PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The spin move not being able to be assigned to a button and blue toad being removed is baffling. Surely both of those have to be patched at some point?
The spin move is assigned to a button though.
You can press ZR to spin jump or spin while in midair.
(You can also do a mid-air spin by pressing jump a second time)

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I did not know they forced P3 and P4 to play as Nabbit and Toadette. That blows. Though I can't think of many scenarios when I'd be playing this game with more than 1 other person who doesn't suck at video games, so I guess it's not the end of the world. Would probably play most of it solo anyways. Game is likely better designed that way since you can't just repeatedly fail at things and get your little bubble popped to come back in for free.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great game but the absence of any improvements other than a simple res bump to 1080p and the price is going to make this very unpalatable. I'm fed up with these Wii U ports taking out the Wii U features and adding nothing in return while still charging full-whack; a port from 6 years ago should at least include new worlds or the Wii game bundled in also.

Not sure how I feel about the spin being on the jump button as I'd have to play it first but it's madness that you can't choose the old control scheme.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Wait, it's $60? I bought it on Wii U a few weeks ago, including Luigi U, for $23.

For a Switch port, I wouldn't pay more than $40.

Sorry, but old game.
For whatever it's worth, Nintendo is being consistent with their own pricing. They've never dropped the MSRP, just started bundling Luigi U in. The game has technically been at 60 MSRP since its inception.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
While I understand people being tired of the art style and music, this is the best in the NSMB series and a legitimately fantastic game. It's one of the best platformers this decade.

TF is obviously better, of course.

TF is an aesthetic power house and easily the best DKC game but I still prefer NSMBU from a mechanics standpoint. It's my favorite 2D Mario game.

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
What is the better 2 player coop experience between it and Tropical Freeze?

I'd say Tropical Freeze, because New Super Mario Bros is plain not fun in multiplayer. Due to constantly bumping into eachtother, any flow or momentum in the levels is lost and you're constantly in eachothers way. This is not an issue in DK: TF, because you can just walk into eachother like so many other co-op games.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all the talk about the reviews and stuff at the end of the day it doesn't really matter as the game is going to sell just fine.

Am I the only person that thinks Rayman is aesthetically pleasing but just simply cannot get into how the game plays.

No, I am the same as well. The game looks nice but the gameplay is just kinda eh, plus it also doesn't help that I really hate Rayman design.

$60 for this is a joke.

People will defend it though.

How is it a joke? The target market for the game is towards folks that didn't buy the original game back on the Wii U, plus it's two games so that also factors into the price.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Up to an 80 on MC now.

I loved it on Wii U and I never played the Luigi DLC so I'm looking forward to playing this in handheld mode.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The price is hurting this game in the reviews honestly. That and the New aesthetic fatigue. The game is brilliant, though. I agree with Jeremy Parish. He says it's the best 2D Mario.

I think Jeremy Parish is awesome and all but honestly that list that he made was whack. NSMBU is not really that different from NSMBWii like at all and he put Wii at 10 but U at number 1. I read that list and his justification for it was flimsy at best to nonexistent at worst. Calling NSMBU the best Mario game is crazy.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Good review from GamXplain. Sums up my feelings from playing the WiiU version. These games are intended for kids or parent/kids. If you're an adult looking for strong 2D single player look to the indie scene. Donkey Kong TF is the better Nintendo platformer if you just have to spend $60.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
Pokemon Let's Go should be $40. This should be $30 tbh.
Pokemon Let's Go is a brand new game.
I just watched it and it's a good video but it is kinda pointless. It really should be a given that the port runs at 1080p@60fps without any downgrades.
I don't think it's pointless. Their analysis is the most well rounded that I've seen on this game. They present their findings and give an opinion about the value of the game. In the end it seems like they feel the game is worth it for people who missed out on it the first time around while stating that the rest of us may not get as much value out of it.

Apr 21, 2018
Are you one of those who claimed that Splatoon 2 was a port? NSMBU wasn't a port.

As I said before in NSLU it was always the case that at least one player had to be Nabbit when playing with four players.

Yeah, but I'm hearing that in the base NSMB game, player 3 and 4 are now forced to be Toadette and Nabit with their special abilities. They removed the toads which were effectively reskins it Mario.

In NSLU it isn't as offensive because the game is so tough it's more or less designed for one, maybe two players.

It's too bad NSMBU doesn't atleast give the option for Player 3/4 to play as regular toads, or atleast Toadette/Nabbit minus the abilities. I'm not sure why Nintendo enforces this crap sometimes.

