When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Just for fun, VR4Player.fr just posted a video of his renders for a few imaginative PS5 boxes.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Since we have not much to talk about , Here are few Osiris "predictions"Recently :(non of it is fact so please act accordingly)

ps5 is abit stronger than xsx(he says recent numbers are 11.7 TF vs 12.4 TF)this contradicts Klee number but could be MS and Sony give varying target sheets to devs to prevent leaks and understand where it comes from.

Xbox first year line up is better than Sony. Few big timed exclusives (rocksteady)and a big ip being now owned by MS will make appearance (it's either tech land dying light 2 or a Japanese ip,,,, maybe they r acquiring a studios with that ip or just buying the ip from publisher ? Which sounds like an ip from Konami to me ) his messages are too cryptic to decode properly lol . Take away is that MS line up in first year is better than Sony.

ssd is faster on ps5

Cpu is faster on xsx
Tbh sounds like hes taken popular theories/leaks and has just kinda mashed it all together

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe this is where the DS lightbar has gone (if, indeed, it is gone)? A Sony patent application for an inside-out tracking system. Looks a lot like a variant of Steam Lighthouse tech, projector(s) flood the environment with beams of invisible light, photosensors on the controller or HMD detect those beams and work out position/orientation.

Systems and methods for using multiple MEMS projectors to determine a position of a photosensor of an HMD or another controller

Could this be the "camera" that early rumors said the DS5 would have?

Ok, back to bed now 😴

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ah that quote. I thought we've already established that the "bingo" referred to another part of the post he quoted, not the TF number...
It referred to TF number and not clock or cu as he clarified later to a user saying "this guy gets it" when the person wrote Klee most probably is referring to TF number

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Since we have not much to talk about , Here are few Osiris "predictions"Recently :(non of it is fact so please act accordingly)

ps5 is abit stronger than xsx(he says recent numbers are 11.7 TF vs 12.4 TF)this contradicts Klee number but could be MS and Sony give varying target sheets to devs to prevent leaks and understand where it comes from.

Xbox first year line up is better than Sony. Few big timed exclusives (rocksteady)and a big ip being now owned by MS will make appearance (it's either tech land dying light 2 or a Japanese ip,,,, maybe they r acquiring a studios with that ip or just buying the ip from publisher ? Which would sound like an ip from Konami to me ) his messages are too cryptic to decode properly lol . Take away is that MS line up in first year is better than Sony.

ssd is faster on ps5

Cpu is faster on xsx
I think he is also teasing a list of games:

(1)Again I shall be ready as night changes to day.
(2)Óðinn
(3)June 23,1991
(4)Tomaszkiewicz
(5)対馬幽霊
(6)Bufonidae 8k
(7) George R. R. Martin

(1)Something from ready at dawn
(2)God of War 2
(3)Sonic
(4)Cyberpunk
(5)Ghost of Tshushima
(6)Battletoads (he says it is an 8k game)
(7)Elden Ring

Sonic hype if true!!

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well if they r to be believed MS has acquired techland or a studio from techland . Interesting times ahead

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
It referred to TF number and not clock or cu as he clarified later to a user saying "this guy gets it" when the person wrote Klee most probably is referring to TF number
Weird that he would get so specific with XBX numbers when he basically said he can't get any more specific with PS5 info or his friend would get in trouble.
Might be a difference in NDAs or something else.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I'm definitely not a fan of money-hatting, and applaud Phil's in-principle stand against it, however, if Sony is going around and money-hatting games while Microsoft is not, then that will definitely hand Sony an advantage, and I'm not sure how much Phil's principles will mean to me if we see another console cycle similar to this one where (I assume that) 3rd parties decide to not release on Xbox because the time and effort isn't worth the install base.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Can someone remind Sony they are releasing a console this year?

LOL they just spoke at CES but i get it everyone's hungry for information

Xbox first year line up is better than Sony. Few big timed exclusives (rocksteady)and a big ip being now owned by MS will make appearance (it's either tech land dying light 2 or a Japanese ip,,,, maybe they r acquiring a studios with that ip or just buying the ip from publisher ? Which would sound like an ip from Konami to me ) his messages are too cryptic to decode properly lol . Take away is that MS line up in first year is better than Sony.

ssd is faster on ps5

Cpu is faster on xsx

Timed exclusive for a game that's traditionally 3rd party is just a shitty practice...

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Would that be wise? They already have a zombie game developer.

