• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize why iam singling out epic with respect to data collection no? It may not be a big deal with other companies but with epic's shady way of data collection and again, why are you assuming that i and quite a few others in this very thread knew that EOS was being used prior to me posting about it?

Their point is that you are basically saying you have a problem with Epic, which I think everyone would agree is fine, but you are trying to use industry standard practices as some kind of smoking gun. Someone peeked behind the curtain of your average game in 2021, was shocked by what they saw and decided to write an user review attempting to expose what they thought would be a huge revelation of some sort. There's literally nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Sounds like someone who is upset this game is always online and you are using a small snippet to make it seem Epic has spyware.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Their point is that you are basically saying you have a problem with Epic, which is I think everyone would agree is fine, but you are trying to use industry standard practices as some kind of smoking gun. Someone peeked behind the curtain of your average game in 2021, was shocked by what they saw and decided to write an user review attempting to expose what they thought would be a huge revelation of some sort. There's literally nothing to see here.
If i knew that this game was using EOS in the first place, i probably wouldn't bother making this thread in the first place because like you said it would mean that it was just an industry standard practice which i have stated in quite a few replies already, is something not one me but quite a few others were unaware of but despite that some here keep saying the same stuff and not bothering to read it.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey AshenOne, as the biggest question of this thread is answered, wouldn't it be a good idea to update the OP with a clarification that it's just EOS?

empo

Jan 27, 2018
where do I send a request to get my cheque for every kilobyte game companies have stolen from me?

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I frankly don't believe the Epic thing just yet given biases.

EDIT: Yep. There it is.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I was also just thinking telemetry which pretty much all company provided software has. Just so people understand, games utilize a certain companies servers for online features and this one used EoS. Other games could be using something like MS's Azure recognized as Azure Playfab if you're snooping connections. Basically in a digital age, don't be surprised an app is trying to connect to company ___, this is how they grow and make money.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Are there any other games that have similar behavior that were previously exclusives? Or on the flip side, are there any games that eventually released on EGS that send data back to Steam?

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
That's the only reason this happens in any game that does this. A whole lot of fear mongering over nothing.
There's no fear mongering. There's reason to suspect them if we hadn't known it was for EoS. Are you even aware what sort of methods epic used to use to gather data of STEAM users? Just straight up dismissing stuff like that doesn't help the discussion.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
There's no fear mongering. There's reason to suspect them if we hadn't known it was for EoS. Are you even aware what sort of methods epic used to use to gather data of STEAM users? Just straight up dismissing stuff like that doesn't help the discussion.
You made a post without having all of the info. If you had info that this was bad for the end user and not standard then go ahead. As it stands all you did was post data you didn't understand.
Epic was caught scraping Steam data from your computer without user consent before. They have precedent.

Epic in hot water over Steam-scraping code – Naked Security (sophos.com)
Read the article you posted. There's nothing malicious there and Epic immediately responded saying they were fixing the problem. I'm all for posting stuff like this when data is being collected in a malicious way but posting false alarm stuff with data you don't understand like what this thread is, is just plain fear mongering.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
You made a post without having all of the info. If you had info that this was bad for the end user and not standard then go ahead. As it stands all you did was post data you didn't understand.
I made the thread with all the information about this certain matter with respect to what the user talked about and termed it as a rumor that cannot be authenticated by the average person or by me because i don't understand it well enough. It was posted for discussion for the people who do actually understand this sort of stuff or know about the situation better than me and they did later tell that its due to Epic Online Services which explains why its sending data to epic too other than the usual feedback data that goes to the devs. At a glance it was suspicious enough so i posted it here so it could get more attention.

Last edited:

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I made the thread with all the information about this certain matter with respect to what the user talked about and termed it as a rumor that cannot be authenticated by the average person or by me because i don't understand it well enough. It was posted for discussion for the people who do actually understand this sort of stuff or know about the situation better than me and they did later tell that its due to Epic Online Services which explains why its sending data to epic too other than the usual feedback data that goes to the devs. At a glance it was suspicious enough so i posted it here so it could get more attention.

I think what you need to ask yourself going forward is why you took the information you found entirely at face value and didn't bother to google if the game uses any epic services whatsoever. It took less than a minute for me to find it.

It's apparent you don't like Epic and that's fine, but don't fall into the trap of not doing your due diligence when you're going to signal boost information you don't understand.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I think what you need to ask yourself going forward is why you took the information you found entirely at face value and didn't bother to google if the game uses any epic services whatsoever. It took less than a minute for me to find it.

It's apparent you don't like Epic and that's fine, but don't fall into the trap of not doing your due diligence when you're going to signal boost information you don't understand.
Funny thing is i did do a 'quick google' to see what it might be or after i posted the thread when people started saying that it might or it DOES use EOS or Epic online services and........ i couldn't find anything until i googled it again and had to use the PCgaming wikia linked way below the other results to find that it supported epic online services for MP, mentioned somewhere in the details. Surprisingly there's barely information about it on google believe it or not.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It's EOSSDK, but doesn't GDPR require asking agreement to user data collection? Which means they are still potentially breaking law.
(Epics developer agreement requires this, so at least breaking that)

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's EOSSDK, but doesn't GDPR require asking agreement to user data collection? Which means they are still potentially breaking law.
(Epics developer agreement requires this, so at least breaking that)

I would have thought that would have been caught as something bad already if it actually was. I feel like a lot of things probably do something similar without agreements, but I dunno.