Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is moving fast so forgive me if this has been answered but who is this guy everyone seems to think is legit saying Oberon 9.2tflops? He only has 180 followers and the Twitter account was just created three days ago. That throws up a lot of red flags on credibility for me.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
A 9TF PS5 would undoubtedly be $399. Which makes the talk of a 4TF $299 Lockhart even more puzzling. Who would sacrifice that much performance just to save $100?

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That doesn't matter to me. If PS5 is more power that's great if not, there's always PS5 pro.

"if no, there's PS5 Pro"

You understand that any of the scenarios speculated in here results in powerful next gen consoles right? So much so that "mid gen refreshes" most likely aren't even needed. We got mid gen refreshes this gen because these consoles were piss weak out of the gate. Even the PS4. Don't let the atrocity of the Xbox One hardware distract you from the simplicity and mediocrity of the PS4 hardware.

8TF PS5? Still capable of 4K60
9TF PS5? still capable of 4K60
10TF PS5? Yep, you guessed it
12-13TF PS5? All of the above

The difference in all of them? Price.Given Sony is most likely going with one SKU, I would have assumed most would prefer the option that gets the box down to $399?

We all know Microsoft is going $499 and they can because they're providing a $249/299/349 option. But unless Sony is secretly doing the same I'd have guessed most would want the $399 box. Because even the $399 one gets 4K60 performance.

Right now, the only thing remotely close to confirmed (and I don't think it's even confirmed) is a 12TF Series X. Which is awesome, because even a "weaker" PS5 that's close to that is still a ginormous upgrade on the Pro, let alone the base PS4.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
This thread is moving fast so forgive me if this has been answered but who is this guy everyone seems to think is legit saying Oberon 9.2tflops? He only has 180 followers and the Twitter account was just created three days ago. That throws up a lot of red flags on credibility for me.

He's been posting on reddit for years regarding AMD GPUs through driver digging and is followed by Komachi.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
None of that is correct. The camera was removed because they had to double the GDDR5 RAM so something had to give way, which turned out to be the camera.

This was all stated by Andrew House and Mark Cerny at the Develop 2014 interview:

IGN reported the exact same thing, as did Dualshockers, and the latter backed it up with promotional images of the camera bundled in that were never actually released to the press, but apparently were mined from Sony's servers.

regardless of what house and Cerny said publicly, several outlets reported the exact same thing- that the exclusion of the camera came FAR later in the process than the inclusion of 8GB of GDDR5, and was done so to gain a competitive advantage over Microsoft.

The LEDs built into the dualshock 4 indicate the same thing. Sony had planned to include the camera as a mandatory accessory, until marketing decisions changed that plan.

you can disagree if you want, but this isn't a new take.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
A 9.2 tflops ps5 will be 7x times more powerfull than a ps4. 3x more powerfull than a ps4 pro. 2x more powerfull than a Xbox one x.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Phil says he believes the new box will be the most powerful, that's a huge statement. In front of millions, at the VGA. Think about that for a second. It's happening.
He said our most powerful Xbox at the VGA. I thought you had new confirmed informations.

Both need to reveal the specs of their systems. All that back and forth is getting annoying. A 9TF PS5 means I will get a new PC as my next-gen system. The same goes for my friends.

OldeManWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Flyover Country
I'd disagree with this.

The PS4 wasn't even supposed to launch at $399. That was a last minute change Sony went for once they caught wind of the Xbox One being $499. The playstation camera was axed from the box to hit the $399 price point, and done so quietly in order to maintain that $100 advantage.

This was coming off of the PS3, Sony's weakest selling console ever, and with Microsoft still being the dominant player in the US. They were confident up until the last second that the PS4 could be sold at a higher price than $399.

The PS5 is in a FAR stronger competitive position, and vendor lock in means few gamers on either side will be switching platforms. From a marketing perspective, there's no reason to skimp on hardware and cut out features to hit the $399 price point- the PS5 will sell out regardless. There ARE several reasons to build the best machine they can at the price the market will bear, though.

I think that's fair, I just can't wrap my head around a $499 price point and transitioning players to the new console faster than ever before.

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
My guess is that XOne SAD was a bit of a market test. Lockhart may be all digital, lower GPU and RAM and half SSD.

