• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Both MS and Sony could. Sony has had experience in the field.

MS would probably be able to do it considering their ability to hire engineering talent is 2nd to none (plus they just print money), but their market position in a lot of fields makes them more of a steward so they'd typically opt against rocking the boat

I'd say we'd have to see what modifications exist for the console variants. Consoles and PCs are different beasts.

Maybe one day they could pull it off.
Is there any known engineering people working on their next console?

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
So everyone is sad because of a speculation video with unconfirmed sources, lol. Let's just wait till we get some concrete info before we start panicking

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Even if AdoredTv rumor is true and Navi is a power hungry card, PS5/Anaconda will likely be above/around 8TF combined with much faster SSD, 8 core Zen 2 CPU and increased amount of faster RAM, should give us significant upgrade over current gen base consoles.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Even though I've speculated about it before, what do you guys think are the chances that Microsoft is not using Navi for the Xbox Scarlett family of consoles but AMD's Next Gen architecture, or something that's almost the same. Not unlike how Xbox 360's GPU in 2005 was much more forward-looking than any of ATI's 2005 or 2006 PC GPUs (R520 and R580) with the unified shader architecture in Xbox 360's Xenos GPU, which wasn't in ATI PC GPUs until May 2007 (R600 / Radeon 2

If Navi was originally meant to be a 2018 part, is now only coming in Q3 2019 for PC, and Xbox Scarlett consoles aren't due until Fall 2020.

The rumors are Anaconda will not only be more powerful than PS5, but "more advanced" as well. It makes me think only the GPU could be more advanced, since both Sony and Microsoft are probably using the same CPU architecture (Zen 2).

Anything's possible, but what do we know about the post-Navi architecture? Was a timetable ever provided?

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didnt worry before but after watching the vid I think Sony made a bad choice. MS (no leaks or talks about Navi on MS side) choose something different and can offer a more powerful and adavanced console.

Exciting times ahead.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Oh hell yeah, I know next gen won't disappoint. I'm just trying to form a narrative that fits all the info we have and the rumors of Sony working with AMD on Navi (meaning possible exclusive), no sources really mentioning MS using Navi yet, and MS apparently being confident they could be a "performance leader". If they're using a custom Vega and at some point got wind of issues with Navi maybe that would have caused them to become more confident in their own plans which is where we get the "performance leader" talk from. And yeah, I know Phil's talk about benchmarks came before the Navi issues, but I still disregard that as PR talk.

Just trying to see if this narrative makes logical sense and ticks all the boxes for all the info we have so far.
That some people on this forum followed or supported this narrative about Navi you mentioned doesn't make it entirely true. Don't exhaust yourself to find an explanation for something we have contrary information about anyway.

Feb 10, 2018
Sometimes it's best just to forget about all rumours and just think logically.
Colberts predictions are the most realistic imo.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Anything's possible, but what do we know about the post-Navi architecture? Was a timetable ever provided?

Like any AMD roadmap slide, it's highly volatile and likely moving but:

images

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any possibility next-gen entirely delayed to 2021?
doubt it, atleast if some are right and ms is using vega, but if this leak is true, what does a year get you? there seem to be real issues with navi. also what does that mean for games like cyberpunk which seem to be on track for next year. cdproject has said it will be on ps4/bx1, but I cant see it running well at all.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in major legitimate info withdrawal, the wired info was some guuuuuud shit

Agreed. After months, even years of speculation it felt refreshing to get a taste of real info. But now time has passed and I need my fix again!

Here's hoping that between Sony's investor info thing, Computex and E3 we'll get enough to keep us satisfied :)

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Shame MS and Sony can't hold out for the next gen architecture but I understand why they want to release next year and not 2022. I'm sure gamers will still be happy with both consoles. Some were initially disappointed with the PS4 but that system has pumped out some gorgeous titles.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Agreed. After months, even years of speculation it felt refreshing to get a taste of real info. But now time has passed and I need my fix again!

Here's hoping that between Sony's investor info thing, Computex and E3 we'll get enough to keep us satisfied :)
I think we should move our focus on what "secret sauce" the PS5 could have. Any ideas other than RT?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously we don't know for sure what Microsoft is doing, but IF this latest Navi stuff is true then (1) it could explain why Cerny decided to call the hard drive the "true game changer" for the PS5 and (2) Microsoft may be more equipped to better deal with the power and thermal constraints based on their engineering work with the Xbox One X. Interesting times ahead...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Any possibility next-gen entirely delayed to 2021?

