• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's the best player character?

• Mario

Votes: 307 40.9%
  • Luigi

Votes: 189 25.2%
  • Toad

Votes: 63 8.4%
  • Toadette

Votes: 166 22.1%
  • Nabbit

Votes: 71 9.5%

• Total voters

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The more I dig back into challenge mode, the more I'm annoyed by the twirl, but I can still usually pinpoint a mistimed jump on my end.

I'd still rather the option to turn it off, but it hasn't actively stopped me from getting golds on anything yet...

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Played the first world. Really enjoying it. Wanted to post a few thoughts on what's been said here. For context, I really haven't played much of the New games. I owned the DS original and I think I beat it, but I recall being underwhelmed by it.

Twirl/jump - Not an issue for me so far. I now totally get what NoSpin explained so well about holding jump before landing on an enemy. I have say, I don't really use this technique much in Mario games. Maybe it's because I haven't played any of the "New" games much or maybe it's because I'm just a scrub ass Mario player. Should be patched, I agree. The first rule for making changes when porting a game should be: do no harm.

Lives - Yep, antiquated. Jeremy Parished laid this out nicesly w/r/t SMO's move away from lives in a great Retronauts post. And yeah, I'm finding the animation on the world map between deaths to be really damn tedious. Ugh.

Save system - Again, Odyssey was better. 3D Land saved after every level, too, I think? Just makes sense. Didn't expect that to change here in a port, though. But with the quick save and just putting my Switch in sleep mode, it's not a big deal. Main thing is just forgetting it's like this and jumping into another game without thinking since, you know, hardly any moderns games have such a system any more.

Score - Why? Talk about keeping something just for the sake of keeping something.

Overall, though, I'm really loving the level design, even early on. I can tell this is gonna get really good. The "feel" does seems a little sluggish compared to old school Mario games or even Odyssey. It's just a design choice, but I can see how people would feel like there's some lag going on. If you're a lapsed Nintendo fan jumping into a 2D Mario game for the first time in years it probably feels off.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah, some are VERY tricky to find, and it also doesn't help that it's not like SMW which showed which level had a secret exit or not by having a red point on the map instead of an ordinary yellow one. heh
There are some hints on the map itself, which is probably what they were banking on. But a couple of them, particularly the earliest one, are pretty obtuse.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I have a couple questions. If one were trying to '100 percent' NSMBU Deluxe what exactly is all needed? Are there ranks in Boost mode? Is there a list of all the challenges you can unlock?

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Regarding saving, if I really needed I would go back to an easy castle like the first one in world 1 and beat it again. Was very helpful in Luigi U.
Would be nice if it had an option to replay a level immediately instead of throwing you back in world map and load the level again.

movieclub

Jan 3, 2019
This is the perfect podcast game. Catching up on the Giant Bomb deliberations while playing. Toadette into Peachette is really fun to play and I likee how they give you the choice of using easier characters if you're frustrated with a certain level or just want to play and chill without any difficulty. I'm liking this trend like with Tropical Freeze and now this.

Yup! I am going through the GFW Radio Backlog on 2x.

Also for saves after clearing a level or two i go back to the first micro castle in World 1 and beat it to get a Save... lame hack but works.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got this game yesterday and popped it in today...I regret buying this game for so many reasons.

For starter the game is just dreadfully boring to play, Toadette is just a pale cop out excuse for not being able to play as Peach or Daisy or Rosalina. Instead Nintendo just took lowest effort route and just recycled Toad and Peach model. And even then the game isn't built around Peachette so getting all the coins requires switching to a different power ups.

Mapping the twirl to A without any option to disable it was stupid, how this passed testing is beyond me. And I don't get why each characters have their own lives rather than it all being shared.

I also hate having to hold the run button as it hurts by thumb and I feel that 2D Mario games is in a dire need for a revamp.

I am not sure if I will continue playing the game, as I never finished it on the Wii U or played Luigi U, or just sell it.

movieclub

Jan 3, 2019
Well the save thing is definitely on purpose. I just beat the game and it "unlocks" the ability to save.

Was a joy to play. Was not as easy as I anticipated from reading comments but was on the shorter side IMO. I had to use a Luigi Guide for one section and because I got caught in a no lives have not saved in a bit had to clear one level with Nabbit. Plan to go back and beat those two, but otherwise cleared every course.

I am not usually one for collecting Coins. Is it worth getting all the star coins to unlock those last levels?

Going to try out Luigi now.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
So I only messed around in the first world so far and haven't been paying attention to the save issue thing.

