I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I'll play it. Gameplay in the original had a bad rep which is why I never played it (did watch the story on YouTube though) and if that fixes it and adds some new story stuff I'm in.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know my stance and I WILL die on this hill

Oh, I understand where you're coming from and Square USA and Taro Yoko absolutely struck gold with Papa Nier, creating the greatest Sad Dad game of all time years before it became a trend. No matter how good this version up/remaster/remake/whatever ends up being, and my own wanting to play the other side of NieR to see how it ticks, I'm always going to miss Papa Nier. He's basically a big golden statue I can point to whenever I want to argue that Japanese games need to get away from their own tropes, because they created a character who looks like the American Breath of Fire boxart for us bloodthirsty Westerners and ended up making one of the softest and most compassionate men in all of games.

I just think Onii-chan Nier works more broadly as the main fixture of a game that parodies video games as a whole and RPGs in particular, due to the surrounding context of NieR's story, and I want to see how the greater emphasis on his relationship with Kaine and Emil works when he's their peer instead of someone explicitly out of their age range.

I am absolutely going to eat a baby if Weiss becomes the JRPG Old Man, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You remind me of something I've been wondering about, what's with that? Brother's vs Father's POV?

So basically NieR was released as two versions, one about a father and one about a brother. We only got the father version, and this re-release will be about the brother.

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
So basically NieR was released as two versions, one about a father and one about a brother. We only got the father version, and this re-release will be about the brother.
Ah, I see. As someone who never played the original, will I miss anything by only playing as the brother?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see. As someone who never played the original, will I miss anything by only playing as the brother?

Nope. What was added to the game with the protagonist switch was, in essence, a change in context and how we as the player viewed the game's world.

Papa Nier is certainly a fantastic character, however, as you can see from all the bemoaning his loss in this thread.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're probably adding that Grimoire Nier book canon ending into the game

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. What was added to the game with the protagonist switch was, in essence, a change in context and how we as the player viewed the game's world.

Papa Nier is certainly a fantastic character, however, as you can see from all the bemoaning his loss in this thread.
I see. Thank you for telling me :)

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
One of my big gripes with the game is that some important information just isn't found in the game itself.

It would be great if that was integrated into the game itself this time around.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be great if they could put the loads of lore into the game that was rather relevant for the game's theme, story and characters. One of my big gripes with the game is that some important information just isn't found in the game itself.

I'd like it if some of the lore stuff from Grimoire NIER was in, but I guess I can't really think of too many of it that's absolutely vital to understanding the game. It tells you everything you need to know and lets you infer the rest.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The camera work in the cutscenes is actually pretty good.

Just needs improved models hopefully, not sure if that is planned at all.

As for gameplay, besides rebalance and weapon / switch toggles, all they need is redo some animations and the game will be great. The original is super jank but a lot of fun.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The camera work in the cutscenes is actually pretty good.

Just needs improved models hopefully, not sure if that is planned at all.

As for gameplay, besides rebalance and weapon / switch toggles, all they need is redo some animations and the game will be great. The original is super jank but a lot of fun.

I'm iffy on the idea of improved models. NieR is not at all a pretty game but that helps sells the world's decline, and it'd be weird if everyone was a beautiful fashion model.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm iffy on the idea of improved models. NieR is not at all a pretty game but that helps sells the world's decline, and it'd be weird if everyone was a beautiful fashion model.

The characters dont really look bad in Replicant.

The worst offender is papa nier in gestalt.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, papa niers character model is awful. He actually looks pretty cool on the games cover but uh....sometimes that doesn't translate. His voice actor did a good job though and i'll miss him.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The characters dont really look bad in Replicant.

The worst offender is papa nier in gestalt.

You know how the Xenoblade remake is giving the whole game a facelift more in line with Xenoblade 2 and Xenogears? I don't want that for NieR. It works there because Xenoblade was just limited by technology, but NieR absolutely sold itself on its desolate and dying world.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You know how the Xenoblade remake is giving the whole game a facelift more in line with Xenoblade 2 and Xenogears? I don't want that for NieR. It works there because Xenoblade was just limited by technology, but NieR absolutely sold itself on its desolate and dying world.

It absolutely does not work for xenoblade, for the record. They took away all their personalities.
It's so bland now.

That's not what would happen with Nier because like I said, the models are fine. They just need tweaks for HD and some facial features textures. Not a total do over.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It absolutely does not work for xenoblade, for the record. They took away all their personalities.
It's so bland now.