OP
OP
vaderise

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Added some more reviews and the DF analysis to the thread.
Oh and i pre-ordered the game because i even like the "Bad" 2D Marios like NSMB or NSMB2. I'm sure i'll have a blast with this. 60$ is a bit too much, not very happy on that part.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
How is it a joke? The target market for the game is towards folks that didn't buy the original game back on the Wii U, plus it's two games so that also factors into the price.
It's been <$30 on the Wii U for years. Also the argument that these overpriced ports being aimed at people who haven't bought the games before somehow excuses it is absurd. Only Nintendo pulls shit like this.

Pokemon Let's Go is a brand new game.
Pokemon on the 3DS was $40, and nothing about Let's Go justifies the higher price point.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Every time I see this game I hope to God Nintendo gives 2D Mario an art shake-up for the next go-around. Gimme Cuphead-like animation in this style:

2d-mario.jpg

That artstyle is horrendous which is why they hired somebody for the artwork.

The spin move is assigned to a button though.
You can press ZR to spin jump or spin while in midair.
(You can also do a mid-air spin by pressing jump a second time)

Yeah what the hell is with the spread of misinformation.

Damn, I did not know they forced P3 and P4 to play as Nabbit and Toadette. That blows. Though I can't think of many scenarios when I'd be playing this game with more than 1 other person who doesn't suck at video games, so I guess it's not the end of the world. Would probably play most of it solo anyways. Game is likely better designed that way since you can't just repeatedly fail at things and get your little bubble popped to come back in for free.

Yeah, but I'm hearing that in the base NSMB game, player 3 and 4 are now forced to be Toadette and Nabit with their special abilities. They removed the toads which were effectively reskins it Mario.

In NSLU it isn't as offensive because the game is so tough it's more or less designed for one, maybe two players.

It's too bad NSMBU doesn't atleast give the option for Player 3/4 to play as regular toads, or atleast Toadette/Nabbit minus the abilities. I'm not sure why Nintendo enforces this crap sometimes.

Not completely true, In NSMBU you can avoid using both as the other three players can be Mario, Luigi and Yellow Toad, it's forced ONLY in NSLU though Mario is unavailable in that one.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you haven't played the Wii U version and love platformers, you owe it to yourself to pick this up(or at least on Wii U). Fuck the noise about it being similar to NSMB for the Wii.... it's levels are far better designed and the artstyle is a big improvement even if on the service it doesn't seem much better. Also NSMB:Luigi levels are amazing.

The addition of Nabbit for the original game seems dumb in my books though. It was never a good addition in Luigi U either.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Every time I see this game I hope to God Nintendo gives 2D Mario an art shake-up for the next go-around. Gimme Cuphead-like animation in this style:

2d-mario.jpg

I've owned a Japanese copy of this game for the better part of 20 years and this is the first time I've noticed that Lakitu has the Spiney on a leash... like he's a pet.

Pokemon on the 3DS was $40, and nothing about Let's Go justifies the higher price point.

haha

May 5, 2018
I feel Super Mario Maker and the later reception of Tropical Freeze have ruined New Super Mario U overtime. SMM shows what kind of insane and clever levels people can make with the toolkit that puts U's levels to shame. TF got a mostly positive reception with people preaching it's great design then. But I feel the Switch port of it has gotten more attention and many more people are warming up to TF's design and claiming that TF is one of the greatest 2D platformers out there. I mean, Gamespot went from giving TF a 6 to a 9 for the Wii U and Switch versions respectively. Seems like Tropical Freeze and SMM all are making NSMBU look safe and mundane in comparison.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I feel Super Mario Maker and the later reception of Tropical Freeze have ruined New Super Mario U overtime. SMM shows what kind of insane and clever levels people can make with the toolkit that puts U's levels to shame. TF got a mostly positive reception with people preaching it's great design then. But I feel the Switch port of it has gotten more attention and many more people are warming up to TF's design and claiming that TF is one of the greatest 2D platformers out there. I mean, Gamespot went from giving TF a 6 to a 9 for the Wii U and Switch versions respectively. Seems like Tropical Freeze and SMM all are making NSMBU look safe and mundane in comparison.

Then again a good bunch of levels in NSMBU and specially NSLU can't be replicated in SMM.

Oct 28, 2017
I am excited about this game for three reasons:

1. NES Controllers can be used

2. Tropical Freeze was way too hard for me (bosses made me quit). Celeste and most other indie platformers aren't on my list for the same reasons. SMB3 difficultly is where I max out as an adult.

