• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped all xbooks aside from immortal. I don't feel like it anymore. This last run Xmen was completely underwhelming and ended on a stupid note/reveal about Essex. I don't think the stories for this next team will be any better.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
What are Jubilee, Cable, and Psylocke doing, are they still kicking around somewhere? I've been out of the loop with X Men for so long, they just have a big party to decide the team? Prof X has nothing to do with it or like there's nobody who has the final say?

Professor X and the Council saw no need for an "X-men" team since mutants in the Krakoan era are largely separationists who don't interact with humanity more than necessary.

The current "X-men" team was Jean and Scott's idea after deciding that mutants still needed to act as champions/defenders of the rest of the planet's population, but the membership would be a collective vote. (Note that the 12 member council is NOT decided that way).

This is the second year for it and it keeps the rotation fresh without a contrived reason, but Marvel Time being what it is, an "every year" schedule for it isn't sustainable.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I dropped all xbooks aside from immortal. I don't feel like it anymore. This last run Xmen was completely underwhelming and ended on a stupid note/reveal about Essex. I don't think the stories for this next team will be any better.

You mean the Doctor Stasis thing? That one is awesome

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
didn't synch die in generation x back in the 90s

The X-men have "solved" death and can easily resurrect any mutant at any time.

Humanity just found out about this and is desperate to exploit it for themselves, which is a big part of the plot of the Hellfire Gala issue.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Depends, we talking about the same book and character? I can dig the book up again. They even called him by his name. I understand it's not the Sinister we know but, really?

Whoever THAT is claims he's Nathaniel Essex, not Mister Sinister. Every "mister sinister" we've seen up until now has a diamond on his forehead. Stasis doesn't, its an ace of clubs.

You read Immortal Xmen this week? Sinister FREAKED OUT when he saw that, and explicitly says its so obvious even Colossus has figured it out by now. There are "Two more" (spade, heart) and even with resetting the timeline a million times already he hasn't ever seen this.

So what the hell is it? Where are the other two? And they likely ALL think they're Nathaniel Essex, meaning none of them are.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever THAT is claims he's Nathaniel Essex, not Mister Sinister. Every "mister sinister" we've seen up until now has a diamond on his forehead. Stasis doesn't, its an ace of clubs.

You read Immortal Xmen this week? Sinister FREAKED OUT when he saw that, and explicitly says its so obvious even Colossus has figured it out by now. There are "Two more" (spade, heart) and even with resetting the timeline a million times already he hasn't ever seen this.

So what the hell is it? Where are the other two?

I don't find that compelling at all.

You sound like the comic book guy trying to keep me from dropping the books. Sometimes it works 😂.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't find that compelling at all.

You sound like the comic book guy trying to keep me from dropping the books. Sometimes it works 😂.

To each his own. Not going to sell you on reading any more than you already have, but from my end the books are way better than they have been in a good while.

Edit: i also read Fantastic Four this week. THAT one was written so badly in comparison to where the Xmen are that i thought it was a parody book at first.

The Eternals should make interesting antagonists through AXE while this plays out regardless. I was thinking to myself earlier that THEIR retcon has them behaving a lot more like machines than humanity, which tracks well given that AI/Machines are the X-men's biggest antagonists going forward.

Last edited:

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
To each his own. Not going to sell you on reading any more than you already have, but from my end the books are way better than they have been in a good while.

The Eternals should make interesting antagonists through AXE while this plays out regardless. I was thinking to myself earlier that THEIR retcon has them behaving a lot more like machines than humanity, which tracks well given that AI/Machines are the X-men's biggest antagonists going forward.

Different strokes. I respect that. If things turn around for me and the stories. There is always trades.

I always liked the idea of AI being the escalation of humanity in response to mutants. Just don't like it being Nimrod.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Angela is going to be holding a grudge at Bobby for dragging her into this, and he's the only major mutant she is actually friends with. Things are going to be prickly, especially since well, I've never seen how they've messed with her powers lately, Slayven how likely are they to cause issues in this lineup considering how several members are energy or tech based and her powerset is radiation at its core? Like sure Bobby is an offset on the fire element part, but don't Cyclop's and Havok's charge up mechanisms still have ties to Solar radiation? Feels like there could be a bad combo accident waiting to happen. Like overcharge or burnout
Also the whole she's an outsider who was asked to spy thing.
Nah they worked out her cancer/control issues in Avengers

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Stephen Strange died and his wife took up the mantle while she tries to find viable ways to resurrect him.

She found out that mutants solved death and thought demanding Emma would get them to do the same for him.
Is Midnight's Fire and the rest of the folding circle back?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Different strokes. I respect that. If things turn around for me and the stories. There is always trades.

I always liked the idea of AI being the escalation of humanity in response to mutants. Just don't like it being Nimrod.

Its going to be the phalanx sooner rather than later, though Nimrod is still going to be the big threat.

1.) the Moira that killed Wolverine in X-lives (before he got sent back) infected him with transmode virus when she attacked him. This is the only timeline we've seen the machines carrying it.

2.) last time we saw Nimrod (in Legion of X) he had murdered warlock's father Magus somewhere out in deep space for unknown reasons.

