• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cain

This game looks amazing.

Playing it at 4k60 with HDR on my 65" Oled and it's just a joy. Thanks to Steam big picture with a PS4 controller and HDR worked out of the box without tinkering and it looks really good. I kinda get the hype now for HDR...

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
thE07Hp.jpg

That should tell you all you need to know.
Fuck.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Can anyone tell me what the paper craft display box is for that came with my collectors edition? I didn't see any paper craft sheets anywhere. Is it like Tearaway where the game sends them to you for completing tasks and we print them ourselves?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
The game is solid but I feel like it really opens up and gets better once you start to unlock your kingdom and side quests + magic door (favorite). Definitely enjoying it even though it's a little easy

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, the collectors edition has two cases. Thought it was just a steelbook and there were no plastic case at all.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A youtube video I was watching said the combat becomes good and necessitates more depth after around 5 hours in. Any truth to that?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The weapon switching has me confused. It appears to combine the stats of all the weapons you use, but if you have an empty slot and try to equip something it will deduct your stats if it's weaker than your first weapon instead of just purely adding the 3rd weapon to your overall total. But if you were to replace your 2nd weapon with something slightly better it only compares the stats to that specific weapon. I've already gotten quite a few swords and I don't want to equip a 3rd because of the stat reductions it'll cause.

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to play this but all the its too easy talk is really putting me off. What are the chances that they can and/or will patch in a harder difficulty?

Rushoff

Oct 28, 2017
Holy fuck the storytelling is cringe'y and awkward as fuck.. I mean, they literally introduce a character and 3 seconds the way the narration goes, they expect you to care for that character. This is Vandham level freaking hard.. Happened two times in the first 2 hours or so.

Ace

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This game looks amazing.

Playing it at 4k60 with HDR on my 65" Oled and it's just a joy. Thanks to Steam big picture with a PS4 controller and HDR worked out of the box without tinkering and it looks really good. I kinda get the hype now for HDR...

Goldpaw is mind meltingly beautiful with HDR.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So I'm finding the supersampling mode seems to be causing some stuttering/framepacing issues. Turned it off and it runs a lot better. On a 1080p tv btw.

Is this just me, or what? Anyone have an issue like this?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Collector's Edition as well and since it was here when I got home I just got to play for a while, man it's absolutely gorgeous (4K HDR OLED with my Pro).
The VA cast is so great already even early on here, knowing that it's weird what lines aren't voiced I'm obviously already wishing that they'd been able to record way closer to all of the lines than they were able to, heh.

Mine just came in, super stoked. I didn't realize the Collector's Editions were numbered
Yeah.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck the storytelling is cringe'y and awkward as fuck.. I mean, they literally introduce a character and 3 seconds the way the narration goes, they expect you to care for that character. This is Vandham level freaking hard.. Happened two times in the first 2 hours or so.
Yeah, the storytelling needs to let these events breathe. Things happen too fast.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, the collectors edition has two cases. Thought it was just a steelbook and there were no plastic case at all.
Yeah, that was nice. Game in regular case with collector's edition stripe and the steelbook has both the music CD and making of blu-ray in it so neither of those are loose or just in a sleeve.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally enjoying the terse nature of the storytelling. It's refreshing after playing several games in a row that drown you in exposition. 16-bit era plot pacing is refreshing.

Rushoff

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the storytelling needs to let these events breathe. Things happen too fast.
Yup, exactly.. actually insane, I literally do not give a single fuck about the story of this game just because of that. It is the most awkward storytelling I have seen for quite a while..
However the game plays really well, and thus i like it.. just sad that after a little bit than 2 hours into the game I already have to force myself not to skip cutscenes.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
You can pick up a Breezy Ring (increases Wind Damage) in Cloudcoil Canyon if you go past the level 20 enemies. Not much else that way.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
Overall verdict on voice acting? English or Japanese? I like what I've heard from the English trailers except for the kids voice. Is it continuously jarring?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what happens when you're a 30-35 hour game :^)

Yup like I said in the preview thread when I was concerned about the short time RPGs need to be longer because they need time to properly establish so much more than most games do, and jrpgs tend to need even more time to do that kind of stuff. This isn't tomb raider or some action game. You need time to let characters grow and become invested in their stories and most RPG mechanics need a decent length of time to be properly balanced and feel like you're actually growing on the journey.

Rushoff

Oct 28, 2017
Overall verdict on voice acting? English or Japanese? I like what I've heard from the English trailers except for the kids voice. Is it continuously jarring?
It is uhm.. Ok? The english one at least.. much better than XB2 voice acting, where after hearing Rex attempts on screaming a couple times I had to change it to japanese.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Just in case, US Collector's Edition here.