How exactly does it work, and what's the best way to deal with it to avoid losing progress?

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
In 4p mode in NSLU, is it possible to NOT have someone playing nabbit? It's kinda boring when one player is literally invincible.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the save thing is definitely on purpose. I just beat the game and it "unlocks" the ability to save.

Yeah I don't understand that nonsense and why Nintendo did that other than to pad out game play time as I would by pass it by replaying the first world castle levels to save the game. At least with this version I can use Nabbit to speed through the level.

Honestly it just highlights how the series is stuck in the past and needs a modern overhaul.

So I only messed around in the first world so far and haven't been paying attention to the save issue thing.

How exactly does it work, and what's the best way to deal with it to avoid losing progress?

You can only save the game after finishing a castle levels, other than that you have to use the quick save to create a temporary save.

It's dumb and I just get around it by doing the first world castle just to save the same, using Nabbit quickens it.

In 4p mode in NSLU, is it possible to NOT have someone playing nabbit? It's kinda boring when one player is literally invincible.

No, that's how it was in the original.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
You can only save the game after finishing a castle levels, other than that you have to use the quick save to create a temporary save.

It's dumb and I just get around it by doing the first world castle just to save the same, using Nabbit quickens it.

I guess I'm still confused. What's are the limitations to using quick save? Does it not keep all your progress?
(I hope i didn't lose my first world progress, lol)

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I guess I'm still confused. What's are the limitations to using quick save? Does it not keep all your progress?
It does keep all your progress, which is part of the reason why it's silly that it's a thing at all.

But it's an NSMB tradition to lock saving until postgame so... yeah.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017

I think the issue is people are just used to games auto saving every 15 seconds or after every minor event these days, so people are popping out of the game after beating a level without using the quick save and losing progress.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't understand that nonsense and why Nintendo did that other than to pad out game play time as I would by pass it by replaying the first world castle levels to save the game. At least with this version I can use Nabbit to speed through the level.

Honestly it just highlights how the series is stuck in the past and needs a modern overhaul.

No, that's how it was in the original.
Or just use quicksave.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is people are just used to games auto saving every 15 seconds or after every minor event these days, so people are popping out of the game after beating a level without using the quick save and losing progress.

Ok, yeah, if it essentially is just a manual save process before you quit each time, it doesn't seem too bad. I'll just remember to do it each time.

I guess it might have some benefits like if you waste a bunch of lives or items on a level before completing a castle, you just don't save and restart the game?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've forgotten how much I loved the gliding power up in this game. Such a fun way of navigating some of these levels an finding secrets!

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
So when I play in tabletop mode with my Pro Controller, the HD Rumble happens through the Joy Cons. That's a weird glitch.

Oct 27, 2017
Because quick save isn't a permanent save, it's a temporary save. Redoing the castle level is the only way to get a permanent save.
Who cares? Its a save. The only people its bad for are gamers who die a lot and want to reload old saves with lots of lives, which you'd have to be really terrible at this game to need.

Oct 25, 2017
What an odd game. I hate the art design*, but I love the music. I think that the level design is clever and they get a lot out of hiding paths and areas in nooks and crannies, but the actual gameplay is mediocre at best and is often kinda shitty at its worst, especially in a world full of well-made, low-budget 2D platformers that feel great to play.

This will be controversial, but unless we're counting Mario Maker, IMO Nintendo hasn't made a legitimately great 2D Mario since *checks list* Super Mario World. That is staggering.

I might try NSMLU instead of going through this first, but then again, I've started the file and I enjoy the exploration, so maybe I'll keep going. I really want to play some new Mario in platformer form since Nintendo's not putting out any Odyssey DLC, I guess. I'm going to fire through this game. I enjoy it more than I dislike in the balance of things, ultimately.

QUESTION: When you achieve random goals, like making certain jumps or getting certain coin groupings, etc., you get a cheer from an audience. Do you get anything for completing those goals or is it just to signify that you did some elite Mario platforming shit?

*These Baby Yoshis are cute as hell, though.

Last edited:

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I hate getting booted back to the map when I die. It actively makes me less aggressive knowing this will happen if I die.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
What an odd game. I hate the art design*, but I love the music. I think that the level design is clever and they get a lot out of hiding paths and areas in nooks and crannies, but the actual gameplay is mediocre at best and is often kinda shitty at its worst, especially in a world full of well-made, low-budget 2D platformers that feel great to play.

