HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
April has a crazy toolset. My Nigel didn't stand a chance online. Had to switch to Catdog just to deal with her, and then it became a whole different story. Have fun with these fur balls lol.

Navigating these lobbies has proven to be finicky. Trying to cycle through individual rooms and pressing B just kicks you out all the way to the main menu.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The character choices are kinda weird. There's Helga but no Arnold. Sally but no Squidward. No Dora, Timmy Turner or Blue either.
Why would you ever put Squidward in over Sandy? He's a secondary character to Spongebob same as Sandy, but she's an actual fighter.

And why would you assume any Nick Jr character would be in this?

Timmy 's tied up in legal gunk apparently.

Helga is legitimately a strange choice, but the correct one if you're only going to have one character from Hey Arnold. Well, the 2nd best one. The best one would be Grandma.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
As an aside, I'm going to go to bat jard for Rachel Bighead with Fathead stands like Duckhunt Dog's cowboys over Rocko.

Oct 25, 2017
SOUTH TOWN
April has a crazy toolset. My Nigel didn't stand a chance online. Had to switch to Catdog just to deal with her, and then it became a whole different story. Have fun with these fur balls lol.

Navigating these lobbies has proven to be finicky. Trying to cycle through individual rooms and pressing B just kicks you out all the way to the main menu.
did you decide to keep XBOX Series X version or get PS4/5 version?

Oct 12, 2020
The game is decent, it seems like it was certainly made on a budget though.

Some of the models and attacks just seem very off. The feeling of impact on hits is very weird too, high percentage hits that will KO an opponent seem to have the same sort of impact as hits that would otherwise just send the opponent off stage a bit around 20%. The combat also feels very weird comparing it to Smash Bros, sort of floaty.
I agree with this observation.
I feel like the game really targeted speed and aggression over everything else and it makes the game loss any impact. It just can't sell a strong hit and the consent high velocity, limited defensive and missing freeze-frame just don't give the player and the audience a moment to breath (you can't even catch a break after a respawn). It makes any moment in a match blend together.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
did you decide to keep XBOX Series X version or get PS4/5 version?

I went with the Xbox version. I think it might be the better option of the two considering Xbox players can play with last gen players. I don't think it works that with PS5/PS4, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Here's an official comment on those datamined announcer clips:

unknown.png
Then I guess that was a whole lot of nothing……for now.

OP
OP
Layell

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Since the game literally just released I think it's fair to say that the DLC plans are still up in the air, with the exception of the two characters we've seen placeholder/incomplete assets for.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way you can stop yourself from tumbling midair? Do you just keep mashing?

I got stuck in a tumble at 10% damage and I just fell off the stage because my character refuses to 'mash' or tech out of it.

Or are there specific moves that cause a character to get put into a tumble? If so, that move is cheese.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Is there any way you can stop yourself from tumbling midair? Do you just keep mashing?

I got stuck in a tumble at 10% damage and I just fell off the stage because my character refuses to 'mash' or tech out of it.

Or are there specific moves that cause a character to get put into a tumble? If so, that move is cheese.
There's a rock paper scissor system with the strong moves when both clash. Down beats mid, mid beats up, and up beats down.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
You can get the game on "gamersgate.com" (not affiliated with THAT movement) for $30.25 if you use the code GG-DEALS-21

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I will say lack of alternate colors is really making it hard to figure out who I am. The nameplate doesn't work when things get crazy.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ledge guarding with Lucy Loud is fucking fun. She packs a punch.

I might just start watching the cartoon just for this character.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How's the online play?

It's been inconsistent for me. I've gotten matches where it's sub 50 ping (and you still can feel the latency) and I've been put into ranked matches where the ping exceeded 2000. Idk how they implemented the rollback but so far it's felt sloppy.

Not sure if people from outside the US set their region incorrectly or something.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
No alt colors due to executive meddlibg sounds weird, I wonder how hard it would've been to do costumes instead, like have Spongebob in his karate gear.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the button layout like? Does this game sue right stick?

You can customize your buttons however. You have a light, strong, special and jump to map to your face buttons. You also have a block (which can dash) and grab button.

And the right stick is similar to tilt attacks if you want to use that instead of face buttons.

Oct 25, 2017
You can customize your buttons however. You have a light, strong, special and jump to map to your face buttons. You also have a block (which can dash) and grab button.

And the right stick is similar to tilt attacks if you want to use that instead of face buttons.

Thanks. Is light/strong basically just tilts/smash attacks? Also can you map smash attacks to right stick or is. it only tilts? Can you have movement on the D pad?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Is light/strong basically just tilts/smash attacks? Also can you map smash attacks to right stick or is. it only tilts? Can you have movement on the D pad?

Strong attacks in this are the equivalent of a charged smash. They just get their own dedicated button to do it.

The right thumb stick seems to only be tilts for your strong attacks, you can't change it at all.

Lights are basically your pokes that can be hit confirmed into a strong attack if you follow it up quick enough.

yes you can use the dpad.

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
For the people playing on Xbox/Playstation controllers: What's your button layout looking like?

I'm using

X - Special
Y - Strong
A - Light
B - Jump

It's tough to get used to though, if anyone played Slap City and used these controllers can you let me know what sort of button layout you used? I want to know what's the popular method before getting too much muscle memory.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm playing this and wondering why i would ever use light attacks? They don't seem to do anything beyond a sliver of damage.

Also I can't figure out if you're able to drop down through platforms like in Smash. Seems like no?

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
So is it just me/my pc or does this game seem to move crazy fast? Like almost too fast to keep up with?

Falling seems way faster than in smash too.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So I'm playing this and wondering why i would ever use light attacks? They don't seem to do anything beyond a sliver of damage.

Also I can't figure out if you're able to drop down through platforms like in Smash. Seems like no?
Light attacks have a lot of hitstun that combo much better at lower percents

You can fall through floors by holding down while jumping

Deleted member 3924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
doug is the sora of this game

Doug is happening

Light attacks come out faster, are safer and combo better. Some of them even chain down air spikes together.

You can fall through floors by holding down while jumping

Yea, this can also be done while blocking too.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You hold down and press jump to go through platforms. And lights are arguably the most important attack in the game considering you start most your combos off with it and can start mixing in the heavies. Plus they have the faster frames. Unless a move has hyper armor a light attack will stuff a strong attack.