• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
pCAVGpm.png

sAvSG6c.png

auRPYdn.png

fOoAvHM.png

5UhU3VW.png

ZeMY3gl.png

tGlzqds.png

QVCf59k.png

KLaYPpL.png

Source
1. What is NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... ?

NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... is an updated version of the acclaimed 2010 action-RPG and predecessor of NieR:Automata.

It's being developed by Toylogic, in collaboration with series Creative Director YOKO TARO and producer Yosuke Saito, and adds numerous refinements to the game. Think revived visuals, faster, smoother combat, full voice acting, a re-arranged and re-recorded soundtrack and more.

2. What's the history of NieR Replicant?

The original NieR has an interesting history. The game was technically a spin-off of the Drakengard series, but no knowledge of that RPG series was required to understand and appreciate the world and story presented.

The game released in Japan, Europe and the US in April 2010 for the PS3 and Xbox 360, although the nature of the releases differed between East and West.

In its native Japan, two editions of the game were released: NieR Replicant (the version that ver.1.22474487139... updates) and NieR Gestalt. Although the games shared much of the same content, and followed the same basic narrative, there were differences between them, most notably the protagonist himself.

In NieR Replicant, players took the role of a brother on a quest to save his sister Yonah from a horrifying disease that infected her. In NieR Gestalt, the main character was older and Yonah was his daughter.

In the US and Europe, only NieR Gestalt was released as the game titled NIER, and while it was only a modest success sales-wise, it found an audience that continue to enthuse about its virtues, such as a fascinating world, thought-provoking story, genre-bending gameplay and emotive soundtrack.

3. Where is Papa NieR????
Father NieR will be playable in the remastered version of NieR Replicant. Not in the mainstory but in the 15 Nightmares, a very difficult dungeon that was DLC in the original NieR game but it's been added to the base game in this new version.

4. How is NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... connected to NieR:Automata?

There are numerous narrative and thematic links between NieR Replicant and its sequel.

That said, both games are designed to work as standalone experiences - just as you didn't need a degree in NieR-ology to understand NieR:Automata, you won't need any existing knowledge to enjoy and understand NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...

But if you have played NieR:Automata, you may find yourself stroking your chin knowingly more than once as you pick apart the threads of its prequel.

5. Who's the English voice cast for the game?

Here's a partial list:
  • Protagonist (adult): Ray Chase
  • Protagonist (young): Zach Aguilar
  • Grimoire Weiss: Liam O'Brien
  • Kainé: Laura Bailey
  • Emil: Julie Ann Taylor
  • Devola and Popola: Eden Riegel
6. How does combat work in NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...?

The combat system of NieR Replicant has been refined, with snappier controls, more mobility and a faster pace.

As the protagonist, you'll battle Shades with a variety of weapons, using swift sword strikes, carefully-timed counters and evasive dodges to take down hordes of foes.

You'll be supported by Grimoire Weiss, who gives you access to numerous magical spells, such as Dark Blast, which peppers enemies with bullets from afar, Dark Lance, which fires powerful projectiles at your opponents and Dark Hand, which lets you bludgeon enemies with… well, a dark hand.

It's a simple to control system that gives you loads of options on how to approach battles. And rest assured - there are tons of enemies that will test your mastery and reflexes.

7. Are there multiple endings in NieR Replicant like in NieR:Automata?
Yes.

8. Can I play NieR Replicant on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S?
Yes you can. The PS4 and Xbox One versions of NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139… are playable with the newest consoles in the same family.

gdzPOSF.png

sIyiSHm.png

NieRReplicant_07.png

NieRReplicant_05.jpg

NieRReplicant_04.jpg

xiDrzi6Sqq6ve6tbJFsYjY.jpg

Big thanks to Yasumi and jacktuar for the OT title idea!​

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
WEISS, YOU DUMBASS!
START MAKING SENSE YOU ROTTEN BOOK OR YOU'RE GOING TO BE SORRY
MAYBE I'LL RIP YOUR PAGES OUT ONE BY ONE
OR MAYBE I'LL PUT YOU IN THE GODDAMN FURNACE
HOW CAN SOMEONE WITH SUCH A BIG SMART BRAIN GET HYPNOTIZED LIKE A LITTLE BITCH? HUH?
OH SHADOWLORD! I LOVE YOU SHADOWLORD!
COME OVER HERE AND GIVE WEISS A BIG SLOPPY KISS SHADOWLORD!
NOW PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR GODDAMN ASS AND START FUCKING HELPING US!

