What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
You mean 10Gb/s? That would be 1.25GB/s, which would still be really fast.

I mean 10 GB/s. In the patent the speed is between 1GB/s and 20 GB/s. But most examples give inside the patent use 10 GB/s.

Edit: I probably set myself for deception but I hope they will not use two years of hard work for reach PCIE 4 speed. They will probably just reach PCIE4 speed at a reasonnable cost. But I prefer be a dreamer.

The only thing, I am sure it will be the technology of the PS5 SSD.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Cerny literally said "SSD" in Wired interview.

I just checked, and he never actually refers to the PS5 solution as an SSD. It's mentioned that devs asked him for an SSD, and he talks about the SSD in his laptop and putting an SSD in a PS4 Pro. The recent Sony conference does say SSD, but even if they're calling it parallel NAND flash internally they would want to just say SSD publicly since it's much easier to understand.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
From that interview with Jim Ryan about "consoles are dead":

"Is this the last console? Everyone always talks about it, and there's this sense that it is, but I'm curious what you think.
What I think is: I actually don't know. I've been around awhile, and I sat there in 2012 and listened to all sorts of smart people tell me about mobile and that the PlayStation 4 was going to be the most terrible failure ever.

The logic was actually hard to fault. But we believed in that product then, we believe in this next generation product now. Who knows how it might evolve? Hybrid models between console and some sort of cloud model? Possibly that. I just don't know. And if I did know, I wouldn't tell you."

www.cnet.com

Sony's PlayStation CEO wants a seamless transition to its next-generation console

Sony promises its upcoming console, often referred to by fans as the PS5, will share saved games, have backward compatibility and more.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
I just checked, and he never actually refers to the PS5 solution as an SSD. It's mentioned that devs asked him for an SSD, and he talks about the SSD in his laptop and putting an SSD in a PS4 Pro. The recent Sony conference does say SSD, but even if they're calling it parallel NAND flash internally they would want to just say SSD publicly since it's much easier to understand.
or more simply it is an SSD

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I mean 10 GB/s. In the patent the speed is between 1GB/s and 20 GB/s. But example gives inside the patent use 10 GB/s.

Edit: I probably set myself for deception but I hope they will not use two hard years of work for reach PCIE 4 speed. Maybe they will just reach PCIE4 speed but with a reasonnable cost. I prefer be a dreamer.

The only thing, I am sure it will the technology of the PS5 SSD.
Well, that would be an insane jump in speed, so I am not so sure if that is achiavable, but let's hope it is.

Nov 12, 2017
That is not the point. He means that the ssd is just already included on the console, but you all really like to jump to conclusions and read into this way too much.
Oh c'mon I'm joking I'm saying from a month what I think about the perf and price of the ps5.....and Sony wouldn't project a dual release in a year

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if PS5/Nextbox has hardware acceleration for AV1. Would be great!
Where is jeff_rigby when you need him :P

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
From that interview with Jim Ryan about "consoles are dead":

"Is this the last console? Everyone always talks about it, and there's this sense that it is, but I'm curious what you think.
What I think is: I actually don't know. I've been around awhile, and I sat there in 2012 and listened to all sorts of smart people tell me about mobile and that the PlayStation 4 was going to be the most terrible failure ever.

The logic was actually hard to fault. But we believed in that product then, we believe in this next generation product now. Who knows how it might evolve? Hybrid models between console and some sort of cloud model? Possibly that. I just don't know. And if I did know, I wouldn't tell you."

www.cnet.com

Sony's PlayStation CEO wants a seamless transition to its next-generation console

Sony promises its upcoming console, often referred to by fans as the PS5, will share saved games, have backward compatibility and more.
How the hell did this guy ever rise to a position of power?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

As far back as I can remember, Jim Ryan is credited with a few things during his tenure at SIE.

- Was a major part of UCL-PlayStation marketing engagement since the beginning, spearheaded the grounds-level marketing initiative at schools/universities/youth clubs that made PlayStation be seen as the "console for FIFA"
- Expanded the SIEE scope of business into India & Middle East, and established local business network/infrastructure/localistion/there ahead of the curve, even when the markets were seen as piracy-laden and immature. Right now, ME is a huge and fast-growing market.
- Held the PlayStation console leadership in Europe during PS3 generation as the head of SIEE business after Andrew House.

From what I hear among my friends who work at Sony, among the top leadership of Sony's executive branch, Jim is also among the easiest to get along and highly respected by the ground-level employees.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Is there any chance that we're gonna get 2TB HDD/SSD on base nextgen consoles?

I have 500gb on my PS4 slim and its enough for 5-6 games at max without any saved videos in capture gallery.

I imagine for next gen where many games will be close to 4k textures and 100gb in size,1TB is not gonna be enough.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
As far back as I can remember, Jim Ryan is credited with a few things during his tenure at SIE.

