Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2019
I don't think Panos Panay wanting to rip his head off during an interview says that at all. He's a senior editor at a large tech website where he's the lead MS writer. He does get some exclusive looks at things and writes up articles for that kind of stuff but he has also developed a nice book on contacts throughout MS that he's able to tap to learn all kinds of things that MS isn't planning on making public for a while.
Link to that interview?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably saying Tom Warren as an insider is wrong, just that he has inside source and a good track record.

Last post, since I have to get back to work. (I dont have weekends)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Has to be frustrating for Sony fans not knowing anything while MS continues to lay their cards on the table. If Sony would just provide some info to their fans it would help alleviate so much angst folks keep feeling.

🤨

Sony are delivering top notch, award winning, unforgettable gaming experiences right now and leading into next gen, I think the Sony fans are quite content, lol.

Sony has provided a lot of info on the PS5 and we'll get a full reveal in a couple of months. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Why .
Getting hints about certain things better than reading a thread that has been wrong about almost every single fucking thing and telling people there wrong .
I can't wait for the thread to get split so we don't have this nonsense .
Oh deary deary me! People must really have a problem with some of the standards I have. I posted my opinion, I am not looking to convince anyone, and I am not looking towards anyone to convince me otherwise.

Maturity means having discernment to know when to agree to disagree. Seems some have not come to that understanding yet.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Of course, but we have actual leaked numbers on the Super 2080 Ti & a proper write up for Ampere, we just know RDNA 2.0 is coming.
Ah I see. Maybe it's so good they don't want to kill their current 5700XT sales, or spoil the surprise at a big announcement. :)

I really hope so, for everyones sake.

I feel like people are going to be super bummed-out if these consoles aren't 12TFlops RDNA, when they'd still be really good, and in a package that has fantastic value.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Thank you for the kind words. It's a 3d model, made and rendered in Autodesk 3ds Max 2020.

Unbelievable stuff. I don't mind the design either. I'd be on board with that.

If I'm going to be a nit picky piece of shit asshole, I'd only suggest changing the figure 8 power point to what they used on the Pro. The PC one. Because I'd guess that's more likely what they'll use.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm discussing the ORIGINAL cancellation where we had a thread full of people stating that lockhart was cancelled 6 months before Tom Warren discover so. If everyone knew why didn't they say? I find that corny
1. No one owes you any information.
2. Considering the consoles were years away, what difference does it make when you find this out?
3. There is a huge difference between breaking news and confirming news.
4. It's possible to believe something is the case and not feel comfortable enough in that belief to want to share it.

All that adds up to a situation were, when news comes out publicly, "insiders" might be comfortable at that point confirming the news. And then, if asked when this happened (as was asked when this news broke), they might feel comfortable sharing when they heard about it.

There is nothing illogical or "corny" there. Would you prefer to be lied to about when they believed this happened?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Oh deary deary me! People must really have a problem with some of the standards I have. I posted my opinion, I am not looking to convince anyone, and I am not looking towards anyone to convince me otherwise.

Maturity means having discernment to know when to agree to disagree. Seems some have not come to that understanding yet.

It has nothing to do with maturity or standards but stifling the thread .
Which has happen all to often over the years for what suppose to be a speculation thread.
The more info we get the better the speculation can be right or close
Instead of people saying not possible for years .

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Its funny because we didn't go through the same thing when we transitioned to this gen from the 360. When AMD last changed their architecture from TerraScale to GCN, the new cards (GCN) with less flops than the old cards (TerraScale) performed better and here we are again today.

I understand the skepticism but Klee, Tom, and Jez are all saying its 12Tflop. These are trusted sources with a history of providing accurate info. The design of XBSX also alludes to something that has been designed to provide adequate cooling.
I have been waiting on the DF video but I am disappointed that Rich wasn't hosting it as he is the one with insider connections. I was hoping to hear what he would add as he has spoken previously about Project Scarlett CPU and SSD customizations that MS are doing. Oh well. I am sure we will get more info as time goes by.

Nov 11, 2017
2. Considering the consoles were years away, what difference does it make when you find this out?
4. It's possible to believe something is the case and not feel comfortable enough in that belief to want to share it.

All that adds up to a situation were, when news comes out publicly, "insiders" might be comfortable at that point confirming the news. And then, if asked when this happened (as was asked when this news broke), they might feel comfortable sharing when they heard about it.

There is nothing illogical or "corny" there. Would you prefer to be lied to about when they believed this happened?
1. Never said anyone "owes" me anything.
2. Doesn't make a world of difference i actually agree with you wasn't my argument not sure what you're getting at.
3. I absolutely agree with #3, I consider guys like Tom Warren news breakers, you're an confirmation insider which is ok. The problem occurs when people use you( not your fault) against the words of people who break news/sources.
4. I agree with #4 not sure why you decided to come at me 🤣.

