• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Sony don't need to, they make more money of their exclusive standalone and their customers are willing to shell out for quality. Gamepass fundamentally is what psnow is, a sub service that lets you download games and stream eventually with xcloud on multiple devices, sony could put all their older exclusives like god of war and horizon and microsoft still could not compete with their newer exclusives.

You equating Sony's service to Gamepass is inaccurate and disingenuous.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, you continue to play your semantics game. And pretend that console exclusives don't matter and Microsoft has a "problem"

sure thing
There you go again, putting words in others mouth. I haven't once said it's a problem. It's a choice they willing made, likely because they are about selling their services now, not Xbox consoles, so making Xbox exclusives isn't a priority. If they wanted to, nothing is stopping them from making actual exclusives, it's a simple choice, because for the however many times, exclusive dosen't mean games they make.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There you go again, putting words in others mouth. I haven't once said it's a problem. It's a choice they willing made, likely because they are about selling their services now, not Xbox consoles, so making Xbox exclusives isn't a priority. If they wanted to, nothing is stopping them from making actual exclusives, it's a simple choice, because for the however many times, exclusive dosen't mean games they make.
Yes, you did. Your initial response to the question in the title "the end of the "xbox has no exclusives problem." Your response: no. I'm not putting words in your mouth. That's exactly what you said.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Why do the anti MS folks want MS to do the same thing as Sony? I'm glad they are taking a different route to providing content.

I'm LOVING that all 3 platforms are different now and not so homogenized. Maybe it's my priviledge speaking because I have all 3 systems and a gaming PC, but I love it.

And it's such a weird argument against MS. I think steam is a fight on two fronts. 1. PC gamers love steam and this is MS way of earning PC gamers trust, and then 2. Use it as a trojan horse to get them to try game pass. Either way, revenue of 100% from game pass or 70% (or more if hitting sales threshold) from steam is still revenue.
tbh I am not anti or pro anything, I just don't understand the strategy of Microsoft in terms of rentability, and many people sum this up by saying they are shooting a bullet on their feet. I remember there was even a small comic where we see a girl stealing the food of an other girl, and for many people Pc "steals" Xbox exclusive games.

To sum up , I wonder if having games on PC is not hurting their consoles'sales. Because they are people hwo say "I bought a ps4 because of this exclusive game", but with Gamepass, such a situation is less likelyto happen in future.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It'll continue next gen because of the "can play it on PC" argument. Even though there is little overlap between the two markets in reality. I recently built the ultimate couch gaming PC to replace my X, but I'm an absolute niche and exception. Everyone I know IRL plays on consoles for the convenience, not the exclusives. They couldn't give a shit how many more pixels and frames my 2080Ti can do. Likewise, PC gamers might buy a console solely to play exclusives, but if they're still spending 95% of their time on PC to play everything else and not contributing to the ecosystem, then surely it's better to simply try and sell to them on their preferred platform instead.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Didn't Phil Spencer say recently (after the Switch Cuphead release) that Xbox weren't releasing anymore of their exclusive games to other platforms?

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that somewhere.
Yeah, he did. But I guess we're just going to ignore that.....because reasons.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Waiting to see if they've figured out how to consistently release quality first. Holding studios doesn't solve this main issue they struggle with.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, you did. Your initial response to the question in the title "the end of the "xbox has no exclusives problem." Your response: no. I'm not putting words in your mouth. That's exactly what you said.
Yes it won't be the end of "Xbox has no exclusives" did you even read the title/OP? Xbox will still not have exclusives.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Imagine actively arguing against expanding access to titles as if it's a negative to a brand. The mental gymnastics behind that argument is so completely ridiculous. MS is giving players more ways to play games. Let's all give credit where it's due.

Maybe someday Sony will open their walled system and start letting people just play their games without having to buy a budget based PC box w/ a Sony logo on it. Wouldn't that be something?

Maybe Nintendo will as well.

Or maybe both of the Japanese console makers will keep putting out little boxes with their logos on them that dominate the worldwide market while MS gets the leftover scraps.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I am not anti or pro anything, I just don't understand the strategy of Microsoft in terms of rentability, and many people sum this up by saying they are shooting a bullet on their feet. I remember there was even a small comic where we see a girl stealing the food of an other girl, and for many people Pc "steals" Xbox exclusive games.