- Was a major part of UCL-PlayStation marketing engagement since the beginning, spearheaded the grounds-level marketing initiative at schools/universities/youth clubs that made PlayStation be seen as the "console for FIFA"
- Expanded the SIEE scope of business into India & Middle East, and established local business network/infrastructure/localistion/there ahead of the curve, even when the markets were seen as piracy-laden and immature. Right now, ME is a huge and fast-growing market.
- Held the PlayStation console leadership in Europe during PS3 generation as the head of SIEE business after Andrew House.

From what I hear among my friends who work at Sony, among the top leadership of Sony's executive branch, Jim is also among the easiest to get along and highly respected by the ground-level employees.
It's bizarre then that he sounds so clueless in literally every single interview he gives. It's like a talent.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
It's bizarre then that he sounds so clueless in literally every single interview he gives. It's like a talent.

If you are fooled by it, that means he's succeeded.

There's a reason why it is always Jim Ryan who has to talk about topics like lack of EA Access on PS4, no crossplay with Minecraft, lack of BC on PS4, etc. Why not any other Sony executive? It's always him being rolled out to defend or spin these hot-button issues even though he's made the butt of jokes every single time by the press for his gaffes.

It's because his "lies" spin the discussion away from discussing them as anti-consumer business decision or technological lack-of-ability (PS4 engineers probably can't make PS3 BC run on that machine unlike Xbox engineers ), and instead he comes across as the clueless, dumb man who hates BC because he talks about how ugly PS1 games look compared to PS4.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
If you are fooled by it, that means he's succeeded.

There's a reason why it is always Jim Ryan who has to talk about topics like lack of EA Access on PS4, no crossplay with Minecraft, lack of BC on PS4, etc. Why not any other Sony executive? It's always him being rolled out to defend or spin these hot-button issues even though he's made the butt of jokes every single time by the press for his gaffes.

It's because his "lies" spin the discussion away from discussing them as anti-consumer business decision or technological lack-of-ability (PS4 engineers probably can't make PS3 BC run on that machine unlike Xbox engineers ), and instead he comes across as the clueless, dumb man who hates BC because he talks about how ugly PS1 games look compared to PS4.
In that case, why is he being rolled out to sell their next gen console? Because it's kind of an important product for them, and I don't know that using their designated bullshit artist to extoll its virtues is a clever move.

Mosse

Oct 25, 2017
In that case, why is he being rolled out to sell their next gen console? Because it's kind of an important product for them, and I don't know that using their designated bullshit artist to extoll its virtues is a clever move.
Him being the head of Playstation might have something to do with it, also I don't see where the bullshiting part is in that interview. Seems pretty straightforward?

Mosse

Oct 25, 2017
I thought he sounded clueless, it's Nightengale that posits that he's the designated bullshit artist.

And I agree with you, it seems odd to use the CEO of SIE that way.

I still fail to see how the CEO of playstaion talking about next gen is strange and how him not knowing how the console space will look in the future makes him clueless? I think he made it clear that they are confident with what they are doing for next gen but not sure about exactly how it will play out.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I thought he sounded clueless, it's Nightengale that posits that he's the designated bullshit artist.

And I agree with you, it seems odd to use the CEO of SIE that way.

Ryan has a reptutation for 'saying things', but I think you're picking on that answer a little much. By his own admission he may be playing dumb in that answer, more than actually being dumb. But I think it's relatively clear that Sony is keeping an open mind about where the market might go in the next ten years, and is doubling down on the constants of their business rather than tying themselves to any one particular basket (i.e. content, brand, community more than any one delivery pipeline). I think they have their own projections of what is or is not more likely, but looking out past PS5's life is difficult for anyone right now to talk in certain terms about. That would actually be a case of bullshit artistry tbh.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Now that he's CEO, I expect other execs will be designated to be the new bullshit artist in the future.

As for the interview itself, I thought it sounded fine too?

He acknowledges competition is tough, market can change very quickly, and thus why the MOU with MS exist - it's a first step for Sony in doing something that they might never had done 10 years ago. Talks about the strength of their brand, how PlayStation won't just vanish suddenly as any sort of gaming transition will be gradual - and gives minor insights into PS5's feature set.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
basing your final judgement on a demo using ssd vs hdd proves that games will be held back and not look the same?
that demo is to show what they are able to do with the new hardware. they are thinking forward, not backwards on "why should we have nice things if we cant use them." .... idk how you even enjoy games right now, unless you are playing exclusive games only. like literally exclusive and not on any other version of console.

Not sure what your point is exactly. I'm saying that games will be held Back on next gen consoles by the Xbox one S. Is this false?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Now that he's CEO, I expect other execs will be designated to be the new bullshit artist in the future.

As for the interview itself, I thought it sounded fine too?

He acknowledges competition is tough, market can change very quickly, and thus why the MOU with MS exist - it's a first step for Sony in doing something that they might never had done 10 years ago. Talks about the strength of their brand, how PlayStation won't just vanish suddenly as any sort of gaming transition will be gradual - and gives minor insights into PS5's feature set.

