AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

A lot of new info on what Ana was doing during her time in Cairo as the legendary Bastet and her reunion with Solder 76.

This short story by Michael Chu also reveals more info on two characters. Specifically on one's sexual orientation and another's previous loved ones.

If you just want to know those two details check out the spoiler!
Soldier 76 had a relationship with a man named Vincent in the past before the fall of Overwatch. Reaper once had a family of his own.
spray-2.png

Link to the story

And a picture of the new Bastet epic skin available during the challenge.
DwVJh8TUUAAekcT.jpg:large

Video on the new Bastet challenge!

More info about the Twitch Promotion and available rewards are here:
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/ana-bastet-challenge

V4SQQFE3983D1546635682947.jpg

Stream Schedule:

Broadcaster Spotlight Date / Time Channel
Emongg January 8 (11:00 - 23:00 PST) twitch.tv/emongg
Mickie January 9 (16:00 - 22:00 PST) twitch.tv/mickiePP
Tyr0din January 10 (19:00 - 23:00 PST) twitch.tv/tyr0din
Fran January 11 (15:00 - 20:00 PST) twitch.tv/fran
Miro January 12 (03:00 - 09:00 PST) twitch.tv/miro_geng
Blue January 13 (00:00 - 08:00 PST) twitch.tv/overwatchblue
Noserino January 14 (07:00 - 15:00 PST) twitch.tv/noserino
RocketLive January 15 (14:00 - 21:00 PST) twitch.tv/rocketlive
Death March Gaming January 16 (08:00 - 12:00 PST) twitch.tv/deathmarchxiii
Kimjaewon January 17 (02:00 - 05:00 PST) twitch.tv/jaewon4915
Elspeth January 18 (14:00 - 18:00 PST) twitch.tv/elspeth
963Games January 19 (00:00 - 06:00 PST) twitch.tv/963games
Alphacast January 20 (11:00 - 15:00 PST) twitch.tv/alphacast
Aspen January 21 (09:00 - 16:00 PST) twitch.tv/aspen

Last edited:

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can say S76 right in the title, it's okay, friend.

Edit: I fell for the click-bait. Soldier 76's old boyfriend is married.

Edit 2: you should really feel ashamed for such a click-baity title, OP.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, that's cool I guess... but why is AAA gaming so afraid of gay men? Any time I see "OMG, guess what character in popular franchise X is gay!" I immediately know it'll be a woman.

Ah, who am I kidding. We all know what audience they're afraid of losing.

Edit: OMGeeeee I was wrong, Overwatch did a good thing! (OP was just the video with Ana's face when I posted.)

Last edited:

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I mean, that's cool I guess... but why is AAA gaming so afraid of gay men? Any time I see "OMG, guess what character in popular franchise X is gay!" I immediately know it'll be a woman.

I've not read it yet but the spoiler tag OP wrote implies it isn't Ana.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

Because, when a woman in games turns out to be a lesbian its like, "hot girl on girl action, bro!", But if a dude is gay it's like "eew, bro!"

Or at least that's the image of how gamers think that the industry at large has, and frankly with how certain segments of the gaming audience behave, it's not like they're entirely wrong.

But hey, Soldier turning out to be gay is cool.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Because, when a woman in games turns out to be a lesbian its like, "hot girl on girl action, bro!", But if a dude is gay it's like "eew, bro!"

Or at least that's the image of how gamers think that the industry at large has, and frankly with how certain segments of the gaming audience behave, it's not like they're entirely wrong.

But hey, Soldier turning out to be gay is cool.
I'm actually very pleased about this! But I didn't want to just blurt it out in the title so I left it ambiguous. That way people could read the story for themselves.

.....or they can just read the spoiler lol.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
That is super awesome! Tho I'm not looking forward to how the toxic side of the Overwatch community is going to behave. They were very shit when Tracer was revealed gay.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
They go so slow with these shorts and stories that I don't even care anymore, I stopped playing long ago as well.

The worst thing is that they're still not done with the backstory, It'll never move forward.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Momentarily thought it was a new story mode and got excited, but it's just a fucking short story... Ok Blizz whatever.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is super awesome! Tho I'm not looking forward to how the toxic side of the Overwatch community is going to behave. They were very shit when Tracer was revealed gay.

I thought she was Bi? Anyway, with a name like Bastet I thought it was about Pharah. I am pleasantly surprised.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine what would happen if a character was revealed to be transgendered.

There's a lot of reasons to love OW. The community is not one of them.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I really hated how the whole Tracer reveal went down (and that it was a character like Tracer, ugh) but I am all for gay daddy Jack.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
can blizzard come up with something else

more about the modern day in universe please

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
LORE!? IN 2019!?