To sum up , I wonder if having games on PC is not hurting their consoles'sales. Because they are people hwo say "I bought a ps4 because of this exclusive game", but with Gamepass, such a situation is less likelyto happen in future.
Like I said before, you're assuming a lot of thought hasn't gone into this by a multi-billion dollar corporation. To my eyes, the number of people who say, exclusively play on PS4 and PC, who was never going to get an Xbox, suddenly deciding they will because of an exclusive is low as can be. So it would make sense to provide them an opportunity to not only get that game on PC, but to woo them into the ecosystem they are creating on PC. I don't really see a downside. It's just, more money at the end of the day.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes it won't be the end of "Xbox has no exclusives" did you even read the title/OP?
Yes, I read the OP. Did you? The title asks if it will be the end of the xbox having no exclusives problem.

So was this not what you were responding to?

Which question in the OP were you responding to then? Your simpler answer of no doesn't really give any clues.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You equating Sony's service to Gamepass is inaccurate and disingenuous.
It really isn't.

If we look at what the services are trying to achieve which is a subscription service that lets you play a large selection of games and eventually ms will copy sony by allowing people to stream those games on multiple platforms. No doubt gamepass is more appealing with newer games on offer.

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018

I think if you gave Microsoft 2 options; more console sales or more Gamepass subs, they'd pick the latter. They don't care where their revenue is coming from as long as that it's the maximum they can get. As for the unsold consoles, I'm sure they'll put it to good use for Xcloud 😉

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I read the OP. Did you? The title asks if it will be the end of the xbox having no exclusives problem.

So was this not what you were responding to?

Which question in the OP were you responding to then? Your simpler answer of no doesn't really give any clues.
The quotes end before "problem". People who say "Xbox has no exclusives" aren't saying "MS make no games" which was in my first post. "Xbox has no exclusives" won't be going away.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
How if they are releasing everything on PC from day 1?
Yeah, it is pretty clear that almost everything will release on PC and Xcloud. Maybe we will see time exclusive but I am not even sure of that.
So it will be "worst" than with the One.

To summarize, it is the end of "Micrososft has no exclusives".

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The quotes end before "problem". People who say "Xbox has no exclusives" aren't saying "MS make no games" which was in my first post. "Xbox has no exclusives" won't be going away.
But the question mark is AFTER problem. So again, I'm not putting words in your mouth. Perhaps if you were clearer with your answer initially.

And it sounds like you are really hoping that that argument doesn't go away. Who exactly is using that argument? Hmm...

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like i hear this for over a generation now.
MS usually start amazingly well and as the generations happen, they lose steam.
They've had studios before and we all know what happened.
The new acquisitions outside of Ninja Theory are rather small....we'll see how they go.
But they are trying for sure.

Also...now that Xbox is more than a console and it's more like a service that has games for more than consoles, the term "exclusive" is kinda more broad for MS games now.
We can play them on our pcs anyway now so it's kinda pointless to discuss MS's exclusives in 2019 like if it were 2013.

How Microsoft started and ended gens in the past is pretty irrelevant now. A subscription service wasn't the foundation of their business model. The new model require sustained content which is why they're buying studios rather than outsourcing most of their exclusives.

Ninja Theory, Obsidian, and Playground aren't small. Initiative isn't staying small.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
But the question mark is AFTER problem. So again, I'm not putting words in your mouth. Perhaps if you were clearer with your answer initially.

And it sounds like you are really hoping that that argument doesn't go away. Who exactly is using that argument? Hmm...
Yes the problem of people saying "Xbox has no exclusives" is the question in the title that I responed too. There's an additional question in the OP, but I wasn't sure if they were asking about if the quality of new I.Ps specifically will improve or just in general, so I ignored it, because it's purely guess work.

Eh, what argument? The one that Xbox has no exclusives? Or what exclusive means? I don't mind arguing about what exclusive means to those who don't know. The other is just a pretty accurate description, there's Halo 5 and a few Kinect games, what else?

Jun 17, 2018
Stating a fact based on what the company is doing and said they will continue to do isn't console warring. What makes something exclusive is not subjective. Xbox the platform will not have exclusives. Like I also said that doesn't mean they make no games, if I said MS have no games it'd be console warring, as it's objectively untrue.
Xbox fans like yourself seem to think exclusive = games developed by, it doesn't.

Did you miss the E3 presentation where Xbox announced that they were moving toward Xbox itself being a platform on both the Xbox hardware and PC?

Games will be exclusive to the Xbox platform, just that platform will be officially available if you have a PC capable of running the games.

So yes, Xbox will have exclusive games but that platform will be inclusive of the PC space as well as the normal Xbox One hardware.