As far the the rest of your conversation please see #3. Thanks

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to share what you do Matt (and same for klee, tomwarren, and everyone else). It sucks that people feel so entitled and so ready to jump on anyone for not always having 100% up-to-date accurate info so they just end up being driven away.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I have to admit, soon as I saw the design of the XSX I thought Klee might actually be right. But maybe the 5700XT just runs that hot.

I think they've learned their lesson as evidenced by Pro revisions, and MS has frankly set a high bar.
You'd hope so but I fear Sony are too image conscious. They want their products to look pretty. Which is usually a plus but it often comes with concessions.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Thanks for taking the time to share what you do Matt (and same for klee, tomwarren, and everyone else). It sucks that people feel so entitled and so ready to jump on anyone for not always having 100% up-to-date accurate info so they just end up being driven away.
Exactly. Especially when the doubt is usually coming from people who don't like the info.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
1. Never said anyone "owes" me anything.
2. Doesn't make a world of difference i actually agree with you wasn't my argument not sure what you're getting at.
3. I absolutely agree with #3, I consider guys like Tom Warren news breakers, you're an confirmation insider which is ok. The problem occurs when people use you( not your fault) against the words of people who break news/sources.
4. I agree with #4 not sure why you decided to come at me 🤣.

As far the the rest of your conversation please see #3. Thanks
Not coming at you, just trying to explain why "insiders" might be aware of something and not choose to share that information.

Hell, most are literally choosing not the share the vast majority of things they know at any given moment.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Thanks! Here's how the back looks. Not sure my port placement makes sense though.

NAwl6oq.jpg

I expect more angles on the right side, something futuristic and a different vent shape. Still a super solid render though man. Great work.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
You'd hope so but I fear Sony are too image conscious. They want their products to look pretty. Which is usually a plus but it often comes with concessions.

You can make form meet function. There's plenty of SFF PCs out there that can cool 400W worth of TDP across CPU/GPU without CLC/AIO coolers.

Absolutely. The Pro revision definitely helped quite a bit.

I'm really excited for the first breakdown of the Series X so we can see this wind tunnel design they have going.

They can maximize the fan to the XY plane of the chassis and remove turbulent paths by having the whole cross section function as airlflow. Should be interesting to see.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
It has nothing to do with maturity or standards but stifling the thread .
Which has happen all to often over the years for what suppose to be a speculation thread.
The more info we get the better the speculation can be right or close
Instead of people saying not possible for years .
The more we get the more people seem to argue the mundane.
I have see debates on here as to how Sony was using Navi and Microsoft was using Vega, and going to call it Navi.
I have seen debates as to how Microsoft was going to have hardware accelerated ray tracing and Sony was going to patch something up software related.
I have seen debates as to how Sony was going to use SSD, and Microsoft was not talking about it because they had not planned for it.
I am now seeing a debate about Navi FLOPS versus GCN FLOPS as if the meaning of TFLOPS changed.
I have been here and told how porting down does not happen, how much harder it is; people disappeared when I gave them more examples showing just how wrong they were.
I have seen it postulated as to how Microsoft would not know how to clock a console high, despite the fact that the last console they put out did just that.
I have been told on here that power matters more so for Microsoft is they are to be relevant. I am on record as stating that it does not. Some of us got the XB1 when it was 40% weaker, some got the PS4 Pro knowing full well that there was a console coming out that would be better to the same degree difference as base consoles.

Please tell me I am wrong.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
You can make form meet function. There's plenty of SFF PCs out there that can cool 400W worth of TDP across CPU/GPU without CLC/AIO coolers.

That's the thing, I feel like Sony don't meet that balance in the middle, but instead will lean towards the form-side of the equation, at the expense of things like our hearing or the life expectancy of the console parts. Really, I love their products but it's the impression I've gotten from them over the years.

You can't hear how loud it is when it's on display. You have to buy it, and then you'll get some folks going "mine isn't that loud" just to confuse things.

I really hope the PS5 is a monster. Fuck the entertainment cabinet, don't put hot electronics in enclosed spaces! Just like MS did, but I don't think Sony would do it quite like that.

Man, the dev kit looks sweet though. I forget what it reminds me of, they had a special console that they made hardly any of, with extra features that looked really damn cool. Maybe it was the Japanese PS2 PSX DVR, I remember it looking cooler, but it was a while back.