Unlikely, and really we're not at that point in the rumors where we should hope that it is delayed. Even if all the info in the Adored video is true, the issues experienced in this pre-launch 2019 Navi silicon might get ironed out and won't be a concern in 2020 next-gen console silicon. The apparent fact that the very early silicon from last year supposedly performed very well still gives me hope that if there are issues now that they can sort them out.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The guy from the video says to take the info with a huge grain of salt: "don't believe anything Q3 is just around the corner anyway". Something like that.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
Next-gen is now cancelled thanks to Navi. I apologize in behalf of my friends Mark and Phil guys.

Now DM me your leaks as you will not need them anymore.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think we should move our focus on what "secret sauce" the PS5 could have. Any ideas other than RT?

Let's see... something other than RT... maybe next gen consoles could... have... a cup holder? :)

I wish I knew enough to provide worthwhile speculation on what else the secret sauce could be. Hope someone else can :)

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018

Perhaps the GPU decompression hmqgg posted about?

At first, I thought this "secret sauce" comment shouldn't be taken that seriously but she's mentioned it a few times now so it's gotta be something that was probably not talked about in the wired article

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
doubt it, atleast if some are right and ms is using vega, but if this leak is true, what does a year get you? there seem to be real issues with navi. also what does that mean for games like cyberpunk which seem to be on track for next year. cdproject has said it will be on ps4/bx1, but I cant see it running well at all.
U say they will use Vega like it's a good thing .Vega is an average performing gpu with a very high power draw.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WOW!! This thread went nuts in the last hour or so, the TF cycle continues. I however still believe that the PS5 will be over 11TF, especially with Stadia being 10.7 TF. A dedicated box has to be more powerful than a streaming system

Funny enough I came into this thread originally to see if anyone was talking about this: https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/navi-sony-ps5-hardware-exclusivity article.
It was just speculation based on the author's part, but It seems more plausible considering that video.

My guess is that MS is helping AMD so they can not only have more advanced tech for the next Xbox, but also so they can use this new tech at a lower cost. That way MS can use the less expensive AMD hardware for their Surface lineup so they no longer have to rely on Intel with their more expensive CPUs and their under-powered GPUs. They might even use the new hardware in their Azure servers as well.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

At first, I thought this "secret sauce" comment shouldn't be taken that seriously but she's mentioned it a few times now so it's gotta be something that was probably not talked about in the wired article

I don't believe GPU decompression is going to be limited to just the PS5 considering who it was that brought it up. It seems like both companies will be utilizing it to speed up loads.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

At first, I thought this "secret sauce" comment shouldn't be taking that seriously but she's mentioned it a few times now so it's gotta be something that was probably not talked about in the wired article
But thats MS/Xbox secret sauce, isn't it?

Maybe Sony is doing something special for Checkerboard Rendering again. The last pages before the AdoredTV video popped up it was quite a popular topic.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
WOW!! This thread went nuts in the last hour or so, the TF cycle continues. I however still believe that the PS5 will be over 11TF, especially with Stadia being 10.7 TF. A dedicated box has to be more powerful than a streaming system

Funny enough I came into this thread originally to see if anyone was talking about this: https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/navi-sony-ps5-hardware-exclusivity article.
It was just speculation based on the author's part, but It seems more plausible considering that video.

My guess is that MS is helping AMD so they can not only have more advanced tech for the next Xbox, but also so they can use this new tech at a lower cost. That way MS can use the less expensive AMD hardware for their Surface lineup so they no longer have to rely on Intel with their more expensive CPUs and their under-powered GPUs. They might even use the new hardware in their Azure servers as well.
I can't speak to content, but that is a disgustingly written article. Through and through, just unpleasant. Not sure.. why..exactly? But it is. Probably. IMO. But definitely.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Good bit of reasoning that if it's secret sauce that it'd be something not talked about yet... unless it's hardware RT of course.

Well let's think for a moment, IF Sony did work very closely with AMD on Navi then what type of features would Sony have been likely to want in their next gen console. SSD integration, super fast RAM, a quality CPU, 3D audio chip... what else is there?

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

a streaming system that is using descret gpu and cpus, instead of apus.

Status
Not open for further replies.