• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't understand the meltdowns. It's been known for weeks the 5700 was 2070-level. Furthermore, this was not a console reveal.
People willfully ignored the math and helpful guides people constructed with tables. They set themselves up for disappointment.

Oh, I know... I am trying to console AegonSnake.

Personally, I am still expecting 56CU GPUs in next-gen consoles. With 48CU active.

I also expect at least 48 CU in one console and at least one console with 10+ TF.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Can it hold data needed for the next frame instead of it being in memory? No, it can't.
It can - you're overestimating the amount of total data accessed during rendering of a frame.

There can be more space needs for runtime generated structures you mention, and many of those 'have' to be resident as you don't have convenient access patterns, but that's not the stuff people online are demanding "nexgen" ram quantities for anyway, as it's not particularly advertised how much space they can use.

I agree with you there but there's no HDD option in either PS5 or Xb4 and 12GBs of RAM is definitely too low for the next gen machine.
I was mainly asserting that if a cost trade-off was made for the kind of high-speed SSDs as rumored in nexgen machines, cutting some Ram would be more than worth it for it. Obviously none of us have the BOM to speculate on at this point.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Well if it makes you feel any better

an RTX 2070 OC is roughly just like 3 - 4 fps lower then a GTX 1080TI tested on 9 games.

And as we saw earlier an RX 5700 XT is slightly better then a RTX 2070, therefore on par with a GTX 1080TI

And thats on a 2019 RDNA hybrid card, imagine what the pure RDNA cards of 2020 will do that will definetly be in the next gen consoles.

Next Gen consoles with the GPU power of a GTX 1080TI doesn't seem like a pipedream tbh.

The overclocking is heavily misleading, 1080 Ti beats the 2080 much of the time. Consoles are not getting 2ghz clocks, PS5 seems to be 1.8ghz.
Really at this point it seems like PS5 is getting the 5700 XT at 1.8ghz, which should be a $250 GPU but AMD & Nvidia are price hiking like crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So we won't learn if the broken features in Vega are fixed in Navi until after July 7th? Vega supported Rapid Packed Math already right?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They state a 7nm+ GPU coming in 2020 or 2021 with some HW RT features.

rdna.png

rdna2.png

rdna3.png

rdna4.png

Last edited:

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
It's clear that the consoles will not be using ofc the shelf parts. The 'customization' will literally Be the huge news of the consoles

The sucky part is now we have to wade through a year and half of insanity and pastebin leaks

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I don't understand the meltdowns. It's been known for weeks the 5700 was 2070-level. Furthermore, this was not a console reveal.

Exactly. When AMD told us the 5700 was only 10% faster than 2070 in Strange Brigade, they told us exactly what to expect. That's a title AMD has always done well in vs NV and one even v64 bested the 2070 IIRC.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People willfully ignored the math and helpful guides people constructed with tables. They set themselves up for disappointment.

I also expect at least 48 CU in one console and at least one console with 10+ TF.
given the 5700xt is already 180 tdp no your not. yeah you can reduce clockspeeds , but than adding the extra cus doesnt get you much other than less usable chips.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is Navi 12... and the next-gen consoles will be using Navi 10?
I kinda doubt that consoles will be using an even bigger GPU than 5700, especially considering that they will get RDNA2 with RT h/w and other new features probably which will add even more transistors to each flop.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Some of you folks and your fatalistic attitudes. I really hope it dies down within a week because this won't be good for the health of anyone reading and contributing.

Personally, this same I had a similar breakdown when folks predicted back in late 2012 that next gen would need to have at least 2.4TF to bring ground breaking visuals and then it fell through when the highest spec console was rated at 1.84TF. "Gamer over man, it's game over" was prevalent attitude among many including myself and it was honestly a toxic circle jerk that went on for days.

Now, over 7 years older, I feel like it was so silly in retrospect and that the lesson to learned included the fact that target and established hard specs are not be all and end all when it comes to software and then mid gen refresh introduced another paradigm shift that no one saw coming.

So, I hope the older folks here can take a longer view of things.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Why? Everything has already been said.

Everything? Come one, lol.

We still don't know half of it, starting with the two SKU's strategy.

If anything we got more questions today than before the conference, but they were quick to downplay the Wired interview.

I'll say it again that interview was great marketing wise, we're still discussing the same talking points that were brought up there

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Have you played RE7 in VR? Doesn't get more immersive than that, AAA or not :P

In in any case I'm really glad immersive experiences will drive next gen, as I'm a fan of both VR and SP narrative focused games

re7vr was a good indicator of what VR can be, not what it is.

Any critique of VR and fans are accusing you of wanting the tech to burn in a fire. As a PRO and PSVR owner, I'm looking forward to the future of VR but I can't wait to trade both towards a ps5/ana.

Last edited:

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Felt like the guy's messaging around we don't want to add extra features that will reduce performance was a direct statement to explain the absence of raytracing.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the benches on the 7.7 and reviews of their new features. They do sound quite interesting. Next year can't come soon enough.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Some of you folks and your fatalistic attitudes. I really hope it dies down within a week because this won't be good for the health of anyone reading and contributing.

Personally, this same I had a similar breakdown when folks predicted back in late 2012 that next gen would need to have at least 2.4TF to bring ground breaking visuals and then it fell through when the highest spec console was rated at 1.84TF. "Gamer over man, it's game over" was prevalent attitude among many including myself and it was honestly a toxic circle jerk that went on for days.