I found Dying Light much much more engaging than State of Decay 2, even with the latter having a certain charm. You can never have enough great devs. What I will say is I believe Techland is also a publisher so it may be more complicated than that. Although ironically Techland published InXile's Torment: Tides of Numenera.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Why is reconstruction even a thing? Reconstruction is a tool that developers can use to get more out of a system that is not as capable. It is the same as seeing dynamic resolution in games. In essence it is something that developers will go to if they need to, and if they don't, they will simply do the simple thing which is to output native resolutions.

I... no, dude, this is not how it works. Reconstructed 4K is currently used this way because of mid-gen, sure, but it can absolutely be targeted by a dev team as the base resolution for a game in order to make it look and run better than a hypothetical alternate version of that game that targeted native 4K. "A system that is not as capable" means nothing, as depending entirely on the game being made any of the new machines could be incapable.

This is the reason why you see a lot more of dynamic resolution on the launch Xbox One and Xbox One S, or some funny resolutions like 900p or in between while you see native 1080p on the PS4 for most games.

When you move to the mid gen refresh, what do you see? You tend to see more native 4K games running on Xbox One X, and checker board rendering being a thing on the PS4 Pro. In short, developers are not tripping over themselves to get their games looking 'massively better' by simply reconstructing a 720p image to higher resolutions or struggling with 1800p when they can output 4K with no issues.

Firstly, using a single gen where reconstruction only became a thing halfway through is a minuscule sample size and useless for predicting anything in the future, as is using the way devs use mid-gen consoles with tiny install bases to predict how they will use new base consoles. Secondly, the reason why you don't see 720p PS4 games or whatever is because the image quality issues you get when dropping to something like 720p or checkerboard 1080p are MUCH more obvious than dropping from native 4K to 1440p or checkerboard 4K. The higher resolutions get, the smaller the differences between them. Native 1080p on PS4 is genuinely beneficial. Native 4K on PS5 and XSX, on the other hand, is an utter waste.

Edit: Also, I just remembered that we have seen reconstructed 1080p used on PS4 despite these issues, with Rainbow Six Siege. Between the improvements in reconstruction techniques and the practice devs have gotten in applying them, along with native resolution being less important than it used to be, this approach is likely to grow. And if it doesn't, that won't make it not a dumb decision.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh sounds like hes taken popular theories/leaks and has just kinda mashed it all together

well one problem is - once you've had a few actual rumours, then a million pastebins riffing off those, then some more actual rumours - they all start looking the same and its difficult to pick wheat from chaff

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017

Xbox first year line up is better than Sony. Few big timed exclusives (rocksteady)and a big ip being now owned by MS will make appearance (it's either tech land and dying light 2 or A studio from techland,,,, maybe they r acquiring a studios with that ip or just buying the ip from publisher ? Which would sound like an ip from Konami to me ) his messages are too cryptic to decode properly lol . Take away is that MS line up in first year is better than Sony.

ssd is faster on ps5

Cpu is faster on xsx
I'm not saying what they're stating is inaccurate but it's worth noting that Osiris has yet to predict something that has come true. They also have not been vetted over here yet, which considering the last time they posted is a bit suspicious. Lastly they claim they can't go into details of specific games out of fear for their sources but have no qualms with divulging in detail a vertical slice trailer from an unannounced game.

Again, they absolutely could be genuine, but take everything they say with a big pinch of salt

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
there was hardware added to pro to support CB but I dont know how many devs actually leveraged it, considering it was only on the relatively lower selling pro
There were new instructions to handle texture gradients etc, to allow easier use with CB. (If I remember correctly.)
Also ROPs had now ability to write ID buffer in same pass as color/Z/stencil.

Dark Souls remaster used id buffer hardware on Ps4 pro and some other features.

Really hope in next generation all these new features will be present on all machines, should be nice for programmers.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Someone's paying attention!

One thing I do wish the ERA forum software would do is not have to link to an actual page, just link to a post, I use 100 posts per page and I always have to divide people's page numbers in half :).
its because everyone links it incorrectly

just need to right click the time stamp and copy link and you get the post link without the page number.

One thing I do wish the ERA forum software would do is not have to link to an actual page, just link to a post, I use 100 posts per page and I always have to divide people's page numbers in half :).

Same problem here. Actually forum software does provide proper link, people aren't using it though.
sitename/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot10-we-aim-to-transition-those-from-ot9-at-a-pace-never-seen-before.165711/post-28433266 - that link will take you to specific post regardless of paging.

And if you have this kind of link
sitename/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot8-the-dark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/page-76#post-27484006
you can manually edit it to the template above, just remove 'page-XX#' part and you'll be golden.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying what they're stating is inaccurate but it's worth noting that Osiris has yet to predict something that has come true. They also have not been vetted over here yet, which considering the last time they posted is a bit suspicious. Lastly they claim they can't go into details of specific games out of fear for their sources but have no qualms with divulging in detail a vertical slice trailer from an unannounced game.

