• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
xi-W70x-Ol5t8-F.jpg

Release Date: September 28th, 2021
Platforms: PC
Developer/Publisher: Jeffrey
Price: $39.99
Microtransactions: Soon, but not at launch
NW_LaunchTimes_Map_v6_Big_AM-PM_1920x1080.jpg
Qc-XUc-LM5-Px-PQ.jpg

New World is a new sandbox MMORPG from Amazon Game Studios. This is definitely their first game, ok? You are shipwrecked on the spooky new world of Aeternum, an island between Europe and North America that has thwarted would be explorers for thousands of years. Once there, you will chop down trees, make friends, and shoot the local fauna to your heart's content (some of them will shoot you back). While PVP is a big focus, with players choosing a faction and joining a player driven company, there is plenty of PVE content, endgame and otherwise. It's a true sandbox: you may decide to live a somewhat peaceful life hunting and gathering, decorating your home, and trading amongst the various towns. Or you might decide to be a ruthless warlord, ravaging rival factions and leading your Company to world domination.
Or maybe you can be the one that finally uncovers the mystery behind Aeternum?
NW_Carve.gif

View a cool interactive version of Aeternum's dense and detailed map by clicking below:
EXcqi6-KAUS87.jpg

No tab targeting here--New World boasts action combat based on positioning, weight, and build diversity. I hear it's even been compared to....Dark Souls (but what hasn't?). With robust weapon mastery progression, combos, and even dodge rolls, New World's combat is meant to be a big selling point. While there is healing and tanking, this is a softer trinity than most MMOs, and there are no classes--just weapons and equipment you can change and respecialize at will. Will you be at the head of the pack with sword and towering shield? Will you be known across your server as a deadeye with a musket? Or will you support your friends and company with the healing life staff?

Weapons:
One Handed: Sword and Shield, Rapier, Hatchet
Two Handed: Spears, Great Axe, Hammer
Ranged: Bow, Musket
Magical Weapons: Fire Staff, Life Staff, Ice Gauntlets

NW_Sword_Sorcery_2.gif

cv-N52-FZLA9-PS.jpg

New World comes equipped with an almost completely player driven economy. There are no vendors here for you to sell your junk to. Comprised of a mix of gatherers, refiners, and craftsman, the crafting system is sure to provide legs for many that love a good grind. Crafting is essential to progression in New World: you must find your niche in order to survive and thrive. Will you corner the market for iron ore? Will you become the greatest gourmand Aeternum has ever seen? Or will you spend your days quietly searching for the best fishing spots?

Crafting Skills:
Gatherers: Fishing, Harvesting, Logging, Mining, Skinning
Refiners: Smelting, Stonecutting, Tanning, Weaving, Woodworking
Crafters: Armoring, Arcana, Cooking, Engineering, Furnishing, Jewelcrafting, Weaponsmithing
NW_Land_Magic_2.gif

ittohi-OBGNEO.jpg

A big part of New World is beating back the corruption and dangerous creatures that haunt Aeternum. The island is divided into several different territories, most of which have their own Fort and Settlement. The playerbase is solely responsible for governing, defending, and upgrading a settlement. Player run companies compete for governership (which conveys bonsues like taxes and other buffs) of a territory, and must defend it from not only Corrupted but other Companies as well. The upgrade level of a settlement determines which tier of crafting stations are available, giving extra weight for the entire server to ensure settlments are upgraded and maintained.

Governance:
Companies that control a territory can assign a governor and consuls to run the day to day management of a settlement under that companies control. These players can adjust taxes and fees in their Settlement so that travelers and Residents help to pay the Upkeep as they craft, trade, and live in their houses. They also can make their Settlement more desirable to own a home in by focusing on particular upgrades for particular types of players. They are also responsible for upgrading the settlement by comissioning Town Projects that everyone in the territory can contribute to. These Companies are also responsible for mounting a defense of the territory during invasions, lest the settlement be downgraded and more work must be put in to raise it again.

Housing/Animal Crossing:
If you like a settlement (and it's government), you can decide to purchase a house there. Each settlement has a variety of houses to choose from, from huge, expensive mansions in the middle of town, to smaller houses that overlook the territory outside the walls. Once you buy a house, you are free to furnish your house with hundreds of different items and trophies. Find pets for your house, mount that head of that devious mountain lion, or put up gawdy decorations that show how rich you are. When you own a house, you will always see it in town, but there is a style competition based on your standing in the territory and your skill at decorating that determines whose house shows up for everyone else on a server. In addition to looking cool, trophies you put up in your house also provide bonuses to your skills (as long as you pay your taxes!).
5-I2qj25-C9r50.jpg

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

PvP in New World is designed around fair fights that are organized, skill based, and opt-in. To the dismay of some fans, AGS has gone with a philosophy that leans away from what is known as "Player-killing", which often revolves around high level players bullying others. While the goal is still to have a sense of danger and risk/reward in the world, you will not get ganked outside the first settlement walls.

