• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think its time to have a separate thread on this lol. The 8k mention just means the PS5 has the necessary HDMI spec to display at 8K for those TVs. A lot of devices are incapable of displaying any signal at 8K or scaling to 8K so its good to know a 2020 media device has that capability. There is extremely little chance for games to render at 8K as PS5's HDMI spec probably only allows 24-30hz max video signal at 8K. Its primarily going to be for any future 8K video content.

I feel differently, but we'll have to wait and see at this point.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Random Thought: Is it even remotely possible that there are PSVR 2 devkits also out in the wild?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO people still talking about 8TF.
It's not going to happen .
PS5 will be over that for certain , i say the floor is at least 10TF.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Clearly, they're missing the 1 in front of the 8.

Team 18-20TF strikes again! ;)

Welp, I guess while we all sit here and speculate the next expected news drop is at the end of May when AMD is supposed to unveil Navi, right? Anything on the books happening before then?

EDIT.

And I guess since the subject kinda sorta came up earlier, and with all of these Xbox-oriented insiders around, can one of them confirm if the next gen Xbox platforms will be using Navi? I ask because a cryptic statement by Benji (which he himself stated was only from 1 source and he wasn't sure if he believed it) claimed that the next Xbox architecture might vary wildly from the PS5. We know for certain the PS5 is using Navi, so IF that rumor were true then it could only mean 1 of 3 things:

1) Next gen Xbox would be using a pre-Navi architecture (something akin to Stadia)
2) Next gen Xbox would be using a post-Navi architecture (whatever it's called, it was previously erroneously referred to as Arcturus)
3) Next gen Xbox would be using Navi, but in a completely different configuration to Sony (ie. one of them is using Chiplets and the other monolithic)

Wondering if any of the insiders can confirm if it actually is Navi or not.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
People love to say "Jason said the consoles are above10.7 tf's". He never said that he said they are aiming to beat stadia. Which could mean less teraflops outperforming stadia.

Aiming to do something and actually doing it are 2 different things. Just like we know Microsoft is aiming to take the power crown.... just because they are aiming to doesn't mean it's happening 100%.

There are lots of contradictions right now. Jason thinks the consoles will be around or possibly about 10.7. Albert Penello and digital foundry are much more conservative.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Team 18-20TF strikes again! ;)

Welp, I guess while we all sit here and speculate the next expected news drop is at the end of May when AMD is supposed to unveil Navi, right? Anything on the books happening before then?

EDIT.

And I guess since the subject kinda sorta came up earlier, and with all of these Xbox-oriented insiders around, can one of them confirm if the next gen Xbox platforms will be using Navi? I ask because a cryptic statement by Benji (which he himself stated was only from 1 source and he wasn't sure if he believed it) claimed that the next Xbox architecture might vary wildly from the PS5. We know for certain the PS5 is using Navi, so IF that rumor were true then it could only mean 1 of 3 things:

1) Next gen Xbox would be using a pre-Navi architecture (something akin to Stadia)
2) Next gen Xbox would be using a post-Navi architecture (whatever it's called, it was previously erroneously referred to as Arcturus)
3) Next gen Xbox would be using Navi, but in a completely different configuration to Sony (ie. one of them is using Chiplets and the other monolithic)

Wondering if any of the insiders can confirm if it actually is Navi or not.
if I had to guess, I would say 3. ms has been pushing RT hard the last 2 years, it wouldnt shock me to see a weaker navi chip in terms of tfps, but a large part of it dedicated to rt hardware.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
LMAO people still talking about 8TF.
It's not going to happen .
PS5 will be over that for certain , i say the floor is at least 10TF.

PS5 above 10TF is mostly based on the GPU running at around 1800MHz.
It's unprecedented in any console so far.

Xbox One X at 1172 MHz is the highest ever so far by a huge margin.
And that console came out when Desktop GPUs were 2000MHz already.

So if anything, I would rather laught at people who are on the "100% above 10TF" train.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling to care about 10-20% extra horsepower for either box and while extra RAM is always nice, I don't think either box is going to ship with too little of it especially given that HBCC is a thing now. The important thing here is that these consoles will come in with plenty of power for their price points.

Right now my expectation is that both will be very close to each other and that people will fling fanboy poop at each other over the smallest of differences.