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If you pre ordered on xbox you can switch your region to New Zealand and play right now FYI.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to revisit NieR after all these years. It's such a wild thing to see the attention for these games grow so much since Drakengard.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nice looking OT!

Have my game pre-ordered on Steam! Can't wait to dive into this game again!

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
So excited for this. Loved every second of Automata and have gone on many YouTube deep dives of the Nier/DG lore but have never actually played the 1st Nier.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
WEISS, YOU DUMBASS!
START MAKING SENSE YOU ROTTEN BOOK OR YOU'RE GOING TO BE SORRY
MAYBE I'LL RIP YOUR PAGES OUT ONE BY ONE
OR MAYBE I'LL PUT YOU IN THE GODDAMN FURNACE
HOW CAN SOMEONE WITH SUCH A BIG SMART BRAIN GET HYPNOTIZED LIKE A LITTLE BITCH? HUH?
OH SHADOWLORD! I LOVE YOU SHADOWLORD!
COME OVER HERE AND GIVE WEISS A BIG SLOPPY KISS SHADOWLORD!
NOW PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR GODDAMN ASS AND START FUCKING HELPING US!
Should be the first thing in the OP honestly XD

Great OT though! I shouldn't pile another game ontop of my backlog, but I only played the game with Papa Nier back when it released. I thought the narrative of a father was much more interesting and more unusual for a JRPG than the standard young boy/man. I'd like to see how this turns out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Wow jeebsus that's an amazing OT!

Hoping the Kaine stuff is dealt with significantly better than the trophy implies :/

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping to play this tomorrow but alas the SE EU store has not sent out my White Snow edition and now I just sit here staring into the void. :/

Great OP and when my copy arrives I can't wait to play it again!

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
I love Nier Automata so much so I would really like to get into the original but I have to ask...

Is there a logical reason why Kainé is dressed....the way she is? Because I find her character design really, really awful and it kind of puts me off from getting the game.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
This Kaine girl is looking... interesting. How ashamed of my word and deeds will I be? 😄

Anyway, I am assuming if you're new to Nier, either Automata, or this one should work fine as a first game in the series?
Also, how "anime" is Nier? I've enjoyed some mainstream anime shows/movies (FMA, Code Geass, GitS, Death note...), but I find a lot of anime shows to be rather cringeworthy. What are the chances I would enjoy the game? (Games like Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Bayonetta, etc. I can enjoy just fine).

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Played a little but of the PS3 version back in the day (I stopped after realizing "oh, I fish HERE & not in the spot where you get the fishing rod"), excited to play this using some PTO. My friend who I borrowed the game from is super stoked to the point he's getting the LE, which is rare for him.

Also I originally wanted to suggest a spoiler OT subtitle of "ahh, so that's why Kaine's dressed like that", but feels like that may be in bad taste, especially after the trophy news. Just felt like a way to reference people discovering her for the first time to then learn more about her character.

explewd

Nov 1, 2017
Sweden
11 years ago, damn. I remember picking up the game, playing through it and it completely wrecking me on so many levels.

I had almost given up hope for a continuation, and was fooled so many times from podcasts speaking about 'Near' (the PSVita functionality) and hoping something new about Nier would come out. Many years went past. Nier Automata was announced. And it became a huge success, sales-wise and critically. And another while later, the impossible happened. A remake/remaster of Nier was announced? :O

Played through it over the last week (saw all endings, cried a little bit), turned in my review earlier today, and can't wait to dive back in and do more fishing/material grinding.
And yeah, the game still absolutely wrecked me as much this time around. Possibly even more so, since I could vaguely recall some of the story beats.

