What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be $499. This thread is going to continue circling back around to try and justify a lower cost only to end up disappointed.

Saw this yesterday (artist claims this is real time, crafted in UE4) and I would not be surprised to see character fidelity of this quality be in AAA games next gen (given there are very close competitors this gen already) in real time gameplay (not cinematics):

liam-grice-new.gif

liam-grice-ezgif-4-e3e004efab4d.gif

liam-grice-002.jpg

Source - Liam Grice- Senior Character Artist at Supermassive Games

I just hope animation is commensurate with fidelity next generation.
Looks like the next generation of linear adventure games. This is what I expect as a next gen leap from games like Until Dawn and Detroit Become Human.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
And that is why I explicitly mentioned, "real time gameplay (not cinematics)".

Outside of cinematics, we have seen one game that comes awfully close those images from another project made in UE4, Days Gone:

e02d411207906814.png

f2fe941207907454.png

Images courtesy of Dumbmugi

da41051207907564.png

4b115b1230673334.jpg

972c881230673464.jpg

Honestly, I really thought that I was looking at a next gen baseline when it saw these, insofar as character model fidelity is concerned.

Off topic:

Funnily enough, if Deepfakes are proving anything, it is that, that is a cheaper way of doing photo realistic character models right for movies.
While i think nate looks incredible during cinematics his in game model and shading leaves a lot to be desired. He can look really bad in some lightning conditions and never really approaches these renders during gameplay.
it looks exact the same during gameplay and cut-scenes. this is in-game model of nate during gameplay

26492641314_bc94195b60_o_d.png

uncharted4_athiefsendsrlhy.png

uncharted4_athiefsendrqysm.png

uncharted4_athiefsendq2yiw.png

27163123976_686fd47e9c_o.png

26593479763_68563bc354_o.png

27203788755_ed2fbcb868_o_d.png

uncharted4_athiefsendllzwi.png

Cut-scenes model:
uncharted4_athiefsendl7z4o.png

but i agree, in some lightning conditions SSR doesn't work nicely!

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sorry if this has been asked before, but..

With PS5 being "fully backward compatible", do we know yet if digital PS3 games (like Scott Pilgrim for example) we have purchased on our PSN accounts be available and playable to owners again on the new system?
That is a question for the Sony SMEs but how I understood it PS3 BC is achieved by PS Now streaming.

Your Fave

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if any of the work that came out of this collab between Remedy and MS has carried over to the development of Scarlett

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before, but..

With PS5 being "fully backward compatible", do we know yet if digital PS3 games (like Scott Pilgrim for example) we have purchased on our PSN accounts be available and playable to owners again on the new system?
My understanding is Sony has only confirmed backwards compatibility for PS4 games.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Let's take a look at what the guys building the next PS have to say about this pricing thing. Sony has stated that:

a) PS4 will be the main profit driver for the first few years of the new generation. Profit being the operative word; not revenue, profit.
b) They want and expect to transition players very quickly to the next gen platform.
c) There's also the graph that showed a massive dip in projected division profitability for the FY after the gen launch, and that's noteworthy especially when you take into account their growth in recurring revenues.

A tells me the PS5 won't sell at a profit. It likely won't be very profitable - or at all - after the initial purchases (i.e. game, accessory and PS+ sub).
B tells me they are going for mainstream pricing, cutting as close to no-brainer buy as they can - getting as many people on your new platform as early as you can is important because of the network effect, and they understand that very well.

These things together tell me PS5 will sell at a considerable loss to achieve a mainstream price. $399 and not one cent above that.
Good post.

I should mention that a Samsung manufactured die funnily enough kills the Samsung HBM rumor. This would necessitate a Samsung going to TSMC for packaging, which seems very unlikely.

But I absolutely believe a Zen 2 Navi 10 console with SSD can be sold for $399 at retail.