3.) Abigail Brand (who is a traitor working for Orchis) set up SWORD on Mars, killing Cable for the express purpose of stealing his T/O infected flesh to figure out how he controlled and stabilized that infection.

The machines are trying to figure out how to control and weaponize the phalanx, or at least that infection they spread.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Professor X and the Council saw no need for an "X-men" team since mutants in the Krakoan era are largely separationists who don't interact with humanity more than necessary.

The current "X-men" team was Jean and Scott's idea after deciding that mutants still needed to act as champions/defenders of the rest of the planet's population, but the membership would be a collective vote. (Note that the 12 member council is NOT decided that way).

This is the second year for it and it keeps the rotation fresh without a contrived reason, but Marvel Time being what it is, an "every year" schedule for it isn't sustainable.

Also: the Quiet Council are explicitly barred from membership in the X-Men, since Scott and Jean wanted them to be independent from the will of the council (with Jean giving up her seat on the council to make this point), so as of right now the following mutants are ineligible for membership: Xavier, Destiny, Hope Summers, Exodus, Mystique, Mr. Sinister, Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus, Sebastian Shaw, Emma Frost, Kate Pryde.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Also: the Quiet Council are explicitly barred from membership in the X-Men, since Scott and Jean wanted them to be independent from the will of the council (with Jean giving up her seat on the council to make this point), so as of right now the following mutants are ineligible for membership: Xavier, Destiny, Hope Summers, Exodus, Mystique, Mr. Sinister, Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus, Sebastian Shaw, Emma Frost, Kate Pryde.

This is true, though council membership doesn't bar anybody from holding a spot on any other team NOT labeled as "X-men" of which there is no shortage.

Nightcrawler is on Legion of X, Storm established the "brotherhood" on Mars, and Pryde is hanging out on Marauders.

Making things weirder Krakoa's war captains answer directly to Council, and two of them (Cyclops, Magik) are on the X-men roster.

As far as independence goes I'm not sure that's meaningful.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been reading this stuff in ages. If they're doing these roster changes yearly, does that mean it happens every 12 issues, or is it double shipping, or done in different books?

Zaverious

Oct 25, 2017
There was a data page in Hickman's X-Men run that was meta in a way regarding the X-Men concept itself. The council didn't want a celebrated group that goes above the government all the time. The X-Men represent all mutants whether they like it or not and the name itself is interchanged with the word "mutant" anyway. It causes problems in the long run. Technically the Legionnaires and Marauders serve different purposes for the government so it's ok for them I guess. Not like they're as well known as the X-Men.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
What are Jubilee, Cable, and Psylocke doing, are they still kicking around somewhere? I've been out of the loop with X Men for so long, they just have a big party to decide the team? Prof X has nothing to do with it or like there's nobody who has the final say?

Jubilee is going to be in a miniseries called "X-Terminators" with Dazzler, Boom Boom and Wolverine II (Laura) that's described as a night out partying goes wrong and turns grindhouse.

Cable is part of X-Men: Red, a book about the politics of Mars, which has recently been colonized by mutants as a home for an ancient tribe of mutants who had been trapped in a demonic universe for millennia. Storm, Magneto and Sunspot are the main characters, opposed by Abigail Brand. Cable is part of Brand's team, but working toward his own ends.

Psylocke is a bit more complicated. The body swap has been undone, so Psylocke is now two characters. Betsy Braddock has taken over the title of Captain Britain after Brian stepped down, and she leads the Knights of X on a quest in Otherworld. Kwannon has taken over the mantle of Psylocke, and is a member of the Marauders, a team led by Kate Pryde for the purpose of rescuing mutants who are being blocked from coming to Krakoa. Kwannon had previously been the "Rick Flag" of the Hellions, who were basically a mutant Suicide Squad.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. Krakoa solved that whole dying problem. The problem with Sync now is he is one of the most experienced and mentally oldest mutants on the island, yet, he's still learning how to use his powers? 🤷🏿‍♂️
what happened to skin did they bring him back to life? what happened to all that trauma jubilee had because of his death, was she like cool welcome back?

are synch snd m still a together. is m still bishops grandmother?

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
what happened to skin did they bring him back to life? what happened to all that trauma jubilee had because of his death, was she like cool welcome back?

Skin hasn't been featured, but he's presumably back.

Synch and M aren't together. Synch had a centuries long romance with Wolverine (Laura) on a mission to the vault (a pocket dimension where time flows faster to speed develop human weapons) , but since he was the only member to survive long enough to escape the vault and get his memories backed up, she doesn't remember it and he does.

M was never confirmed to be related to Bishop, so that's still in the "implied but not official" territory, along with the possibility of him being related to Storm. His only modern day relative to be confirmed is that he's a descendent of Gateway.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think I have seen Skin yet.

Krakoa is literally about new beginnings and healing from past traumas and grievances. So no it's not mentioned. She's a mom now to a magical dragon baby, so she ain't got time for that.

