Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I was thinking about making a thread but it's probably better here: Outside of the usual yearly releases, do we have any idea of what the PS5 launch lineup will look like?

This was pretty much prompted by the Schreier tweet on Bluepoint making a Demons Souls remake, which I imagine will be for launch. Guerilla is definitely working on Horizon 2 but will that be ready for launch? Are cross gen versions of TLOU2 and GoT necessary given the PS4 backwards compatibility?

This is where things get tricky. Sony and MS have proven in the past they're not above a good moneyhat. I expect them to do some calculated sniping 1 year exclusivity with third party to really start the battle.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think DS5 is going to be like the leaked patent?, wouldn't it be really stupid to have such a huge neglect when they are controlling every piece on information about PS5?
we had some patent releases here and there for the DS4 (PS MOVE/DS fusion, Lightbar ideas, etc...) and stuff before the PS4 Meeting

I feel there are so many patents flying around, guessing which one will actually become something while what else will just stay as an idea is random guesswork

any other major secret would be kept hidden beyond just basic obtuse wordings/images here and there

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
I was thinking about making a thread but it's probably better here: Outside of the usual yearly releases, do we have any idea of what the PS5 launch lineup will look like?

This was pretty much prompted by the Schreier tweet on Bluepoint making a Demons Souls remake, which I imagine will be for launch. Guerilla is definitely working on Horizon 2 but will that be ready for launch? Are cross gen versions of TLOU2 and GoT necessary given the PS4 backwards compatibility?

Not sure what it will be like. I do know that part of the transition to PS5 'as fast as possible' will still need to consist of an enticing lineup. We know in the past, lineups have been mediocre (depends on who you ask though).

I think a game like HZD in terms of scale is never a game I expect to see in a launch lineup as sad as it is to say. That's looking like a year 2 game in the very least.

Maybe a few new AA/AAA IPs, coupled with the familiar 3rd party games like COD and Assassin's Creed. They'll need something good on the 1st party side to really get ahead of the curve. If it's mainly 3rd party titles, it will be a wait and see and compare Consoles for some as to which will give the best performance possible.

Oct 27, 2017
This is where things get tricky. Sony and MS have proven in the past they're not above a good moneyhat. I expect them to do some calculated sniping 1 year exclusivity with third party to really start the battle.
Expect an abundance of money hats.

Strategically, they are far more valuable earlier in the gen (when marketshare numbers are still up for grabs), than in the tail end of one. The exception to that is if the numbers are close / competition is fierce all the way through the gen (in which case expect expect them all the way through).

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So here is an interview with the AMD CTO recently that may be relevant for possible next generation console design considerations and not relying just on a frequency bump from a node change - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...ores-coming-in-the-era-of-a-slowed-moores-law, and it is also interesting that Phil Spencer recently retweeted the Digital Foundry article on Xbox Series X with a comment about Moore's Law slowing and needing to think about different design approaches to still achieve desired greater performance goals.

Are Processors Going to Get Slower as they Shrink?
Over the years, we've become accustomed to higher clock speeds with smaller nodes. However, we've reached the point where smaller nodes that enable more cores can also suffer reduced frequencies, like we've seen with Intel's Ice Lake family. As potent as TSMC's engineering team is, there's possibly a diminishing point of frequency returns, if not frequency declines, on the horizon as it moves to the smaller 5nm process. Papermaster is confident in AMD's ability to offset those challenges, though.

"We say [Moore's Law] is slowing because the frequency scaling opportunity at every node is either a very small percentage or nil going forward; it depends on the node when you look at the foundries. So there's limited opportunity, and that's where how you put the solution together matters more than ever," Papermaster said.

"That's why we invented the Infinity Fabric," he explained, "to give us that flexibility as to how we put in CPU cores, and how many CPU cores, how many GPU cores, and how you can have a range of combinations of those engines along with other accelerators put together in a very efficient and seamless way. That is the era of a slowed Moore's Law. We've got to keep performance moving with every generation, but you can't rely on that frequency bump from every new semiconductor node."

AMD will also evolve its Infinity Fabric to keep up with higher-bandwidth interfaces, like DDR5 and PCIe 5.0. "In an era of slowed Moore's Law where you are getting less frequency gain, and certainly more expense at each technology node, you do have to scale the bandwidth as you add more engines going forward, and I think you're going to see an era of innovation of how in doing so you design to optimize the efficiency of those fabrics," Papermaster said.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

Demon's Souls
Ratchet & Clank
WiLD
Gran Turismo 7

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lockhart confirmed by a 343i employee in this thread.
It's no different than buying a new pc within your budget limitations - you get the platform, ecosystem and games you like and despite the series x bring a beast - Lockhart is a significant improvement over prior gen and will be a big step up for most folks considering it.

edit : he says knowing nothing about it :

His follow up response in the same thread

Last edited:

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
Klobrille? Colbert? I just checked both them habe less than 20 post in this thread the last 3 weeks combined. Not sure why you're fixated with the vocal minority, when the large majority of this thread has been overwhelming optimistic. A large majority of the discussion surrounding this thread for the ps5 has been 13tf, 24gddr, hmb2, 5gbps ssd etc.