The die size should be in the neighborhood of 320mm^2 as noted and rumored. 16GB of RAM will be comparatively cheaper than PS4 because they don't need to do clamshell. Prepare for a 9TF system in that case.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
More important than the way the bandwidth is managed with the hbm plus ddr4 rumor,
It should also use significantly less power than gddr6.
Which means you can push the gpu harder.

How big of a difference are we looking at?
We know gddr6 pulls 2w per chip, not sure what controller pulls. Hbm2 pulls ~20w per 8gb config. Ddr4 would be ~3w per 8gb.
If we look at 5700 vs 5700xt tbp numbers, a 180mhz jump in clocks warrants a 35w increase in tdp, 122w vs 157w.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Is it that everyone went to sleep and woke up forgetting how good current gen games look? Running on 1.8TF consoles?

Only the heretic demo and Book of the dead and a few other landscape stuff look "next-gen" to me. And that is more due to the consistently high level of detail across the board that could probably just be attributed to more texture and more RAM. With exception to the heretic demo though. And if anyone thinks next-gen games won't blow that heretic demo out of the water.... then you are in for some pleasant surprises.

Again, pls all just remember all the great stuff we have seen this gen so far runs on a Jaguar CPU, 1.8TF GPU and 5GB of RAM.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
it looks exact the same during gameplay and cut-scenes. this is in-game model of nate during gameplay
PICS

Thing is UC4 years old by now and i think Ellie looks just as good maybe better in some ways .
Think people underestimating next gen .
Still characters wise i don't think we have for more to go aside from animation and few small things.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I make another break until around the 7th of July as I expect nothing important to happen between now and then. However I will check the progress in pages from time to time.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
~9tflops in 2020 and 12-14tflops in 2023 for mid-gen refresh both fo $399. sounds dissapointing for me!

Thing is UC4 years old by now and i think Ellie looks just as good maybe better in some ways .
Think people underestimating next gen .
Still characters wise i don't think we have for more to go aside from animation and few small things.
The Last of Us part 2's character models looks a gen ahead in my opinion!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Good post.

I should mention that a Samsung manufactured die funnily enough kills the Samsung HBM rumor. This would necessitate a Samsung going to TSMC for packaging, which seems very unlikely.

But I absolutely believe a Zen 2 Navi 10 console with SSD can be sold for $399 at retail.

The die size should be in the neighborhood of 320mm^2 as noted and rumored. 16GB of RAM will be comparatively cheaper than PS4 because they don't need to do clamshell. Prepare for a 9TF system in that case.

Well his post did say he expect Sony to sell at a lost .
Anex how much you think sony would be willing to lose.
They lost money on every consoles so far in the early stages .

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The only issue is the lighting in bright daylight and in day shade makes drakes model looks terrible.

While i think nate looks incredible during cinematics his in game model and shading leaves a lot to be desired. He can look really bad in some lightning conditions and never really approaches these renders during gameplay.

26492641314_bc94195b60_o_d.png

uncharted4_athiefsendsrlhy.png

uncharted4_athiefsendrqysm.png

uncharted4_athiefsendq2yiw.png

27163123976_686fd47e9c_o.png

26593479763_68563bc354_o.png

27203788755_ed2fbcb868_o_d.png

uncharted4_athiefsendllzwi.png

Cut-scenes model:
uncharted4_athiefsendl7z4o.png

IIn uncharted ingame models are the same as cutscenes the problem is that the SSS is broken during day-times.
I can explain to you why it is happening during daylight and not by nights where SSS is fine.
The SSS in Uncharted 4 is not a one equation SSS where it looks the sme regardless of the lighting condition but mostly is dependable according to light sources. You know skin irl look diffrent according to different lighting conditions. By night it is applied through different spotlights which are abundant, you get a local light just on top of Nathan and characters and it applies SSS on them from local spots an then you go past the previous spotlight to fall under anotehr one by night so you won't have a problem for SSS at all.

