Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2019
As a base console owner that doesn't have a Pro or an X, these consoles will be massive leaps to me either way. Especially when I get my 4K TV.

Them blades of grass in Rocket League gonna be so crisp.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
Of course i'm pushing a narrative. Everyone does.
I disagree. At least when it comes to this particular topic anyway. It's perfectly possible to post in here without trying to push anything. But nice to see you're so open about it at least. Although I must say it makes your previous posts about other people pushing narratives kind of pointless and even a little hypocritical. Still, at least I'll know to 'act accordingly for the future' when coming across your posts in this thread :)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So Ariel numbers are compared to Oberon. It seems Ariel and Oberon are different gpus.

See I have a theory that PS5 uses dual Navi 10 GPUs(Oberon & Ariel). And this twitter find goes well with it.

Crazy theory I know but there was a rumor for dual Navi 10 GPU. I am most probably wrong. But just wanted to propose a theory.

lol one on each side of the V.

i think the simpler answer here is that sony is aiming for $399 and for some bizarre reason thought to gimp the gpu.

at the end of the day, this will hurt their bottomline. the fans of their games will stick with them but it will not be used as the main console by enthusiasts. they will lose ps+ subs and digital revenue from the majority of game sales. especially early on in the gen when enthusiasts spend an ungodly amount of money on their fresh new toy.

it might work for them, after all look at the switch selling like hot cakes. but its highly likely that a 9 tflops console will cause the same kind of blowback from the community like the 1.2 tflops xb1 did in 2013. its all about PR and a 9 tflops console will not win you that pr battle and might even alienate their base which was expecting a top of the line gpu instead of a console aimed at casuals.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

So Ariel numbers are compared to Oberon. It seems Ariel and Oberon are different gpus.

See I have a theory that PS5 uses dual Navi 10 GPUs(Oberon & Ariel). And this twitter find goes well with it.

Crazy theory I know but there was a rumor for dual Navi 10 GPU. I am most probably wrong. But just wanted to propose a theory.

Now the V form of the devkit makes sense. A GPU on each side!

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i think the simpler answer here is that sony is aiming for $399 and for some bizarre reason thought to gimp the gpu.

at the end of the day, this will hurt their bottomline. the fans of their games will stick with them but it will not be used as the main console by enthusiasts. they will lose ps+ subs and digital revenue from the majority of game sales. especially early on in the gen when enthusiasts spend an ungodly amount of money on their fresh new toy.

it might work for them, after all look at the switch selling like hot cakes. but its highly likely that a 9 tflops console will cause the same kind of blowback from the community like the 1.2 tflops xb1 did in 2013. its all about PR and a 9 tflops console will not win you that pr battle and might even alienate their base which was expecting a top of the line gpu instead of a console aimed at casuals.

No.

If they manage to release an inferior console at the same or higher price than Xbox - then they're in trouble. But failing that, people will see big leaps in graphics either way.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft. We are all having fun here but MS announced the most powerful next gen console already. Price is the only thing to discuss now regarding how it compares to its competitors.
They want it to be the most powerful next-gen console. But they did not confirm anything. We have to wait until they release their specs.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

You are supposed to use the FFXIII pasta.

Aug 26, 2019
The number of people that would be pissed at a 9TF console accounts for ~50 PS5 sales.

Feb 23, 2019

What would be the benefit of a dual GPU design?

Could they get better yields of 36 CU x2 instead of one big 72 CU chip? Better heat separation?

Would the performance scale similarly, or would there be a big performance hit?

It's an interesting theory and I'd love to believe but I think there's likely too many disadvantages for it to make sense

I'd love Sony to go crazy and build an 18 TF monster but there's no way they'd be able to fit that in a good power envelope

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019

Man 95% of gamer market doesn't know what tflops are. Many people here in era don't understand about tech imagine the regular gamer.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Even if real, this was probably Sony's plan for a 2019 console. 2020 console being 12-14TF. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Aug 26, 2019
If I'm Sony, and I'm seeing how well the PS4 has performed commercially, I'm very tempted to sell the PS5 at a profit. Selling it at a loss is an unnecessary risk with the market share PlayStation has.

Oct 25, 2017
Series X is being quoted as 12TF RDNA, not GCN no matter what you want to believe.

By Windows Central that also states its power to be 2x the Xbox One X... which would coincidentally put it at 12TF GCN?

BTW that wasn't even in the initial report. It was added later. Digital Foundry hasn't been able to the number as RDNA either.

You can believe it if you want. I'm not stopping you. But it's not anywhere near "confirmed."

Oct 25, 2017
Scarlett is confirmed Navi / RDNA by MS and AMD. Imo to state otherwise is dellusional.

I didn't say that Series X is not RDNA?

I fully believe it is. Of course it is.

That doesn't mean that leaks to Windows Central in the form of a TF number is accounting for RDNA efficiency as opposed to being in GCN for easy comparison purposes, especially when the article has a multiplier comparison that invokes GCN.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
They want it to be the most powerful next-gen console. But they did not confirm anything. We have to wait until they release their specs.

If Phil says he believes the new box will be the most powerful, that's a huge statement. In front of millions, at the VGA. Think about that for a second. It's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.