Now, over 7 years older, I feel like it was so silly in retrospect and that the lesson to learned included the fact that target and established hard specs are not be all and end all when it comes to software and then mid gen refresh introduced another paradigm shift that no one saw coming.

That's not really a problem this next gen, we saw stuff like FFXV, Watch Dogs, Star Wars 1313 & Deep Down that needed more powerful hardware & when PS4/XO didn't achieve that we saw a big downgrade, luckily now i think devs know much more about what they are getting & they are keeping more demo's close to their chest.

It is still disappointing AMD couldn't quite make Navi live up to the hype, competition is good for everyone, PC & Consoles.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate this approach. It's all too easy to get caught up in the hype and disappointment assembly line.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
If both Scarlett and PS5 have hardware RT why are people so sure they will be based off these cards, which don't?

If anything that supports the Navi 10 stuff for me. They are bigger better cards, this is just the entree.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
my guess is rdna+ rt tbh, I think rdna 2 is 2021.
Codenames don't matter. For all we know now RDNA2 may be exactly RDNA+RT and nothing else. It will still be more complex than Navi's RDNA.

that feels like a excuse for rt not being ready yet.
It was a cheap stab considering they're barely edging out NV's RTX cards on a next gen production process without any RT which showcases that it doesn't in fact slow down anything.

Smutpeddler

Jan 11, 2018
ITT folks are learning that an architecture can't be measured by a single number alone. This is the reason MS didn't reveal their TF number, because it isn't a good descriptor of how the new console will perform. AMD has made a more efficient arch and we will see good things down the line.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
If both Scarlett and PS5 have hardware RT why are people so sure they will be based off these cards, which don't?

If anything that supports the Navi 10 stuff for me. They are bigger better cards, this is just the entree.
We still don't know, it could just be ray tracing via compute.
ITT folks are learning that an architecture can't be measured by a single number alone. This is the reason MS didn't reveal their TF number, because it isn't a good descriptor of how the new console will perform. AMD has made a more efficient arch and we will see good things down the line.
Clocks are not final yet is the reason they won't say anything. if Sony is clocked at 1.8ghz, Microsoft might try to push to 1.9ghz, we will see.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Don't know if someone has asked it yet since I imagine most of the conversation here is about power...

Now even if all this "SSD" based architecture stuff to reduce load times, I imagine that external HDDs will still be popular to use to get extra storage space without breaking the wallet. Ya'll think both companies will be nice enough to make it so our current externals on our PS4s and XB1s can easily be hot swapped and read by the new consoles immediately or will we have to format and redownload everything again?

Mainly asking cuz I got a 5tb external for both consoles right now lol

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Ok guys so what's now ? 5700XT seems to be 220W board power so 220W for the GPU and Vram right ?

Then the APU can't handle that if you add 30w for the Zen 2 and extra feature like RT or ram ? How can it be possible without downclock the GPU and maybe you can add the extras CU ?

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Ok guys so what's now ? 5700XT seems to be 220W board power so 220W for the GPU and Vram right ?

Then the APU can't handle that if you add 30w for the Zen 2 and extra feature like RT or ram ? How can it be possible without downclock the GPU and maybe you can add the extras CU ?

It would be underclocked and undervolted if it was a straight paste into a console setting. Slight lowering of clocks and voltage would likely have the same effect as with gcn cards. A pretty noticeable drop is power consumption.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
So next gen consoles won't have VRS (Variable Rate Shading) support?

That seems like an important feature to have can easily gain performance for visually no graphical downgrade

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
This.It will be unbearable.

Imagine if PS5 is 12.9 teraflops Navi without HW RT.
But Anaconda is ~10 teraflops Navi with HW RT.

The battles would be biblical.

That seems like an important feature to have can easily gain performance for visually no graphical downgrade

Scarlett reveal mentioned VRS.

EDIT: NVM.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
No joke, this place has been borderline unbearable lately.
Always good to take a break from this thread, I had to do so myself during the height of the Zen 3/Arcturus nonsense.

By the time we get full details on next gen, some people will have been in this thread speculating for 2+ years which is crazy to think about.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Teraflops are so last gen for measuring how big your console of choice's dick is. Now we're all about how fast your SSD can load NYC.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Correct.

With a single exception, there also aren't any new graphics features. Navi does not include any hardware ray tracing support, nor does it support variable rate pixel shading. AMD is aware of the demands for these, and hardware support for ray tracing is in their roadmap for RDNA 2 (the architecture formally known as "Next Gen"). But none of that is present here.

The one exception to all of this is the primitive shader. Vega's most infamous feature is back, and better still it's enabled this time. The primitive shader is compiler controlled, and thanks to some hardware changes to make it more useful, it now makes sense for AMD to turn it on for gaming. Vega's primitive shader, though fully hardware functional, was difficult to get a real-world performance boost from, and as a result AMD never exposed it on Vega.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
MS said VRR, variable refresh rate, IIRC.

Yep misheard.

But Scarlett is almost guaranteed to have it since it's in DirectX?

devblogs.microsoft.com

Variable Rate Shading: a scalpel in a world of sledgehammers - DirectX Developer Blog

One of the sides in the picture below is 14% faster when rendered on the same hardware, thanks to a new graphics feature available only on DirectX 12. Can you spot a difference in rendering quality? Neither can we. Which is why we’re very excited to announce that DirectX 12 is the first...

Status
Not open for further replies.