Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
So who ya got for tonight?

I'm Going for Carolina just to see how mad Ovi can get lol

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Vegas doesnt cross check a guy in the face and cause an injury, they dont get that 5 minute major.

Vegas didn't cross check anyone in the face though.

Someone got what is unfortunately a pretty routine cross check to the midsection and went down awkwardly. Stastny is scrambling off the faceoff and makes contact with Joe as he's falling which exacerbates the whole thing but I don't think anyone is trying to do anything malicious.

The injury is awful but there was no call even coming until he was out.

I can see it being a 2 minute cross check, but even that's sketchy in the context of the playoffs so far. If the refs REALLY wanted to be generous then a 2 for cross check and Stastny 2 for either roughing or interference (also sketchy)

A 5 minute major was a joke. All that said the injury was hard to look at and I'm really hoping he's ok.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Vegas didn't cross check anyone in the face though.

Someone got what is unfortunately a pretty routine cross check to the midsection and went down awkwardly. Stastny is scrambling off the faceoff and makes contact with Joe as he's falling which exacerbates the whole thing but I don't think anyone is trying to do anything malicious.

The injury is awful but there was no call even coming until he was out.

I can see it being a 2 minute cross check, but even that's sketchy in the context of the playoffs so far. If the refs REALLY wanted to be generous then a 2 for cross check and Stastny 2 for either roughing or interference (also sketchy.

A 5 minute major was a joke. All that said the injury was hard to look at and I'm really hoping he's ok.

I think that is the hard part to get my head around; No call at all until the refs saw him down on the ground obviously in a bad way. So a no call turned into a 5-minute major, if Pavelski didnt slip off the heel of his skate there would not have been a call.

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a great penalty but that's the game. Sharks got screwed on a terrible call in Game 2 and that's just how it goes. They made the most of the opportunity. Still kind of in awe of the whole thing.

I think that is the hard part to get my head around; No call at all until the refs saw him down on the ground obviously in a bad way. So a no call turned into a 5-minute major, if Pavelski didnt slip off the heel of his skate there would not have been a call.

But he slipped on his heel because he got crosschecked? The crosscheck did lead to the injury regardless of intent.

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Should not have been a major, IMO. Call the crosscheck, though. The injury was extremely unfortunate, but there was no penalty called until after the injury. The crosscheck happened right in front of the ref and he didn't make a call until Pav was down for five seconds. I get the refs felt like they had to call something and maybe responded to the severity of the injury after the fact, without seeing what happened in real time. I was watching the game and didn't even notice Pav went down until he was just laying there motionless.

It changed the entire momentum of the game, sparked the Sharks, yes. Regardless of the call, allowing four goals in a 5 minute power play is insane. You give up a goal or two maybe. But four? That's classic MAF goaltending.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Me awaiting game 7. I almost just want to fast forward to the end regardless of outcome. Can't TAKE this shit y'all.

EnlightenedAnxiousAzurevasesponge-size_restricted.gif

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't a great penalty but that's the game. Sharks got screwed on a terrible call in Game 2 and that's just how it goes. They made the most of the opportunity. Still kind of in awe of the whole thing.

But he slipped on his heel because he got crosschecked? The crosscheck did lead to the injury regardless of intent.
There's no reason to engage anyone who wants to argue the call. It was justifiable under the rules, even if people don't like it.

I just re-watched the whole sequence again, this time with Randy Hahn calling it (rather than the national broadcast). Such an awesome few minutes after that scary scene of Pavelski on the ground. The way Thornton held the towel on his head while they skated him off the ice is why we love these guys.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to engage anyone who wants to argue the call. It was justifiable under the rules, even if people don't like it.

I just re-watched the whole sequence again, this time with Randy Hahn calling it (rather than the national broadcast). Such an awesome few minutes after that scary scene of Pavelski on the ground. The way Thornton held the towel on his head while they skated him off the ice is why we love these guys.

Got a link to Hahn's call? Every video I find is the national broadcast. But man, hearing the crowd roar after the third goal still gives me chills. The come back was like something you'd see written in a movie and would call it completely unrealistic.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

There's little reason to argue with anyone on the internet about anything because nobody is going to change their minds.

Meanwhile even retired refs agree that it didn't warrant a 5 minute major. (And I think "real time" is generous here since no call was actually made in real time.)

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Got a link to Hahn's call? Every video I find is the national broadcast. But man, hearing the crowd roar after the third goal still gives me chills. The come back was like something you'd see written in a movie and would call it completely unrealistic.
I watched it through NHL Gamecenter. It's listed as the "away" broadcast for some reason. I don't know if you need a Gamecenter subscription to watch it (I have one).

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So this game has no drama but does have Pierre.

It's not a good hockey night with no dog in the fight.

Syrinx

Oct 25, 2017
This is crazy.

And I have work in the morning!

My anus is tighter than Marvie's fist when he sees Q.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
These whistles are swallowed damn

No game can be exciting after last night. This game 7 OT is.. fine

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
God the Canes hockey is just so visually pleasing to watch. No bullshit stretch passes or dump and chase, just strict adherence to the system.

I feel like the longer this goes, the more the advantage shifts towards and individual effort by Ovi or someone else on the caps exploiting the eventual weakness...

Or Williams just goes "fuck it this is what I'm here for"