• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's amazing how many people seem to have this smug vindication that they still feel the same about the game even after the new trailer. Who gives a shit? Don't buy it? Obviously there are many of us who are on board. Are we supposed to acknowledge your pain about why YOU think it sucks and is a rip off or a rehash? I really don't give a shit what you think really. If you don't see the value in this, by all means don't buy it or wait until it goes on sale? It's pretty easy. There are so many other games to throw your money at.
Thank you for participating on a forum. Is this your first time?

Jul 1, 2020
I may pick it up on sale when I want to play the series again. I don't think it's worth $70 or even $60 when I've bought the game twice already.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
You want to quarantine negativity on a video game forum?

Lmao on era no less, a place where you'd see countless drive bys and low effort posts calling everything from a GENRE they don't like as shit dated trash. But god forbid they see negative or critical posts directed at their first party studio and it's time to ban discussion!

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
True, but I don't think any of those games got months of persistent concern posts. I feel like we're on the third wave of this specific release getting dunked on, and this thread is already 1,200 posts deep, y'know what I'm saying?

I also think you can objectively observe that much more elbow grease went into TLOU1 PS5 than something like Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Skyward Sword, or Tropical Freeze Switch. Those were all no-frills ports. This clearly isn't.

If the impulse is to seek out some console war-y explanation for this, I'd say that ain't it.

TLOU remake has a number of things that make it conducive to backlash (although I recall all those games getting a lot of backlash, too): the $70 price tag is something people have been grinding gears over long before we knew the remake existed, and the remake speaks to that in its own way; TLOU1 is super accessible on modern hardware, such that it and its remake will be coexisting to a degree that is unique (which is actually cool, of course); the existence of this thing was communicated through leaks, and then finally through an odd presentation at SGF, and then just now we got our first in-depth look, and precisely what it is has been up in the air through most of that process; most subjectively of all, there is a dynamic at play where the nature of the remake's changes/additions/improvements simply might not hit for some people, given that TLOU1 still looks incredible, that the whole art direction has been altered, and that TLOU2 has shifted expectations for what reads as a high fidelity take on that world/those characters.

Just looking at ports, remasters, remakes in general, you can ask why so many of them get people less critically excited even when they're pretty basic, but the general thrust is that it's just cool to be given the opportunity to play a old gem, polished up to some degree, on current systems. The context around TLOU1 remake is conducive to breaking that spell, basically. The observation that its had more work put into it than most remasters/remakes doesn't really speak to that.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every single $60 WiiU remaster has gotten heavily criticized. Just off the top of my head, Tropical Freeze, Skyward Sword, and Super Mario 3D All-Stars were all blasted on this forum.
Tropical Freeze and Skyward Sword didn't get that much criticism considering they were brought off a dead system, Super Mario 3D all-Stars did because it was a shitty port with barely any upgrades and deserved all the criticism it got because it should have been so much better.

The criticisms this is getting would still exist if the price was lower and they are frankly alot of bs arguments against the game existing. I definitely think the price of this should be lower but It seems there's a bunch of good upgrades for this.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
My only opinion on this game is that it looks great and I can't wait to play it, and also can't wait to one day have a discussion thread that isn't just about relitigating whether it's worth it, necessary, a scam or whatever nonsense, over and over.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Just watched the video on my 83A90J. Fuck me sideways the graphics and details are absolutely insane. Cannot wait to experience the story in a completely new light.

You really will have to see thus on a big screen to appreciate all the work that has gone into it, I think many are just looking at it on their phones.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Lmao on era no less, a place where you'd see countless drive bys and low effort posts calling everything from a GENRE they don't like as shit dated trash. But god forbid they see negative or critical posts directed at their first party studio and it's time to ban discussion!

It's absolutely fine to have an opinion about something, but when that becomes the sole talking point of the discussion it starts taking away from anything else. That's the problem. I get that people don't like the price or are not convinced of it's value, but how many times do we have to say the same shit before we can move on? In these situations, I think it would be better served to have a separate thread for these concerns specifically. I don't think this is a case of the Sony/ND defense force getting mad. I think that many of us are just fans of the game and are okay with some of the things you are not okay with. Like someone else mentioned, if this were Bloodborne for example, some of those same people that had a problem with this game would be gushing about anything FROM touches. The value of TLOU is not the same for everyone. The thing that baffles me is that the people that want nothing to do with this are the most vocal about it. If you don't care, then why do you care so much?