During daylight, you only have the sun as global light source which is different from abundant night local spotlights. sometimes the sunlight is occluded by some obstacles and since Uncharted has a static GI, there is no dynamic bounce of dimmer bounced lights from sunrays occluded by obstacles so the skin is not reacting to such non existent dynamic bounced rays. That is why SSS gets broken and not applied during some scenes in daylight.

This is happening also in RE2 Remake and even during night scenes after you go past some local spotlights and you don't fall under a close local spotlight but no one is screaming that for RE2 Reamke.

I don't thin this can be solved in TLOU2 if they are using the same techs especially that they didn't fix or use another tech for motion blur (still the same broken motion blur with ghosting from Uncharted 4).

They can fix this on PS5 by using dynamic GI with ray-tracing coupled with a non fixed SSS equations which will give even more subtle effects where skin looks different accroding to different lighting conditions

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
If you're targeting a certain resolution at the high end, it doesn't matter much if a lower end SKU can run it at a lower (dynamic) resolution.

Certainly not an expert here but I assume it'd need the very same CPU and the very same memory solution to avoid any draw-backs besides a lower resolution. I don't think that would have been the case here (as in: only difference would have been a much more potent GPU of the high end SKU).

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
~9tflops in 2020 and 12-14tflops in 2023 for mid-gen refresh both fo $399. sounds dissapointing for me!

The Last of Us part 2's character models looks a gen ahead in my opinion!

No mid-gen refreshes, please. I think even Sony stated some time ago that they will not go with another Pro version. I'm all in for the form factor refresh, slim versions, but don't want any of that mid-gen upgrade bullshit. And this comes from the mouth, erm, keyboard of a guy who owns Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation 5 Is More Powerful Than Xbox Scarlett, According To Devs

How close are the dev kits to the final specs typically? Do they change wildly or, assuming this statement is accurate, is this a precedent for the final specs of PS5 being more powerful than Xbox? Also, what kind of GPU do devkits come with if they're still researching on it? Are these just prototyped gpus (a small batch AMD manufactured for Sony/MS)?

All those site replying the same site based in nothing.
"According to devs" and no one of those devs said the specs of the PS5 or Scarlett? lmao.

But yeah, not much different from the consumer product, probably only more ram.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we anticipate that Sony will have an official limited time trade-in campaign where owners of current gen consoles can trade their consoles for a sizeable credit towards a PS5? Likely a tiered system where XB1X = PS4 PRO > PS4 > XB1 in terms of trade in value It's gives customers the impression that they are saving a great deal of money and assists in getting them to adopt the new gen.

I'm not sure how this would impact this them financially but I thought that any damages could be mitigated by users being prompted to use their saved dollars to purchase games and a number of subscription services. I saw this as a way of them subsidizing costs if their console really is $450-$500.

So good idea, bad idea?

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
My hot take on next-gen graphics is that we've reached a point where the main drawback is funding, not tech.
As such, I wouldn't expect games to look massively more detailed than they are now.

It's not even a matter of Nathan Drake looking "ok", he looks absolutely phenomenal.
Anything beyond that and you're wasting money imo, especially when art direction, design and estethics can do so much more.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Okay. Got you mate. That Reiner tweet is a mystery for sure.

That info about devkits comes from people with kinda so so track record right now. And if i'm not mistaken the big 3rd party publishers get the kits almost at the same time as 1st party? Maybe im wrong.
And we got confirmation about lots of studios making next gen games already.
And dont forget about that one Zhuge post in Sony FP thread where he said that devkits are already out for some studios. Dont think MS will be far behind with sending the kits too. So there is a chance that some big third party publisher got a devkit of ps5 and skarlett

That Zhuge post from January

Reiner talked about devs that are developing next gen games for both MS and Sony and also specified that the PS5's had more TFs. So he was quite specific.

It also aligns with most of the rest of the rumours floating around.

At this point in time I believe that the devkits are out and Sony's one has more TFs.