Edit: Oh it's literally a short story, ha. One day we'll get Overwatch light novels

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Honestly quite surprised they chose him. The diversity in Overwatch is great, I wish more games would follow.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
They go so slow with these shorts and stories that I don't even care anymore, I stopped playing long ago as well.

The worst thing is that they're still not done with the backstory, It'll never move forward.

Due to the gameplay nature of the game, they cannot go forward, so the only thing they can do is add more to the characters' back stories.

Honestly quite surprised they chose him. The diversity in Overwatch is great, I wish more games would follow.

It's a relatively safe pick, mostly because he basically is a blank slate for it.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Is this actual Overwatch lore? In 2019? What?

Anyway, Ana keeps on having some of the best skins in the game. Fact.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
That isn't a might have had a homosexual relationship, he totally did. They're not even attempting to obscure it or anything. It's just right there in the story. Plain as day.

Oct 27, 2017

I imagine this won't be quite as bad. A lot of the Tracer hate seemed to stem from dudes pissed off that a fictional character wouldn't want to have sex with them because she was gay.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I really hated how the whole Tracer reveal went down (and that it was a character like Tracer, ugh) but I am all for gay daddy Jack.

Sorry, but can you clarify? What's bad about it being revealed in a comic (and how would that be any worse than a short story) and what does a "character like Tracer" mean?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Soldier 76? Booooring. Missed opportunity, could have had the first gay hamster character.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but can you clarify? What's bad about it being revealed in a comic (and how would that be any worse than a short story) and what does a "character like Tracer" mean?
I assume they mean it was a bit 🤔👀 that the sporty tomboy with a pixie cut was not straight rather than say, mercy or Mei who are less gay coded

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't the reveal itself more the preamble to the reveal being all "we got a gay character hehe who's it gonna be!" kinda ruining what could've been a surprise low-key reveal, and a character like Tracer means obnoxious waifu-bait whose only defining feature prior to that was controversy over her ass being prominently displayed in a pose. Trash character they shove everywhere.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It wasn't the reveal itself more the preamble to the reveal being all "we got a gay character hehe who's it gonna be!" kinda ruining what could've been a surprise low-key reveal, and a character like Tracer means obnoxious waifu-bait whose only defining feature prior to that was controversy over her ass being prominently displayed in a pose. Trash character.
*Seeing a female character only for her reer end, and some of her personality*

The only thing offensive is coming straight from your mouth.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine what would happen if a character was revealed to be transgendered.

There's a lot of reasons to love OW. The community is not one of them.
I keep hoping for a trans Overwatch character. Gaming is in serious need of transgender representation, Poison from Final Fight/Street Fighter needs more company.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't the reveal itself more the preamble to the reveal being all "we got a gay character hehe who's it gonna be!" kinda ruining what could've been a surprise low-key reveal, and a character like Tracer means obnoxious waifu-bait whose only defining feature prior to that was controversy over her ass being prominently displayed in a pose. Trash character.

They teased that there are multiple queer characters, but there wasn't a "build up" to the comic specifically. Really not sure what you're referencing.

And Tracer has as much backstory as the majority of the characters in Overwatch. Not sure why you're considering her trash.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

To be fair, they said controversy about her butt was the most significant thing about the character, not that they only saw her as a butt. Which is fairly true, Tracer is one of the least compelling characters in the roster.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I assume they mean it was a bit 🤔👀 that the sporty tomboy with a pixie cut was not straight rather than say, mercy or Mei who are less gay coded
Yeah the only one that could have been a worse, totally tone deaf choice would have been Zarya.

Still, I'm glad one of the most dudebro characters got chosen for this. Roadhog/Reinhardt next you cowards

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what I'm impressed.

Seems like 80% of the time a character is revealed to be gay it's a woman.

I don't have a problem with that I just wonder why men are less often gay in media I watch.

So props, this is cool to see.

Not the character I would have expected but hey.

The Reaper76 fans must be so conflicted.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
They teased that there are multiple queer characters, but there wasn't a "build up" to the comic specifically. Really not sure what you're referencing.

And Tracer has as much backstory as the majority of the characters in Overwatch. Not sure why you're considering her trash.
Not the comic specifically, more to the reveal of anyone. It was like, oh, of course it's Tracer, they ignore most of the cast in favour of her for marketing so why not add another thing to her one-ply toilet paper personality. She has like next to nothing going on for her in the backstory compared to a lot of other characters (like Jack) despite how much importance they place on her everywhere, just can't stand her, SORRY NOT SORRY.

Nah, it was more the internet seeing her for that, take ya toothless sense of offense elsewhere thanks.