• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
WARNING: UNMARKED SPOILERS BELOW

Here's a buffer image on the off chance that you've accidentally wandered into this thread or want to back out now. You have been warned.

mlcM0Mj.png

Feel free to discuss any/all endings, plot twists, and connections to previous games below.

Last edited:

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Okay I just finished ending E and it was some awesome shit.

I was really sad that 2B actually died; I thought she was going to come back somehow for sure. Then 9S went all nutso and I got a little creeped out, but it all worked out in the end.

I dont really understand how 2B knew that 9S would find out about the YoRHa lie though? The game almost acts like it's an inevitability. But I don't remember anything of the sort happening when 9S dies the first time in Chapter 1. He just kinda...hacked into himself to repair his systems, right? Or am I misremembering it?

Oct 25, 2017
This was such an unexpectedly affecting final note. I can't think of many other games (or just pieces of media in general) that straight up thank you at the end.
It used to be the norm, back in the day, but those were more arcade games that weren't taking themselves too seriously.

So it hit me really hard that a game that tackles the subjects this one does, and goes as deep in its themes ends on that note. Games that are more story-driven, even some of the best ones, seem almost embarrassed to be games. They don't want to be compared to things that are "merely fun", and instead try to hang out with the big boys. Yoko Taro is having none of that nonsense. He realizes the immense potential this medium has, and wants to transmit his message and themes using it in unique ways. Ending such a journey that made us reflect on humanity and life with a simple "Thank you for playing" is absolutely beautiful.

Thank you, Yoko Taro, for creating this.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If I forget to change the image from the site which shall no longer be named, please PM me a reminder. There's a lot going on today!

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to go back and finish the Emil quests before doing the right thing (tm) in this game.

I dont really understand how 2B knew that 9S would find out about the YoRHa lie though? The game almost acts like it's an inevitability.

I guess it's a bit of narrative convenience, plus the fact that it might have also happened before during one of his previous lives. I thought that was implied.

CesspoolofHatred

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Reading someone's live reaction on Nier ERA as they went through Pascal's tragedy was a special, special moment.

Renewed

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Life goes on. It's good to be back.

The only thing I've left off on doing may be ending E for my second run, but I just want to fish. I want to catch them aaall.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Currently watching someone do the first few hours of Route C and she's just going "what the fuck" over and over again. It's good.

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017

I was really sad that 2B actually died; I thought she was going to come back somehow for sure. Then 9S went all nutso and I got a little creeped out, but it all worked out in the end.

I dont really understand how 2B knew that 9S would find out about the YoRHa lie though? The game almost acts like it's an inevitability. But I don't remember anything of the sort happening when 9S dies the first time in Chapter 1. He just kinda...hacked into himself to repair his systems, right? Or am I misremembering it?
2B is DESIGNED from the ground up to kill 9S periodically to stop him from learning about YorHa. She and the people who made her know that 9S is such a good hacker and all around investigator that he will find out the truth.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I still do not quite understand the diorama drama scenes narrated by 9S. Can someone explain it for me?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to get a version of the soundtrack that includes tracks like This Cannot Continue with vocals? The official release just has the instrumental

Oct 25, 2017
I've only ever found youtube rips of it. Probably the thing that bummed me out most about the official OST :(

The Amazon MP3's are pretty low quality too. I have to admit I was kind of underwhelmed because of how compressed it was, I might look into just finding higher quality MP3's online to replace the ones I bought off Amazon. Bummer though.

Anyway I'm gonna get back to this game at some point or another. I kind of want to share the experience with someone else this time so I may wait until I move in with my girlfriend in three months before starting it on PC. Really excited to play it in 21:9 too! My first run was on PS4 Pro.

The fight against Ko-Shi and Ro-Shi on the elevator, with the game cutting back and forth between 9S and A2... man, shit gives me chills. The music in that bit was incredible as well.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Just checking in so i don't miss the discussions about ending E, I missed this thread

Swamped

Oct 25, 2017

Yay, glad you enjoyed it! I saw you playing this on Discord. I think this was my goty (thanks to Pedro lol).

I still find myself periodically day dreaming about this game and it's endings!

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"It always ends like this."

2E has killed 9S many times before, presumably because he often uncovers the truth about YoRHa.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still do not quite understand the diorama drama scenes narrated by 9S. Can someone explain it for me?