How this news may have affected MS strategy regarding the 2 SKU's announcement, and also going forward, is all conjecture.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
My hot take on next-gen graphics is that we've reached a point where the main drawback is funding, not tech.
As such, I wouldn't expect games to look massively more detailed than they are now.

It's not even a matter of Nathan Drake looking "ok", he looks absolutely phenomenal.
Anything beyond that and you're wasting money imo, especially when art direction, design and estethics can do so much more.

Fundings, resources, human power, skills, time, the will to do such amazing things and not rush things for easy money, passion, the love f the job etc...

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Looking forward to next gen hardware but will I be blown away like I was in the past?..........

Starting from an 8bit Amstrad CPC 464 -

1. Playing Sonic 1 and Super Mario World on Megadrive and SNES
2. Playing WipEout on PSX
3. Playing Gran Turismo 3 A Spec on PS2
4. Playing Call Of Duty 2 on 360
5. Playing Forza Horizon 2 on Xbone

These are probably the moments when I really knew I was playing in a different league than before.

Will it be the same going from PS4 to PS5 or Xbone X to Scarlett?
I doubt it (graphically anyway) tbh, but I still think the overall jump will be significant.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
What about the cooling of next-gen systems? Can we assume that both Xbox and PlayStation will use a vapor chamber like the One X?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
All those site replying the same site based on nothing.
"According to devs" and no one of those devs said the specs of the PS5 or Scarlett? lmao.

But yeah, not much different from the consumer product, probably only more ram.
i mean, at their position would you say the specs? they are likely signed under heavy NDA, they are saying as much as they safely can say without getting in trouble.
that is probably part of the reason why kotaku or other websites did not leak the specs. they cant use the words of one trusted person, they need a bunch of developers to agree to risk their NDA and anonymously give out the details to them so they can cross validate the details, and only then make the article.
because unlike here, jason schreier doesnt use paste bin as his source ;p

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tools have improved drastically. here are some videos of people creating photorealistic levels within an hour.

the same artists who create character models for this gen will now create character models for next gen. the only difference would be them creating more realistic and detailed models. it shouldnt take much longer. right now, they are limited and a lot of time is spent making sure the art is 'bad' enough to make sure it can run on current gen engines. next gen, the ceiling goes up higher so they have to do less work to downscale their models.

Jun 18, 2018
I doubt it (graphically anyway) tbh, but I still think the overall jump will be significant.

I think it's going to be hard to judge initially because the graphical jump won't be so obvious, but all that extra processing power will be used to create more dynamic and reactive worlds, allowing new bars to be set for interactivity.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to next gen hardware but will I be blown away like I was in the past?..........

Starting from an 8bit Amstrad CPC 464 -

1. Playing Sonic 1 and Super Mario World on Megadrive and SNES
2. Playing WipEout on PSX
3. Playing Gran Turismo 3 A Spec on PS2
4. Playing Call Of Duty 2 on 360
5. Playing Forza Horizon 2 on Xbone

These are probably the moments when I really knew I was playing in a differeant league than before.

Will it be the same going from PS4 to PS5 or Xbone X to Scarlett?

You are lucky like some to have witnessed most of the gens and the jump in graphics for many generations. The jump from 2D pixels to 3D is the bigegst one, then the jump from blocky polygons to more refined ones is great too. Then we get improvemnts gen after gen. You will witness a big jump next-gen especially if you understand tech and you are willing to witness its subtle additions and refinements like RT with off-screen reflections from objects not displayed on screen or more accurate shadows or bounced lights. Newcomers or kids playing Fortnite will just scream to get a PS5 or next-gen Xbox just cus they see their friends playing on it and won't understand anything even if Fortnite gets RT update.

tools have improved drastically. here are some videos of people creating photorealistic levels within an hour.

the same artists who create character models for this gen will now create character models for next gen. the only difference would be them creating more realistic and detailed models. it shouldnt take much longer. right now, they are limited and a lot of time is spent making sure the art is 'bad' enough to make sure it can run on current gen engines. next gen, the ceiling goes up higher so they have to do less work to downscale their models.