3. I always thought the Wii version was one of the Wii games that got the most out of 1080p upscaling in Dolphin, so I kinda want to see a version of the game made for 1080p.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the criticism of forcing a 3rd/4th character to use a handicap makes me want to bring up Tropical Freeze.

The port of that game was very smart in that, the Wii U version was still completely intact in an original mode. So if you didn't want the overpowered Funky Kong, or the extra hearts given to the other Kongs, you had the option of not having it. They should've done something similar here.

SuperNerd3000

Oct 25, 2017
CRAP.

From a definite pick-up to a hard pass. The reviews have done nothing to persuade me to keep my pre-order. The lifeless game design choices I keep seeing reviewers talk about over and over is truly disappointing. Seems like a swing-and-a-miss from Nintendo. Surprised actually. This series rocked it back in the day.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
I never understand when people play devil's advocate like this. Yeah obviously if nintendo can get away with charging people for barebones online and 60 dollar ports with minimal content of course they will. Any company would.

But some companies are doing full on remakes/remasters for half the price. Its fair to criticize the blatant greed.

They do it because they think they make more money by selling more than double at half price. Nintendo thinks differently and they are probably right. Both strategies are to maximize profits.

ReitStuff

Oct 30, 2017
You know, everyone talks about how 2D Mario always sells great and NSMBUD will be no different. But IDK, it seems like no one ever has anything good to say about it and I've seen pretty much no hype for it.

Oh well, I've got it pre-ordered and am looking forward to Friday.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
No, but even with those limitations plenty of people found a way to make way more interesting stages than Nintendo did with NSMBU across all the different Mario tile-sets .

Interesting does not mean good. Mario Maker levels do not approach the Polish on display in this game.

CRAP.

From a definite pick-up to a hard pass. The reviews have done nothing to persuade me to keep my pre-order. The lifeless game design choices I keep seeing reviewers talk about over and over is truly disappointing. Seems like a swing-and-a-miss from Nintendo. Surprised actually. This series rocked it back in the day.

The game is arguably the best 2d Mario game. It's not a swing and a Miss.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
They do it because they think they make more money by selling more than double at half price. Nintendo thinks differently and they are probably right. Both strategies are to maximize profits.

I for one cant wait to play crash team racing remade with online for 40 bucks. Im sure it will profit just fine too. Value and game quality can co-exist.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting does not mean good. Mario Maker levels do not approach the Polish on display in this game.

The game is arguably the best 2d Mario game. It's not a swing and a Miss.

To me, interesting = Good

NSMBU is polished but bland and the fact that all levels have to be designed with four players in mind hurts the level design. This is certainly not the best 2D Mario. It might be the best NSMB game but just barely.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
It´s a really solid game, and the challenge mode is great fun.

Never owned it myself, but i borrowed it from a friend and played about half the game. So glad it gets another chance on the Switch...

#TeamWahWah

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two games?
Let's not get carried away, now.

Childish snark comment aside, it does have two games, New Super Mario Bros U and New Luigi U.

It's been <$30 on the Wii U for years.

No-one cares about the Wii U version, that console bombed in sales hence why the deluxe version exist.

Also the argument that these overpriced ports being aimed at people who haven't bought the games before somehow excuses it is absurd. Only Nintendo pulls shit like this.

They have a reason to charge more for it, the Switch is selling well and the market seems to be fine in paying more for a port as evidenced by Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze or the fact that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is selling really well.

You might not agree with it but the market has spoken and Nintendo is responding to that.

It's a HD home console game, that alone justifies the price point. So trying to compare the price to the Pokémon games on the 3DS was pointless.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting to crack Luigi U wide open. Didn't get a good chance before. I teally hope needing to press A again doesn't get in the way. I know the GameExplain guys mentioned it being an issue.

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
CRAP.

Have you never played the Wii U version?

If you haven't, it's fine. NSMBU is an extremely well-designed game and easily up there with the best of 2D Mario. NSLU is even better and the perfect antidote for the point that Mario games are too easy these days.

Most of the criticism around this game centers around the fact that the Switch version adds very little over the experience of the Wii U version, which is a totally fair critique. But don't sleep on the game itself, the core game is rock solid.

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
Not completely true, In NSMBU you can avoid using both as the other three players can be Mario, Luigi and Yellow Toad, it's forced ONLY in NSLU though Mario is unavailable in that one.
All right, not too bad then. Adding blue toad back in would indeed be nice though and I can't imagine why they removed him other than to appear more diverse, even though the female character is of course ultra handicapped.