Burli

Nov 7, 2017
'You're dreaming mate'. Would love to see more of this. American's would have benefitted hugely if they had interviewers with this ability during Trump's reign.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is how you do it. This is how journalists should be trained in university.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
In the US, if republicans take a beating the media will let them on to distance themselves from Trump, pretend to turn a new leaf, and promise to appeal more to minorities. Then within a few months all of that TV time will be given to whoever starts Teaparty 2 before we all wonder why Democrats lose the house in 2022.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
She has sadly received death and rape threats, and has been doxed in the past too due to her no nonsense style of reporting, but she keeps going. She is amazing

O'Brien says the abuse is not new. When covering politics prior to becoming European correspondent someone posted her address online and encouraged others to find her, rape her, and beat her. People made death threats. She contacted police.

Stuff

She's also won awards - https://voyagermediaawards.nz/news/...r-top-journalists-at-voyager-media-awardsnbsp

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Let's give her some actual credit then, I don't see her name anywhere in the OP or the quoted Tweet.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The way Tova O'Brien handled this guy is how the GOP should be publicly handled by the media and our representatives in the U.S. Just excellent.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Tova seems brilliant in this, very good of her to hold him to account with who he willingly associated with. He clearly had no shame however, and will try to be back before too long.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Haha I thought she started the video off calling someone a dick head.

Edit: Just finished. That was entertaining.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Not everyone is a fan apparently. Loads of criticisms and from people I know deems her excessive.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
In the US, if republicans take a beating the media will let them on to distance themselves from Trump, pretend to turn a new leaf, and promise to appeal more to minorities. Then within a few months all of that TV time will be given to whoever starts Teaparty 2 before we all wonder why Democrats lose the house in 2022.

I mean the media were salivating over a possible Trump redemption arc when he wasnt posting as aggressively when he first got COVID. There is no integrity in the larger media outlets in the US. They cannot see beyond each moment as everything is just reactionary.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
is NZ one of the last bastions of this? We have so many journos here in the states failing hard af. Those that go viral on "takedowns" then have the guest come back over and over are weak a hell

crazy monkey

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
She can rip him apart because he lost and at least has some conscience. It does not work when you they are winning and have no conscience.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
She can rip him apart because he lost and at least has some conscience. It does not work when you they are winning and have no conscience.
Yeah I was going to say, he was way too "polite" and basically let her control the energy without any pushback. American right wing nuts aren't like that.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Damn, she's ruthless. Love it.
Yeah I was going to say, he was way too "polite" and basically let her control the energy without any pushback. American right wing nuts aren't like that.
But yeah, this is true. US right-wingers would constantly interrupt her, call her a nasty woman, tone-police her constantly, etc.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Ohgodpleaseplease I want to see Trump ripped apart like this. Pleaseeeee
I want the republicans to all turn on him, and then Fox News, and finally even the maniacs at Oann etc. When he is useless to them, I hope and pray that they will turn on him and rip him apart. A ghoul torn asunder by his fellow ghouls.

Also, on topic, she is fucking awesome and that was pure slaughter on cam.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
FF68dGG.gif

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
The panel during the election on Saturday night were already roasting Advance NZ pretty hard when they didn't get any seats. I like that their crazy positions are considered completely loony, instead of being catered to like in some other countries (republicans and Trump peddle a lot of the same bullshit).

Oct 27, 2017
It's because rich people play for both sides: they like socially liberal stuff because they are generally worldly/cultured; but they need someone to check the progressives so taxes stay low and we continue to widdle away any remnants of a welfare state that benefits workers and the poor.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
That was great and ideally we'd be seeing that in north american news. But the right wing movement here is far stronger supported, they absolutely dont wait their turn to speak, and some fraudulent sense of "decorum" is to be maintained by journalists lest they be considered "nasty"

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, she's ruthless. Love it.

But yeah, this is true. US right-wingers would constantly interrupt her, call her a nasty woman, tone-police her constantly, etc.
Should handle it like people want the debates to be handled, mute their mics. Mute the mic and tell the Right-wing pundits, "We are going to try this again. Every time you try to overspeak or take control of the conversation, you are getting mute. Remember, you are not the one asking questions, I AM! If you show disrespect to our viewers, we will cut this segment short and we will NOT have you on again."

We need more "no fucks given" type of journalists that call these lying fuckers out and don't coddle them with kid gloves. If that means blacklisting certain political loonies, do it. No more bullshit, no more "both sides". The saying is you can lure more flies with honey than vinegar, but why the FUCK do you want to lure flies? Flies are gross, dirty pests, JUST LIKE lying, corrupt Right-wing politicians.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Yup.

That's what happened when Mitt Romney lost to Obama, they had fake pitty on their party or whatever saying they needed to reach out to more minorities yet they ended up nominating Trump the first they got a wiff of a reckless leader who likely was the one to win vs having a sane leader who could "win over and be willing to work with more people".

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
To give some context, Jami lee Ross was kicked out of his own party for all sorts of mixed up shit, then hitched his star to
a far right anti mask anti lockdown party that was peddling all kinds of conspiracy stuff, and the other leader is also in the shit now for
messing with party donations or something?

I met Jami once and he seemed like a shitbag then too.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
As others have said, I don't think this would have worked with some other politicians. He waited his turn to speak, didn't get antagonistic towards her, and largely just pedaled some rehearsed answers, but otherwise didn't make an obnoxious fool of himself the way Cruz, Trump, or a lot of other US politicians would. The moment she said it was likely the last time he'd be asked on the show, any one of those aforementioned guys would have talked ceaselessly over her, taken off their microphone, and left.

Don't get me wrong, we need more people like her in the media, though - even if it leads to fewer people being willing to come on to their shows. I just don't know that other politicians would have handled themselves the way this guy did in light of her grilling.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
So, here's the thing, journalists like this will never have a chance to do this in the US or UK because they're afraid of being blacklisted and probably forced out.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I mostly enjoyed it. Great job of pushing back, fact correcting, making him answer questions and not talk around them.

I do think she strays slightly into editorializing at times here (the we know what you were doing stuff. If you already know what he was doing, why are you asking about it? You may have a strong opinion about that, and don't get me wrong, I'm sure she's right, but that doesn't help), which as a former journalist made me cringe slightly. Not only is that not the media's place, it in the long run does a fair bit of harm because people actually have evidence of bias and just tune you out. Still, she's a lot closer to where journalists need to be than most US media are.