Most of them just concern the events in machine history, such as the imitation of human traits, the creation of the super weapon, becoming as gods, and the Pearl Harbor attack. I don't recall any with any deep meaning.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anybody else feels that shmup credits weren't done very well? I'm a fan of danmaku and I absolutely love the idea of the credits section, but from the purely technical perspective I dont think it's done particularly well. Hitbox is very annoying, half of the time it feels like pure luck whether or not bullets get you. It probably would take Platinum a lot of extra time to redo/retune it to be in line with smth like Cave games, but in its current state credits feel almost intentionally poorly optimised to force players into accepting help. Which sucks :(

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Anybody else feels that shmup credits weren't done very well? I'm a fan of danmaku and I absolutely love the idea of the credits section, but from the purely technical perspective I dont think it's done particularly well. Hitbox is very annoying, half of the time it feels like pure luck whether or not bullets get you. It probably would take Platinum a lot of extra time to redo/retune it to be in line with smth like Cave games, but in its current state credits feel almost intentionally poorly optimised to force players into accepting help. Which sucks :(
I mean, while I didn't find it particularly badly done on a technical level, I'd say that's part of the point. If it was easy-ish a lot of people would miss the beauty of receiving help from other players that were in the same situation.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, while I didn't find it particularly badly done on a technical level, I'd say that's part of the point. If it was easy-ish a lot of people would miss the beauty of receiving help from other players that were in the same situation.

I wouldn't want it to be any easier in terms of bullet patterns, just more consistent and precise, so there'd be more incentive to master it and beat it on your own. Though that, I agree, goes against the idea of the segment. Which loops back to my complaint — I feel like they've made it purposefully sloppier than it should've been, in order to nudge players towards accepting help.
Or maybe I'm just that much worse with twin-stick shooters than I am with proper danmakus :/

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Or maybe I'm just that much worse with twin-stick shooters than I am with proper danmakus :/
I don't have a lot of experience with danmakus, but I played my fair bit of Isaac for example, and I didn't notice anything unusual about the credit section. Sooner or later I'll replay it and I'll keep an eye out for anything weird.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm back at the beginning of Route C and, jeez, there aren't enough words to describe how good it is.

The way the credits play over it as if to say "here's where shit gets real" and the slow agonizing death of 2B, arduously dragging herself across the map only to get gutted by A2, it's incredible. This game is a work of art.

SebTheCat

Oct 27, 2017
Nier Automata for me is one of those experiences where I honestly dont think anything can come close to surpassing it.

It's that incredible.

What I wouldn't give to play the game again with no memory of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished ending E today, kissed my files goodbye and didn't even worry about the consequences of not backing up. What a hell of a ride. Not sure if I understood it all but I loved it nonetheless. Though I will say that I was getting tired of using 9S by the end of route C, I just didn't love his combat style with only one weapon.

That said, this game is probably my GOTY, just damn good fun mixed with a crazy unique story and some fourth wall shit that would make Kojima proud

TheMirai

Oct 28, 2017
I guess it's a bit of narrative convenience, plus the fact that it might have also happened before during one of his previous lives. I thought that was implied.
It is. Part of the "it always ends like this" is hinting at the fact that 2B is a unit explicitly created for the purpose of stopping 9S when he finds out the truth (She is unit 2E). I'm pretty sure A2 says this at the final ending.
I'm back at the beginning of Route C and, jeez, there aren't enough words to describe how good it is.

The way the credits play over it as if to say "here's where shit gets real" and the slow agonizing death of 2B, arduously dragging herself across the map only to get gutted by A2, it's incredible. This game is a work of art.
That part was great narratively but if you end up falling into the ditch it is a motherfucker to get back out, since she starts hobbling pretty fast and you end up getting jumped by enemies and if you die you ACTUALLY have to start it all over.

That was one of those "Oh there you are Yoko Taro, you deliberately trollish motherfucker."

Akira619

Oct 26, 2017
Asia Pacific
After ending E, I watched the TV screen for good 5 min. I never experienced anything like it in my 30 years of gaming. It was exceptional... Must play for anyone who loves video games.

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

She's an execution type android, designed specifically to kill 9S units that learn about the truth. Isn't that how it works?

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what happens if you delete your save data at the close of ending E? Special message or something, or does it just wipe and roll on to the title screen?

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
So what happens if you delete your save data at the close of ending E? Special message or something, or does it just wipe and roll on to the title screen?
Whatever you wrote will show up in someone elses' game with your name and country on it, you're gonna be an awesome person and the menu screen will change again
Oh, there is a lil message too, pretty wholesome one

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Super late, but: if you're talking about 2B and 9S self-destructing at the beginning of the game, it's heavily implied that that death was premature, both from the standpoint that 9S doesn't figure out YoRHa's lie and from the standpoint that 2B doesn't get enough time to be with him before she inevitably has to kill him.

The expectation is that 9S is a smart enough and resourceful enough android model to always figure out the truth eventually, hence the requirement for 2B. In fact, I think the party line is that 9S requires the intelligence he has in order to do his job properly, but that amount of intelligence also ensures he'll work out the lie.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the atmosphere, dialogue and story. It was really well done. Combat was a bit boring on normal but too hard on hard / not really fun. One of the best games this year. And the soundtrack oh boy.

Ending was kind of bitter sweet.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
THERE IS any word from Taro about what is the "true" ending? (canon)

Also
Fuck 9S