LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed it. Very cozy game. Not quite as good as the first game but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some people make it seem.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i put about 120 hours into the game and enjoyed all of it. i bought part 1 some time ago and i definitely liked part 2 more.

Last edited:

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
As DQXI is on your list I'd recommend that first over playing Ni No Kuni II, but regardless I still enjoyed it enough to finish. It's quite a short JRPG compared to most and it's pretty to look and relaxing to play (because it's way too easy).

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
You're asking the wrong forum. Resetera absolutely hates Ni no Kuni II for the most part.

I don't. It's almost as good as the first game, it improves on several lacking aspects of the first game, but it doesn't quite nail the charm and characters as the first game. You'll either hate the fact that they took out familiars, or simply enjoy the action RPG combat with the Higgeldies.

Anyone you've read say it's "too easy" likely played it prior to the difficulty patch that added in harder difficulties, so safely ignore that criticism. Just play on the harder difficulties - Hard mode definitely made the combat quite a bit more enjoyable as I didn't breeze through battles like I used to prior to that patch.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the game was fun.

Main theme is overused like DQ theme, but it has one of the best town theme this gen.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed 2 a lot, definitely a lot easier, but still a great time.

Did the DLC come out then? Sure I have the season pass, but not seen anything about it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Not bad, does stuff better than NNK1 while also having weaker parts compared to NNK1. They compliment each other for the most part

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Man some of the reactions to this game are so extreme it actually makes me want to play it. The lack of voice acting is definitely shitty though considering the original game.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I thought the first game was disappointing, so I haven't even given the sequel a shot. It doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it. I agree with those moaning about the waiting times for the kingdom building part though, seemed really unnecessary.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I bought it for 10 in the psn store to have a game I could play muted, without much thought or attention while listening to podcasts and such. From what I had gathered it would be pretty grindy and sometimes I'm down for that so I chose the hardest dufficulty and have now been chipping away at it for the past couple months with something around 70 hours clocked.

So far the game has not made any real effort to capture my attention any more than I was willing to give it. That is, me wanting to turn on the sound more often or read the sidequest-dialogue boxes instead of skipping them. I think the story and characters are rather bland and the limited quest design repeats itself ad nauseum.

I really enjoy looking at it though. Some of the town themes are pretty interestingly done, monster designs are nice enough (if a little repetitive after 30+ hours) and the battles became kinda fun around 20 hours in (that is when I'm not dying in one hit). Overall I don't regret my purchase at that price but I feel it will be a game I will have forgot almost everything about 6 months after having finished it and I don't think that that's all because of the way I'm giving it only half of my attention when playing.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
I didn't like it much. It mostly came down to spamming 1 or 2 moves in battles. The town creation, while fun, didn't really matter. I like games that force you to have to utilize their mechanics to beat it. Otherwise why bother.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Actually no. But if you expect it to be as dark as ff7 or ff15, i dont think you are in for good time

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
I would play Spider-Man or Horizon first but I thought it was alright. I'd certainly play it over DQ XI but that's primarily because I can't like turn-based combat.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
NNK2 at launch was stupid easy although I liked the gameplay stuff in it a bit more than the first one. . .although the first one had better combat than NNK2. And yes, the story is really dumb.

Honestly if they had just refined the Gotta Catch 'Em All gameplay of the first one and added all the other stuff of the second one (I actually liked those dungeons that got harder the farther in you went), this would have been a really good game (aside from the story).

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it. Everything but the combat is worse than 1, though. Still a fun romp/grind to me.

kingPaPi

Mar 28, 2018
Nyc/LA
I loved the first game, one of my fav ps3 games

2 was absolut trash, i got it day one digitally, and regret buying it

Whats shocking to me was how well it reviewed, but then again these reviewers seem to overrate a lot of games

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Absolutely not. It's a good game. The hyperbole around the game on Era has been completely ridiculous at times.

But honestly, there was a strange backlash to the original game back on GAF as well.

Both are good. The original is better.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I liked it a lot better than the first to be honest.
Yeah, it's super easy, but the difficulty in the first game could be REALLY frustrating at times.