Yeah, I've got two discs inside of my steelbook case. I've got that above white with artwork Music CD Collection disc on the left side and the Making Of disc on the right side in the case.

Thanks. Going to take another look and be certain I don't have what I'm supposed to

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so I folded and spent my PSN credit on the game. I loved and platinumed the first game, so getting this eventually was a no brainer for me...

BUUUTTTT.... WHAT the heck is up with the speed of the contextual chat that shows up while running around or in fights? Its zooms by before I even get a chance to read all of it (and I am a pretty fast reader). On top of that, the text is so small that by the time my eyes focus and adjust to the size, I have enough time to read maybe two lines of it before it disappears. This is going to drive me crazy because I cannot find anywhere in the options to slow this chat down and I feel like I am missing out on a ton of story and world context by how fast this text is scrolling.... this needs patched ASAP...

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I folded and spent my PSN credit on the game. I loved and platinumed the first game, so getting this eventually was a no brainer for me...

BUUUTTTT.... WHAT the heck is up with the speed of the contextual chat that shows up while running around or in fights? Its zooms by before I even get a chance to read all of it (and I am a pretty fast reader). On top of that, the text is so small that by the time my eyes focus and adjust to the size, I have enough time to read maybe two lines of it before it disappears. This is going to drive me crazy because I cannot find anywhere in the options to slow this chat down and I feel like I am missing out on a ton of story and world context by how fast this text is scrolling.... this needs patched ASAP...

I almost feel like its a bug - it just seems crazy to me that they'd let all that writing go to waste.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wow this opening chapter is bad.

To elaborate, more than actual bad it just feels pretty insipid. Given the premises of the plot and the very (pleasantly) unexpected beginning cutscene, i expected a much more dynamic, dramatic intro. But this felt really rushed and brining me in the middle of such a complex situation that made me care very little about what was happening. Plus the lack of VA (and even the choice to voice some things over others) is jarring.

Rushoff

Oct 28, 2017
So Roland doesnt feel the need to look for a way back. Chapter 1.
Meanwhile that grill I don't remember name sacrifices herself to let them escape.. then she appears, just to die finally 15 seconds later. Chapter one is over.
Chapter two - all of a sudden you meet a grill.. 20 seconds later she has been kidnapped already and you are on the rescue mission. Yep, the pacing of the story is literally insane.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I LOL'ed at that point.
I am younger in a completely different worlds that's under attack? Sure, why not?
I feel like the beginning of the game was made whenever it was designed to be a game about him and his story, and then theyre like "nah, its about this little boy, but might as well keep chapter one as is."

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
So Roland doesnt feel the need to look for a way back. Chapter 1.

The whole "sent to another world" troupe has become so prevalent in light novels and manga that I'm not at all surprised they didn't bother with him wanting to go back lol. Hell, it wouldn't even be surprising if he's just been like "Oh this is like those isekai stories" and leave it at that

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, yeah the first chapter is pretty damn awkward, but I can't say I have a problem with the rapid pace. Didn't buy the game for the story, really.

Last edited:

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Not being able to save your game in dream dungeons sucks. I am in the last one. I feel like I can keep going but it's gonna suck really bad if I lose all the progress I've made so far.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this opening chapter is bad.

To elaborate, more than actual bad it just feels pretty insipid. Given the premises of the plot and the very (pleasantly) unexpected beginning cutscene, i expected a much more dynamic, dramatic intro. But this felt really rushed and brining me in the middle of such a complex situation that made me care very little about what was happening. Plus the lack of VA (and even the choice to voice some things over others) is jarring.
Yeah I expected a lot more to be honest. NNK1 had a strong start and then the production values dropped over time. This one kind of starts at that level right from the beginning.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the pacing of the story, it's more that the cutscenes sort of flow weirdly. Music doesn't really fade out in a natural way so it's jarring going from a scene with loud music, it suddenly ending and cutting to a quieter scene. It's a minor thing but it's definitely stood out so far.

Besides that I'm really liking it. The combat is way better than the first game and I don't mind if it's easier as I want to actually be able to finish it this time around.

Gumbie

Oct 28, 2017
This game looks amazing.

Did you have to turn on the HDR setting in Windows display settings before you start the game up?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just to let everyone know, the beginning of the game indeed blows. Terrible opening sequence, terrible stealth sequence, doesn't do anything to make you care about the characters, just poor all around. BUUUUUUUT, get through those first moments and the game starts shining. I just started chapter 4, and while I admittedly still don't care for the story, the game itself feels great, plays wonderfully, and the structure of what you can do in the game is fun. So just push through. Ni no Kuni 1 definitely had that Ghibli level of charm to it's story and characters which this one is sorely lacking, but it makes up for it in other aspects.