It's a weird and wonderful idea they have but your idea of games not being exclusive is just straight up wrong. Xbox will be making games exclusive to their platform ie Windows store and Xbox hardware.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Did you miss the E3 presentation where Xbox announced that they were moving toward Xbox itself being a platform on both the Xbox hardware and PC?

Games will be exclusive to the Xbox platform, just that platform will be officially available if you have a PC capable of running the games.

So yes, Xbox will have exclusive games but that platform will be inclusive of the PC space as well as the normal Xbox One hardware.

It's a weird and wonderful idea they have but your idea of games not being exclusive is just straight up wrong. Xbox will be making games exclusive to their platform ie Windows store and Xbox hardware.
Already went over that but that doesn't mean they are exclusive to the Xbox Two, the next gen system. Also Steam is not a Xbox platform, they also said they'll be supporting that, if they stop and put stuff only on the Xbox store or whatever they call it, sure they'll be Xbox exclusives, like how TLoU is PlayStation exclusive, but not PS3 or PS4 or PSNow exclusive, or BoTW is Nintendo exclusive. Exclusive doesn't mean "mostly multiplat, but not fully."

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
?
If anything they will have less exclusives than ever it seems, with games (including flagship franchise Halo) going to PC (Steam even) and Gamepass being there as well

Some of the more fitting games are even showing up on Switch.

At some point, maybe they'll even wake up and realize that the profit is to use their studios to have a multiplatform output and multi-million sellers on top of mobile F2P stuff and a sub service of their first party output to place on everything including XCloud to stream on nearly everything, and finally drop the hardware production which seems like a dead end for them, at least to me.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Learn what exclusive actually means, hint it's doesn't mean "not on PS4" you aren't exclusive if you are available on multiple separate platforms. No amount of mental gymnastics and poorly thought out arguments will change this.

Irrelevant also doesn't mean they don't matter, it means they aren't relevant to the discussion. Something selling best on 1 of it's multiple platforms doesn't make it any more exclusive.
Exclusive comes from the word exclude.

A game could be on 99 platforms and exclude one. It would be exclusive to those platforms.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Exclusive comes from the word exclude.

A game could be on 99 platforms and exclude one. It would be exclusive to those platforms.
I know, unlike most I know what exclusive means, but no one calls Call of Duty PlayStation exclusive do they? Because it's on different platforms, owned by different corporations. Exclusive when referring to entertainment products is clear.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
People who buy Xbox next gen who weren't knee deep in the ecosystem this gen will most likely do it for Game a Pass over exclusives. Console "exclusives" just mean you have the right to buy something on only one console. Nobody who's knee deep in PlayStation or Nintendo is saying to themselves they don't have enough games to choose from. That's not changing.

The Game Pass experience is different. It's a value proposition and game discovery experience that's exciting in of itself. That's why I think this "exclusive" talk is outdated. If you look at attach rates, average Xbox gamer has bought less than 1 exclusive this entire gen. People aren't spending $500 on a 2nd console for the right to buy a handful of exclusives when they have backlogs not getting any better with backwards compatibility next gen. They might do it, however, because Game Pass is both a value and experience.

The conversation should change to "at what point is the Game Pass value proposition good enough to get people to jump into Xbox ecosystem in addition to whatever they have now".

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I know, but no one calls Call of Duty PlayStation exclusive do they?
What is the context? There are some aspects of the game that are exclusive to the PS4, like the timed exclusive DLC that goes to the console first. The exclusive beta.

English is a rather simple language. Some platforms are either barred from accessing some content for some time, or barred in totality i.e. excluded.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
People who buy Xbox next gen who weren't knee deep in the ecosystem this gen will most likely do it for Game a Pass over exclusives. Console "exclusives" just mean you have the right to buy something on only one console. Nobody who's knee deep in PlayStation or Nintendo is saying to themselves they don't have enough games to choose from. That's not changing.

The Game Pass experience is different. It's a value proposition and game discovery experience that's exciting in of itself. That's why I think this "exclusive" talk is outdated. If you look at attach rates, average Xbox gamer has bought less than 1 exclusive this entire gen. People aren't spending $500 on a 2nd console for the right to buy a handful of exclusives when they have backlogs not getting any better with backwards compatibility next gen. They might do it, however, because Game Pass is both a value and experience.

The conversation should change to "at what point is the Game Pass value proposition good enough to get people to jump into Xbox ecosystem in addition to whatever they have now".
I feel like that's a completely different discussion, but a more interesting one than this. I'd phrase it as when does Gamepass become big enough to be considered it's own platform though, instead of a service under others. Though it'd probably be through Xcloud I guess.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
It really isn't.