Also, why don't consoles have small LCDs on them for progress bars and things like that. It looks fucking sweet. I had one on a modded OG xbox. Something like this:

image.png

We might need a temperature monitor at the front!

image.png

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The more we get the more people seem to argue the mundane.
I have see debates on here as to how Sony was using Navi and Microsoft was using Vega, and going to call it Navi.
I have seen debates as to how Microsoft was going to have hardware accelerated ray tracing and Sony was going to patch something up software related.
I have seen debates as to how Sony was going to use SSD, and Microsoft was not talking about it because they had not planned for it.
I am now seeing a debate about Navi FLOPS versus GCN FLOPS as if the meaning of TFLOPS changed.
I have been here and told how porting down does not happen, how much harder it is; people disappeared when I gave them more examples showing just how wrong they were.
I have seen it postulated as to how Microsoft would not know how to clock a console high, despite the fact that the last console they put out did just that.
I have been told on here that power matters more so for Microsoft is they are to be relevant. I am on record as stating that it does not. Some of us got the XB1 when it was 40% weaker, some got the PS4 Pro knowing full well that there was a console coming out that would be better to the same degree difference as base consoles.

Please tell me I am wrong.

All of that comes down to console war .( even the speculation has that lens to it sometimes )
Which is why the threads were split when they first started .
But having more info is never a bad thing when it has sources it's to bad everything end up like that.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
All of that comes down to console war .( even the speculation has that lens to it sometimes )
Which is why the threads were split when they first started .
But having more info is never a bad thing when it has sources it's to bad everything end up like that.
The speculation in this thread is mostly console warring, there is much that someone can learn from educated discourse from some members, but mostly? Warring and concern trolling. This is why when you say something that does not line up with people's expectations, which happens to be a rather reasonable take.......you get the responses that I got.

And it isn't even in the insider talk alone, I see this a lot. Maybe having two threads was better, but looking at some of the dedicated threads does not lead me to thinking that it would have been any better.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand (valid for any console manufacturer) you don't want to buy another revision for fixing issues of a console you already own.
True.

I'm talking more about thinking Sony won't address it.

They did with a Pro revision with better fans. Hopefully the launch PS5 will be along the lines of them continuing to address it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So for you to feel better about the situation Microsoft's PR should have stated the below on all marketing materials

" twice the gpu power of xbox one x*"

* please note GPU power comparison is just simple TF mathematics. 6x2= 12 . Furthermore the theoretical TF comparison between RDNA and GCN isn't exactly 1:1 due to technological advances driven by next generation RDNA technology.
More like, they said twice the power and never mentioned Teraflops so why are we obsessed with Teraflops instead of discussing twice the relative power.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They came from the nothingness seeking two distinct paths. Their paths merged. Beneath a nonpartisan umbrella they gathered, united by a common goal. In a world bereft of leaks, devoid of specs, somehow they persisted. They discussed. Researched. They learned together.

Their hunger grew.

Datasheets: devoured. Patents: ingested. Their insatiable desire to learn more a weakness primed for exploitation.

A stolen sickly side-glance. A lingered look, a stare. Unable to maintain focus, straying from the path, they rummaged and foraged pasty bins; gorging on the stagnant, the fetid and the impure. They revelled in filth.

Outsiders came. These outsiders they knew as Insiders. Armed with vague hints, cryptic equivalencies, ethereal quantifications, their offerings promising hope yet giving rise to ruinous infractions. Their collective status shook.

Witness to their straying so far from the one path, on a magical evening among the brightest of stars, a gift of pure knowledge was passed to the disparate herds and hordes. Behold the monolith of truth! A behemoth of benevolance. Basking by the gleaming tower, The Spencer spoke softly, in simple terms with familiar phrasing. Finally they could rest, regroup and recover. He had given them what they had long sought.

But each claimed to know the turest version of The Spencer's teachings, heathens be damned!

They fought. They warred. Brother against brother like dogs and cats.

Having said that... we're all in RDNA2, xbsx = 12.5TF, ps5 = 11.8TF. next gen is the tits. yolo. believe.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I hope that it isn't because I will inevitably be tempted to tear mine down to see it firsthand, and not be able to put it back together ☹
Look into the new Mac Pro how that is build. While I am not so happy about their CPU decisions the system itself has a impressive and very clean setup internally! It is also reported despite the power hungry components it runs really cool and silent.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The goalposts sure keep moving. People just coming to terms that the boxes will be very similar, and it will be hard to console war. They don't want to believe the truth. Everything Klee has said has planned out mostly, along with Jason has been backing up some things.

ngl, I'm tired of repeating myself to people who keep asking "Which is stronger" and "why should we believe x"

read the damn thread and you'll find out
Agreed. Honestly I'm thinking of just skipping this thread and just wait till official news comes out. Tired of all the dishonest BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.