Oh absolutely at the end of the day. But if we're talking about what matters, well. It'll be the console that does 4K while the other does 1800p. Or maybe both run at 4K but only one is solid because more ram means it streams in elements of the open world without as many hitches, or has less pop in. As long as there are enough games with a tangible difference, it will absolutely make a difference to some people.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not at all. This gen, XB1 came in underpowered at $499 and with a bad RAM implementation, so it was a mess and clearly trumped by its competition.

I don't expect that to happen again next time. Both have SSDs, both have Zen 2 CPUs, both will have capable GPUs, even if one has more TFLOPs than the other it's not like we're going to really see a huge difference between 1800p vs native 4K, or higher shadow quality or whatever.

Maybe the biggest thing to set the two apart in visuals would be Ray Tracing power, but we'll have to see how it's implemented before it's worth speculating about that.
But even then wasn't really the difference only 900p vs 1080p or 900p vs 720p on some games? I've always noticed in exclusives and yes the Xbox being more expensive was a big thing sales wise but was the power difference end result bigger than what we're talking for next gen?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
But even then wasn't really the difference only 900p vs 1080p or 900p vs 720p on some games? I've always noticed in exclusives and yes the Xbox being more expensive was a big thing sales wise but was the power difference end result bigger than what we're talking for next gen?

A number of games iirc had slightly better textures or better effects (actually there were some cases iirc where the xbone had better effects -- I think it was Thief 2014? -- but lower resolution). Mostly devs stuck with 1080p vs 900p but there were sometimes a few other things that got minor adjustments I thought.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
If 300 I'm guessing Lockhart is 4.5-6.5 tf
If 400$ I'm guessing ps4 to be 8-10tf
If 500$ ps5 at 10-12.3tf
If 500$ andaconda at 10.5-12.75
If 600$ andaconda at 12.5-14.5

I do kinda laugh at people who say ps5 is 100% above 10tf. They say this without knowing if it's 400$ or 500$. They say this without knowing if any significant architecture gains that Could result in higher performances at lower TF's like Nvidia.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
You know I would absolutely love it if Lockhart was basically a more powerful Xbox One X that could run next gen games, but with all the X enhanced features, for $300. I would be all over that in a heart beat. $349 would still have me given I already have a small but sizeable amount of Xbox One games.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to see we're back to the absolutely ridiculous 8TF rumor. Thanks, Albert "There is no way we're giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony" Panello ;)

I feel it's pretty likely all these MS insiders have been caught out believing the early Gonzalo clocks where the GPU only ran at 1Ghz were the final targets for PS5. They're all pretty cocky about repeating those figures and telling everyone Anaconda will surely be faster. Sucks for them that the most recent version of Gonzalo reportedly runs the GPU at 1.8Ghz representing the actual, final target.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 above 10TF is mostly based on the GPU running at around 1800MHz.
It's unprecedented in any console so far.

Xbox One X at 1172 MHz is the highest ever so far by a huge margin.
And that console came out when Desktop GPUs were 2000MHz already.

So if anything, I would rather laught at people who are on the "100% above 10TF" train.

There are no consoles with 7nm gpu in them .
That is the whole point of a die shrink .
Okay let do some simple math with a die shrink PS4 pro is 2.2 times PS4 which give us 4.2TF .
Even if they don't do anything and just do what they did with PS4 to Pro you still looking at around 8.5 TF at the same clocks .
So no it will be more than 8TF thanks to a new die shrink and what ever else they doing .

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
if the 4TF and 8TF are legit, the 4TF at 1080p and 8TF at 4K, the 4TF will have much room to add much more, in effects, the 8TF will have resolution.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if the 4TF and 8TF are legit, the 4TF at 1080p and 8TF at 4K, the 4TF will have much room to add much more, in effects, the 8TF will have resolution.
thats why I dont belive it. a rx 580 is 6 tfps and thats on 14nm, no way you get a gpu less than 6, unless you are trading space on the chip for something else. while I wish ms would go that deep in to RT, I cant see them giving up THAT much chip space for it.

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Anyone want to enlighten us on the release schedule of the PS4 and X1 dev kits and their power/specs relative to each other and relative to their final form. Do we have a historical precedent for comparing them to each other and to their final specs???

Something to frame our current dev kit comparison leaks with.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone guessing 10tf or less for ps5 and Anaconda have grossly low expectations.

I expect in the coming months these views will change like they did for HBM.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay let do some simple math with a die shrink PS4 pro is 2.2 times PS4 which give us 4.2TF .
Even if they don't do anything and just do what they did with PS4 to Pro you still looking at around 8.5 TF at the same clocks .
So no it will be more than 8TF thanks to a new die shrink and what ever else they doing .

