• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
His thing is to shit on NYC and NYS literally every chance he gets. All possible opportunities. Caught a ban during the pandemic peak for sarcastically feigning surprise that such a filthy city would be ravaged by a pandemic.
Haha this is so true. Literally every opportunity. Not even hating, it's a unique thing to be known for

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought you used to live in NYC? NYC's Dept of Ed is a singular department, but there are many school districts in each borough, and the relative quality of the schools in each district are "coincidentally" roughly correlated to the demographics of the neighborhood that district serves.
Since Bloomie former school districts have been unified into a singular district under mayoral control with a singular chancellor. When registering for elementary school or applying for 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice JHS or HS, the district terminology has been replaced with "zoned school." School zones are strictly used to define what school someone in the area will attend. It does not have any effect on that school's funding.

The tax base is singular, but the quality of the facilities and the funding each school receives also is roughly correlated to the demographics of that neighborhood. Again - and you would know this if you lived, or have ever lived here - there is no secret that the quality of schools in Forest Hills are going to be better than the quality of schools in Mott Haven. It's up to you to guess why that is.
Outside of specific project grants "SAMS," and PTA funds, the funding for individual schools in NYC is entirely derived from the FSF formula. The FSF provides funding to individual schools based on the following:
  • Number of children in the school.
  • + Monies for children on a IEP (Individual Education Plan)
  • + Monies for children in ESL.
Contrary to your statement, based on correlation schools that are more white followed by more asian get less funding per student than more black and latino schools.

My son when to JHS 190 - It was shit.
I'm also not saying your district in your new location isn't unionized or public or anything else. I am saying, however, that it's unlikely that whereever you are, your public school system serves 1 million kids. I'm also imagining the demography of whereever you are likely facilitates a more equitable distribution of the taxes/funding of your less extended, less population-rich school system.
This is a constant excuse about NYC and its generally poor level of service. Per capita spending adjusts for this, unless you do not believe that is a valid data point.
Finally, I'm not even saying that the schools need more or less funding. What I'm saying is that most people who criticize the system tends to talk about how much money it costs or provides disingenuous/irrelevant reasons for why it costs so much (simultaneously ignoring the sheer volume of people it must serve), but not the other issues that preclude even the legit non-"it's too expensive" problems that are worth talking about.
Once again per capita data should adjust for this.
How can we talk about student success if there's no fair comparison between John Adams High School in Queens and Cardozo High School (also in Queens)? Explain to me why those schools are located in the same borough, but differ so wildly in services rendered/service quality for students? Both of these schools are in residential nabes with home owners primarily...but only the demographics served are different. If the tax base is similar, certainly both schools should be of similar quality (and we could just criticize the students or teachers purely for any lack of success at one of them), right?
I explained above what the funding formula is for the (single) NYC school district to the individual schools. Both those schools you mentioned are entirely funded from the same NYC general revenue fund, funneled through the singular NYC school district and distributed to the individual schools based upon the FSF formula. The school zones (what was a district prior to Bloomberg) do not have the ability to independently raise funds based upon the people who live in their area. They have the same, unified, tax base.

John Adams High School Gets around $19k per student in annual funding.
Cardozo Gets around $15k per student in annual funding.
East NY gets around $25k per student.
Edit: Jesus the city spends $100k per year per special ed student on top of the typical per student expense. There is a serious argument that the child would be better off at that point just receiving a $1.3 million trust.

Anyway at $25k per student (district wide), the students are effective receiving $negative value worth of education at the moment given how badly the city has not been able to provide remote learning. All this despite the largest per student spending on a child than anywhere else on the planet.

Last edited:

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Schools still do not appear to be a possible significant source of transmission. I wonder who is pushing for this. Is it BDB trying to look competent? Is it the Union?

Last edited:

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Schools still do not appear to be a possible significant source of transmission. I wonder who is pushing for this. Is it BDB trying to look competent? Is it the Union?

It's not the city's health department.

NY Daily News said:
At a press conference earlier in the day, de Blasio himself did not deny that there have been disagreements within his administration over the use of the threshold, but he and his health advisors provided only a vague picture of what has transpired behind the scenes.

The dispute among top advisors raises the question of why the mayor continues to use that threshold, with some observers speculating that the teachers union has lobbied de Blasio to maintain it. The United Federation of Teachers did not immediately return calls.

Neidhardt acknowledged that while the UFT made clear it wanted the strictest threshold possible, he said it did not directly influence the city's decision to choose the 3% threshold.

"There's definitely been some debate, but healthy debate," de Blasio said at a Wednesday press briefing. "You live by a standard, and sometimes, you know, it feels better, and sometimes it feels worse, but it's still a clear standard."

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

every meat head that I see go into the gym here in bay ridge is not wearing a mask. Every hookah place is tinting their windows and pretends they are closed for the night to sneak people in. but Schools are the problem somehow.
what are parents without fancy office jobs supposed to do?

Oct 27, 2017
And he's running again for a 4th term in 2022. New Yorkers are basically stuck with him until he retires.
And probably once he retires it'll be someone he endorse who wins:/
People vote for Cuomo because nobody else runs credibly.

If a viable candidate runs and their argument isn't "fuck Cuomo", "fuck NYC" or "fuck the establishment", they'll have a shot (if they're credibly capable of running in the Democratic Party). Until then, Cuomo is hard to beat...and frankly, people outside of NYC tolerate him because he shits on NYC as a matter of principle.
But here's the rub, no one in the Democratic Party will run against him because of how much power he has. The dem establishment in ny is too damn powerful.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah where I live in Canada, most of the evidence has suggested that schools are a reflection of the broader community rather than a source of outbreaks themselves. And kids under 10 are manifesting illness at quite a bit lower than the average population rate. I'm not sure this is evidence based, even if it appears to make logical sense. Where i live it's people going into each others homes and to restaurants - we just really need to stop doing that for the time being.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
The best thing about this is the fact that there aren't any dumbasses shouting about how the coronavirus was gonna suddenly disappear after the election.