Again, they absolutely could be genuine, but take everything they say with a big pinch of salt

Exactly. Also this studio acquisition has been rumored for a while so he didn't come up with something new.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/624986-microsoft-polish-studio-acquisition?amp

https://wccftech.com/microsoft-xbox-game-studios-poland-shopping/

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/12/25/xbox-one-microsoft-developer-techland-cd-projekt-red/

https://gamerant.com/microsoft-cd-projekt-red-buy-rumor/

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
Klee said xsx in his spec sheet is around 12.08 TF and Osiris is saying it's 11.75TF
Could both be right depending on time they received the information. Dev kits I assume get weaker with each "prototype".

Or maybe one has sources with first party and not third? I'm guessing first party would have the new Dev kits sooner than third.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

(2)Óðinn
(3)June 23,1991
(4)Tomaszkiewicz
(5)対馬幽霊
(6)Bufonidae 8k
(7) George R. R. Martin

(2)God of War 2
(3)Sonic
(4)Cyberpunk
(5)Ghost of Tshushima
(7)Elden Ring

Sonic hype if true!!

how is this an insider leak? We already know that all of these games are being made.

Dec 10, 2019
EDIT: A new detailed Navi photo became available soon after I posted this, making the measurements here obsolete. I've left them alone here, but revised versions of both images can be found in this later post by me.

Here's stuff I've been working on. The first image is a revised version of something I posted previously. New images of Navi 10, plus of Navi 14, have slightly changed the size estimates. This can serve as a guide for anyone who wants to "assemble" any arbitrary nextgen APU for fun.

The second image is my own current predictions, as well as alternate configurations, for both PS5 and XSX. Some of it may seem arbitrary, but I assure you there's some reasoning--specious as it may be--behind all of it. I hope it at least serves as a good jumping-off point.

naviblocksizes2gjb7.png

nextgenpredictbkkar.png

Even if you ignore my choices among these options, I think there's some takeaways that should apply in general:

* Bad news for Team 14TF...it's possible, but really unlikely as it'd require so many specifics.
* Even containing much the same CPU and GPU, there are still choices that could be made to differentiate the platforms
* 8 TF is still technically on the table, even if it seems very implausible to me (and many others)
One in a while there is a good post in this topic.
Buy why is the max bandwidth for Xbox Series X prediction lower than Playstation 5 with a wider bus? I see 320bit for Series X and 256bit for Ps5.
I know there were rumors for Ps5 having higher clocked GDDR6, but if you talk about possible max clock, that should be reflected in the potential maximum.
I also always thought Microsoft would go for 3 Shader Engines. It's time we get to see big Navi and how many Shader Eninges those cards will have.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Why are people ok with Microsoft or Sony buying 3rd party devs? I'd rather have EA,Ubisoft or Activision purchase those devs so they'll continue to be multiplat. I wasn't a fan of Microsoft buying Ninja Theory or Double Fine i just wish they stopped targeting 3rd party devs it's bad for the industry unless those companies where close to becoming insolvent, similar to the Obsidian situation which made sense why Microsoft bought them. The whole rumor of Sony buying Zenimax makes my head hurt! Why would gamers want that? It would change the industry as we know it and would have detrimental long term effects.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Dual GPUs will bring a whole bag of worms along with them. PS5 development will be hell, except for VR titles, VR developers will adore a dual GPU. If the second GPU is for RT and RT only, it might be something very small dedicated to building data structures (like K-D trees) but anything else should probably have to sit inside the same silicon as the main GPU. We already know that AMD is going to modify their TMUs for RT, maybe increase the L0 cache too, so I doubt anything but an external data structure building silicon will be effective.
I've completed remeasuring the different functional blocks in Navi, based on the new Fritzchens Fritz die shot. Here's the new figures. I've also updated my predictions based on this, and to account for the likely need for additional ROPs and cache in the higher-WGP PS5. If any questions arise, let me know.

Mecha Meister , I saw that someone had asked my prior post be threadmarked. If you decide to do this, please mark this post instead. Of course, you may also determine that neither is of sufficient significance.

naviblocksizes2y9j75.png

nextgenpredict27vjge.png
I know that we can't see it as official, but the Github leak did show 56 active CUs in the XSX. It implies that there are only 2 SEs and 56 CUs. I'm not saying that MS couldn't have changed things since, but it does seem to at least imply that 3 SEs are not needed for a 60CU GPU.
Am I wrong to not want bluepoints "remake" to be demon's souls? Like we have so many games like that already and with BC we can still play the more recent iterations of such games.