Open World Territory Warfare and Sieges:
Each region in New World has a fort that can be controlled by a player driven company. These forts offer unique and robust benefits for the company and faction that controls them. In order to take over an enemy fort, you can begin an invasion that involves flagging yourself for PvP, completing PvP focused faction missions, and maintaining more of your faction's dudes in the territory than the other faction's dudes. If the attackers are successful and getting enough influence in the territory, then you move to a large scale scheduled and instanced 50v50 castle siege game mode between the two factions.

Duels:
You can participate in fun, consequence free duels to test out your build in a low stakes environment.
giphy.gif

Outpost Rush:
A point based, MOBA-esque 20v20 endgame PvPvE mode in which two competing factions fight over various fortifications and resources while defeating monsters and other AI baddies. In this mode, you can contribute more than just killing the enemy team. You can help to gather resources, build defenses, upgrade your fort, hunt special monsters that give your team buffs, heal your team, and more. You can queue for this PVP mode either solo or with up to 5 friends. This is a key PVP game mode but not connected to the territory warfare metagame.
giphy.gif

1-WPg2h-KObh3-L.jpg

While PVE wasn't originally a huge focus in New World, after last years Alpha feedback AGS spent a lot of resources on buffing up this side of the game. Including standard questing, world events, Horde-esque game modes, and endgame dungeons called Expeditions, New World has brought plenty of PVE pep to the game for those that don't want to get involved in the faction warfare of the PVP modes.

Quests:
Players will encounter a consistent stream of voice acted and unique main story quests that will take you through the various enemy groups and regions. Don't expect a FF14 level story here with cutscenes and all that, but there is enough to keep you moving through the content. There are also various side quests, faction specific quests, and quests to improve a town or territory. Definitely expect some "Kill 5 boars" quests sprinkled in amongst the more interesting ones, but there are bound to be a few surprises as you explore Aeternum and meet its denizens.

Expeditions:
These dungeons involve up to five players delving into instanced, multi-stage missions. This is your traditional MMO dungeon run, complete with mechanics, unique loot, and big scary bosses at the end. These also have a procedural edge to them, and every subsequent run will increase difficulty and have different puzzles and mechanics. Right now there are 6 but you can bet that more will be added.

NW_Stronger_Together.gif

Invasions:
This is the New World version of a horde mode. From time to time, player controlled territories will be targeted for an invasion, in which 50 players will rally to defend their fort from monsters and other bad dudes. You and your homies can place traps, support structures, turrets, and more in an attempt to defend your territory. If you can't hold out for the alotted time, your territory will be downgraded (less bonuses and other goodies).
giphy.gif
B2uf-Jjf4-Hzko.jpg

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Resetera New World Discord
We are planning to create an Era company, join us in the discord for more info.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Trailer/Screenshots

ss24.jpg

ss18.jpg

ss29.jpg

ss7.jpg

gallery3.jpg

gallery9.jpg

gallery7.jpg

gallery1.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I tried it out in beta, and it didn't grab me but I will definitely give this another try at some point... because I'm getting a free key from Amazon. 😄

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I might give it a shot if performance has improved, beta was frying my CPU and didn't run very well.

Also saw this the other day, this is such a childish way to market your game, not to mention the games do not target the same audience whatsoever, they're wildly different types of MMO's:

Same energy:

unknown.png

OP
OP
GazRB

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I might give it a shot if performance has improved, beta was frying my CPU and didn't run very well.

Also saw this the other day, this is such a childish way to market your game, not to mention the games do not target the same audience whatsoever, they're wildly different types of MMO's:

Same energy:

unknown.png

I completely agree. take this video for example:
www.youtube.com

New World: Settling Down - Episode #1

Join these newly weds as they search for their perfect home in Aeternum in Episode 1 of Settling Down. Your vote will decide which house they end up with in ...

They have this same childish energy through all of their marketing and I think its really the wrong way to go for this time of game.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
So characters names are going to be locked server wide or world wide?

Saw a video that said that clan names after you pick yours are locked and no one can use the same regardless of region. What about character names?

Anyway looking forward to the game! Wish I could play on Era server, but being from LATAM I guess the ping is going to be too high for me…

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Gonna wait till it comes out on ps5 eventually, I played the alphas and controller just seems like the right fit with how the combat and menus working.

OP
OP
GazRB

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
So characters names are going to be locked server wide or world wide?

Saw a video that said that clan names after you pick yours are locked and no one can use the same regardless of region. What about character names?

Anyway looking forward to the game! Wish I could play on Era server, but being from LATAM I guess the ping is going to be too high for me…
Yes, there is one character name world wide.
I think Era is leaning for NA East but if there is enough interest maybe a South American one could be set up? Don't think a lot of people on Era are interested in this game though.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com

Join these newly weds as they search for their perfect home in Aeternum in Episode 1 of Settling Down. Your vote will decide which house they end up with in ...

They have this same childish energy through all of their marketing and I think its really the wrong way to go for this time of game.

What the hell did I just watch... Yeah, that would not make me want to play the game haha

Gonna wait till it comes out on ps5 eventually, I played the alphas and controller just seems like the right fit with how the combat and menus working.

