• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, watching the trailer again, and assume its not cut up, in the very end bit you have both
Jun Gi Han and Kiryu in the same cutscene. So... assuming Kiryu remembers him, hopefully they do actually answer what the heck happened to him. Also, judging by the fact that certain other characters appear to accompany Ichiban in cutscenes, even just the small bit I've seen, I get the feeling you gain at least two more party members throughout the story, at least for part of it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who did all the drone racing in Judge Eyes, trust me we won't know the true extent of Kart racing difficulty until the full game, no way are some of those later courses not gonna be bastards!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Takeshi shot him with new high tech rubber bullets that make it look like someone took an actual headshot
funnily enough Yakuza Online did reference rubber bullets again, and it'd be the perfect explanation, if not for all the blood you know! I can't wait to see them talk their way out of it!

OP
OP
ValKiryuSonicEX

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who did all the drone racing in Judge Eyes, trust me we won't know the true extent of Kart racing difficulty until the full game, no way are some of those later courses not gonna be bastards!

That and Mirror courses.

funnily enough Yakuza Online did reference rubber bullets again, and it'd be the perfect explanation, if not for all the blood you know! I can't wait to see them talk their way out of it!

I would've accepted another twin excuse (enough time has passed since Yakuza 3), but if this the actual Han...I don't know how they can reasonably explain this without going super whacky.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I can honestly believe Ichiban was injured when Arakawa shot him in the intro, bad enough that most of the game is just some sort of brain injury on his part. Because where I'm from, Trash Bags usually don't sprout human appendages and challenge me to fights.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Kiryu? I don't like it after that send off in Y6, but I guess that's just another negative on a long list of things that I'm disliking about this game.

Jul 24, 2018
The inclusion of Kiryu and the loss of the beat 'em up combat is annoying to me. Kiryu should have been replaced as far back as Yakuza 4. Time to move on.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I'm hoping Kiryu's appearance is another fever dream similar to how the battle system is in his head.

The demo impressions give me hope for the game.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Kiryu wouldn't take off his clothes like that unless it's a do or die situation, and that didn't look like one.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing returning faces i really want that cool guy from 6 to return in a bigger capacity. Seeing some of these enemy encounter i can already tell the localized names will be world class.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The turn-based aspect allowing the devs to go wild with wacky stuff is a beautiful thing. This game looks absolutely incredible.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
So much for the Yakuza 6 ending then. Is anyone surprised? No? Me neither.
Judgment is in canon with Yakuza and continued a few sub-plots so I expect a certain detective to show up too. The switch to JRPG is welcomed by me btw.

Let´s try the demo then. Making an Asian account, i had once since the start, takes like 3 minutes so make one today Era.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else find this? You can't interact, but it looks interesting-

yakuza_7.jpg

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I made up a map legend for anyone else who doesn't know Japanese (or just doesn't know where stuff is). If I missed something, let me know and I'll add it.

yakuza_7_demo_map.jpg

Last edited:

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Playing the demo now and I already really like it after the first battle. This is exactly what I needed from the series to get me back in after not enjoying the combat as much after 4 and the little bit I played in 0.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Played it, loved it. They seem a bit generous with the EXP, so I question if the final version will be like this. Wasn't able to get the garbage enemy to appear. Everyone's unique class seems better than the extra classes.They just seem worse at everything except maybe getting some mana back. Some moves don't seem balanced. For example the head butt move for Ichiban costs 15 but does something like 150-160 damage. Meanwhile the woman's special moves at the same cost only does about 80. In fact, the woman's first two special moves seem to do about the same amounr of damage despite one costing near twice as much. I thought the star stat was special power, but she's still weaker. Did all the sidequests, and they're exactly what you'd expect from this series. The go karts feel a bit off, which is weird because the garbage bike feels fine.

