harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
I think Kuwabara shines (up to episode 3) and I'm really in a positive mood after this episode. I like that Yusuke and Kuwabara become besties at the end of 2. There are some benefits of this pace!

Haven't finished the show yet, but I generally agree with this article

www.polygon.com

Netflix’s Yu Yu Hakusho is the rare tonal mishmash that works

Yu Yu Hakusho has been adapted from a manga to a Netflix live-action show — and while it has to condense a bit too much, it actually works. Our review:

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Seems like it's the Bleach live action movie which was solid overall even if not a perfect adaptation. I thoroughly enjoyed the Bleach movie so I think I'll like this one as well

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Seems like it's the Bleach live action movie which was solid overall even if not a perfect adaptation. I thoroughly enjoyed the Bleach movie so I think I'll like this one as well

I should check out Bleach la. It was a cool enough series, but nothing amazing, so it isn't sacred for me enough to be annoyed by changes.😆

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Toguro's brother is creepy as all fuck. Well done, damn

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about this one, didn't really like the first episode. This feels super low budget as you'd expect from a Japanese live action adaptation.
I'll try another episode or two I guess

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the second episode. This is a fucking great show. The Goki fight was amazing (maybe better than anything in One Piece?).

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
besides how little kuwabara is. i enjoyed it. the little interaction with his mom and keiko at his funeral was touching.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Finished the second episode. This is a fucking great show. The Goki fight was amazing (maybe better than anything in One Piece?).
Japanese stunt choreographers are great. The OPLA writers said that they couldn't go as fast for Zoro's fight scenes because none of the stuntmen could keep up with Mackenyu's swordfighting

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I watched the first episode (dubbed). I wasn't expecting it, but the show is actually pretty fun!

Even though it's not close to being 1:1 to the anime, the action and VA work has me engaged enough to give the rest of the episodes a shot.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
Such a shame they speedrun 2 arcs into 5 episodes. Should have given a One Piece Live Action treatmentd instead of this.
they skip some mix some to make it all fin within 5 episode.
such a same. some arc elabrate or some part of the manga/anime was the funny highlights that was cut.

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese stunt choreographers are great. The OPLA writers said that they couldn't go as fast for Zoro's fight scenes because none of the stuntmen could keep up with Mackenyu's swordfighting
Not to mention Mackenyu was literally Enishi in the live action Rurouni Kenshin movies so those stuntmen had absolutely no chance

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the season and thought it was pretty good. I really disn't think they needed to condense the arcs the way they did but at the same time the season has a pretty brisk pace and never gets boring. I kind of got the feeling that they originally wrote the script to be a movie, then decided the shortest they could make it was 3.5 hours so they decided to make it a 5 episode show and expanded back out from there. That's the only reason I could think why they'd condense it in a way that totally excises the Dark Tournament (well, that and budget).

Most of the effects were so so but still pretty good for a JP show, and I think a number of them were actually really great and did a good job of mixing practical with CG. Toguro in particular I imagine is a CG body when muscled up a lot of the time but I really couldn't tell except when he was obviously full CG. The real stand out is the stunt work and fights though. Great choreography, awesome direction, and good use of effects. Worth a watch just for that.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Finished it. I thought the first 4 episodes were pretty good, but the last one tried to undeservedly copy and paste the emotions at the end of the Dark Tournament. Genkai and Toguro are basically strangers to Yusuke in this story, so it made the ending mostly flat.

I also agree that it feels more like a movie, and through that lens, I think it's a successful adaptation.

OP
OP
BWoog

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll smash together
The Dark Tournament and Chapter Black
if they get a second season.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Really quite enjoyed it in the end, though there's absolutely no time to develop Genkai & Toguro. I liked Yusuke and Kuwabara the most of the main cast, though I'm super sad the fast pace meant no Shizuru (Kuwabara's sister). I hope it gets renewed and does a more leisurely stroll through the chapter black stuff, leaving all the demon world stuff for a third season.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a episode last night and it was pretty fun. Just found out through this thread that it is based on a manga. Should have known when I saw the fighting scenes. Not sure if I want to continue.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Watched a episode last night and it was pretty fun. Just found out through this thread that it is based on a manga. Should have known when I saw the fighting scenes. Not sure if I want to continue.
Wait… You found something and found it pretty fun BUT because it's based on a medium you don't like you want to drop it?