The only thing is that it definitely doesn't have the same sense of Ghibli magic that the first game had.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Great avatar OP! And yeah, as a huge fan of the first one I waited until I could get the sequel for $15 and I really tried for the first 8-10 hours and it was incredibly dissapoinning. I might go back someday because it's not bad I just have no desire to continue.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It's nothing like the first game, OP.

It's definitely not a bad game. I beat the game with near 100% completion. I really enjoyed it. It was a very bog standard JRPG with action game fight mechanics, but it was a fun little romp.

The game was so easy that a lot of the complexity the devs tried to layer on top of the fight mechanics weren't at all even necessary. You can essentially beat the whole game spamming the same melee move over and over.

I much prefer both the story and combat system of Ni No Kuni 1, but I really enjoyed the kingdom building and citizen recruitment of 2. Reminded me a lot of Dark Cloud/Chronicle.

It's a pretty simple, pretty mindless game, with a story fit for a 5yo. It's more like a Saturday morning children's cartoon. It's fun if you have nothing else to play. You have MUCH better games in your backlog though, OP. So you should prioritise your time with those first.

I think people who call Ni No Kuni 2 trash probably played it before other top tier games in their backlog. It's not that type of game.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
The writing dropped off a lot from the first game, meaning it goes from charming to boring. Just couldn't get through it. The skirmishes were a terrible idea.
There are way better choices to catch up on in your backlog, OP.

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this game after Easy Allies gave it a 9.5/10. I stopped watching Easy Allies after that.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I enjoyed this game, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are very fond of JRPG and already played most of the good stuff available to you. There are good parts to this game such as the stellar soundtrack by Joe Hisaishi, the kingdom building mini-game which is actually more engrossing than the main quest, and combat is okay. It is excessively grindy though, especially when you aim for 100%/platinium.

DQXI is much more enjoyable.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
It was my most disappointing game of 2018. The game starts great, but problems just immediately add up on repeat and by the end I had been overwhelmed with fetch quests, an inane story, a battle system with minimal depth, F2P mobile style timers and the poor RTS battles.

I actually felt blindsided by all the overwhelmingly positive impressions compared to what I played.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's a bad game, just a very quickly boring one unless you are completely taken by its charm.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I liked it a lot more than the first game, but I still don't think it's all that good.

Battle system is improved, but can be a bit dull. Characters are a little more memorable, but they still don't really matter or develop beyond their introduction. Story concept is cute, but it's once again told in a shallow, simplistic way where you can predict everything before it happens. I suspect all these problems are caused by the game targeting a much much younger audience than I wanted, similar to Level 5's other output in recent years.

If you're going to jump in, the biggest tip I can give you, is that a lot of stuff will seem optional, when it in fact isn't. Just do these "optional" bits as you get them. Otherwise you'll be expected to do 'em all back to back later, and it'll feel like a massive grind.

Dola

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Story is even worse than first game but I kept playing for a mini game where you build your own kingdom. It's not that great but I have played and finished worse games.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Cool thread.

Last year I played the NK1 remaster for the very first time completely fell in love with that game.
The Studio Ghibli art, the endearing main protag Oliver, the Pokemon collecting aspect, the MUSIC (!!!!!!), the cool battle system, the spells..... it was an instant classic for me, one of my fave JRPGs.

I obviously wanted to play the second one after that to get some more. Despite the lukewarm reviews I watched and the cheap price on Ebay (15€, never a good sign) I gave NK2 a shot and yeah.... not as good as the first and not a great game period.

NK2 is like an inferior sequel to a beloved Hollywood movie, where you kinda feel that different people were involved that didn't get what made the first one great.

How the fuck do you get rid of familiars? Why put in that braindead combat system? Who needed a Farmville-style kingdom builder and weak ass RTS mode?

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'm replaying it since two days ago and it's better than ever, the new dificulty modes are perfect. Playing on hard and while it still easy it's way more engaging and the tainted monsters are quite hard if you are underleveled. Also this time I'm paying attention to upgrading resistances and other perks where in og didn't matter.

Very good game, strongly recommend it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty bad.

It's not god awful or anything but you can seem the massive gaping seams of content that was cut for either time or budget.

Also at a certain point the story just stops making sense.