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
The game was billed as a remake and not remaster which to me, falls under two desperate categories. This feels more like a remaster of a remaster. When I think of remakes I think a revisioning of art design, levels, animation, gameplay, and maybe larger changes to cinematics and story beats (like FFR, RE series etc) Demon souls straddles that line between remake and remaster imo.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Amazing as always from Naughty Dog - bit disappointed by several of the gameplay movement features not carrying over from TLOU Part 2, though. Probably the best feeling TPS I have ever played and looks like it might remain that way

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Why are people getting so hung up on remake of remaster when naughty dog is not using either of those terms in the title? It is The Last Of Us Part 1. It's made to be the best version people can play and flow nicely into part 2.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Why are people getting so hung up on remake of remaster when naughty dog is not using either of those terms in the title? It is The Last Of Us Part 1. It's made to be the best version people can play and flow nicely into part 2.

Probably because in their marketing they keep using "rebuilt" which isn't either but, you know, implies something

Aug 12, 2019
This is like the third 1000+ post thread largely bashing the pricing. The outrage is on an entirely different level.

It's really not if you've spent any time around Nintendo fans who have set fire to threads, forums, Twitter, etc. over several of Nintendo's ports in the past 5 years of the Switch being out. 3D All Stars in particular got absolutely rocked for being an awful collection at $60 with a timed release that pissed literally everyone off, even the people who bought and enjoyed said game. Tropical Freeze releasing at $60 when it released at $50 on Wii U still absolutely makes people livid to this day. And these are all for games you could never play on Switch or portable, and even fewer people had played when it came to the Wii U titles, and they still got that level of vitriol. The anger was real and present regardless of how much you paid attention to it (and I'd argue a lot of the anger wasn't as seen on ERA, where Nintendo fans I think are maybe a little less common than Sony fans).

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely fine to have an opinion about something, but when that becomes the sole talking point of the discussion it starts taking away from anything else. That's the problem. I get that people don't like the price or are not convinced of it's value, but how many times do we have to say the same shit before we can move on? In these situations, I think it would be better served to have a separate thread for these concerns specifically. I don't think this is a case of the Sony/ND defense force protecting their precious game. I think that many of us are just fans of the game and are okay the things that some of you are not okay with. Like someone else mentioned, if this were Bloodborne for example, some of those same people that had a problem with this game would be gushing about anything FROM touches. The value of TLOU is not the same for everyone. The thing that baffles me is that the people that want nothing to do with this are the most vocal about it. If you don't care, then why do you care so much?

Couple of reasons, one of which is that the $70 price tag in general caused a shitstorm in gaming circle because it translate to more than $100 in many regions. And though we can have a conversation about that aspect, I think it'll naturally piss a lot of people off when the game in question isn't something built from the ground up like Resi 2, when you have examples like the upcoming Witcher 3 remaster being offered as a free upgrade to owners, whereas TLOU remake with its missing MP content is being priced at a super premium. Understandabley, some will be more than fine with this but some wouldn't. This is also isn't Sony's first rodeo with a pricing fiasco.

Now if you're gonna use Bloodborne as an example, well many are actually desperate for a remaster of that game because of performance and resolution enhancements that were never offered, but still I'm certain if that ever happens without an "upgrade path" option that thread would be full of complaints of greed and of course, the dreaded "easy mode" discussion.

Point is, we'll always have a discussion on value and pricing when it comes to "rereleases" such as these, and this case there IS plenty there to criticize about this remake and people will moan and voice their opinions, and in between you'll always get the usual console wary posts that found an opportunity, this isn't exclusive to Sony's studios. I've seen threads of people complaining about $60 new games not looking next gen enough. It's a gaming forum, for every "scam! Won't buy!" post there's another claiming it's a "bargain!".

Edit: I also wanna had, from the posts I've seen in both threads there's apparently a dev on the game who said something like this is the most ambitious gaming project they've seen or worked in?! Like really? A remaster remake?! Things like this will just piss people off.

Last edited:

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Really? Can't remember it happen even once In any of my playthroughs
Happened several times across several playthroughs for me. Most notable memories of this happening were during the encounter where Joel gives Ellie the rifle, as well as the sniper sequence.

I think the issue then was the old school thing of once one enemy saw you, they all were immediately alerted to your location. Pretty sure in Part II they moreso respond to what their allies say/where they hear gunfire coming from rather than just immediately going to you.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Man, the OST is still as good as it was when it was first released. Santaolalla did a tremendous job with it.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I think this looks great, but I already bought TLoU twice and I'm not going to pay full price for it again. Happy to wait for a sale.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
The game was billed as a remake and not remaster which to me, falls under two desperate categories. This feels more like a remaster of a remaster. When I think of remakes I think a revisioning of art design, levels, animation, gameplay, and maybe larger changes to cinematics and story beats (like FFR, RE series etc) Demon souls straddles that line between remake and remaster imo.

You're thinking of a reimagining.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I watched the video again.

So essentially they are making part 1 to be what TLOU part 2 is in terms of technology. They even said it looks the same and in some ways better.

So if that is true, how is this marketed as rebuilt for ps5? Haptics? 3d audio? That stuff could be added in without issue. It's minor details vs the raw power the ps5 has in order to make this remaster potentially jaw dropping.

