Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I think anyone convincing themselves that there will be significant content after Midgar are setting themselves up for disappointment.

The most I could see happening is them adding a post-credits trip to Kalm, maybe to hint at what their plan to adapt the Overworld will be, similar to how Travis Strikes Again: NMH put in an after credits playable tease for No More Heroes 3. But even that is a long shot, to be honest.

I wouldn't mind this, but they've been pretty clear that their intention is for multiple full games. It would also raise the question of how they would handle the next-gen release. Would they eventually "cut off" PS4 support if they want to push the scope further?
Yeah, they'll be full games but FFXIV expansions basically have a full game's worth of new content as well. With the groundwork now laid, they should be able to hit the ground running with Part 2 because they will very likely be reusing as much assets etc. from Part 1 as they can + they should be pretty experienced with the workflow & engine, instead of having to start from scratch again. They are (likely) building on top of what they've done with this first release and not re-inventing the wheel, that's what I meant with "more like FFXIV". Someone who has designed monsters can just keep designing monsters for a combat system that they are already familiar with. A lot of the work can just resume as if they were developing content for the first part.

I don't think the whole "don't expect development to be much faster" means that they'll take anywhere near 5-6 years for Part 2, just that even if they've now created a full game, an FFVIIR quality upgrade of something like Wutai will still take a lot of work to create. They can't develop much faster, necessarily, but they can get a sequel out faster because not all of Part 1's development has been as efficient as the development can be in full swing. They should be able to hit that full swing with Part 2 much faster (again, so long as part 2 isn't a total overhaul because of the likely console generation change)

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, they'll be full games but FFXIV expansions basically have a full game's worth of new content as well. With the groundwork now laid, they should be able to hit the ground running with Part 2 because they will very likely be reusing as much assets etc. from Part 1 as they can + they should be pretty experienced with the workflow & engine, instead of having to start from scratch again. They are (likely) building on top of what they've done with this first release and not re-inventing the wheel, that's what I meant with "more like FFXIV". Someone who has designed monsters can just keep designing monsters for a combat system that they are already familiar with. A lot of the work can just resume as if they were developing content for the first part.

I don't think the whole "don't expect development to be much faster" means that they'll take anywhere near 5-6 years for Part 2, just that even if they've now created a full game, an FFVIIR quality upgrade of something like Wutai will still take a lot of work to create. They can't develop much faster, necessarily, but they can get a sequel out faster because not all of Part 1's development has been as efficient as the development can be in full swing. They should be able to hit that full swing with Part 2 much faster (again, so long as part 2 isn't a total overhaul because of the likely console generation change)
Oh yeah. I don't expect part 2 to take 5 years like part 1 did. My outlook is about 2 to 2.5 years between VII Remake games, with other triple A titles releasing in the between years. Maybe that's a bit optimistic but with the underlying foundations build, Square should be able to kind of go full steam ahead on asset creation (which will be the biggest hurdle for finishing this series in a timely manner). Here's hoping!

XIV expansions are so good and so packed with content that they've honestly given me some measure of faith in Square's development processes again.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I still figure this is the ending, entirely based on the way the last trailer implied Red XIII is just a guest party member. If there was an explorey section post-Midgar I figure they'd just have made him playable at that point.

I do think we'll get a post credits that shows the crew arriving in Kalm, though. If Nomura wants to be extremely Nomura the entire game will end with Cloud saying "Let me tell you all about Nibelheim" ... TO BE CONTINUED
Having just done a run through the game this seems likely.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much exactly what I'm expecting to happen, yeah. A wet fart of an ending and then "see your money next time!"
You can hardly call the glimpses we've seen from what looks like the final stretch of the game with the Jenova fight and the whole Shinra building enshrouded in a tornado of darkness a "wet fart" (and we know they've change the final boss so we the game presumably doesn't end at a basic boss fight against a generic robot), just because we don't get to move on to the larger world afterwards.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
This would be such a weird detail, but is Aerith's pose a "The Searchers" reference? John Wayne's character famously makes the same pose near the end as he leaves civilization to head back into the wilderness.