Yep if anything it's more on the side of Sony being humble and keeping a open mind about how things can change.
It also basically saying all the right things like how there narrative base games selling more than ever and they will keep on doing them .

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if this has been shared, but if we weren't sure before we can be sure now that the next generation PlayStation will include HDMI 2.1. Jim Ryan basically confirmed it saying it'll support 4K@120Hz.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Question: Is this the last console? Everyone always talks about it, and there's this sense that it is, but I'm curious what you think.

Answer: What I think is: I actually don't know. I've been around awhile, and I sat there in 2012 and listened to all sorts of smart people tell me about mobile and that the PlayStation 4 was going to be the most terrible failure ever. The logic was actually hard to fault. But we believed in that product then, we believe in this next generation product now. Who knows how it might evolve? Hybrid models between console and some sort of cloud model? Possibly that. I just don't know. And if I did know, I wouldn't tell you.

Jim Ryan's answer is straightforward. What part of his response are you having trouble understanding?

Is this the last home console? Ryan can't provide a definitive answer because nobody is able to predict with certainty what the market will look like 10 years from now. People said the rapidly expanding mobile market would subtract from the console space, and while that sounded realistic, fears proved exaggerated.

It sometimes feels like people are adamant on not understanding Jim Ryan because they want to keep the narrative that he is bad for PlayStation alive.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'm not sure if this has been shared, but if we weren't sure before we can be sure now that the next generation PlayStation will include HDMI 2.1. Jim Ryan basically confirmed it saying it'll support 4K@120Hz.
it was confirmed at the moment the wired article confirmed 8k support.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Jim Ryan's answer is straightforward. What part of his response are you having trouble understanding?

Is this the last home console? Ryan can't provide a definitive answer because nobody is able to predict with certainty what the market will look like 10 years from now. People said the rapidly expanding mobile market would subtract from the console space, and while that sounded realistic, fears proved exaggerated.

It sometimes feels like people are adamant on not understanding Jim Ryan because they want to keep the narrative that he is bad for PlayStation alive.
As CEO, part of his job is to make investors feel confident in the direction he's taking the company. If the question is "where is the industry headed?", his answer shouldn't be "I actually don't know," even if it's true in his case. How about the preamble about how every one was saying the PS4 would be stillborn this gen, and then how the market went on to react the way it did, and then adding that Sony is involved in all gaming spaces and is ahead of their competitors in many up and coming areas like streaming and VR, but how they think the PS5 is poised to bring new experiences to gamers that aren't possible in other spaces, etc.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
As CEO, part of his job is to make investors feel confident in the direction he's taking the company. If the question is "where is the industry headed?", his answer shouldn't be "I actually don't know," even if it's true in his case. How about the preamble about how every one was saying the PS4 would be stillborn this gen, and then how the market went on to react the way it did, and then adding that Sony is involved in all gaming spaces and is ahead of their competitors in many up and coming areas like streaming, but how they think the PS5 is poised to bring new experiences to gamers that aren't possible in other spaces, etc.

He's given that answer already during the IR Day.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I thought the answer you quoted was an excellent one. By referencing 2012 and all the naysayers and doom mongers about how mobile would kill consoles (and then launching a hugely successful PS4), he backs up the 'I don't know' answer because it reflects the ever changing market. It is also potentially a little counter to all the noise about streaming (another nascent technology apparently just about to destroy consoles)

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
As CEO, part of his job is to make investors feel confident in the direction he's taking the company. If the question is "where is the industry headed?", his answer shouldn't be "I actually don't know," even if it's true in his case. How about the preamble about how every one was saying the PS4 would be stillborn this gen, and then how the market went on to react the way it did, and then adding that Sony is involved in all gaming spaces and is ahead of their competitors in many up and coming areas like streaming and VR, but how they think the PS5 is poised to bring new experiences to gamers that aren't possible in other spaces, etc.

All of that was already cover in IR day .
In way more detail that what can be done in a short interview .
Investors don't look at every interview to see where the company is going .

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I prefer not knowing the SSD speed for example. This is cool to speculate. I set the bar probably too high but this is cool. My other speculation is HBCC memory setup and Photon Mapping global illumination hardware coming from patent and one linkedin account I discover too.
I lost track .what's ur proposed speed ? And what's possible now on PC landscape ?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
so just watched the whole IGN unfiltered with todd howard, i feel like sony are hiding something major about the SSD, firstly he heavily hinted that he signed NDA's with both sides already and knows quite a bunch about them. todd almost asked if sony have talked about the exact speeds of their SSD and was very careful around the subject of the PS5 SSD, indicating that there is more to it than cerny had led on so far... this makes me very excited.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
so just watched the whole IGN unfiltered with todd howard, i feel like sony are hiding something major about the SSD, firstly he heavily hinted that he signed NDA's with both sides already and knows quite a bunch about them. todd almost asked if sony have talked about the exact speeds of their SSD and was very careful around the subject of the PS5 SSD, indicating that there is more to it than cerny had led on so far... this makes me very excited.

I am at work from Spain. I will watch it tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.