My take is that this remake would run identical to TLOU part 2 if it was released on ps4. So they are giving us a ps4 quality remaster with a patch for added fps. The same as the ps5 patch does on TLOU part 2.

Hard pass.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Meh, it looks pretty, but it plays the same as the other 9 year old game.
80 euros for this is ridiculous.
I'll wait for it to hit the PS+.

Also I find it funny how they kept referencing that visually this is what they had in mind 10 years ago when they made it, but they were limited by the technology, but dont talk about how the actual gameplay and level design was also limited to the technology, but that part they saw no need to change.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I watched the video again.

So essentially they are making part 1 to be what TLOU part 2 is in terms of technology. They even said it looks the same and in some ways better.

So if that is true, how is this marketed as rebuilt for ps5? Haptics? 3d audio? That stuff could be added in without issue. It's minor details vs the raw power the ps5 has in order to make this remaster potentially jaw dropping.

My take is that this remake would run identical to TLOU part 2 if it was released on ps4. So they are giving us a ps4 quality remaster with a patch for added fps. The same as the ps5 patch does on TLOU part 2.

Hard pass.
I think lighting might be better and AI/Physics are better compared to 2. Now does that qualify enough to be considered as "built from the ground up for the ps5" I don't know.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
They had this in production for some time, but they definitely fast tracked it after the leak for damage control. That's in fact how it works, we had an thread of people who worked in game's marketing that had leaked before and it all boils down to the same: Leaks destroys marketing planning and they are forced to redo their entire schedule to damage control the situation.

True, it was no doubt fast-tracked thanks to the leak, which ironically means the only people associated with the game that experienced crunch were on the video team.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If someone is questioning why this exists...it isn't for you. No matter how big a fan you are of the series. There's a whole slew of people younger than you, into gaming that this is made for. Your old ass can wait for part 3 or whatever. So can my old ass.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely fine to have an opinion about something, but when that becomes the sole talking point of the discussion it starts taking away from anything else. That's the problem. I get that people don't like the price or are not convinced of it's value, but how many times do we have to say the same shit before we can move on?
If it becomes the only talking point, it is because it is considered an important point of contention. Is the first time ND showed gameplay, so of course people are going to mention the price when the game it is not as "rebuilt" as it was infered by the combination of ND comments + the price.
In these situations, I think it would be better served to have a separate thread for these concerns specifically. I don't think this is a case of the Sony/ND defense force getting mad. I think that many of us are just fans of the game and are okay with some of the things you are not okay with.
Oh, they were mad alright, and that is why the other thread went to shit. Until that point, some people were praising the graphics, others where confused by the gameplay being the same (or similar), and there were a bunch of different, reasonable opinions. But then the crying started.
Like someone else mentioned, if this were Bloodborne for example, some of those same people that had a problem with this game would be gushing about anything FROM touches.
Bloodborne would be more justified just for the fact that the game is still 1080p and not even stable 30fps (framepacing galore), so it would benefit more from a facelift. Meanwhile you can play the already revised version of TLOU right now, and at 60fps if you want.

And just to be clear, as much as i liked that game, i wouldn't pay 80€ for a Bloodborne Remaster / Remake either.
The value of TLOU is not the same for everyone. The thing that baffles me is that the people that want nothing to do with this are the most vocal about it. If you don't care, then why do you care so much?
Nor is the value of Bloodborne (now that you mention it), or anything really. And you don't know if they care or not, don't confuse critical thinking with disinsterest (or this one of those "only those who consume are real fans"?).

---

Now let me ask you something: why is the criticism of the price, given the context, any different from people saying time and time again "it is the best game ever and i will buy it day one"? Why do you feel the need to acknowledge one and not the other? Because they are the same to me and you dont have to engage with either if you dont want to, and that is where the root of the problem lies: some are taking it personal, which is fucking absurd.

You like it and you want to buy it? Great. You don't for whatever reason? Also great. They are both perfectly valid opinions to post in a forum, but if you (not you in particular) only want positive opinions about something (criticizing the price of a game it is not being negative btw), then you don't want a forum, you want an echo chamber, and even if that is the case, you have many tools to ignore what you like to call with that word that starts with a t.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Edit: I also wanna had, from the posts I've seen in both threads there's apparently a dev on the game who said something like this is the most ambitious gaming project they've seen or worked in?! Like really? A remaster remake?! Things like this will just piss people off.