This is true, anytime we start to speculate it is always that Sony has advantage in GPU because of the Klee and Matt post saying 5-15% above XSX, Getting a new type of HBM2 + DDR4 memory pool 24gbs, and a super ultrafast SSD solution that is at least 5gbs to 7gbs and MS is only at 2gbs maximum.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I platinumed the first Demons Souls. If the Remastered will get new trophies I will happily do it again. I hope this time to get "that last stone" will not as time intensive as last time LOL.

-----------------

Klobrille? Colbert? I just checked both them habe less than 20 post in this thread the last 3 weeks combined. Not sure why you're fixated with the vocal minority, when the large majority of this thread has been overwhelming optimistic. A large majority of the discussion surrounding this thread for the ps5 has been 13tf, 24gddr, hmb2, 5gbps ssd etc.

This is true, anytime we start to speculate it is always that Sony has advantage in GPU because of the Klee and Matt post saying 5-15% above XSX, Getting a new type of HBM2 + DDR4 memory pool 24gbs, and a super ultrafast SSD solution that is at least 5gbs to 7gbs and MS is only at 2gbs maximum.

Nothing wrong with having other opinions and predictions on those consoles. Of course it would be a positive to present some kind of reasoning with a prediction and not just numbers. Would make it better understandable to a certain degree. I always have tried to provide as much information as possible why my predictions is as it is.

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Meh, once either one is unveiled a thread should be created for it, and any irrelevant speculation about next-gen should happen here.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I can't believe 2 xbox consoles was just confirmed by stinkles. Era is crazy in so many different ways. I can't wait for this generation even though I'm on PC.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I can't believe 2 xbox consoles was just confirmed by stinkles. Era is crazy in so many different ways. I can't wait for this generation even though I'm on PC.
This:
It's no different than buying a new pc within your budget limitations - you get the platform, ecosystem and games you like and despite the series x bring a beast - Lockhart is a significant improvement over prior gen and will be a big step up for most folks considering it.

Of course he can not "confirm" anything but i'm glad we got his opinion.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Lockhart confirmed by a 343i employee in this thread.
I'm repeating myself but I don't know anything about Lockhart - I'm arguing the conversation from the article. In the case of Halo infinite the Xbox One is the base version and Scarlett and high end pc are the upper bounds for our engine and game.

The "low end" version will be the best looking Halo we've made and will run beautifully on this gen Xbox One - and Scarlett will look even better. But having a mid level pc version won't affect the peak of the perf - so that's the logic you should apply to the argument. Imo.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
In the next OT I honestly think the Threads should be split.
When the consoles are revealed the topics should be split.
Not before.
Meh, once either one is unveiled a thread should be created for it, and any irrelevant speculation about next-gen should happen here.

Wrong. That's when we begin the Mortal Kombat tournament in earnest.

EDjpYC.gif

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I think that is the problem. Unrealistic talk.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So will Lockheart be better than One X in every way except GPU?

It's better in every way INCLUDING the GPU. May have less ROPs than Xbox One X GPU, however, because it isn't meant to target higher resolutions in the first place. Even so, it should kill Xbox One X at the lower resolutions it is targeted for. There will be far superior framerates and graphics in comparison to anything Xbox One X would have been able to pull off at similar resolutions and graphics settings.

So 1080p, 1440P Lockhart will be king to Xbox One X's pawn.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
You don't really believe this do you? Sony fanboys are being great citizens sitting around with their legs crossed engaged in adult conversation while their XBOX brethren just foam at the mouth like unwashed savages LOL 😂

Fanboys from both sides are spinning tall tales about their console.

Not really. I have already explained it twice, if you would care to read it. But here I go again, just for you.

I don't see any "fanboys from both sides spinning tales about their console", I see both camps talking about the PS5 for the most part:

-Sony camp expecting 11-13TF faster SSD and either HBM2 or GDDR6, for $499,

- MS camp countering said speculation with 8-9TF, $399, no way HBM2, too hot, lol at split memory, and the SSD is not that significant anyway.

You can find examples of all that in the last 48h.

I don't really see much talk about the Series X anymore, because we know the specs for the most part. And as we in the Sony camp believe all the journos that say they're really close in power, and some believe Klee when he says PS5 is slightly above, the higher the Series X TF the higher the PS5 TF, we were very happy to find out about the 12TF RDNA

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
These consoles will probably support integer scaling, right? Seems like it would be a good idea for 8K output, at least.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really. I have already explained it twice, if you would care to read it. But here I go again, just for you.