This will be controversial, but unless we're counting Mario Maker, IMO Nintendo hasn't made a legitimately great 2D Mario since *checks list* Super Mario World. That is staggering.

I might try NSMLU instead of going through this first, but then again, I've started the file and I enjoy the exploration, so maybe I'll keep going. I really want to play some new Mario in platformer form since Nintendo's not putting out any Odyssey DLC, I guess. I'm going to fire through this game. I enjoy it more than I dislike in the balance of things, ultimately.

QUESTION: When you achieve random goals, like making certain jumps or getting certain coin groupings, etc., you get a cheer from an audience. Do you get anything for completing those goals or is it just to signify that you did some elite Mario platforming shit?

The level design is good. The challenge mode is better than the main game, IMO. NSMLU is also better than the main NSMBU levels.

The gameplay is tight, but it has a chunky momentum. The more you play it the more you'll see how levels are designed for higher level movement. The super videos are a good example of what's possible.

NSMLU is fantastic. I haven't repurchased the game because I already 100%d them on Wii U, but if I were to replay it again I'd only do challenge mode and NSMLU, TBQH.

As for cheers, they're purely aesthetic. They don't signify anything other than you did a good job.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

I might try NSMLU instead of going through this first, but then again, I've started the file and I enjoy the exploration, so maybe I'll keep going
I will fight for Super Mario Land 2 until the end of time. Put up your dukes.

But yeah, definitely give NSLU a shot if NSMBU burns you out before the end. The shorter levels and strict time limit really shows how much momentum the game can have once you get into the swing of it.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

I would say:

NSMBU > NSMBWii > SMB3 > SMW > NSMB2 > NSMB > SMB1 > SMB2

NSMBU and NSMBWii blow SMB3 and SMW away with much more variety of ideas and much better level design. The gameplay is a cross between SMB3 and SMW: A little tighter than SMB3 but not as slippery and jumps have SMB3 amounts of momentum but the twirl gives you more air control to extend your jumps or change direction.

Mario Maker isn't really a good Mario game. It's a great play, create, share game, but the tools are way too limited to make good/inventive traditional Mario levels. Most people end up making kaizo and puzzle levels with it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Two worlds down so far. Yeah, I'm loving how each stage feels kinda "gimmicky" in that it has a specific idea that caries it throughout the level whether it be a set of obstacles or enemies. I'll take my time and enjoy the stages then go after the hidden exits once I'm done with my first run, from the Wii U version I seem to recall that some of them are pretty obscure exits.
Cannot wait to start Luigi U though, that was always my favourite part of the game originally due to the tighter level design and quicker pace.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

But yeah, definitely give NSLU a shot if NSMBU burns you out before the end. The shorter levels and strict time limit really shows how much momentum the game can have once you get into the swing of it.
I'll point out that the strictness of NSLU's time limit is deceptive. NSLU's levels are 100 seconds, but unlike all other Mario games it uses real-time seconds. NSMBU and other 2D Mario games have a timer where every second is actually 0.6-0.7 seconds, so NSLU's 100 seconds is more comparable to 130-140 seconds in NSMBU.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished up the first world, started up the second world and...I had enough of the game. Mapping A to twirl was just daft, Peachette doesn't really add much value to the game and honestly other platformers have surpassed this game.

Luckily my little brother said that he will take the game so it works out and it's another four player game in the house.

Who cares? Its a save. The only people its bad for are gamers who die a lot and want to reload old saves with lots of lives, which you'd have to be really terrible at this game to need.

Really, you're doing the "git good" comment? Grow up.

For the record, every other games have an auto save feature, including Donkey Kong Country except for this game because...reasons.

There is no reason to why this game needed a backward system.

I hate getting booted back to the map when I die. It actively makes me less aggressive knowing this will happen if I die.

Gamexplain actually did an experiment and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is much quicker in getting the player back into the action after they die.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
Loved this game on Wii U, but never finished it. I picked this up and I'm enjoying it all over again. Honestly, the level design is top notch for me. It's just so enjoyable to explore and get all the coins. One thing though which is the complaint I have on the Wii U version as well, is the time limit. Since I love to explore and get all the coins, I find myself running out of time frequently. I wish I could disable it on the main game.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up the first world, started up the second world and...I had enough of the game. Mapping A to twirl was just daft, Peachette doesn't really add much value to the game and honestly other platformers have surpassed this game.

Luckily my little brother said that he will take the game so it works out and it's another four player game in the house.

Really, you're doing the "git good" comment? Grow up.