Some questions

Does anyone know what the assassin class is supposed to be good for?
What are the stats, specifically the heart, star, and the hand stat?
What are Ichiban's colored stat (brain, heat, etc)?
There's a woman by the karaoke bar who charges you 10k for something. I think it full heals you and levels up your heat stat. Any idea what this is about?
I can't sell my old equipment at the pawn shop. Not just the starting equipment, most equipment. Any idea why?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

English translation of the newest trailer. Must have rewatched the thing several times now... really can't wait to get my hands on this game in January!

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
So much for the Yakuza 6 ending then. Is anyone surprised? No? Me neither.
Judgment is in canon with Yakuza and continued a few sub-plots so I expect a certain detective to show up too. The switch to JRPG is welcomed by me btw.

Let´s try the demo then. Making an Asian account, i had once since the start, takes like 3 minutes so make one today Era.
The English Translation makes me think Kiryu is not really there as he goes saying he's the guardian of the treasure

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Do I need to play the others to play this one?
Maybe. Its 90% a fresh start - new cast, new city, new gameplay style. However there are two characters in the game that have been in previous games. One from Yakuza 6, and... well Kiryu's been in them all. Nothing is known about why either of them are here though, and that's what has me most intrigued. So chances are unless the end game gets wild you'll be able to play the game without needing to play through all 7 previous mainline games before playing this.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe. Its 90% a fresh start - new cast, new city, new gameplay style. However there are two characters in the game that have been in previous games. One from Yakuza 6, and... well Kiryu's been in them all. Nothing is known about why either of them are here though, and that's what has me most intrigued. So chances are unless the end game gets wild you'll be able to play the game without needing to play through all 7 previous mainline games before playing this.
Thing is I only played 0 so I have a looooot of Yakuza games to get through. Not a bad thing as I love these games but it's gonna take a while

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is I only played 0 so I have a looooot of Yakuza games to get through. Not a bad thing as I love these games but it's gonna take a while
My advice would just be to don't rush. NO need to get all the games played any time soon, they are better savoured and slowly played as opposed to rushed through. Yakuza 5's remaster replay took me 152 hours over several months this year. Slowing it down, playing a bit every week was better than hammering the game. The games are very similar in execution, not to mention Kamurocho being present in every game so you'll definitely feel the repetition sooner or later if you rush through the games one after another in the lead up to 7's release.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed that enemies give you items whose icon is similar to this places map icon. Maybe there's some kind of pokemon system with the enemies?
I noticed that too. This room is probably something from the main game that they didn't close off for the demo (unless there's some obscure secret quest, it's weird that the guy in the lab coat isn't there from the start).

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't like the series' tendency to repeat familiar tropes. The dynamic of the two main characters from this new trailer is already reminding me of Kiwami.

Of course, there's also bound to be an underground informant in charge of city wide surveillance systems and a mysterious hired assassin who only appears in two fights... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like the series' tendency to repeat familiar tropes. The dynamic of the two main characters from this new trailer is already reminding me of Kiwami.

Of course, there's also bound to be an underground informant in charge of city wide surveillance systems and a mysterious hired assassin who only appears in two fights... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aoki and Nishiki are nothing alike but ok... I mean:
Nishiki was: Kiryu's best friend, fellow Tojo Clan member and was always living in Kiryu's shadow. He wanted to be the man Kiryu was, and after tragic events unfolded he finally snapped and ruthlessly rose to prominence in the Tojo Clan. Attacking even his old friends/family (ok, that I see happening) as he tried to gain control of the Tojo Clan. I forget if he worked with the Omi in 1 loosely or not, at least that's where he got the info about the Tojo's money getting stolen.

Aoki is: weak, dying at the beginning of the game. He has a disease where he can barely stand. He's so weak that he has to rely on Ichiban (who basically acts as his carer). He doesn't like Ichiban what so ever. He hates Yakuza, wants to stamp them out, and enters a world of politics to try and do so. That said, the Omi seem to be working with him on the whole "Bleach Japan" project which has me questioning if he hates Yakuza, or the Tojo Clan/his father. I see one of several plot twists happening depending on where they choose to take the plot (which basically involves someone backstabbing someone else).

