When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Yep and i say this as a PS-inclined gamer...WTF are they doing ??

Games. That´s what they are doing.
PS4 still has a lot for this year.

They don't need to talk about the PS5 in January when the console is coming out in like 10 months. It's that simple.
If people chose to believe the February conference, that's not Sony's fault.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Smh no wonder Klee left.

Phil himself said to do the math, that it's twice as powerful as the One X and over 8x the One S. Doing the math that we can, as Phil has stated we should: flops are flops and in pure numbers we know the One X is 6TF so the simple math people can't seem to grasp, double = 12TF. Flops are flops, RDNA happens to be 1.25x more efficient, but that doesn't make it not double the TF all of a sudden. Phil Spencer himself laid out the numbers, people just seem to can't do the simple math for themselves. It's not up for debate lol. Phil retweeted DF's article saying they do good work when they came to the 12TF conclusion as well.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still don't think any of the systems are 12TF.
With Microsoft, if it is, they would have at least said 9x XB1S.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Smh no wonder Klee left.

Phil himself said to do the math, that it's twice as powerful as the One X and over 8x the One S. Doing the math that we can, as Phil has stated we should: flops are flops and in pure numbers we know the One X is 6TF so the simple math people can't seem to grasp, double = 12TF. Flops are flops, RDNA happens to be 1.25x more efficient, but that doesn't make it not double the TF all of a sudden. Phil Spencer himself laid out the numbers, people just seem to can't do the simple math for themselves. It's not up for debate lol. Phil retweeted DF's article saying they do good work when they came to the 12TF conclusion as well.
That's exactly what that means and why they might be more vague on that.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
For what it's worth, the poster I mentioned earlier from the other site just clarified that his source at SIE is a game developer, who is the buddy of his who says the boxes are 9.5-10 TF's. His "bigly" source does not work at SIE.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Windows Central reported 12 TF Navi in December. This is the most complete rumored spec list we've gotten from a site with a history of accurate information. Tom Warren of the Verge has also said he's heard 12 TF Navi. Though officially nothing is confirmed.

Anecdotally, the Github leak points to 56 compute units which should be capable of 12 TF at reasonable clock speeds. This also fits with it being 2X the power of the 1X (though there's disputes as to how to interpret that reference).

Here's the other side of your question: Has there been any disputes (from trusted websites, verified insiders, etc.) which state that the Series X is less than 12 TF Navi?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Smh no wonder Klee left.

Phil himself said to do the math, that it's twice as powerful as the One X and over 8x the One S. Doing the math that we can, as Phil has stated we should: flops are flops and in pure numbers we know the One X is 6TF so the simple math people can't seem to grasp, double = 12TF. Flops are flops, RDNA happens to be 1.25x more efficient, but that doesn't make it not double the TF all of a sudden. Phil Spencer himself laid out the numbers, people just seem to can't do the simple math for themselves. It's not up for debate lol
How is not up for debate? Double the power doesn't mean double the flops. Unless i misunderstood you. It can be double the flops or it can be double the power but with not double the flops.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Windows Central reported 12 TF Navi in December. This is the most complete rumored spec list we've gotten from a site with a history of accurate information. Tom Warren of the Verge has also said he's heard 12 TF Navi. Though officially nothing is confirmed.

Anecdotally, the Github leak points to 56 compute units which should be capable of 12 TF at reasonable clock speeds. This also fits with it being 2X the power of the 1X (though there's disputes as to how to interpret that reference).

Here's the other side of your question: Has there been any disputes (from trusted websites, verified insiders, etc.) which state that the Series X is less than 12 TF Navi?

And Phil Spencer retweeted the Windows Central article with the 12TF thing, no ?
In my opinion, even if it is not "over 12TF", it will surely be very close, like 11,5+. Will depend on clocks, and won't change much in the end.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is not up for debate? Double the power doesn't mean double the flops. Unless i misunderstood you. It can be double the flops or it can be double the power but with not double the flops.
Last I heard on the last OT was that a TFlops from next gen is not the same a TFlop from this gen. Lockhart is supposedly 4TF but more powerful than One X's 6TF.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Still don't think any of the systems are 12TF.
With Microsoft, if it is, they would have at least said 9x XB1S.

Yup I have a feeling both consoles are around 9.2tf. It fits Microsoft's narrative of 2x Xbox One X when factoring in NAVI vs GCN performance.

I think both companies know people will be disappointed in the numbers and are hoping to instead wow people with the actual games instead.

If Microsoft had a 12tf machine, I think Phil would have just said so. My money is on 8-9.2tf. Could be PS5 is 8 but has the faster SSD and XSX is 9.2 with a slower SSD. Real world perfomance being nearly equal.

Just my speculation though. A 12tf (nearly the performance of a 15tf 2080ti)(which retails for around $1200) is extremely unlikely for a $500 console.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
"So when we do the math, we're over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is."

Double the GPU power in doing the math is 12TF plain and simple. Yes RDNA is more efficient but it's still double the gpu power. 12TF GCN in math is the same power as a 12TF RDNA, RDNA is simply more efficient so yes it will perform even better than a theoretical GCN countert, but it's still double the 6TF gcn in "doing the math" People trying to do conversions are being disingenuous.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup I have a feeling both consoles are around 9.2tf. It fits Microsoft's narrative of 2x Xbox One X when factoring in NAVI vs GCN performance.

I think both companies know people will be disappointed in the numbers and are hoping to instead wow people with the actual games instead.

If Microsoft had a 12tf machine, I think Phil would have just said so. My money is on 8-9.2tf. Could be PS5 is 8 but has the faster SSD and XSX is 9.2 with a slower SSD. Real world perfomance being nearly equal.