Shout-out to NY from WA. We just went back into Phase 1 too, we feel your pain. Let's just ride this one out, and make it to the other side.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed about the frustration over closing schools while keeping other businesses open. What children, especially small children, lose by closing schools completely is way more significant than what adults/population loses by closing businesses... Especially given that there are tools at our disposal (Despite Republican efforts) to help offset the pain caused by businesses closing, while the social and educational losses by children especially those under 10 you can't offset.

There is this extremist, purist approach to COVID where it's like ... if everybody isn't locked in their houses then they're being irresponsible, and then there is the other extremist approach where it's like... unless everybody is pretending the virus doesn't exist then you're trying to destroy civilization or something. But, in the wide middle there is a growing consensus of both public health experts, scientists, educators, and public officials that there is enhanced risk with schools reopening, but it's a relatively smaller risk, while the social harm caused is relatively much greater than the social harms caused by shutting down other parts of our society. It's frustrating for me, as a parent of a young child and my partner is an educator, when I see this zealous approach from the first group ... because it's usually people I agree with, but I think that you have this like zealous, purist argument that comes from people who are under ~35, who don't have kids, who are like "What don't you understand? School is a privilege for good public health and you've lost the privilege," and they're kind of ignoring the real, long-lasting, generational pain that students are going to suffer for the rest of their lives recognizing that there are increases of risk, and that like .. even mentioning that there is some middle ground between relative health risk and relative societal harm gets you cast as a COVID denier or something (and maybe this is just an internal struggle that I'm having with myself). And then there was that thread a couple weeks ago about how 5 and 6 year olds are reverting to weird behaviors, like forgetting how to use the toilet, and there's this collective aghast of "there's something wrong, that's not normal, what are the parents doing..." and it's like, nah, these kids who are reverting in those ways are experiencing psychological harm and this is how it's manifesting itself. This isn't even really considering other factors outside of socialization, like how cities like mine are 100% free lunch cities ... Every student qualifies for free lunch, and for a huge percentage of children in our city the only balanced meal they get each day is at school, and it's possible to offset some of that with public programs outside of school but when you break that routine you lose a majority of children (Esp like... the busses aren't running).

My wife is a high school English teacher at an at-risk inner city school and our district is completely remote. Her students started this semester pretty eager even with remote learning the first month went really well all things considered, but it's progressively falling apart. She's doing grades last weekend for this semester and she's like ... every single one of my students is failing, but wtf am I supposed to do, I'm not going to flunk them because this situation is impossible for them, but at the same time, the level of engagement in just the last ~6 weeks has fallen off a cliff. My wife is young and very eager to use all sorts of tools and she engages with her students better than most, and it's just falling apart. These are hiigh school kids too, I can only imagine what it's like for their younger brothers and sisters. There was another anecdote I heard on NPR yesterday, where a parent was asking their young children who their classmates are, and... they don't know who they are. Remote learning is so difficult to do, but beyond that, remote socialization ... Like, children meeting other children remotely is even harder. We all remember in school getting broken up into groups and it's always awkward at first nobody wants to be the first one to talk, but then social cues eventually break that barrier down and you start talking to do the assignment. In remote, not only is it technologically difficult to do that (breaking out into small groups while maintaining the overall group is a thing that most remote classroom software doesn't handle well), but even beyond the technological/software design hurdle, is the socialization hurdle ... it's hard talking in a group in person when you can communicate with body language; it's infinitely harder to do that behind a computer screen.

I dunno, it's hard. I don't have a solution.

Last edited:
Update: Public Schools closed through Thanksgiving (going Remote), Indoor Dining & Gyms to be closed soon ("only a matter of time"), Private Schools are still open.
OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
NEW UPDATE:
  • Regarding Gyms & Indoor Dining: "It's just a matter of time, and very likely to be in the next week or two," Mayor Bill de Blasio said of the closures of indoor dining and gyms.
  • New York City's entire public school system is closed for in-person learning through Thanksgiving as coronavirus rates continue to tick upward, and it could be the first domino to fall in a larger rollback of the city's reopening from the first wave of COVID-19.
  • Private schools are not impacted by the city ruling and remain open for in-person instruction.
  • During his daily briefing Wednesday, de Blasio said the positivity rate is "exactly on the nose" of 3% on the seven-day rolling average. Thursday, the 7-day average was 3.01

Nov 13, 2017
NEW UPDATE:
  • Regarding Gyms & Indoor Dining: "It's just a matter of time, and very likely to be in the next week or two," Mayor Bill de Blasio said of the closures of indoor dining and gyms.
  • New York City's entire public school system is closed for in-person learning through Thanksgiving as coronavirus rates continue to tick upward, and it could be the first domino to fall in a larger rollback of the city's reopening from the first wave of COVID-19.
  • Private schools are not impacted by the city ruling and remain open for in-person instruction.
  • During his daily briefing Wednesday, de Blasio said the positivity rate is "exactly on the nose" of 3% on the seven-day rolling average. Thursday, the 7-day average was 3.01
The city needs to offer tax breaks to restaurants that purchase outdoor heaters.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
NEW UPDATE:
And yet my kid's private school just announced they'd be closing.