• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rylen

Feb 5, 2019
He comes down on Navi pretty hard, mostly for price, but he's also right you'd like to see it at the 150/180W marks that Polaris hit.

Edit: I think there is a non-zero chance that Sony or MS uses Samsung 7nm for their console. It's near identical to TSMC 7FF in density, but the wafer pricing is excellent. The AMD GPU deal and Nvidia switching to Samsung for Ampere could be bellwether moments. We'll see if that reddit leak was true about 7nm Samsung for PS4 super slim. It makes a ton of sense as a pipe cleaner for AMD and validating their GDDR6 PHYS on Samsung 7nm.

I think the power consumption is going to be prettty identical to an RX 580.

I think there's miscommunication and misinformation because TDP and TBP are being mixed around by everyone.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Man, that video is depressing when you realize how bad AMD is doing truly competing with Nvidia in graphics. I think that Intel is going to make a big move in the next several years over them in that space with the moves that they have been making. This also makes me realize why neither Sony or Microsoft seem to be flaunting graphics stuff much in their initial communications about next gen hardware.
What make you think want compete with Nvidia in high end gpu market? I always thought they are more interested to the low/midrange market (for now). And the sony/MS communication has nothing to do with such consideration.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
What make you think want compete with Nvidia in high end gpu market? I always thought they are more interested to the low/midrange market (for now).

That is my point, these cards overall with performance and price factored in are really not truly competing with Nvidia at the midrange well enough. Especially when it sounds like we are about a week away or so based on rumors of Nvidia dropping their whole line down a rung in terms of pricing, which would make an RTX 2080 be more what that AMD Navi card is going against.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That is my point, these cards overall with performance and price factored in are really not truly competing with Nvidia at the midrange well enough. Especially when it sounds like we are about a week away or so based on rumors of Nvidia dropping their whole line down a rung in terms of pricing, which would make an RTX 2080 be more what that AMD Navi card is going against.
They said exactly the same thing about Ryzen cpu when was revealed at the time. Let's see concretely when they are out before to start the drama...

Rylen

Feb 5, 2019
I think the power consumption is going to be prettty identical to an RX 580.

I think there's miscommunication and misinformation because TDP and TBP are being mixed around by everyone.

Nvidia released the top chart, their TDp's are insanely low..

QaKbGMP.jpg

zYDduV4.png

k9YMrtV.png

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
I've been reading about sociopaths, and it is helping me understand online discourse. Unlike psychopaths (1% of the population) who cannot form any human emotional bonds and are too smart and successful to bother with pointless internet junk, sociopaths(4-5% of population) can form some attachments, to say, for example, a console brand.

And because sociopaths have zero empathy for other humans, but can bond emotionally to certain things or ideas, you get toxic online discourse. They also have trouble keeping a job, so they have lots of time for posting. Thy are only 4-5% of the population though (psychopaths being 1%, but they dont infest online discoirse because there is nothing in it for them, too calculating). Sociopaths do lash out and can get highly emotional, and are on all sides of the political spectrum, and corporate fanboy spectrum...And unless you could segregate them to their own sub forum, I don't think spliting the topic would do anything to elevate discourse. It is better they become emotionally attached to a console than say Nazism, so that is a positive.

Anyway, that has helped me understand things operate online, and irl for that matter. It has also made me a little sad, knowing that the most successful business and political leaders are,psychopaths, and there is nothing i can do about that. There really should be some testing involved in the political process. Just getting,a president of the united states with a working conscience would be ace. We haven't had one since Carter.
lol not sure what this is.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
He comes down on Navi pretty hard, mostly for price, but he's also right you'd like to see it at the 150/180W marks that Polaris hit.

Edit: I think there is a non-zero chance that Sony or MS uses Samsung 7nm for their console. It's near identical to TSMC 7FF in density, but the wafer pricing is excellent. The AMD GPU deal and Nvidia switching to Samsung for Ampere could be bellwether moments. We'll see if that reddit leak was true about 7nm Samsung for PS4 super slim. It makes a ton of sense as a pipe cleaner for AMD and validating their GDDR6 PHYS on Samsung 7nm.

A bit off topic,but when we see now these prices of mid range GPUs (both AMD & Nvidia) next gen $399-$499 consoles will be crazy good value for average consumer.

Feb 10, 2018
This is the reason I predict a range. It could be any combination in between that range fro each platform.

Is this your most recent? It's the only one thread marked?

New thread - old habits

I repost my last recent prediction - bookmark it as I will update this prediction every once in a while ...

eAsAZZH.png

Remarks/Assumptions:
  • Clock speeds derived from TBP of Navi PC GPUs
  • Both platform holders have the chance to wear the performance crown
  • Expecting an increase in game performance at the same computational power (TFs) just not by the number itself by at least 15%
Change Log:
Rev 9.0: Incorporated E3 Info from MS, AMD and some secret sauce from my side that will not be disclosed
Rev 8.2: Lower clock for the lower bounds . (27-05-2019)
Rev 8.1: Eliminate the difference between PS5/Anaconda but having 2 tier prediction for those consoles
Rev 8: New NAVI architecture makes CUs obsolete. Consolidated to ECC vote as more likely now after Computex info (27-05-2019)
Rev 7.1: Included the Endless Cycle Committee prediction vote into the table after a RfC (25-05-2019)
Rev 7: Completely changed prediction scheme: Lower and Upper bounds provide the range I expect the consoles will land (16-05-2019)
Rev 6.1: Changed from Baseline to Ballpark, Modified specs based on new information available to me
Rev 6: Consolidated to 1 baseline per console, adjusted specs & pricing for all consoles
Rev 5: Added 3rd tier to adapt on AdoredTV table of Navi GPUs
Rev. 4.3: SSD for Lockhart, Lockhart now $399 instead of $349
Rev. 4.2: Increased Memory clock instead of 448Gbps,