Just my speculation though. A 12tf (nearly the performance of a 15tf 2080ti)(which retails for around $1200) is extremely unlikely for a $500 console.
A 12TF AMD card won't be close to a 2080ti as Nvida is more performant per flop.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
When you see how the Playstation Classic bombed, I think it is not SONY alone who doesn't care about BC of PS1 game.

The PS1 mini bombed for far greater reasons than that, including some key titles missing, bad emulation, and the decision to use the OG controllers instead of the DS (which didn't help with the included games). I think Sony rushed the PS1 Classic to justify not caring about BC as opposed to building something to test the marketability of it.

Nintendo sold everybody games that they've largely re-sold gamers every generation and those still flew off the shelf. Sony had zero excuses to fail with the Classic.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they haven't given the official numbers yet, just the "2x the power of Xbox One X" quote from Phil and some of the leaks pointing to 12TFlops as the final target.

Fingers crossed it's true, the meltdowns would be epic if it was less powerful lol

Nah, fanatics are great at downplaying any slights against whatever they're a fan of so "meltdowns" will be minimal. If MS doesn't hit the target most of the conversation will come from the group that champions a different platform. Expect sentences beginning with, "B-b-but..." to be on the rise.

I personally believe the 12tf rumor because I also believe that PS5 will be slightly more powerful, both from things that Klee either said or alluded to. I can't believe one and not the other.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
One metric of qualifying GPU power is measured in flops. 2X flops is 12.
If he is speaking of relative GPU efficiencies, then yes, we will get a lower number.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another tuesday, another disappointment.

giphy.gif
Nintendo and Sony fans in a nutshell

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It needs 56 CUs clocked at 1255mhz to reach 9TF.

1255mhz would be amongst the slowest 7nm GPUs on market, even slower than laptop gpus.

If you want to doubt 12TF, then you should subscribe to a massive GPU (SOC Shot die size irrefutable evidence), clocked at way below reasonable Navi clocks.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Last I heard on the last OT was that a TFlops from next gen is not the same a TFlop from this gen. Lockhart is supposedly 4TF but more powerful than One X's 6TF.
That is what i meant. In my opinion, what Spencer said is, on purpose, ambiguous. If current flops are 'better' than previous ones, we need less of them to do the same, so double the power/performance seems reasonable to align with less than double 'better' flops. But also leaves the door open to think double the flops, even if those are rdna.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys I don't know it has been mentioned or not but the insider Who is saying one source has told him no feb reveal . Just a state of play with box and games.

he said ms and Sony won't reveal the actual TF as they are both around 10 TF .

I m gonna say bs on xsx being 10 TF. Phil retweeted articles were they mentioned 12 Navi tf specifically.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It needs 56 CUs clocked at 1255mhz to reach 9TF.

1255mhz would be amongst the slowest 7nm GPUs on market, even slower than laptop gpus.

If you want to doubt 12TF, then you should subscribe to a massive GPU (SOC Shot die size irrefutable evidence), clocked at way below reasonable Navi clocks.
I agree with the assertion That XSX is most likely 12TF +/- 5%, but it's not not quite irrefutable. We have no idea what size AMD ray tracing hardware will be. Most people are estimating 7-10% increase, but what if it's 20% or more?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Nah, fanatics are great at downplaying any slights against whatever they're a fan of so "meltdowns" will be minimal. If MS doesn't hit the target most of the conversation will come from the group that champions a different platform. Expect sentences beginning with, "B-b-but..." to be on the rise.

I personally believe the 12tf rumor because I also believe that PS5 will be slightly more powerful, both from things that Klee either said or alluded to. I can't believe one and not the other.

I'm hopeful of that too. More power is always nice to have (even if it's far from the most important thing) and the more power they put in now, the less chance they need to do a mid gen refresh later.

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of what the actual numbers are, I fully expect the marking to be "___ time the power of (previous console spec)".

Thats just an easier way to get mass market to understand relative perf increases than speaking to them in TF, architectural differences, bandwidth & clock speeds. That kind of stuff is only really useful in marketing to enthusiasts, so it being toned down in favour of the above makes sense for the majority of marketing.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I agree with the assertion That XSX is most likely 12TF +/- 5%, but it's not not quite irrefutable. We have no idea what size AMD ray tracing hardware will be. Most people are estimating 7-10% increase, but what if it's 20% or more?

That would defeat the purpose of hybrid BVH RT.

The idea is that the fixed-function raytracing hardware can now use the texture system's already existing memory buffers instead of having to store raytracing-specific data locally, which adds to die area and chip complexity. Additionally, since there is no software to allocate resources and schedule work for the fixed-function hardware, pure hardware solutions require an additional hardware scheduler only for RT-specific workloads, which AMD claims its implementation bypasses - the shader processor sends raytracing data down the texture processing path for the fixed-function hardware to process, saving even more die space that would be used in a "classical" hardware solution.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Guys I don't know it has been mentioned or not but the insider from other place is saying one source has told him no feb reveal . Just a state of play with box and games.

he said ms and Sony won't reveal the actual TF as they are both around 10 TF .

I m gonna say bs on xsx being 10 TF. Phil retweeted articles were they mentioned 12 Navi tf specifically.
Eh i'm not saying that it is not 12 but retweet evidence is not exactly compelling

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Games. That´s what they are doing.
PS4 still has a lot for this year.

They don't need to talk about the PS5 in January when the console is coming out in like 10 months. It's that simple.
If people chose to believe the February conference, that's not Sony's fault.
Why do you think they revealed the PS4 in February? Why would they reveal it before they thought they had too?

Status
Not open for further replies.