Cool, so all they need is 72 compute units and they're good to go, huh?

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
I feel it's pretty likely all these MS insiders have been caught out believing the early Gonzalo clocks where the GPU only ran at 1Ghz were the final targets for PS5. They're all pretty cocky about repeating those figures and telling everyone Anaconda will surely be faster. Sucks for them that the most recent version of Gonzalo reportedly runs the GPU at 1.8Ghz representing the actual, final target.
All the 8TF PS5 talk started with Gonzalo having 1Ghz gpu clock. Maybe 1Ghz clocks is the low speed devkit version that Cerny used to demo spiderman for the wired interview.

But we know that in april, the Gonzalo went from Engineering Sample to Qualification Sample (final version) and the gpu clock speed increased significantly to 1.8 Ghz. So it's safe to say that PS5 with 1.8Ghz will easily be more than 8TF.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Random question: Regarding Minecraft if Sony had decided to keep up to date with all the other platforms, would Sony have had to send Microsoft a PS5 devkit at some point?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it'll be

8 vs 12 tflops
24 vs 32 gb of ram

That's my guess

People worried about Lockhart holding back next gen but if this were true (I reaaaaaly doubt it FYI) the ps5 would be the 3rd party base console opening the possibility of lackluster "upscaled" ports to anaconda. Please no.

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Random question: Regarding Minecraft if Sony had decided to keep up to date with all the other platforms, would Sony have had to send Microsoft a PS5 devkit at some point?

Well to Mojang specifically but I'm sure there would be some heavy restrictions on who gets to see documentation and such.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Probably around the time that MS start manufacturing consumer units.

(although they could ship them an underclocked version earlier, specifically to fuck with their heads)

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, if I were in Sony's shoes I dunno if I could take that risk.

If they want Minecraft on the platform for their users that still play it and want to make sure things move forward and are going to be ok with crossplay, it'll happen AFTER the PS5 has been fully revealed/launched.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
No, but consoles in 28nm and 16nm.
And both times they were notably below the desktop equivalent in frequency.

Efficiency sweat spot is also much more important in a console environment. Not even talking about hard limits like TDP, power consumption and price.

Also i don't refute that Ps5 will be 8TF.
I refute the console will be at least 10TF+ 100% certain.

No console will have 32GB Ram. And no console will run at 1800MHz GPU clocks.
Xbox One X running at 1800MHz would be 9.2TFlops just for comparison.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i think my range of expected TF would be 8-12 for next gen, but certainly not 8 AND 12. can you imgine if we get lockheart at 4, ps5 at 8, and anaconda at 12? bizarro world.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
No, but consoles in 28nm and 16nm.
And both times they were notably below the desktop equivalent in frequency.

Efficiency sweat spot is also much more important in a console environment. Not even talking about hard limits like TDP, power consumption and price.

Also i don't refute that Ps5 will be 8TF.
I refute the console will be at least 10TF+ 100% certain.

No console will have 32GB Ram. And no console will run at 1800MHz GPU clocks.
Xbox One X running at 1800MHz would be 9.2TFlops just for comparison.

Arrgh!!... too many absolutes.

Only the sith deal in absolutes.

Oct 25, 2017

It is a reference to something said back on neogaf during the next-gen hysteria leading up to the release of the X1/PS4.

I'm not dismissing raw performance. I'm stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API's that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don't know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we're giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it's been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I'm not saying they haven't built a good system – I'm merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I just received an image of what will probably be the PS5 GPU:

51naoMYuVYL._SX425_.jpg

It seems to confirm that Mark Cerny lied about the console would support Ray Tracing.

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it'll be

8 vs 12 tflops
24 vs 32 gb of ram

That's my guess
Even behind closed doors, thats too low a count of TF for Sony. I mean, i expect a certain level of hubris has set in at Sony, but not that much. They are too savvy for that.
Cant see either of the new consoles having more than 16gb of ram.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
If 300 I'm guessing Lockhart is 4.5-6.5 tf
If 400$ I'm guessing ps4 to be 8-10tf
If 500$ ps5 at 10-12.3tf
If 500$ andaconda at 10.5-12.75
If 600$ andaconda at 12.5-14.5

I do kinda laugh at people who say ps5 is 100% above 10tf. They say this without knowing if it's 400$ or 500$. They say this without knowing if any significant architecture gains that Could result in higher performances at lower TF's like Nvidia.
Sony can subsidize though. Wouldn't be the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.