If we look at what the services are trying to achieve which is a subscription service that lets you play a large selection of games and eventually ms will copy sony by allowing people to stream those games on multiple platforms. No doubt gamepass is more appealing with newer games on offer.
PS now is a good service but they aren't even close qualitatively. Loads of older titles available with some newer ones as well on PS Now. Gamepass is a different beast which transforms buying habits you have Brand New and old MS games available all without any compromise in quality. With gamepass you will never have to purchase an MS published game again. Look im not trying to bash PSnow I mean i think there is close to 1000 games on there but game pass is a game changer though. Looking forward gamepass only gets better. Gamepass gets better over time. When you consider the cadence of releases that will be happening over the years it becomes a value snowball. The "PSnow too" shit gots to disappear. It's nonsense.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
What is the context? There are some aspects of the game that are exclusive to the PS4, like the timed exclusive DLC that goes to the console first. The exclusive beta.

English is a rather simple language. Some platforms are either barred from accessing some content for some time, or barred in totality i.e. excluded.
The context was what you provided. But I stealth edited in a response to this question as I knew it's were you'd take it. But I'll repeat myself basically we know what exclusive means when when it comes to entertainment products, games especially, which doesn't really have all the different regional platforms, a game on multiple platforms isn't exclusive to any one of them, it just isn't on X or Y, especially if those platforms aren't owned by the same corporation. You can widen the definition and say it's Microsoft exclusive, PlayStation exclusive, Nintendo exclusive, but that doesn't mean it's exclusive to any individual platform under them. Anything wider than that and it's just meaningless, just saying Xbox/PS/Nintendo developed games would be more accurate at that point.

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
nah, people will still use it as a barometer for "how bad xbox is compared to PS5"

its tribalism and silly as fuck
I don't think all of it can be dismissed as tribalism, because this happens to every console with limited exclusives. I was very critical of the PS3 at the start of it's generation for example (despite generally liking PS) and have done the same for Xbox this time. And tons of hardcore Nintendo fans didn't even bother picking up a Wii U because of how insane the droughts were.

If the games are there, then there's nothing to complain about. So if Xbox manages to get a steady stream of great games coming next gen, I'd imagine the general discourse surrounding Xbox will be much more positive.

Grimace McRib

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I've been knee deep in the Xbox ecosystem because that's where my friends game. I don't ever see Microsoft coming close to the amount of amazing exclusives that Sony has, and that's ok. It's the reason I own a PS4 pro, strictly for those exclusives. But to be honest, I hardly ever touch them (outside of the Last of Us) and have all of them in my library. The reason I'm on my Xbox so much is because of my friends. Then you add backwards compatibility, enhanced backwards compatibility, gamepass, and the best console hardware out there.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
They'll aim higher than that, but you're not wrong.

Sony gave bend, guerrilla, and sucker punch 4-5 years to make the transition to AAA studios, and gave Santa Monica almost that long to reboot god of war. I doubt MS has that patience for these new acquisitions.
I'm not sure if it's the right way of thinking about it, but the analogy in my head is that for next gen, Sony exclusives will be a sniper rifle, and Microsoft exclusives will be a shotgun.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Xbox has plenty of first party offerings. I think they're mostly lame and dislike the majority of them, but they shouldn't cather to me, they should focus on their fans and people who like the brand. Its as simple as that.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The context was what you provided. But I stealth edited in a response to this question as I knew it's were you'd take it. But I'll repeat myself basically we know what exclusive means when when it comes to entertainment products, games especially, which doesn't really have all the different regional platforms, a game on multiple platforms isn't exclusive to any one of them, it just isn't on X or Y, especially if those platforms aren't owned by the same corporation. You can widen the definition and say it's Microsoft exclusive, PlayStation exclusive, Nintendo exclusive, but that doesn't mean it's exclusive to any individual platform under them.
Nah. People cannot come up with terms or look at terms in ways that suits their argument.

Call of Duty is a multi-platform game that has exclusive rights (timed or permanent) linked to the PlayStation brand. Timed exclusive content or exclusive DLC is not something that came in this generation, it has existed since the last generation. And you can essentially blame Microsoft for that.

Then you have games that simply show up to some platforms and exclude others, either for some time, or in totality. Games that Microsoft makes available to Game Pass are exclusive to that because that is the tool they would love to distribute their games on. The market has moved, and it is not only Microsoft that is moving in that direction.