Well maybe there is more to this than what a brief glimpse can properly convey? ND is a very highly regarded studio which makes quality gaming experiences. You'd figure on that merit alone, most people would give them the benefit of the doubt. So maybe, until they give us a reason not to trust them, have some faith that this is going to be something worthwhile. I have zero reason to feel it won't be. Once previews and reviews start dropping, I think that would be the time to grab your pitchforks. Right now it just sounds like a bunch of premature outrage.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
If someone got mad at that statement then they should get some fresh air.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Outrageous price aside (which should be indefensible, and yet), it's clear why they did this "remake": to promote the HBO series.
They could've waited a few years and make a complete overhaul, but nope. This game needs to be released in this time frame.
And judging by all the people in this very thread ready to go D1, I can't really blame Naughty Dog.
Hell, I can't blame Nintendo, whose practices are even worse.
The fault, as always, resides in those who enable them. The consumers.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I think you'd struggle to improve the AI
The Last of Us Part 1 |OT| You See That Car? You Can't Crawl Under It
loooooool

Because it is a PS4 game...
So? It's only 2 years younger than the original TLoU1, it wasn't a technical marvel and it's stuck at (sometimes sub-)30 fps, while the TLoU1 remaster was at 60fps. People have been begging for a remaster for Bloodborne for ages, they aren't comparable really.

how many times do we have to say the same shit before we can move on?
Maybe listen to your own advice.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
If it becomes the only talking point, it is because it is considered an important point of contention. Is the first time ND showed gameplay, so of course people are going to mention the price when the game it is not as "rebuilt" as it was infered by the combination of ND comments + the price.

Oh, they were mad alright, and that is why the other thread went to shit. Until that point, some people were praising the graphics, others where confused by the gameplay being the same (or similar), and there were a bunch of different, reasonable opinions. But then the crying started.

Bloodborne would be more justified just for the fact that the game is still 1080p and not even stable 30fps (framepacing galore), so it would benefit more from a facelift. Meanwhile you can play the already revised version of TLOU right now, and at 60fps if you want.

And just to be clear, as much as i liked that game, i wouldn't pay 80€ for a Bloodborne Remaster / Remake either.

Nor is the value of Bloodborne (now that you mention it), or anything really. And you don't know if they care or not, don't confuse critical thinking with disinsterest (or this one of those "only those who consume are real fans"?).

---

Now let me ask you something: why is the criticism of the price, given the context, any different from people saying time and time again "it is the best game ever and i will buy it day one"? Why do you feel the need to acknowledge one and not the other? Because they are the same to me and you dont have to engage with either if you dont want to, and that is where the root of the problem lies: some are taking it personal, which is fucking absurd.

You like it and you want to buy it? Great. You don't for whatever reason? Also great. They are both perfectly valid opinions to post in a forum, but if you (not you in particular) only want positive opinions about something (criticizing the price of a game it is not being negative btw), then you don't want a forum, you want an echo chamber, and even if that is the case, you have many tools to ignore what you like to call with that word that starts with a t.

It's fine to criticize, my issue is when a discussion basically devolves into and endless loop of back and forth arguments over the same points. I think that's when it's time to wrangle it in, make a separate discussion or simply lock the thread. If the entire thread were people arguing said game is the best game ever or not based on the snippets of what we've seen so far, it would be just as annoying and unproductive.

Maybe listen to your own advice.

Oh damn! Sick burn! :o

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: drive-by posting, metacommentary
Man, these threads have been a complete shit show. Seriously, they contain some of the stupidest takes I've ever read on these forums. And that is saying something.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020

Yes, imagine a dev proud of their work having the gall to upset a bunch of losers on the internet. The audacity! 🙄

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Man. How dare they. We must put a stop to this!
Those evil devs can't keep getting away with this…

Matais92

Banned
Jul 8, 2020
So? It's only 2 years younger than the original TLoU1, it wasn't a technical marvel and it's stuck at (sometimes sub-)30 fps, while the TLoU1 remaster was at 60fps. People have been begging for a remaster for Bloodborne for ages, they aren't comparable really

And TLOU was held back due to limitations of the PS3 that Bloodborne was not. One is a native PS3 game and the other is a native PS4 game. A remake of a native PS3 certainly makes more sense unless you think we should attack ND for being technically competent when making games

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
And TLOU was held back due to limitations of the PS3 that Bloodborne was not. One is a native PS3 game and the other is a native PS4 game. A remake of a native PS3 certainly makes more sense unless you think we should attack ND for being technically competent when making games
Wat lol. Who said anything about attacking. The fact that a game is a technical marvel means there's just fewer reasons to remake it. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine to criticize, my issue is when a discussion basically devolves into and endless loop of back and forth arguments over the same points. I think that's when it's time to wrangle it in, make a separate discussion or simply lock the thread. If the entire thread were people arguing said game is the best game ever or not based on the snippets of what we've seen so far, it would be just as annoying and unproductive.
But if those same points are important points to discuss, why should it be closed? They are discussed for a reason.

And people are not talking exclusively about the price in this thread, there is a bit of everything. The fact that you seem to think so implies you have an issue with the matter at hand, and the why is something you'll have to figure it out.