No. Sync had a thing with Laura Wolverine in the vault. It was the only interesting story in the run so far for me.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the update. I was always a big gen x fan, so its weird that skin hasnt been seen. His death had a same type of impact as synchs death. It seems every original core gen x memeber has been mentioned or part of team, except for skin.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The preview art for the next X-Men issue seems to show everyone in the same uniforms they've been wearing , including Firestar in her Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends costume, but there's also a variant cover with a new design for Angelica:

xmen2021013_design_variant.jpg

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Skin was resurrected along with Synch. There was a data page that said they did this to help mutants who had been dead for a long time have someone they know come back alongside them so they wouldn't feel overwhelmed and alone.

I think I remember him showing up once in some issue recently. Could have even been a scene on the island at the bar or something.

The Gen X team also had a reunion in a panel in last years Gala.

Hellfire-Gala-Generation-X-Monet-Synch.jpg

FKDPkSkXMAIcyJa

Last edited:

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017

Skin hasn't been featured, but he's presumably back.

Synch and M aren't together. Synch had a centuries long romance with Wolverine (Laura) on a mission to the vault (a pocket dimension where time flows faster to speed develop human weapons) , but since he was the only member to survive long enough to escape the vault and get his memories backed up, she doesn't remember it and he does.

M was never confirmed to be related to Bishop, so that's still in the "implied but not official" territory, along with the possibility of him being related to Storm. His only modern day relative to be confirmed is that he's a descendent of Gateway.

I don't think I have seen Skin yet.

Krakoa is literally about new beginnings and healing from past traumas and grievances. So no it's not mentioned. She's a mom now to a magical dragon baby, so she ain't got time for that.

No. Sync had a thing with Laura Wolverine in the vault. It was the only interesting story in the run so far for me.

he was in Sabertooth comics in the background ordering a drink at Blob's bar
youtu.be

The Reason Sabretooth Was Right About Krakoa (Sabretooth #4)

🔴 Don’t forget to Hulk Smash that LIKE button 👍🏿 and SUBSCRIBE ⚡🔴 Want more? Become a member and get access to exclusive videos like the Top 5 Comics of ...

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That one, hate it. The boob window and zettai ryōiki kill it. Really glad they aren't using it in that Midnight Suns game. At least not as her default outfit.
Well.............thats an opinion, I guess.

Her midnight Suns "team" outfit is frikken wack, i bet a bunch of people dont even recognize her.
And all her variant costumes ive seen so far are so uninspiring you'd think shes the create-a-character character.
I pray her default isnt that "random white girl in denim jacket" shit they showed off.
firaxis-reveals-marvels-midnight-suns-a-tactical-rpg-thats-less-xcom-than-you-might-think-1629915634088.jpg

The longer they keep her in it and its variants, the better.
I do wonder if she'll get a redesign after judgement.......Ill collect the covers while i can.
jeehyung-lee-marvel-magik.jpg

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Well.............thats an opinion, I guess.

Her midnight Suns "team" outfit is frikken wack, i bet a bunch of people dont even recognize her.
And all her variant costumes ive seen so far are so uninspiring you'd think shes the create-a-character character.
I pray her default isnt that "random white girl in denim jacket" shit they showed off.
firaxis-reveals-marvels-midnight-suns-a-tactical-rpg-thats-less-xcom-than-you-might-think-1629915634088.jpg

The longer they keep her in it and its variants, the better.
I do wonder if she'll get a redesign after judgement.......Ill collect the covers while i can.

Is Magik supposed to be second from the left? Yeah I wouldn't have guessed she was in that photo if you hadn't said anything. That looks more like Hela's tiara.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Jubilee is going to be in a miniseries called "X-Terminators" with Dazzler, Boom Boom and Wolverine II (Laura) that's described as a night out partying goes wrong and turns grindhouse.

Cable is part of X-Men: Red, a book about the politics of Mars, which has recently been colonized by mutants as a home for an ancient tribe of mutants who had been trapped in a demonic universe for millennia. Storm, Magneto and Sunspot are the main characters, opposed by Abigail Brand. Cable is part of Brand's team, but working toward his own ends.

Psylocke is a bit more complicated. The body swap has been undone, so Psylocke is now two characters. Betsy Braddock has taken over the title of Captain Britain after Brian stepped down, and she leads the Knights of X on a quest in Otherworld. Kwannon has taken over the mantle of Psylocke, and is a member of the Marauders, a team led by Kate Pryde for the purpose of rescuing mutants who are being blocked from coming to Krakoa. Kwannon had previously been the "Rick Flag" of the Hellions, who were basically a mutant Suicide Squad.
Thanks Sam! X-Men Red sounds pretty neat actually, think I might check it out, is it worth a read? And Jubilee definitely fits with Boom Boom and Dazzler haha, that is a team that makes sense

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
We really don't know what the whole essex reveal mean, but I can totally relate to what you are feelling. Even though the stories are much better than what I expected, the overal feeling is quite silly and lack momentum. Gerry Duggan didn't drop the ball as hard as he had when took Uncanny Avengers from Rick Remender (that was a wild tone change), but he's nowhere near what Hickman was setting before. I sincerily think both Duggan and Ben Percy are good writers but not a good fit to be on the forefront of something like the X-books. Books like Immortal and Red seem much better in tone, planning and executio than X-Force and X-Men