That's not what would happen with Nier because like I said, the models are fine. They just need tweaks for HD and some facial features textures. Not a total do over.

First off I really, really disagree with your XC1 comment. Looks waaay better and with more personality now.

But in general I agree with you, Nier doesnt need what XC1 got. It just need a better looking world. And you can look better while keeping the desolate feeling.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Never played this so Im there 😁 Day 1. Not like with Automata, I waited 3 years to play it

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nier with better gameplay, possibly a new ending and (hopefully) a streamlined way to reach the final endings is automatically GOTG.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Nice. Seems like it a remaster made by people actually caring.
I have OG Nier but the gameplay was eh, w&s for more informations about this part.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original with updated gameplay is better than Automata by default.

The original was better in almost every way except for gameplay.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Also to follow up from the write up here: https://gamestalk.net/post-142844/

The camerawork comment specifically is in regards to the cutscenes.
  • イベント時のカメラワークは同じなので、ゲームの体験としてはリマスターという感じ。
The event scene camera work is going to be the same, so on that end the game experience will feel like a remaster.

As for the action:
オリジナルの少しもっさりしたアクションにも味わいがあるが、ネガティブな気持ちを抱く人がいるなら変えるべき。オートマタのファンが気持ちよく遊べないと駄目。

The clumsy action had its own charm to it, but it should be adjusted if people aren't crazy about it. They want Automata fans to be able to play this and not feel like it sucks, basically. To that end, Taura is going to be checking over the action component and helping out. It doesn't seem like Platinum as a whole company is on development duty or anything like that, just that Taura himself was brought in, especially because he's a huge fan of the original.

Nowhere in this blog entry at least does it mention a new ending. They just say that they're putting a lot into the new stuff they're adding.

Yep. Even with my limited Japanese knowledge I could see it was a gross mistranslation saying PG are "way more involved" and there was going to be "significant changes to making it just like Automata".

What are you, insecure or something? We are getting a NieR remaster and plenty to people will be experiencing it for the first time. That can only be a good thing

I predict 90% of Automata fans are gonna hate it or shit on it when it's out for not being like Automata.

From a purely mechanical standpoint there's a lot more wrong with NieR than Automata.

I'm that weird bridge troll that wants things to be polished rather than outright changed, but I get it.

I'm not saying NieR is perfect or anything, far from it (it's flawed), but it's not like it's like it's anywhere near as other flawed games I love like Deadly Premonition or Drakengard 1. People love to exaggerate on here to the nth degree over its flaws, the combat is perfectly serviceable as is, not complete shit.

Last edited:

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Maybe they plan on actually explaining and ending the story within the game itself instead of forcing the player to read an untranslated companion book.

Shazam

Dec 24, 2017
can't wait for it to come out and be a meta remaster that unpacks remasters. i'm here for it all

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying NieR is perfect or anything, far from it (it's flawed), but it's not like it's like it's anywhere near as other flawed games I love like Deadly Premonition or Drakengard 1. People love to exaggerate on here to the nth degree over its flaws, the combat is perfectly serviceable as is, not complete shit.
I agree about that, I don't really get the complaints so much. I had no issues with the combat when I originally played it. The game had a particular budget, which was noticeable, especially in the maps, but it was a solid package. Tweaks are good and necessary but the complaints are exaggerated

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
seeing as were sadly not getting Jamieson Price I hope they bring back Liam O'Brien and Laura Bailey

Comparison to the Original

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I'd like to see some "before and after" comparisons.

These are the respective areas in the original (with youtube compression mind you)
Except for the junkyard, which is quite strongly redesigned it seems

hznOU4Q.png

DjFpZWd.png

3bohzRe.png

CYtguJk.png

U6UTt0P.png

5ZQgsLG.png

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These are the respective areas in the original (with youtube compression mind you)
Except for the junkyard, which is quite strongly redesigned it seems

zRNvh76.png

iKpyoxT.png

hznOU4Q.png

DjFpZWd.png

3bohzRe.png

CYtguJk.png

U6UTt0P.png

5ZQgsLG.png

4w0JeA8.png

Ua2We8S.png
That's actually pretty substantial. The last two screenshots in particular really show how the lighting got touched up.

ubercheez

Oct 27, 2017
Well hot damn, I was already on board for yet another playthrough just for the Brother Nier perspective, but this is even better! Excitement building.

I'm interested to see what the voice acting changes/additions are. I hope they leave Weiss and Kaine alone though -- those two were perfect. WEISS, YOU DUMBASS!