modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Besides maybe the $10 upgrade one and the "gameplay looks awful" one, are there any more specifics? "many posts" makes me think that a sizable chunk of the thread is all toxic. I really hope we're not just blanket labeling any critique as toxic again..
To be clear I am referring to both this thread and the leak thread, which was truly awful, and very reminiscent of lazy dev rhetorics you see elsewhere, and in this thread you see a post calling other posts embarrassing for liking the footage and calling out said lazy dev rhetoric from the other thread. There's definitely a bunch of bad faith posts here and especially on the last one, but as I said, I am not continuing this further.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Really amazing how some are still doubling down on the graphic complaints even now in this threads. Some of you have a hard time admitting you were wrong, huh? and for the 1000th I can't believe Era was wrong!!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Depends what people are salty for. If another company made this and ND kept their resources to releasing a game they're working on this generation instead of a PS3 game with upgraded paint, it'd be different. Their output has been trash from PS4 onwards relative to PS1-PS3. Also feels like Factions not being in this makes this an embarrassing cash grab because Factions as a standalone game is likely coming relatively soon, and it would kill some sales. Same reason they didn't release it for Part II.

If it had Factions as it should have, I'd have tripple dipped.

TLOU2 didn't have a MP mode shipped with it because the planned MP mode grew far beyond its original scope and they decided to spin it off into its on standalone project which we'll learn more about next year.

As for TLOU Part 1 not having a remake of the original Factions included, I'd have thought that would be obvious. They don't want to have yet another legacy MP mode that they'll have to dedicate support to for years when they've got a massive MP title for the exact same franchise coming that they're gonna be pumping a massive amount of resources into. If they sell a title with a MP mode then they are obligated to support to it for who knows how long and they're just competing against themselves with a dedicated TLOU MP game coming out.

Also what in the blue fuck are you talking about with, "Their output has been trash from PS4 onwards relative to PS1-PS3"??? On the PS3 they had released Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 along with TLOU. On the PS4 they had TLOU Remastered with the Left Behind DLC, Uncharted 4, Uncharted Lost Legacy and TLOU 2. Keep in mind that Uncharted 4 and TLOU 2 are FAR FAR larger than anything they ever put out on PS3. Right now on the PS5 we've got Uncharted Legacy of Thieves (ND did the PS5 version), TLOU Part 1, TLOU MP, Neil's new title and it's rumored that a TLOU2 Director's Cut is also in the works - and we're not even 2 years into this gen yet.

Thinking that if, "ND kept their resources to releasing a game they're working on this generation instead of a PS3 game with upgraded paint" just tells us you have no clue how this project came to be, no clue how Naughty Dogs development cycles were run at the time when TLOU2 wrapped and the situation they found themselves in, and no clue how beneficial this game is to them as a studio AND for their other projects. Not to mention this is the version going to the PC crowd, not the 8 year old PS4 remaster of a PS3 title. This is the definitive version for the new audience who will find this franchise with the TLOU HBO series and want to play the game.

We know from Jason's original leak that the cost for this project was in excess of a typical Sony remake... yet folks think it's a cash grab. 🤦‍♂️

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
To be clear I am referring to both this thread and the leak thread, which was truly awful, and very reminiscent of lazy dev rhetorics you see elsewhere, and in this thread you see a post calling other posts embarrassing for liking the footage and calling out said lazy dev rhetoric from the other thread. There's definitely a bunch of bad faith posts here and especially on the last one, but as I said, I am not continuing this further.
That's fair. If you're not continuing further that's totally fine. I just think we're taking a small miniority of people to label actual valid critiques as toxic, which I believe damages broader discourse on the game or any game for that matter.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Graphically it looks immense, there's no denying that. Naughty Dog are masters of their craft, and I'm excited to see this run on my PC for sure. It'll be a real treat, especially if Sony get Nixxes to flex their porting muscles on it.

Seeing it's going to be broadly the same gameplay as from 2013 though, that's disappointing. I play older games fairly regularly without issue, and the TLOU1 gameplay is still good, but it's a missed opportunity here given we've seen just how great the gameplay can be from Naughty Dog. Hopefully TLOU2 won't be too far behind this one's release on PC.

Pricing, if they charge the full £70 for this on PC, that's a lot of money. Other, more comprehensive remakes released recently like Resident Evil 2 released at £45, dropping to £35 within a year. Hoping for decent news there when we get the PC release information.

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
Looks like a remake to me considering everything has been overhauled.

Bargain for 70 quid. Toxic trolls are going to keep hating regardless though.

Once again ND showing why they are the best developer out there.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm legit looking forward to playing TLoU with a beautiful fresh coat of paint and those bells and whistles. It's pretty much exactly what I expected of the remake (though not necessarily what I had hoped for). Understandable for people to feel the asking price is steep though, because it is.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It obviously looks pretty but is so not worth 80€ without a gameplay overhaul and less content than the PS4 remaster from 9 years ago.

Jul 24, 2018
It looks like Last of Us 1 indeed but there isn't anything new about it that justifies buying it yet again for me. Emphasis on "for me".

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
A big graphical upgrade and the graphics at the end of the video with the fire in the background looks especially incredible, but going to def wait for sale. No multiplayer and 70 dollar price tag is not really appealing to me. I am looking forward to reactions though from newcomers who've never played the series before.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
The "Internet" has really developped an incredibly toxic relation with The Last of Us. It's extremely weird.

Everyone can regard this remake as they want. Good or bad. But looking at this and not admiting the work put into this (which probably cost them as much as some lower tier AAA games to make) is just acting in bad faith.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I quit the original game after 10-15 hours because the gameplay wasn't any fun to me. Figured this would have part 2 gameplay which I constantly hear is as good as MGSV so I was pretty excited to give it another shot.