Have they confirmed if they had plans for an eventual console launch? I'd also rather play this on console.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be playing but not for the first week or so. Starting zones at a MMO launch are utter bedlam

OP
OP
GazRB

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be playing but not for the first week or so. Starting zones at a MMO launch are utter bedlam
The nice thing here is that new players are strewn across several different starting areas, so that should alleviate some of that.
But yeah I imagine some trouble the first week, but I can't help but want to be a part of the first rush.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
The nice thing here is that new players are strewn across several different starting areas, so that should alleviate some of that.
But yeah I imagine some trouble the first week, but I can't help but want to be a part of the first rush.

Splitting the starting areas had no positive impact during the betas. Still chaos. Notice we're also assuming no major server issues at launch :)

OP
OP
GazRB

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Does the game have any sort of controller support?

Bad wrists make it tough to keyboard and mouse for long.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I'll wait until they have official controller support. Also i want this to be on console too :(

docannon

Oct 28, 2017
Just checking, but has Amazon said anything about making the game available on Luna? I want to play it but my computer most definitely can't run this.

OP
OP
GazRB

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
How is leveling in this game? Compared to WoW for example? Is it pretty easy to get XP?
Yes, you can get XP from lots of sources and people were able to grind to endgame in the beta fairly easily.
I think trade skills also level up your main levels, and each weapon has its own progression. So lots of bars to fill.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The fact it was trying to assassinate my CPU and it seemingly was trying reach 100% of ram usage for me (on 64gb ram btw) it was too unoptimized for my liking.

I only really care for the gathering and crafting aspect of the game.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
www.youtube.com

I don't see anything wrong with the youtube video, its "fun" more than "childish." I think of "childish" advertising as trying to mix "fun" and "cool" or trendy and failing at it.

OP
OP
GazRB

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with the youtube video, its "fun" more than "childish." I think of "childish" advertising as trying to mix "fun" and "cool" or trendy and failing at it.
Haha yes you are probably right. Either way, I wish they took a more serious tone with the marketing!

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Tuesday is going to be the longest work day ever. Hopefully the servers are stable by 5pm though.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Just glancing at news over the last few months I can't tell very well but are they going to implement animal taming in this? Or how serious are they about doing it if its not in yet?

OP
OP
GazRB

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Just glancing at news over the last few months I can't tell very well but are they going to implement animal taming in this? Or how serious are they about doing it if its not in yet?
nothing that we've heard (other than some teases). I assume mounts would come first (although they have been pretty against mounts so far).

If it has a successful launch I could see them building on this for years to come so who knows what they may add?

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall
I really want to buy the game but I'm afraid of buying another MMO that turns out to be trash.

How is the reception to the game so far? Plenty to do, endgame, dungeons?

OP
OP
GazRB

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to buy the game but I'm afraid of buying another MMO that turns out to be trash.

How is the reception to the game so far? Plenty to do, endgame, dungeons?
This is a good video I checked out. Lots of people have spent a lot of time with it thanks to all the tests they've had over the last few years. In my experience it sure had that addictive quality that you kind of want from an MMO, but I can't speak for the endgame since I didn't want to play the alpha too much.

youtu.be

New World Review: Gameplay Impressions After 180 Hours Played (Closed Beta)

New World Review: Gameplay Impressions After 180 Hours Played (Closed Beta) In this video, I want to talk about my Final Impressions for New World Closed Bet...

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Genuinely excited for this. Played all of the alphas and betas but only for a max of about an hour each, and the game really improved over time. In the latest build, I felt that sense of exploring a new world (no pun intended) that I haven't felt from an MMO in years.

Easy purchase, especially considering there isn't a subscription model. Hopefully launch goes smoothly.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interested to check this out down the line. Enjoyed the beta well enough to be pleasantly surprised by it. Hope the launch goes smoothly, will be watching my brother join that first rush.

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall
This is a good video I checked out. Lots of people have spent a lot of time with it thanks to all the tests they've had over the last few years. In my experience it sure had that addictive quality that you kind of want from an MMO, but I can't speak for the endgame since I didn't want to play the alpha too much.

youtu.be

New World Review: Gameplay Impressions After 180 Hours Played (Closed Beta)

New World Review: Gameplay Impressions After 180 Hours Played (Closed Beta) In this video, I want to talk about my Final Impressions for New World Closed Bet...
I'll check this out, I appreciate ya!

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017
US East huh? Gonna make me wake up at 5am to get in the first wave of people disappointed the servers are on fire and they can't play.

Didn't realize there was a completely player based economy, like old time DAOC. Maybe I'll lean into some crafting if it's mechanically fun.

Sykane

Dec 12, 2017
Played a ton of one of the early alphas, absolutely loved it and actually skipped the subsequent alphas/beta to not burn myself out. Looking forward to release on Tuesday, hopefully I jump into the Era company

KhrossSF

Jul 8, 2020
think im gonna roll on West Camelot. Was going to do El Dorado but im sure its going to be the main west server because it was used in Beta

OP
OP
GazRB

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
US East huh? Gonna make me wake up at 5am to get in the first wave of people disappointed the servers are on fire and they can't play.

Didn't realize there was a completely player based economy, like old time DAOC. Maybe I'll lean into some crafting if it's mechanically fun.
I'll be there too! Depending on the lag, we might need to have an Era West and an Era East lol.