For the record, every other games have an auto save feature, including Donkey Kong Country except for this game because...reasons.

There is no reason to why this game needed a backward system.

Gamexplain actually did an experiment and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is much quicker in getting the player back into the action after they die.
The game literally gives you hundreds of extra lives. You don't need to get good. They make sure of that.

Oct 25, 2017

Oh shit, I didn't consider that SML2: 6GC came out after SMW, but of course it did. Top five or six Mario platformer all-time, IMO. I'm with you on that one.

NSMBU and NSMBWii blow SMB3 and SMW away with much more variety of ideas and much better level design.

I can't speak for NSMBU yet, but there is no way that NSMBWii has more variety of ideas than SMB3. SMB3 is the king of Mario games with lots of ideas, even considering some of the weird, variety-filled, out-there stuff Nintendo has come up with in, as two examples, the Galaxy games.

SMB3 is still the best game that Nintendo has ever made in my estimation. Its variety + gameplay + aesthetics is just above anything else they've ever done, and they've done some all-time stuff that has nailed all three of those categories. NSMBWii didn't get close whatsoever, IMO.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit, I didn't consider that SML2: 6GC came out after SMW, but of course it did. Top five or six Mario platformer all-time, IMO. I'm with you on that one.

I can't speak for NSMBU yet, but there is no way that NSMBWii has more variety of ideas than SMB3. SMB3 is the king of Mario games with lots of ideas, even considering some of the weird, variety-filled, out-there stuff Nintendo has come up with in, as two examples, the Galaxy games.

SMB3 is still the best game that Nintendo has ever made in my estimation. Its variety + gameplay + aesthetics is just above anything else they've ever done, and they've done some all-time stuff that has nailed all three of those categories. NSMBWii didn't get close whatsoever, IMO.
Both NSMBWii and NSMBU have unique ideas for every level and have more levels than SMB3, but yeah, SMB3 is like that, too.

In terms of variety + gameplay + aesthetics, NSMBU has those all down. NSMBU has more types of levels. SMB3 has worlds but some of them, like Pipe Maze and Giant Land, kinda cheat in that they're not really world theme material; whereas NSMBU has every 2D Mario level type and combines them in interesting mixes. Gameplay and level design are much tighter; SMB3 has some levels that are really bad game design that mar its otherwise stellar design. And NSMBU is very pretty.

I think actually naming the levels helps give them more identity as well.

NSMBWii is really close behind U in design and variety, but it's easily the ugliest NSMB game.

Last edited:

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Because quick save isn't a permanent save, it's a temporary save. Redoing the castle level is the only way to get a permanent save.

Who cares that it isn't 'permanent'. You can still turn the system off, play other games, and do whatever, you reload the save then go beat a castle, or... quick save again and quit. Am I missing something as to why this is a complaint? It's archaic but it's not limiting, i'm over half way through and haven't had any issues with it.

movieclub

Jan 3, 2019
The game literally gives you hundreds of extra lives. You don't need to get good. They make sure of that.

I 100% disagree with this. As someone who beat the game within a day or so, I did not have hundreds of extra lives. I usually had 5 and then zero. Other than collecting 100 coins where do you get 1up handouts? If stuck on a challenge it is easy to lose 5 lives and then need to reset.

I am aware there are 1up toad houses but I could never win.

Oct 31, 2017
Friend came over to play Smash and I use a GC controller and he uses a Pro Controller. I already had bought SMBUD while at work and redeemed it online so when I got home the game was downloaded and ready to go. So on a whim, with Cube controller in hand, I said, "Let's try SMBUD before we hop into Smash." Lovely game, one I put tens of hours into on WiiU, but I really can't recommend using the GC controller with that game, haha. I think it's pretty awesome you can use it, but learn from my mistakes, just feels wonky :D

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I 100% disagree with this. As someone who beat the game within a day or so, I did not have hundreds of extra lives. I usually had 5 and then zero. Other than collecting 100 coins where do you get 1up handouts? If stuck on a challenge it is easy to lose 5 lives and then need to reset.

I am aware there are 1up toad houses but I could never win.

I just beat the Layer Cake Desert and I already have over 20 lives after just switching to Luigi. I get quite a bit of lives.

I'm really liking this game. It's fun and there is plenty of content.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not much of a fan of the art style or boring music and the controls aren't feeling any better. After just completing SMB3 and DKCTF, this feels vastly inferior in every single department. Mario Maker or 3D World can't come soon enough. Still itching for a good Mario game on Switch, Odyssey and NSMBUD aint it.