I think it's going to be hard to judge initially because the graphical jump won't be so obvious, but all that extra processing power will be used to create more dynamic and reactive worlds, allowing new bars to be set for interactivity.

Exactly. More subtle things that weren't possible before. previous gens just installed the basis for this to happen. It's now when we are going to have really alive games clsoe to reality.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Yes, afaik you are absolutely correct. Days Gone did a great job with SSR during gameplay. GoW is another game where depending on the lighting Kratos can range from looking okay to absolutely phenomenal.

Here are a 3 examples of Uncharted 4 in gameplay (no photomode BS) for each:

Ideal lighting condition:

5caf2e1160526044.jpg

aab85f1160522974.jpg

23e3b31162323634.png

Non ideal lighting conditions:

d27d661162323984.png

000f761160530884.png

d445b81160530794.png

The shading and SSR Sub Surface Scattering (SSS) during ambiently lit scenes suffer the most. Again, given the increase in power, I do expect quite of these shortcomings to be addressed.

However, conversely, in-engine cutscenes will see an equal boost creating disparity between real time gameplay (that has to set aside computational power for player action variables) and in-engine real time cutscenes.

Apr 4, 2019
Certainly not an expert here but I assume it'd need the very same CPU and the very same memory solution to avoid any draw-backs besides a lower resolution. I don't think that would have been the case here (as in: only difference would have been a much more potent GPU of the high end SKU).
Given how the design of the midgen twins went, why wouldn't the CPUs be similar?

edit:

There'd probably be more thermal headroom for CPU clocks for a smaller APU (or rather, due to the GPU being less of a power hog there), so they'd probably end up clocking things similarly in that respect anyway, rather than boost the higher-end (as opposed to Neo/Scorpio's +30% boost).

Last edited:

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
i mean, at their position would you say the specs? they are likely signed under heavy NDA, they are saying as much as they safely can say without getting in trouble.
that is probably part of the reason why kotaku or other websites did not leak the specs. they cant use the words of one trusted person, they need a bunch of developers to agree to risk their NDA and anonymously give out the details to them so they can cross validate the details, and only then make the article.

That's the problem...
They already broke the NDA.
Super confident saying about one console being more powerful, but not confident enough to say the specs, because NDA?
A lot of devs from various studios with both Devkits, and no leaks from big sites? nah...

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

I'm glad to hear that it's getting easier an easier to achieve photo-realistic visuals without a studio breaking the bank, this is something that needs to be addressed in the Next Generation and all future gens, a way to heavily reduce the production costs of these huge AAA games and have more of them release per year than what we currently have now, plus reducing the need for publishers to charge $60 per game with a crazy amount of micro transactions sold with the game to help with it's notoriously high development budget.

Cheaper to make AAA games and a powerful next gen hardware to boot would help out so many artists, story-tellers and developers unleash their wildest imaginations without any technological or financial restraints holding them back, that is what i wish for.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

What happened to VGLeaks anyway?

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
You are lucky like some to have witnessed most of the gens and the jump in graphics for many generations. The jump from 2D pixels to 3D is the bigegst one, then the jump from blocky polygons to more refined ones is great too. Then we get improvemnts gen after gen. You will witness a big jump next-gen especially if you understand tech and you are willing to witness its subtle additions and refinements like RT with off-screen reflections from objects not displayed on screen or more accurate shadows or bounced lights. Newcomers or kids playing Fortnite will just scream to get a PS5 or next-gen Xbox just cus they see their friends playing on it and won't understand anything even if Fortnite gets RT update.

I've been impressed at what we've seen with the humble Jaguar tbh. I agree with you that it'll be the subtle graphical upgrades that will be interesting to see along with more immersive open worlds and faster loading times etc.

Cyberpunk on PS5 looks like it could be number 6 on the list of moments when I was blown away.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
That's fine I explaiend in my post the reason for that in some games.