Then there's the whole dynamic of Aoki having "everything" while Ichiban has nothing. As Masato, he had a father with money and status (though granted, he was part of a smaller Tojo family back in the day) while Ichiban was basically penniless, useless at his job as a Yakuza and was a glorified nanny. After he kills the Yakuza he gets away free (it seems) while Ichiban is fooled into taking the wrap for the crime oh so willingly. And as Aoki he has power, regained strength/health (its a drug involved, if I understand correct, and I can't rule out a Judge Eyes style twist o that one at least) and status. Ichiban... gets shot and tossed into the trash and has to work his way up from nothing.
Only thing similar is that Ichiban and Kiryu were both Yakuza and took a wrap for a crime they didn't commit - and even then you had Ichiban who gets beaten the crap out of in prison, Kiryu gets attacked once and then left alone as he'd destroy any idiot stupid enough to attack him with a kitchen utensile. Ichiban is shot and thrown in the trash after he's released, seemingly no one waiting for him (not even his aniki Mitsuo) while Kiryu was kicked out of the clan and still had the red carpet rolled out for him - Kazama, Shinji were still on his side and he was still revered within the city. If anything, its polar opposites for Kiryu and Ichiban (which is fair, even their suit colour schemes are directly inverted of each other - grey with red shirt for Kiryu, red with grey shirt for Ichiban) while Masato/Aoki is not really like Nishiki at all aside from the murder.

That said, there's still tons about the story that is unknown, subject to change, and twists that could totally bring things back round to familiar tropes. I just don't quite see that yet.
Oh, and one big difference in character (predicated on the gameplay change for both Online and 7) - Ichiban is weaker (way weaker) and requires a team to defeat foes Kiryu would push over with his menacing aura. Again, its the case of the legendary Dragon of Dojima vs. a nobody.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Aoki and Nishiki are nothing alike but ok... I mean:
Nishiki was: Kiryu's best friend, fellow Tojo Clan member and was always living in Kiryu's shadow. He wanted to be the man Kiryu was, and after tragic events unfolded he finally snapped and ruthlessly rose to prominence in the Tojo Clan. Attacking even his old friends/family (ok, that I see happening) as he tried to gain control of the Tojo Clan. I forget if he worked with the Omi in 1 loosely or not, at least that's where he got the info about the Tojo's money getting stolen.

Aoki is: weak, dying at the beginning of the game. He has a disease where he can barely stand. He's so weak that he has to rely on Ichiban (who basically acts as his carer). He doesn't like Ichiban what so ever. He hates Yakuza, wants to stamp them out, and enters a world of politics to try and do so. That said, the Omi seem to be working with him on the whole "Bleach Japan" project which has me questioning if he hates Yakuza, or the Tojo Clan/his father. I see one of several plot twists happening depending on where they choose to take the plot (which basically involves someone backstabbing someone else).

Then there's the whole dynamic of Aoki having "everything" while Ichiban has nothing. As Masato, he had a father with money and status (though granted, he was part of a smaller Tojo family back in the day) while Ichiban was basically penniless, useless at his job as a Yakuza and was a glorified nanny. After he kills the Yakuza he gets away free (it seems) while Ichiban is fooled into taking the wrap for the crime oh so willingly. And as Aoki he has power, regained strength/health (its a drug involved, if I understand correct, and I can't rule out a Judge Eyes style twist o that one at least) and status. Ichiban... gets shot and tossed into the trash and has to work his way up from nothing.
Only thing similar is that Ichiban and Kiryu were both Yakuza and took a wrap for a crime they didn't commit - and even then you had Ichiban who gets beaten the crap out of in prison, Kiryu gets attacked once and then left alone as he'd destroy any idiot stupid enough to attack him with a kitchen utensile. Ichiban is shot and thrown in the trash after he's released, seemingly no one waiting for him (not even his aniki Mitsuo) while Kiryu was kicked out of the clan and still had the red carpet rolled out for him - Kazama, Shinji were still on his side and he was still revered within the city. If anything, its polar opposites for Kiryu and Ichiban (which is fair, even their suit colour schemes are directly inverted of each other - grey with red shirt for Kiryu, red with grey shirt for Ichiban) while Masato/Aoki is not really like Nishiki at all aside from the murder.