Not a chance now. 80€ for this? Come on son.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Looks beautiful however anyone else notice how the watch was majorly clipping through Joel's hand in the workbench scene?

Just felt it was more obvious as they were specifically highlighting the animation as they were taking about it.

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This really should have been combined with the inevitable native PS5 version of Part II and sold as a collection.

Nothing about this warrants $60, let alone $70.

Sony's pricing has been scummy AF so far this gen.

2B-

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 2, 2022
Besides maybe the $10 upgrade one and the "gameplay looks awful" one, are there any more specifics? "many posts" makes me think that a sizable chunk of the thread is all toxic. I really hope we're not just blanket labeling any critique as toxic again..
Lmao the thread was toxic af, you had people acting as if it was a personal attack on their character that this remake existed and it was very 'lazy dev' rhetoric all around.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Whoa, are you telling me it was all overreaction over bad quality leaks? Hard to believe!
Yeah I never expected a change in level design or anything, just remaking the humongous amount of assets in the game was an incredible task.
Not 80€ worth maybe but I'll definitely grab this down the line.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
It looks great, but the price tag is still not justified. The gameplay has not been fully changed to be on par with part 2. Sony should still be criticised for the price tag and for the miscommunication.

It is not toxic to criticise Sony on this.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Funny enough, this looks to function exactly as what the Last of Us Remastered was largely done for on PS4. It allows Naughty Dog to upgrade their engine to properly use new hardware, and develop a game on it, while not going through the pain of designing a brand new title at the same time. It allow for a quicker turn-around time for a game on a new system, since it takes them a really long time to create each new title. Though this is a Remake, it doesn't necessarily blow The Last of Us Part II out of the water. I feel like the visual jump for their next, truly current-gen, IP will be equivalent to the jump from The Last of Us Remastered to Uncharted 4.

I doubt I'd pick this up at launch, but I'll likely get it down the line. Hopefully they decide to port Part I and Part II to PC down the line. Whatever Naughty Dog does in the future though, I hope they'll really push the PS5's CPU hard. I really want to see simulation that blows last-gen titles out of the water.

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
ND have to be commended for the additions made in the accessibility options. That being said I'm disappointed in the lack of gameplay enhancements. I'll save myself the £70

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Funny enough, this looks to function exactly as what the Last of Us Remastered was largely done for on PS4. It allows Naughty Dog to upgrade their engine to properly use new hardware, and develop a game on it, while not going through the pain of designing a brand new title at the same time. It allow for a quicker turn-around time for a game on a new system, since it takes them a really long time to create each new title.

Precisely. The time and effort spent on this will greatly help the studio enhance their engine and work out the kinks developing for a new console and will positively impact their efforts towards their next major project.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still feel the same, it looks pretty with some extra enchantments but not worth it to me to pay the full day one price.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Looks great, day 1.

Only thing is, and forgive me because I can't find a search thread option and I'm not reading 15 pages but, was enhanced exploration demonstrated or was this just a fluff term as I thought it would be? I said in the original announcement that if they genuinely added new or slightly bigger areas they would talk about it from the roof-tops and I didn't see it.

Edit: Found search thread option :D

So looks like zero mention of this at all, I have no idea what "enhanced exploration" means to anyone but the advertisers, so maybe I'll wait a few days and see what people say. I was genuinely hoping they'd open up some areas but if not, shame.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I hope they'll really push the PS5's CPU hard.
This remake is built from the ground up for the PS5. It's fair to assume that revamped physics is pushing the CPU to its limit.

Will be truly a miracle of engineering brilliance if their next big title looks significantly better than this remake.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
i think anyone who hasnt played the game and is going to pick it up is in for a treat.
i loved playing through the original ps3 and ps4 remaster. This just looks like it improves the game even more,

Vonterribad

Jul 17, 2022
Was this the main ND team working on this? or a smaller project? (I assume it would be all hands on deck for Factions right now)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It looks solid if you want to play The Last of Us again, more so if it's your first playthrough. It firmly looks like a remaster - just the same as Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Remastered. The biggest issue seems to be the price point.

Besides that the leaks showed the same kinds of AI pathfinding errors and odd behaviour as the original release, so the talk of improved AI rings hollow.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Does it have the dodge feature part 2 had?
No. No new mechanics like dodge, prone in grass, crawling under gaps, etc from TLOU2. Improved AI is the main gameplay mechanic change but is still limited to the way TLOU is designed. The rest comes from animation, audio, physics and visual fidelity improvements.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
No. No new mechanics like dodge, prone in grass, crawling under gaps, etc from TLOU2. Improved AI is the main gameplay mechanic change but is still limited to the way TLOU is designed. The rest comes from animation, audio, physics and visual fidelity improvements.
Oof that's extremely disappointing

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Was this the main ND team working on this? or a smaller project? (I assume it would be all hands on deck for Factions right now)

Naughty dog are multi-project now and in addition to Uncharted Legacy of Thieves that shipped earlier this year we know they're working on TLOU Part 1, TLOU MP, Neil's new game which they officially hinted at during Summer Game Fest, and Tom Henderson claims they're working on an updated TLOU2, possibly a Directors Cut.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Great vid and got me even more psyched. TLOU is one my top 10 games of all time and this will be a day 1 for me. I haven't played it in years so I can't wait. Also glad this vid dropped and the other thread was locked. It really became ridiculous/embarrassing.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
All these "told you" comments you would think finally there was some big gameplay/encounter overhaul, similar to Part II. Anyway, there's no way I was gonna spend 80€ on this, much as a love the original game.