Just read it and it makes sense. Direct and close up light source help render Nate in much better overall fidelity that based off of static ambient (GI).

Here are a couple from the same scene where earlier Nate's lack of SSS was so profound but this time his proximity to a direct light source alters the situation:

6580001160531614.png

3dc2f81160532134.png

d71f7f1160531044.png

Now compare this to DG in three different lighting conditions:

8d84c31230673474.jpg

972c881230673464.jpg

60f6411207907484.png

I am unfamiliar with UE4's tool set to comment how DG's devs were able to consistently implement SSS throughout their game (something DF commented on, iirc). This bodes well for next gen's real time gameplay segment fidelity for character models populating the world.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Thing is they could sell a $500 console at $400 .
A extra $75 to $100 can do a lot for parts .
If MS and Sony selling consoles for $500 i don't see them selling at a lost .
That is to much money to cost cut to get around $400 in a year time for the first price drop or to do temp price cuts .
IMO people not thinking about cost cutting and getting the price down .

I can see this being true, specially if the total RAM is just 16GB

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Reiner talked about devs that are developing next gen games for both MS and Sony and also specified that the PS5's had more TFs. So he was quite specific.

It also aligns with most of the rest of the rumours floating around.

At this point in time I believe that the devkits are out and Sony's one has more TFs.

How this news may have affected MS strategy regarding the 2 SKU's announcement, and also going forward, is all conjecture.

Did they say Tflops or just "flops"???

If it's "Tflops" then Microsoft might be in a very uncomfortable position

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Just read it and it makes sense. Direct and close up light source help render Nate in much better overall fidelity that based off of static ambient (GI).

Here are a couple from the same scene where earlier Nate's lack of SSS was so profound but this time his proximity to a direct light source alters the situation:

6580001160531614.png

3dc2f81160532134.png

d71f7f1160531044.png

Now compare this to DG in three different lighting conditions:

8d84c31230673474.jpg

972c881230673464.jpg

60f6411207907484.png

I am unfamiliar with UE4's tool set to comment how DG's devs were able to consistently implement SSS throughout their game (something DF commented on, iirc). This bodes well for next gen's real time gameplay segment fidelity for character models populating the world.

Yeah great shots and they highlight what I said. I will go more technical now. In Uncharted 4 and other games, they use SSSSS (too many S haha bu it stands for Screen-Space Sub Surface Scattering) meaning that if the skin is not directly hit by a source that is displayed on the screen (so screen space) the SSS gets broken because the source is not existent in the code of the SSS. UE4 for years now, are using the creation of Jorge Jimenez the artist of COD who created SSSS (Separable Sub Surface Scattering) which like the name describes it is separated from such screen space light sources that got broken if the ligth source is not on screen. He came to that after many equations and approximations. You can even find a comparison about the old SSSSS Epic used and the newer SSSS in the UE4 program samples.
I hoped more devs used such SSSS until dynamic GI gets more widespread to overcome this.

SS (Screen Space) term needs to go extinct next-gen with dynamic GI and RT.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That's the problem...
They already broke the NDA.
Super confident saying about one console being more powerful, but not confident enough to say the specs, because NDA?
A lot of devs from various studios with both Devkits, and no leaks from big sites? nah...
sure, because saying one console is more powerful than the other is obviously on the same risk level as leaking the full spec list.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
My hunch is that if they wanted to experiment with higher pricing and test the price elasticity of the console market, they would have done so with the PS4 Pro, which is an inherently premium, core-focused product with much lower stakes for the company than the next PlayStation.

That they still built the Pro to the $399 price point says something about their thinking, I think.

Agree. Also add that the X sold very well at $499, which makes me think
$399 is the sweet spot for launch consoles and $499 for midgen refreshes.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
....I'm kinda mindblown from the narrative change about the PS5 is stronger quote. We went from "it may be an early devkit" to "They wouldn't break NDA"

Status
Not open for further replies.