And although some people with inside ties say 12TF for Xbox I still think it is comparable to GCN. ie. The 2x power was directly comparable - 12TF GCN or about 10TF RDNA when equating other factors, which is then within the "similar to PS5" range others mention.

Makes more sense but still guessing until we get official specs.
That has been clarified by several people who have been in contact with MS and its all but official XSX is 12 RDNA TF's.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
IGN reported the exact same thing, and backed it up with promotional images of the camera bundled in that were never actually released to the press.

regardless of what house and Cerny said publicly, several outlets reported the exact same thing- that the exclusion of the camera came FAR later in the process than the inclusion of 8GB of GDDR5, and was done so to gain a competitive advantage over Microsoft.

The LEDs built into the dualshock 4 indicate the same thing. Sony had planned to include the camera as a mandatory accessory, until marketing decisions changed that plan.

you can disagree if you want, but this isn't a new take.

You're asking me if I'd trust IGN (who presented zero evidence) over the CEO of SIE and Lead Architect of the PS4. Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me dawg.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ValuablePlayfulInganue-size_restricted.gif

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly 9.2TF PS5 is still pretty great console for 399$. I was always going to buy both PS5 and XBSX anyway at launch, so this changes nothing for me.

We're still getting awesome SSD, HW RT and ZEN2 CPU for all next gen console.

Still it's strange that _rogame didn't find anything about RT or VRS. Maybe not final configuration?

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to finding out the full story on all of this. The chip leaks are very interesting, and obviously complicate things when you consider what we 'thought' we knew after the Series X announcement, Klee, dev rumors etc.

I'm expecting the full reveal to likely show a better comparison than the chip leaks seem to indicate. However, if true, and Microsoft are launching a 12TF Series X - I'll be grabbing an Xbox at launch.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could take you behind the current. Your peers decide what they think is console warring, and the insane amount of reports for it since the tweets were posted speak volumes.

I am here because I want this thread to exist. I have don't create the narrative, I save the ship.

sending you a hug. 95% is for you, 5% is hoping we can avoid closing/splitting the thread. Modding must be tiresome a lot of the time

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, looks like it's a monolithic GPU if it's just a revision of Ariel. I'll be waiting for a midgen console if true!

Let's hope Switch 2.0 is real cause Xbox Series X doesnt make sense unless MS decides to release it officially here, but im not holding my breath.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Microsoft looking to undercut Sony's single PS5 SKU in price?
So what's the play? If sony matches XSX in price, Lockhart never sees light of day. If ps5 is $399 and xsx is $499, lockhart comes out in 2021 to undercut sony? Or lockhart comes if they're both equally priced but makes less sense if ps5 is cheaper?

Jun 23, 2019
None of that is correct. The camera was removed because they had to double the GDDR5 RAM so something had to give way, which turned out to be the camera.

This was all stated by Andrew House and Mark Cerny at the Develop 2014 interview:

Yeah thanks for that. I read that and could have swore it was due to RAM constraints.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think that's fair, I just can't wrap my head around a $499 price point and transitioning players to the new console faster than ever before.

My perspective is that launch buyers aren't price sensitive. Sony's own documents clearly indicate this. Launch buyers spend $1600 over the life of the console, vs. $700 for everyone else.

If Sony is looking to transition gamers to the console quickly, they're not going to do it by lowering the price- they are limited by manufacturing and retail partners by how many units they can sell anyway. All things being equal a PS5 at $399 and one at $499 will sell out at EXACTLY the same rates for several years either way. You transition those gamers on compelling hardware and software- and Sony hasn't really had a platform that was CLEARLY cutting edge at launch since the PS1.

However, If Microsoft ends up being the lead platform for third party games because it's 30% stronger or whatever, that hurts them with the hardcore they care most about and decreases the lifetime spend on the console. Sony wants games bought within the PS ecosystem, not elsewhere.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible

So the fix is in, and we get 82% perf of XSX with 30% less TF

Thank you Jimshed.Mirza
i googled jimshed mirza, google finished the search.... those sons of bitches are reading this thread i swear to god google is the scariest tech company of all time.

anyway, i thought the name spelling was wrong because i dont know anyone who spells Jamshed with an i, but it seems like this particular jimshed does work at amd.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand all the reactions. What has _rogame revealed about Oberon/Ariel in those tweets that people here haven't been talking about for the past 6 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.