I don't see any "fanboys from both sides spinning tales about their console", I see both camps talking about the PS5 for the most part:

- MS camp countering said speculation with 8-9TF, $399, no way HBM2, too hot, lol at split memory, and the SSD is not that significant anyway.

I don't really see much talk about the Series X anymore, because we know the specs for the most part. And as we in the Sony camp believe all the journos that say they're really close in power, and some believe Klee when he says PS5 is slightly above, the higher the Series X TF the higher the PS5 TF, we were very happy to find out about the 12TF RDNA

We don't know the specs. Microsoft hasn't confirmed a hard number on GPU TFLOPS yet, but they have inferred where the baseline is. We don't know the number of compute units, the clock speed of the CPU or GPU, we don't know how much RAM they're using (and no the 16GB of GDDR6 rumors are not confirmed) We don't even know the speeds they'll run their GDDR6 at. Microsoft could have been playing clever with what they showed in the scarlett announce video of the mem chips. We don't even know the total memory bandwidth.

Microsoft may yet be using an entirely different RAM in addition to GDDR6 for all everybody knows because they haven't explained the details yet. They've not explained the specifics of their SSD either, or what modifications were made to the system in other ways to benefit games. Microsoft has more or less revealed precisely all this information every gen since the xbox 360, and we should expect them to do so again.

There's still a ton we don't know about Series X, but, yes, there's much more speculation about PS5 at the moment because Sony has told us much less.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
OMG. Sony will release a console at lower spec but a lower price than MS best offering. How can we deal with this?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
sounds like their 360 audio thing and the next step for it

I continue to believe that 360 Reality audio will have a gaming variant that Sony will push, probably a movie variant too. It's the only reason I can think of why they would have purchased Audiokinetic. They're aiming for Dolby Atmos's throat by integrating their new audio format into Wwise so that hundreds of games each year will be compatible with it. On top of that they'll probably aim for the 3D audio hardware in the PS5 to better take advantage of this new format. Keep in mind that 360 Reality Audio is a software only solution so other gaming platforms could probably take advantage of it too.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

I think we will have to wait until the reveal for that, but I expect plenty of first party and third party exclusives, which will be not only platform exclusive but also next gen exclusive, at launch and during the first year. I think that was what Jim Ryan was referencing when talking about faster transition ever, alongside BC, and also a powerful SKU. The more powerful, the more enticing certainly,

I just wanna be surprised in 7 weeks time

Sirolf

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Le Mans , France

Very good post Thorrgal.
There is a sort of obsession with everything PS5 related especially when it might be implied that the console is more powerful than its rival.
It's really borderline insane here,hysterical even.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
We don't know the specs. Microsoft hasn't confirmed a hard number on GPU TFLOPS yet, but they have inferred where the baseline is. We don't know the number of compute units, the clock speed of the CPU or GPU, we don't know how much RAM they're using (and no the 16GB of GDDR6 rumors are not confirmed) We don't even know the speeds they'll run their GDDR6 at. Microsoft could have been playing clever with what they showed in the scarlett announce video of the mem chips. We don't even know the total memory bandwidth.

Microsoft may yet be using an entirely different RAM in addition to GDDR6 for all everybody knows because they haven't explained the details yet. They've not explained the specifics of their SSD either, or what modifications were made to the system in other ways to benefit games. Microsoft has more or less revealed precisely all this information every gen since the xbox 360, and we should expect them to do so again.

There's still a ton we don't know about Series X, but, yes, there's much more speculation about PS5 at the moment because Sony has told us much less.

Yet still they're talking more about the PS5 GPU, RAM and SSD configuration, which is more to my point.

Someone even said they would skip the PS5 if it had HMB2 and a fast SSD in fear of a possible second Red Ring of Death scenario for crying out loud, how ridiculous can you get?

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yet still they're talking more about the PS5 GPU, RAM and SSD configuration, which is more to my point.

Someone even said they would skip the PS5 if it had HMB2 and a fast SSD in fear of a possible second Red Ring of Death scenario for crying out loud, how ridiculous can you get?

Well, yea, that's just dumb. They aren't designing a console for it to fail. I imagine Sony and AMD's engineering teams would know much better about what their design is and isn't going to lead to than the typical gamer frequenting a forum. Just a wild guess. I know we have some experts here and there, but I'll just go out on a limb on this one.

I hope Sony puts the fastest, most powerful thing they can manage in there at a price point they feel works for them, and I'll gladly buy it.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet & Clank is by Insomniac right? And it's not another re-imagining?
All we know is there was some rumour about another R&C for PS4 that likely got pushed to PS5 or was a PS5 game to begin with like Demon's Souls Remake.

