those in China who can't speak out.

Finally, If you feel compelled to please sign the global petition to end the CCP at www.endccp.com even thought it's just a petition, it shows them there are those who see through their lies and want to see a truly free China.

Mr Ng, a UK-based Malaysian, then apologised on Chinese social media site Weibo for causing a bad "social impression" with the video.

"Taking into account the seriousness of the situation and the possible negative effects of the video itself, after discussion, we decided to delete it," he wrote.

He added that he had not been aware of Mr Chen's "political thoughts and incorrect comments about China in the past".
Mr Chen, who is based in the US and posts about food on his YouTube channel Strictly Dumpling, has previously criticised the Chinese government's policies and human rights record.

In 2019, he criticised Beijing on Twitter, mentioning the treatment of Uighurs in Xinjiang and the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre.

On Tuesday, Mr Chen told the South China Morning Post: "I hold no animosity towards Nigel for what he did, because it's hard to stand up to the [Chinese Communist Party]'s tactics. I do hope that he learns more about the human rights abuses that the CCP has committed because he lives in a free country where he can do that."

"I have always said that I love China, and I love the kind-hearted Chinese people. They are my people. The CCP, however, is not China and certainly should not be equated to the Chinese people," he added.

www.bbc.co.uk

Uncle Roger comedian deletes video with China critic

Nigel Ng, who is known for his food videos, said he had not known his guest's political views.

Really disappointing to see Nigel Ng do this when Mike seems to be bringing awareness to awful human rights issues.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
his incorrect remarks about China
hmm

Compare this backpedalling to Chen's statement:
"I have always said that I love China, and I love the kind-hearted Chinese people. They are my people. The CCP, however, is not China and certainly should not be equated to the Chinese people," he added.

Flashbacks to Overwatch commentators hiding on under their desk after interviewing someone supporting Hong Kong

Edit:
Mikey Chan is Falun Gong, a facist, trump supporter cult. He's right that the CCP is vile, but I wouldn't want to associate with him either.
Well shit

Last edited:

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Dropping in to say that I always found his "character" insufferable in that one video about that lady making rice.

EDIT: Also if you told me Mike Chen was Jackie Chan's long lost son I would 100% believe you.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Mikey Chan is Falun Gong, a facist, trump supporter cult. He's right that the CCP is vile, but I wouldn't want to associate with him either.

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
On the other hand he potentially saved his life? Anyone that speaks out happens to disappear, right?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I have followed a couple of Mike Chen's channels in the past (Beyond Science mostly, I don't buy into that shit but the stories always gave me something interesting to Google when bored and he has a therapeutic voice) but I am glad that he's a pretty outspoken person when it comes to the human rights violations in China.

Also incredibly gross thing from that Uncle Roger fella, definitely going to make sure I never visit his channel in the future

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I wouldn't want to be associated with someone who supports Falun Gong either
www.facebook.com

Strictly Dumpling

Happy Falun Dafa Day! I was going through a period of severe depression my last year of college and almost gave in to it. But found this peaceful meditation practice based on the principles of...

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017

That's the Sheng Yun cult right?

Everything about that seems like a really bad scene, and yet they get so much attention and advertising here in Boston. Kinda nuts.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Why would this dumbass choose to be a CCP loyalist?

$$$
And you don't want to "anger" the little pink chinese online netizen.
As Japanese vtuber company Hololive had, where they had to cancel event with Asus and other company due to Chinese fan response to their talent reading Youtube algorithm on where their fan are from and listing Taiwan(Youtube) as one.

Snowden

Oct 25, 2017

Yea Mikey Chen seems to be involved with the Falun Gong to some extent. I think he even moved to New York State nearby where their Dragon Springs compound is located.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
can cooking channels stop giving a shit about uncle roger's opinion on fried rice now?