That said, there's still tons about the story that is unknown, subject to change, and twists that could totally bring things back round to familiar tropes. I just don't quite see that yet.
Oh, and one big difference in character (predicated on the gameplay change for both Online and 7) - Ichiban is weaker (way weaker) and requires a team to defeat foes Kiryu would push over with his menacing aura. Again, its the case of the legendary Dragon of Dojima vs. a nobody.

I won't disagree with you that if we're analyzing the characters properly, there are a lot of differences in personalities. However, I am referring to the superficial similarities in the stories. The tendency that the games have to redo moments.

Ichiban's willingness to take the fall for a friend in an act of extraordinary selflessness is simply astounding, but again, it's something that Kiryu had already done. Although they're both very different characters, it does take the player through a familiar pattern.

Similarly, Tachibana in 0 (a great character, btw) has the ability to cause blackouts in Kamurocho, a trait which, arguably, brings to mind The Florist from Kiwami.

Speaking of Kiwami, Kiryu goes through a tournament at the coliseum in order to confront The Florist, and in Kiwami 2, he's made to go through a few more rounds in the same coliseum in order to acquire Majima's help...

There are similar beats in a few sub-stories across the games as well, and honestly, that's completely fine by me, but interestingly, both cabaret club quests from 0 and Kiwami 2 basically told the same story, and if I'm not mistaken, the opposing club manager from both games had to stoop to kidnapping one of our own hostesses. I really didn't mind this either, I loved the whole thing, but it did make me think yet again of how if all felt familiar.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I won't disagree with you that if we're analyzing the characters properly, there are a lot of differences in personalities. However, I am referring to the superficial similarities in the stories. The tendency that the games have to redo moments.

Ichiban's willingness to take the fall for a friend in an act of extraordinary selflessness is simply astounding, but again, it's something that Kiryu had already done. Although they're both very different characters, it does take the player through a familiar pattern.

Similarly, Tachibana in 0 (a great character, btw) has the ability to cause blackouts in Kamurocho, a trait which, arguably, brings to mind The Florist from Kiwami.

Speaking of Kiwami, Kiryu goes through a tournament at the coliseum in order to confront The Florist, and in Kiwami 2, he's made to go through a few more rounds in the same coliseum in order to acquire Majima's help...

There are similar beats in a few sub-stories across the games as well, and honestly, that's completely fine by me, but interestingly, both cabaret club quests from 0 and Kiwami 2 basically told the same story, and if I'm not mistaken, the opposing club manager from both games had to stoop to kidnapping one of our own hostesses. I really didn't mind this either, I loved the whole thing, but it did make me think yet again of how if all felt familiar.

Well the Tachibana thing was never really explained. It was a pretty weird scene, but again he and Florist aren't alike and that scene was nothing like anything Florist does either - Florist only monitors the city, Tachibana implies he has some level of control over the city itself due to him buying up lots of real estate, but it comes across a bit strange in that (admittedly cool) scene. As for the arena stuff, yeah that happens in almost each game, even 0 despite using a completely different arena, that said you picked one of my top 5 side activities so I'm never gonna complain of its inclusion in the story (RGG Online has Ichiban go through an Arena fighting tournament as well, something I hope is kept for 7).

But I get where your coming from. Heck, Yakuza 6 actually mirrors Yakuza 1 insanely closely at certain points if you compare the stories of Kazama and his children, and Hirose and his goons. What makes it work for me in both instances are how well the characters are done, something I'm hoping 7 will have as well (and so far it looks very promising)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure about the fighting parts. They take longer it seems then before to make the game lengthier...
I got pretty strong pretty fast in the demo, fights still lasted slightly longer than solo Kiryu, but still went by in a few seconds or so. Plus you can skip all animations in battle if you want to speed it up even more, which is handy I guess (I like the animations myself)