Sony has PSN, and that is a service that has come to PC. Sony themselves have stated that they are open to some of their exclusive endeavors coming to PC. It would open up their reach to potential customers, increase the number of platforms that the content is exclusive to, but it wou;d still exclude some platforms.

This is something that has been trending for over a decade in gaming. So it surprises me that we now see people looking to rewrite the English language.....

There was a time when Soul Calibur IV launched: Yoda was an exclusive character to the Xbox 360, Darth Vader was an exclusive character to PS3. The game was multi-platform, but it was further segmented when it came to additional characters. The meaning of exclusive did not change then, I see no reason as to why it should change now.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
It'll move from "Xbox has no exclusives" during the first several years while the new studios ramp up, to "Xbox has no GOTY exclusives" until the platform has had several years of contenders in a row.

That's essentially the path that the PS3 and early PS4 years had to go through.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Unless there are some Xbox-only exclusives next gen then I won't be purchasing it at all.

Any Microsoft exclusive game I want to play, I can play on PC without having to own an Xbox. It's not tribalism, or fanboyism, it's common sense.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
It's on Steam, so no.

Gears 5 on Steam requires you to sign into an Xbox account and use Xbox services and allows cross play with Xbox One consoles. It's still an Xbox exclusive by your own definition.

"While Gears 5 ventures beyond Microsoft's in-house storefront, the game still features deep-rooted ties to Xbox Live. Gears 5 requires players to sign into a free Xbox account warns the Steam listing, either via a new or existing profile. According to Microsoft, Xbox Live brings the Gears 5 experience together, supporting cross-play with Xbox One and Windows 10, while hooking into Xbox social features and achievements. "

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Well it doesn't make sense for Xbox to have exclusives. The hardware sales are just not there for Xbox. It's better to have MS software on more than 1 platform.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Unless there are some Xbox-only exclusives next gen then I won't be purchasing it at all.

Any Microsoft exclusive game I want to play, I can play on PC without having to own an Xbox. It's not tribalism, or fanboyism, it's common sense.

Obviously Microsoft is fine with this. They get to sell more games this way.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

It is funny when people act like playing Xbox games on PC is somehow sticking it to MS though.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. People cannot come up with terms or look at terms in ways that suits their argument.

Call of Duty is a multi-platform game that has exclusive rights (timed or permanent) linked to the PlayStation brand. Timed exclusive content or exclusive DLC is not something that came in this generation, it has existed since the last generation. And you can essentially blame Microsoft for that.

Then you have games that simply show up to some platforms and exclude others, either for some time, or in totality. Games that Microsoft makes available to Game Pass are exclusive to that because that is the tool they would love to distribute their games on. The market has moved, and it is not only Microsoft that is moving in that direction.

Sony has PSN, and that is a service that has come to PC. Sony themselves have stated that they are open to some of their exclusive endeavors coming to PC. It would open up their reach to potential customers, increase the number of platforms that the content is exclusive to, but it wou;d still exclude some platforms.

This is something that has been trending for over a decade in gaming. So it surprises me that we now see people looking to rewrite the English language.....

There was a time when Soul Calibur IV launched: Yoda was an exclusive character to the Xbox 360, Darth Vader was an exclusive character to PS3. The game was multi-platform, but it was further segmented when it came to additional characters. The meaning of exclusive did not change then, I see no reason as to why it should change now.
I agree, which is why I use exclusive to games which are only exclusive to 1 platform, not multiple. We have a very accurate name for them, multiplat.
Call of Duty is on PC, PS4 and Xbox One, using your logic and the very basic definition on exclusive, like you said, it'd be accurate to call it PS4 exclusive because it's not on Switch. I'm sure you agree that's silly.

You also seem to be another confusing made/funded by and exclusive to a platform. MS make plenty of games, the Xbox One does not have plenty of exclusives.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
It is funny when people act like playing Xbox games on PC is somehow sticking it to MS though.

Who said I was "sticking" it to Microsoft? I even typed their name. What an odd comment.

If anything, I was "sticking" to those that believe not wanting (or even needing) to buy a console is tribalism or fanboyism.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
nah, people will still use it as a barometer for "how bad xbox is compared to PS5"

its tribalism and silly as fuck
It wasn't that silly this gen. The far in between exclusives mostly disappointed compared tot he competition. Comparitively many games got cancelled, the first half of the gen was marred with broken promises on the software front. "No exclusives" for some people also just means the few that are there kinda suck. The way people tried to convince themselves next E3 will be MS' big one throughout the entire gen was something to behold.

If people still say it after all the new studios put out good content, then it will be indeed silly. Before that, I would be inclined to agree with the sentiment.