Searchers_Ethan_Edwards.png
I don't know about that. That would be a huge leap for S-E. I think they were just going for a shy / reserved pose for Aeris. Crossing ones arms or crossing one arm is pretty common for folks who are not as strong socially as others. Meanwhile look at Tifa's pose / body language , radiating confidence.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be fun when they release an all-in-one edition. I hope they make it seamless. But then they'd have to cut the credits so IDK.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just in case anyone's still holding out hope, the official website literally says The story of this first, standalone game in the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE project covers up to the party's escape from Midgar. If you're hoping for anything past this scene, outside maybe that rad idea of the final cutscene talking place in the inn at Kalm, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. We'll get Yuffie, Vincent, and the rest of the gang come the second installment.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
just in case anyone's still holding out hope, the official website literally says The story of this first, standalone game in the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE project covers up to the party's escape from Midgar. If you're hoping for anything past this scene, outside maybe that rad idea of the final cutscene talking place in the inn at Kalm, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. We'll get Yuffie, Vincent, and the rest of the gang come the second installment.

I don't even think we will get all the other party members in Part 2. They have to keep something new and fresh fir Part 3 as well.
I can see Red, Cid and Yuffie being the new additions in Part 2, while Vincent and Caith Sith are retconned for the final part.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It'll be fun when they release an all-in-one edition. I hope they make it seamless. But then they'd have to cut the credits so IDK.
More than that, they'll probably have to rework whatever progression system they have in place. Character progressions structure spoiler ahead:
We know that "-aga" level magic is in this game. So this game has a single progression path all its own.
It's best to expect these to be treated as completely separate games until shown otherwise.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I don't even think we will get all the other party members in Part 2. They have to keep something new and fresh fir Part 3 as well.
I can see Red, Cid and Yuffie being the new additions in Part 2, while Vincent and Caith Sith are retconned for the final part.
Do you really think Part 2 isn't even going to make it to the Temple of the Ancients or Nibelheim, but will make it to Rocket Town somehow? I could see
Part 3 starting with the Tifa and Barret prison escape thing in Junon, which would allow you to slowly recollect your party members as they escape Shinra.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm playing thru the OG game again right now to get ready for the remake; if they ended the second part before you go to Nibelheim for realsies/where you get Vincent, it's way too short. Cait Sith, Yuffie, and Vincent show up earlier than Cid... and hell even Cid doesn't show up much later. If part two ends before THE MOST ICONIC CHARACTER DEATH IN THE GAME THAT I CANT JUST TALK ABOUT OPENLY BC SOMEONE WILL CRY SPOILERS FOR A 23 YEAR OLD GAME (ie: aerith)'s death, it'll be way too short.

And really. Considering this is the FFVII Remake... I don't really think anyone will be like "what's the point of playing part three if I got all the characters in part two?"

---------

i just changed my mind. I had a brain blast where you may just be right, you sunnuva bitch. They'd just change the encounters for Vincent and Yuffie so they're no longer optional. Just have Yuffie show up in a forest towards the end of the game (but before the Weapons bc that wouldn't make sense; a little wannabe ninja girl running around the land while giant ancient death monsters are out and about) and for Vincent? Idk. Idk much about his backstory honestly but I don't think it's imperative that you find him in Nibelheim, so long as you find him in a vampire-esque setting. I can see that working. But I stand by what I said of that if part two ends anywhere prior to a point in the game where you can have a full party, it's too damn short.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Do you really think Part 2 isn't even going to make it to the Temple of the Ancients or Nibelheim, but will make it to Rocket Town somehow? I could see
Part 3 starting with the Tifa and Barret prison escape thing in Junon, which would allow you to slowly recollect your party members as they escape Shinra.