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA

Everything about that seems like a really bad scene, and yet they get so much attention and advertising here in Boston. Kinda nuts.
The Falun Gong also funds the Epoch Times, which is one of the biggest pro-Trump newspapers these days in the US. They are also responsible for pro-Trump social media fake news campaigns, notably in the Chinese language targeted at Chinese-Americans.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People defending Ng for this are missing the point that Ng said that Chen had "incorrect remarks about China" not "Chen is in a weird cult". While Chen might well not be someone worth associating with it seems like Ng did it for a shitty reason.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Ng has family living in China I can understand.

Falung Gong is really lame though. I just got a issue of the Epoch Times slipped into my mail slot. Just straight up fascist propoganda.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I had stopped watching Mikeys videos since I found his style a bit cringy plus it seems like hes always eating the same food all the time. But this Falun Gong stuff is new to me. Not a good look at all.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yes, also the #1 peddlers of Q Anon online and now also this -

www.buzzfeednews.com

A YouTube Network Sprang Up To Pump Out Pro-Trump Misinformation After He Lost

A group of channels connected to the Epoch Times is pumping out hoaxes and lies without identifying their connections to the right-wing newspaper.

We let this garbage fester for too fucking long.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Falun Gong is bad, really bad.
They turn so many vietnamese students and professors here into far right trump supporters.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017

welp. those guys are pretty hardcore though the only reason that they supported trump is his anti-china rhetoric, which kind of ironic to me since the average white trump supporter wouldn't know (or care) to differentiate between a CCP or an FLG

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
never knew falun gong is associated with the far-right movement. I've always thought they are just a bunch of weirdos that are into meditation

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Those guys and their anti-China rhetoric and propaganda have been credited for the gains Trump made with Asian-Americans this election.

They use their anti-china stance ( not CCP but all chinese are evil ) to push even more dangerous believe with their cult. I lost so many friends when they became more racist homophobic. The sad thing is they are all gay, now they they hate gay people.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Oof at the Falun Gong stuff.

The only good thing to come out of Shun Yun:

%E7%A5%9E%E9%9F%BB%E6%99%9A%E6%9C%832019-shen-yun-tickets-on-sale-now-63994529.png

Aprikurt

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 29, 2017
So wait, they're both awful?

As likely as anything with YouTube personalities honestly. I'm steadily running out of people I can subscribe to in good conscience.
Dropping in to say that I always found his "character" insufferable in that one video about that lady making rice.

EDIT: Also if you told me Mike Chen was Jackie Chan's long lost son I would 100% believe you.
Totally, let people cook rice how they want. The joke went on far too long.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
never knew falun gong is associated with the far-right movement. I've always thought they are just a bunch of weirdos that are into meditation

Here's a video on the Falun Gong for some context:

The NYTimes published an article about their propaganda machine on Facebook recently too:
www.nytimes.com

How The Epoch Times Created a Giant Influence Machine (Published 2020)

Since 2016, the Falun Gong-backed newspaper has used aggressive Facebook tactics and right-wing misinformation to create an anti-China, pro-Trump media empire.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam

That what they appear to be. Their cult use to go to the park and teach peole yoga and "healthy way to live". Next thing you know, you will be getting email about how chinese people are bad and they've been eating falun members ever since.
The real kick is their mamy many fake news chanels on facebook youtube, when you are into that there no coming back. There are nostop news about black andy gay people riots or Trump will save the world from pedo liberal.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Heard about the Roger drama but did not realize it involved Mikey, who's a pretty harmless food blogger dude when he's not doing the Falun Dafa thing.

This is wild.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, the Falun Gong stuff makes this situation more nuanced. Should be added to the OP.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I have watched quite a few Chen videos (but not lately) and I never got the feeling he was a right-winger or a Trumper. He got into Falun Gong through his parents when they still lived China, way before the Epoch Times and NTD (their OANN-like news channel) existed. The one time he talked about it in a Q&A video, it was mostly to explain why they left China and the meditation stuff. He never tried to push outside of that.