• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can BioWare Deliver

• Yes

Votes: 191 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 475 71.3%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It's super exciting to see Bioware formally announce a new Mass Effect to go with the new Dragon Age

The question is can they deliver what fans want.

Bioware seems to be such a different company that it was when it made the or final Mass Effects and Dragon Ages .

I don't mean what they make now will be bad but will it be what fans want?

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
I don't think so, Mass Effect 2 already showed EA was in charge and it was only a downhill from there although i like DA:I flaws and all.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At this point something as good as Inquisition and Mass Effect 3 would be thrilling for me. I hope they have learned from Andromeda and Anthem. If they still have people in charge making terrible decisions like Anthem clearly did, they are doomed.

Qohelet

Oct 31, 2017
Not holding my breath.
DA I was a semi enjoyable retooled MMO and ME ended on a low note last gen.

I'll replay the remastered trilogy and that's probably it for me with Bioware.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I really want it to work out but with the talent that has left that studio over the last few years. I have a really hard time seeing it. EA is just cancer to all studios.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Hard to say. I think their backs are against the wall now and they know have they to prove themselves. They should throw the kitchen sink at both of these games. That will mean we either get two of the best games they've ever made as a result of that effort, or two more mediocre games and proof that they've lost the talent altogether or the EA framework simply doesn't support their talent well at all.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I think they can deliver, they did it with ME2 and to be they have been getting better.

Inquisition is my second most played game this generation topping 600 hours.

Some of my favourite games are ME2 and 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition.

I am looking forward to the remaster for Mass Effect.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
For me it's all about the character writing. I haven't played Andromeda, but the depth of characters in the other games in these franchises is top notch, so if they can deliver on those fronts I will ultimately be able to accept some other deficiencies. It will be tough to live up to the standards many expect, but I am still hopeful. That said, I'm going to tamper my expectations because I don't expect anything from these franchises until 2022 or later.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I do not think so. New Mass Effect trailer does nothing for me, because of that.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they move away from the open world focus. DAI and Andromeda just felt incredible by the numbers in that regard, giving you quests that wouldn't be out of place in any MMO. Instead I'd like a more tight focus on well crafted hub areas.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have no hope. Using Liara as your tease for ME4 is already a bad sign because Liara is awful.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Why be cynical?

Its a lot more fun to be hyped. I can handle any potential disappointment.

Oct 27, 2017
Who knows at this point? From the outside, it's not clear that they're doing anything different, but maybe internally there's been some changes. I guess we'll have to wait for the Schreier post-mortem article!

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe? Bioware used to be one of my favorite devs but I've been burned by them this past gen too many times to be optimistic about the future of Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Hope it turns out well but I'm not getting my hopes up anymore.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see why not. Studios acquire new talent all the time, even if some of the most know veterans of Bioware have left. So to me it's no different from being excited about games coming from newly formed studios.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it. And with recent departures, doesn't add confidence. Their recent output is a fuckin disaster. Scandalous, almost.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really expecting greatness from them ever again, but I'm hoping DA4 can hit the same notes as DA2 or DAI - games that are deeply flawed with a lot of fun RPG elements, characters, and worldbuilding.

For Mass Effect, though, no idea. It's too far out to even think about.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
They fell on their face this past generation (DA:I aside; I rather enjoyed it). But I still believe they can pull off something remarkable.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Losing Casey Hudson so suddenly makes me doubt the future of the Mass Effect series.

If Bioware can stick to what they do best which are characters and tightly focused quests, they can do it. (And if management got their shit together)

Drop the open-world and checklist game design shit, they're so clearly bad at it that they shouldn't bother.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age almost assuredly, although that game sounds like vapour ware rn. It's been over 6 years since the release of Inquisition and so far they've shown 2 CG trailers that confirmed all of 2 characters and some extremely early footage and prototypes.

Mass Effect is more of a mixed bag.
Andromeda combat was absolutely fantastic so if they can build on that while going back to the strenghts of the OT I'm positive they can deliver a masterpiece again.

The talent is still there. Frostbite is hopefully not going to be an issue again.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
There's only one chance for BioWare - stop with "open-wordling" everything. I don't know if it was EA or BioWare themselves who pushed for such world structure in Inqusition, for example, but it wasn't great. Same thing with Andromeda I think. Both games would be better if they were more linear.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Their games have been on an extremely regular, easily predicted decline since Mass Effect 2. Each one has been worse than the last, culminating in Anthem. Only a masochist would actually expect their next games to be good.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you blaming EA?
Bioware themselves have clearly stated they make their own decisions and are fairly independent from EA.
EA mandated Frostbite usage but that raised innumerable issues during development of andromeda and inquisition. EA has teams of developers it sends to studios to assist with the engine but Bioware ranks low on the ladder and didn't get the needed help IIRC.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Nope.

Andromeda was incredibly mediocre and only really held its own by the "mass effect" name ..... the franchise and studio are toxic. Papa EA has done their job.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It's pretty clear that EA rushed out Andromeda, Anthem, and Jedi Fallen Order before they were ready.

Andromeda had 5 years of dev time. It comes a time when you simply can't delay a game any longer, especially when you realize no delay will fix the game real flaws.

Andromeda is like a paper that the teacher gave 1 month for the student to write, they decide to do it at the last minute and then people blame the teacher for not giving them extra time.

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Just to add to original post do people generally think DAI was a good game?

Personally I felt like it was the last game they made with great characters but the gameplay between the story stuff was very very dull and repetitive