So, Drakengard remaster when? :D

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
So back when Automata first released and no-one quite knew that it would sell so well and lead to this, I stupidly made the decision to read through some of the plot of the original game online cause I didn't expect it to get a remake. I can't say I remember everything too well but just want to make sure I haven't totally soured the experience for myself.

If I already know about the main thing I remember which is
the Shades being the separated souls of human beings
is there still big story stuff for me to discover or is that really the kind of main endgame story beat?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Great OT

Anything to know regarding the multiple endings? Am I fine to just play without a guide and not miss out on anything important?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Been playing the game for 4 hours so far, and so far it's very much "The original as per my memory".

The orchestrated OST is good, altho has a bit of a different feel to it, wretched automatons is kinda butched because orchestrating that track misses the point.

Boar drifting is a disappointment because they changed how it controls.

The hard difficulty is making enemies too spongy.

Kaine just looks a bit too much like a character cosplaying Kaine.

I'm being hypercritical tho, as it's my all time favorite videogame.
Glad to play it again.

The combat system is a bit more fluid, but it's still the exact same system, if this game gets praise for the combat it just very much proofs what i've been saying for a long time, that OG NieR's combat being awful is just an overstated meme.

I love Nier Automata so much so I would really like to get into the original but I have to ask...

Is there a logical reason why Kainé is dressed....the way she is? Because I find her character design really, really awful and it kind of puts me off from getting the game.

There is a reason, wether or not you find it logical or good is obviously up to you. FWIW the game acknowledges and mocks the outift quite often, there is a certain sense of meta commentary to it (of which the game has a lot towards of JRPG tropes)

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Guess i'll be the first to ask. Anyone ordered from CDKEYS? Yet to receive my key, but doesn't look like there's a midnight (EU) release anyway.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So back when Automata first released and no-one quite knew that it would sell so well and lead to this, I stupidly made the decision to read through some of the plot of the original game online cause I didn't expect it to get a remake. I can't say I remember everything too well but just want to make sure I haven't totally soured the experience for myself.

is there still big story stuff for me to discover or is that really the kind of main endgame story beat?
It's pretty big but you would probably speculate this in your first playthrough, it only concerns the first ending, and theres much more to it and the plot. I wouldn't worry too much.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Was gonna wait but I think I'll buy it now and play once I'm done with SaGa Frontier. Still getting the PC version, as I can play Automata just fine, though it should definitely run better than it does, based on how it looks. I assume this will be roughly the same (maybe, hopefully, slightly better?)

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
The SquareEnix web store also has a lot of new merch for anyone interested.

store.na.square-enix-games.com

Square Enix Store | North America

Buy video games online at the Square Enix official store. Shop our top franchises including Final Fantasy, Nier, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest & more.

Day -2 for me!

(Because UPS delivered my White Snow Edition last night and I'm already playing it.)

Jealous! Mine is shipped but I can't see where it is along the delivery path...

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Doing the 2nd playthrough will be a bit more boring since you're already doing your 1st one with that knowledge.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Wonderful OT... and we're in here!!

I'm gonna explode!. So many years waiting. It was always something. Either I didn't want to pay $30-40 bucks for a used copy, or I suddenly couldn't find a copy when my interest was high, or I'd forget about it entirely, on and on. I always wanted to play the original, but it never panned out for me. All this time, how I wished for Xbox to make the original BC or for a remaster/remake. Now, just one day away... it's overwhelming, lol.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
were air combos in the original? i don't remember them.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This Kaine girl is looking... interesting. How ashamed of my word and deeds will I be? 😄

Anyway, I am assuming if you're new to Nier, either Automata, or this one should work fine as a first game in the series?
Also, how "anime" is Nier? I've enjoyed some mainstream anime shows/movies (FMA, Code Geass, GitS, Death note...), but I find a lot of anime shows to be rather cringeworthy. What are the chances I would enjoy the game? (Games like Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Bayonetta, etc. I can enjoy just fine).

Your statements are certainly the initial reaction Yoko Taro wanted people to have about Kaine.

NieR is the first game but you can start with either game. Probably start here, though, as the gameplay is rougher than Automata.

It's not really anime at all like you are thinking. Based on the games you listed, you'll probably like this game just fine.