Actually i think they will end Part 2 in the Northern Cave, i just expect Vincent to be "found" and Caith Sith to become playable after those events.

I think that poster is speculating that character introductions might get shuffled around to different spots in the story to better suit a series, rather than having them all introduced in the front half.

This.

i just changed my mind. I had a brain blast where you may just be right, you sunnuva bitch. They'd just change the encounters for Vincent and Yuffie so they're no longer optional. Just have Yuffie show up in a forest towards the end of the game (but before the Weapons bc that wouldn't make sense; a little wannabe ninja girl running around the land while giant ancient death monsters are out and about) and for Vincent? Idk. Idk much about his backstory honestly but I don't think it's imperative that you find him in Nibelheim, so long as you find him in a vampire-esque setting. I can see that working. But I stand by what I said of that if part two ends anywhere prior to a point in the game where you can have a full party, it's too damn short.

See above, i am only talking about reshuffling characters appearances.

And regarding that, i think Vincent would be a given. He can be found by the party as they search for the Huge Materia, maybe stored in some Shinra facility or something.

The other one i think would be Caith Sith imho, Yuffie is way more beloved to be kept for last. I imagine Caith Sith having his guilt trips and joining the party after Sephirot awakens.

Last edited:

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful!

I'm surprised they spoiled that Barret's sunglasses die though. We can only hope they stay buried.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see what's the issue with introducing all playable characters ASAP even if that leaves with one (or more) releases with no new playable characters. Other than maybe from a production POV (creating playable characters that play so differently and have to be taken into account when creating enemies/balancing combat is time-consuming), I don't see why they wouldn't just throw in all the characters at the points where they come around in the OG game.

EDIT: They can use subsequent releases to refine, add to and improve all the playable characters. New stances for Cloud, perhaps a bit more complex combo system for Tifa etc.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. I don't expect part 2 to take 5 years like part 1 did. My outlook is about 2 to 2.5 years between VII Remake games, with other triple A titles releasing in the between years. Maybe that's a bit optimistic but with the underlying foundations build, Square should be able to kind of go full steam ahead on asset creation (which will be the biggest hurdle for finishing this series in a timely manner). Here's hoping!

XIV expansions are so good and so packed with content that they've honestly given me some measure of faith in Square's development processes again.

The only way it would be 5 years for the next part is if they haven't started working on it yet. Asset creation does take a long time but I am positive that have a team working on that the whole time. I expect they are also working on assets for part 3 already.

18 months to 2 years would be the maximum wait I expect.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Launch is going to be interesting for sure. Some people are unable to accept the fact that this a reimagining not a 1:1 remake of FFVII. There is no filler because its set in a new continuity.

I expect a lot of meltdowns come April.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Launch is going to be interesting for sure. Some people are unable to accept the fact that this a reimagining not a 1:1 remake of FFVII. There is no filler because its set in a new continuity.

I expect a lot of meltdowns come April.
I think it's gonna depend on how well it turns out. If it disappoint, you're gonna see a lot of meltdowns over the differences. But if Square sticks that landing and it really keeps up the quality we've seen so far, I think people will be alright with it.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Who got spoiled?

Returing people already know the first part of the remake would end around here

New people will have no idea of the significance of this shot. (Unless they read your post and then googled out of confusion of what you were talkking about)

Anyone who doesn't know it's the ending got it spoiled by the complaints that it spoils the ending.

Oct 29, 2017
Damn. Saw this thread and I thought, "A whole thread for one picture? It better be something pretty special." And then... it was something pretty special.

Some of the GOAT character designs right here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's just amazing that they made every single person look absolutely perfect.

Speaking bluntly, I really don't like how small/round Tifa's head looks in some shots, but beyond that I like the ways they've transitioned every original design over. It's a good way of honoring the original art style and doesn't make Cloud look like the drug addict he looked like in the post-VII Compilation content.