Is it wrong for me to wish for a PS5 Bluepoint Remake of Vanquish instead?
It's not wrong, I agree with the part about Demon's Souls. I'm a big DS fan, but I feel like it's an evolving franchise and DS3 was like some sort of the greatest hits of the series while having the most polished mechanics the series had ever seen. If BP remakes the original Demon's Souls, we might get a game that's inferior to DS3 in every way except for graphics, and graphics are not why I play DS games. I mean, I love BP, they are technical masters, but I still haven't seen them dive into gameplay mechanics and reinvent them. I really doubt they can out-do FromSoftware in making a souls game, so what's the point?

I would rather see them work on something else, a classic that really needs a new release. How about an RE2-esque remake of ICO? Or maybe MGS3? How about J&D or 2005's GOW? Sony has enough interesting games to remake, Demon's Souls isn't a game that begs for remaking IMO.

If the list on gamesradar is true (https://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-pro-confirmed-games-list/), they said Ratchet native resolution is 1800p and then reconstruct at 2160p by temporal injection.
I think this game is still the best looking one on Pro (but HDR is better on Decima Engine) and I really hope some of those wizard at Insomniac will be part of the ICE Team.
Ratchet native is 1800p? Are you sure? I've never heard of that. I thought Insomniac is keeping its temporal injection tech under wraps for now. If their original image is 1800p, no wonder their reconstruction technic looks better then anyone else's, their starting point has 40% more pixels than most reconstruction technics to 4K. But I doubt that, if they can hit 1800p native then they would have probably not bothered with reconstruction at all.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
I can't buy Rocksteady's game being a timed exclusive for Xbox. Maybe a marketing deal (though, they've traditionally had a marketing partnership for their games with PlayStation).

Also, why would MS seek out 3rd party timed exclusives when they now have a strong stable of 1st Party devs?

the same reason Sony would to fill out the portfolio for the year while your 1st party can get the games done

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Day 67.
Still drifting across the ocean...with no land in sight.

Why are people ok with Microsoft or Sony buying 3rd party devs? I'd rather have EA,Ubisoft or Activision purchase those devs so they'll continue to be multiplat. I wasn't a fan of Microsoft buying Ninja Theory or Double Fine i just wish they stopped targeting 3rd party devs it's bad for the industry unless those companies where close to becoming insolvent, similar to the Obsidian situation which made sense why Microsoft bought them. The whole rumor of Sony buying Zenimax makes my head hurt! Why would gamers want that? It would change the industry as we know it and would have detrimental long term effects.
You have to mentally prepare yourself for more buyouts as the ecosystem wars are just really beginning.
MS particularly needs a lot of studios to keep pumping content on GamePass with regular schedule in mind.
Same if Sony wants to dabble in PC gaming, buying Zenimax holds some sense if they want to rebrand their PC launcher (still unlikely imo).

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
its because everyone links it incorrectly

just need to right click the time stamp and copy link and you get the post link without the page number.
Same problem here. Actually forum software does provide proper link, people aren't using it though.
sitename/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot10-we-aim-to-transition-those-from-ot9-at-a-pace-never-seen-before.165711/post-28433266 - that link will take you to specific post regardless of paging.

And if you have this kind of link
sitename/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot8-the-dark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/page-76#post-27484006
you can manually edit it to the template above, just remove 'page-XX#' part and you'll be golden.

Ah thank you both!

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
I trust Sony and MS to treat a studio with care more than I do EA or Activision. I guess some people would be concerned about the games possibly no longer being released as multi-plat, but I imagine platforms (as we perceive them now) may be irrelevant in 5 years and even Sony might start supporting PC more and more and maybe one day things would even launch day and date.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019

(2)Óðinn
(3)June 23,1991
(4)Tomaszkiewicz
(5)対馬幽霊
(6)Bufonidae 8k
(7) George R. R. Martin

(2)God of War 2
(3)Sonic
(4)Cyberpunk
(5)Ghost of Tshushima
(7)Elden Ring

Sonic hype if true!!

Osirisblack was talking about Xbox with this list

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

full version of the godfall internal trailer from early 2019 has leaked.

I'm actually pretty excited about this game's potential.
Can't wait to see what a current build of the game looks like when they finally show it off.
Someone said the build from the video was from early 2019 so it might look significantly better now.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm definitely not a fan of money-hatting, and applaud Phil's in-principle stand against it, however, if Sony is going around and money-hatting games while Microsoft is not, then that will definitely hand Sony an advantage, and I'm not sure how much Phil's principles will mean to me if we see another console cycle similar to this one where (I assume that) 3rd parties decide to not release on Xbox because the time and effort isn't worth the install base.
What Phil's principle? They have been announcing timed exclusives every single E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.