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
As it stands now, on paper the next gen systems are barely 2x the power of the X I already own and will be three years old when the new systems. I hoped for a bigger leap but probably not possible for $500 or less.
It'll feel like a bigger leap due to SSD mostly. And Zen 2 will fix a lot of issues.
Also, people are still discounting hardware RT. That's not really comparable to what we had last gen and it's not included in the performance figures.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As it stands now, on paper the next gen systems are barely 2x the power of the X I already own and will be three years old when the new systems. I hoped for a bigger leap but probably not possible for $500 or less.
Only if you look at teraflops count. We have SSD and an actual non shit CPU to be optimistic for.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New thread - old habits

I repost my last recent prediction - bookmark it as I will update this prediction every once in a while ...

eAsAZZH.png

Remarks/Assumptions:
  • Clock speeds derived from TBP of Navi PC GPUs
  • Both platform holders have the chance to wear the performance crown
  • Expecting an increase in game performance at the same computational power (TFs) just not by the number itself by at least 15%
Change Log:
Rev 9.0: Incorporated E3 Info from MS, AMD and some secret sauce from my side that will not be disclosed
Rev 8.2: Lower clock for the lower bounds . (27-05-2019)
Rev 8.1: Eliminate the difference between PS5/Anaconda but having 2 tier prediction for those consoles
Rev 8: New NAVI architecture makes CUs obsolete. Consolidated to ECC vote as more likely now after Computex info (27-05-2019)
Rev 7.1: Included the Endless Cycle Committee prediction vote into the table after a RfC (25-05-2019)
Rev 7: Completely changed prediction scheme: Lower and Upper bounds provide the range I expect the consoles will land (16-05-2019)
Rev 6.1: Changed from Baseline to Ballpark, Modified specs based on new information available to me
Rev 6: Consolidated to 1 baseline per console, adjusted specs & pricing for all consoles
Rev 5: Added 3rd tier to adapt on AdoredTV table of Navi GPUs
Rev. 4.3: SSD for Lockhart, Lockhart now $399 instead of $349
Rev. 4.2: Increased Memory clock instead of 448Gbps,
Colbert pls. What do you mean by this.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
They should have waited longer for next gen then. Traditionally console leaps are much larger.

The "mid-gen" refreshes, in particular the Xbox One X which is really great, throw things off some because you are supposed to be comparing to the base consoles of each platform for a generation change. SSDs and far better CPUs will be huge, but yeah I do hear you.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I am just curious why you have a higher memory bandwidth estimate on Scarlett Anaconda over PS5?
Changed back to 256-bit. Trust my own gut more than info I read here.

You definitely don't expect PS5 below 10TF?
Yes, Gonzalo was 2019 imo

Is this your most recent? It's the only one thread marked?
Yes, I only update that single comment. Better than having them all over the thread

Colbert pls. What do you mean by this.
secret sauce = my brain

Last edited:

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Colbert prediction is huge.

10.7rdna tflops is nearly as powerful then a vega 7/rtx2080

This.

Were essentially going from a customised Radeon 7870 to the equivalent of up to an RTX 2070.

Good lord if that isn't considered a big leap in performance then I don't know what else to say to be honest....

This is huge and there is no denying that.

EDIT: changed prediction

Last edited:

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
This.

Were essentially going from a customised Radeon 7870 to the equivalent of an RTX 2080.

Good lord if that isn't considered a big leap in performance then I don't know what else to say to be honest....

This is huge and there is no denying that.

Has something happened the last few days which has confirmed this, or still just speculation?

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having a 10 teraflop GPU with the upgraded architecture and ray-tracing seems like a bigger and better upgrade than we had going into this generation.

Combined with the massive CPU upgrade and the addition of the SSD, I'm not disappointed in the least.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Speculation, RDNA's architecture is amazing when compared to GCN, especially the lower end iteration of GCN found within the Polarus GPU that the Xbox One X uses.
I think it's fair to say RDNA seems like a big improvement over GCN. But what is meant by this? Microsoft claims that the GPU in the Xbox One X is more powerful/capable than stock Polaris at the same TF.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I still expect the RTX 2060 to be next gens 750 Ti, aka the PC card that will match or beat console perfomance and console settings at console resolutions throughout next gen. At the absolute most I expect the ceiling to be the RTX 2070 but I really doubt that is going to happen outside of some cherry picked benchmarks.

Ateron

Oct 30, 2017
People complain that this isn't a big jump because we already have a 4.2tf and a 6tf machine available, but we need to take into account that even these machines are bound by the lowest common denominator (the base consoles).

If we could see games like God of war or tlou2 being developed solely for the pro, the jump would be a lot more apparent.

Next gen, and if these leaks turn out to be real, we're gonna have something along the lines of 10 RDNA Tf, which, if I'm understanding correctly, can punch 25% above their weight. This would put them at real world capabilities of 12.5 Tf. Is it a jump compared to 6tf on the X1? Yeah, although not a huge one.

Is it a huge jump compared to 1.8/1.4 Tf? Damn right it is. No matter how much more powerful the X1 is, it's still being shackled by the constraints of current base consoles and in going so, most of that power goes to resolution and locking 30fps (maybe 60 in some games). There's no change in geometry, npc density, destruction.

Next gen will not be a leap from 6 to 12, it's gonna be a leap from 1.4 to 12. It's almost 10x, for those who take things this linearly (they shouldn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.