We know Insomniac has two teams at two separate locations... The Spiderman team and the R&C Remake Team.

We also know that R&C Remake had to tie in with a movie so it was rather limited but even so it apparently was the best selling R&C game in Insomniac history and was their best selling game period until SpiderMan released and overtook it.

Lastly when the press interviews came after Sony officially acquired Insomniac, the now former Chairman of SIE Worldwide Studios, Shawn Layden said R&C was and still is important to Sony.

It can be just a remake of the second game in the series, "Ratchet and Clank Going Commando" or it can be something else we really don't know.

I just wish it is another BIG SAGA series like the Future series was for PS3 and therefore will be an entirely new game with new weapons, new gameplay stuff, new worlds, characters, etc...

but that is just me being wishful, we have no clue.

Deleted member 61179

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Last years CES, Sony had almost nothing new to show. Only small updates to existing products. It was strange as to why they even had a conference. They talked about spider-man, aibo and had pharell williams on stage.

So I totally expect a plethora of new product anouncments at ces 2020.
8k tvs, projectors and receivers with hdmi 2.1, 5g devices, new gen photo and video cameras, sony 360 audio initiatives with headphones, earbuds and soundbars.
We will probably hear more about the One Sony aproach and interdisciplinary works they want to embrace.

I expect big things, but nothing major about ps5.
It will get its own huge ass event i guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

What it essentially reads as is "We already know our box is more powerful as stated by insiders so we're chill right now. We're just tossing the ball around discussing how high of a perch we'll be shitting on the other box from". Of course the assumption is going to rile up fanboys from the other side. So it's a wee bit disingenuous to all of a sudden trying to "upper class" the situation. Relax. You're a fanboy just like they are. I wouldn't even care but the elevated plane shit just made me LOL 😂

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
team-lockhart-is-a-blade

only needs 1080p because that's all they're going to stream

no lockhart consumer box

later because xcloud upgrade is a happening after xsex launch

is my current working speculative theory

otherwise I can't explain a weaker and later box

just does not make sense

but bill is not my daddy

not likely.
xCloud needs to be seamless for devs. It'll harm the goal of 'minimal effort for developers' if they have to expend tons of effort downporting games to work on Lockhart specs.

Sirolf

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Le Mans , France
What it essentially reads as is "We already know our box is more powerful as stated by insiders so we're chill right now. We're just tossing the ball around discussing how high of a perch we'll be shitting on the other box from". Of course the assumption is going to rile up fanboys from the other side. So it's a wee bit disingenuous to all of a sudden trying to "upper class" the situation. Relax. You're a fanboy just like they are. I wouldn't even care but the elevated plane shit just made me LOL 😂

And you have clearly a side judging from your post history !
See ,we can all play this little game (me included) 😂😂

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks yeah I shouldn't have repeated the phrasing of the discussion to make a point ostensibly about PCs. To clarify — I actually DONT know anything about it but I am extremely excited about the possibilities for scaling our engine for last, next and PC gen development.

it's usually a conversation about OG xbone, Xbox one x and series X (also PC) development so sorry to muddy what's a very straightforward proposition as far as infinite is concerned.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

MS having the stronger box is normal for this thread for years now for what ever reason .
It was not until E3 where we heard PS5 could be stronger and then all hell break lose.
So really this thread just gone back to years before where it come to XB could be more powerful and Sony won't for what ever reason .

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It's better in every way INCLUDING the GPU. May have less ROPs than Xbox One X GPU, however, because it isn't meant to target higher resolutions in the first place. Even so, it should kill Xbox One X at the lower resolutions it is targeted for. There will be far superior framerates and graphics in comparison to anything Xbox One X would have been able to pull off at similar resolutions and graphics settings.

So 1080p, 1440P Lockhart will be king to Xbox One X's pawn.

What I'm wondering more about is if Lockhart will be able to play Xbox/360/One games in their One X modes at the same quality. If it can't then it isn't truly better than the One X in every way (which I've always thought it should be).

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm repeating myself but I don't know anything about Lockhart - I'm arguing the conversation from the article. In the case of Halo infinite the Xbox One is the base version and Scarlett and high end pc are the upper bounds for our engine and game.

The "low end" version will be the best looking Halo we've made and will run beautifully on this gen Xbox One - and Scarlett will look even better. But having a mid level pc version won't affect the peak of the perf - so that's the logic you should apply to the argument. Imo.

I mean, of course in this case Lockhart won't hold the Series X version back, because the console holding the Lockhart and Series X version back is actually the Xbox One.

And the difference is gonna be even worse for games that have to have the Xbox One as a base instead of Next-Gen. You can't tell me that a console with a HDD is not holding back the design of a game that could potentially be realised on a SSD only system.

Status
Not open for further replies.