Or am I reading it wrong :')

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This script is absolutely putrid. There's some okay parts in here but the pacing and the absolutely idiotic choice of smashing together the Dark Tournament and rescue arc kills it.

I also like how they skipped past all the good stuff at the beginning to do what??? This is a complete hackjob with the only thing of value being the choreography in the action sequences.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Never watched the old anime. Thought the characters looked too goofy. This was a fun time, though. Knowing nothing about the old anime, I only wished that they'd focused more on the friendship/rivalry between Kuwubara and Yusuke. That was a lot of fun as they're both soft-jerks. The other characters are typical anime, but I would've enjoyed watching these two alternately butt heads and brotherly bond throughout the course of this. Sometimes, as was the case when Yusuke finished his training, it didn't feel like Kuwubara was even in the room. It's weird that people don't talk to him. When the old master gave her speech about how important Yusuke was to the world, I thought it would've been cool if she was talking to both of them and told them to take care of each other.

Ah well. Not nearly as bad as I expected. Definitely more my speed than the awful Cowboy Bebop. Couldn't give a care about One-piece either. Just not for me.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
All done. Didn't hate it. Could have used a few more episodes, which i never thought I'd say about an adaptation of this property.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
YYH is my favorite manga of all time and this was better than I expected. I had amazingly low expectations with how horrible the cast looks but all things considered it was decent. The stuff they changed and mashing together the rescue and dark tournament into just 5 episodes was weird but probably for the best. They got to essentially have a conclusion since Netflix kills stuff all the time.

I watched One Piece the other week too and this is better. One Piece is way more faithful and has a way bigger budget and production values, but the fights in one One Piece were all bad except for zoros stuff and they wasted an entire season doing nothing but introducing characters. The fights in this were all surprisingly good and they completed a story in fewer episodes.

I would have preferred if they were able to take their time and follow the real story closer across multiple seasons, but I get why they didn't and it was probably the right call in the long run. They would have been lucky to get a second season from Netflix let alone the 10+ they would have needed to do the source material justice.

The main cast still looks horrible though and botan was a pitifully recreation in both look and personality.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Pacing was bad and made it so moments that should have been really emotional fell flat. But it was still pretty good until episode 3 when I realized they were about to shove the best arc in the series into two episodes.

Like, what's even the point of a season 2? Gimme a complete redo by another team that is actually given a budget so they don't have to rush things.

Edit: And I was mad at the fight with Younger Toguro. So many great moments from the anime were either removed or very lessened in impact (like the spirit gun shot that blasted him out the arena). But maybe that stuff was never in the original manga for all I know.

Last edited:

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't like the fact they smashed so much together but I had a lot of fun watching it. I wish they did more episodes and took it at a slower pace.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
2 episodes in, I actually really like it, the action is great and it's actually a lot more grounded than I expected, but not in a bad way, actually the over the top costume and cosplay hair is what make it so weird and kinda drag the whole thing down a bit.

I feel like this is the one instance where a more grounded school uniform and less colourful costume/hair would work better lol

Oct 27, 2017
Never watched the old anime. Thought the characters looked too goofy. This was a fun time, though. Knowing nothing about the old anime, I only wished that they'd focused more on the friendship/rivalry between Kuwubara and Yusuke. That was a lot of fun as they're both soft-jerks. The other characters are typical anime, but I would've enjoyed watching these two alternately butt heads and brotherly bond throughout the course of this. Sometimes, as was the case when Yusuke finished his training, it didn't feel like Kuwubara was even in the room. It's weird that people don't talk to him. When the old master gave her speech about how important Yusuke was to the world, I thought it would've been cool if she was talking to both of them and told them to take care of each other.

Ah well. Not nearly as bad as I expected. Definitely more my speed than the awful Cowboy Bebop. Couldn't give a care about One-piece either. Just not for me.
If you like anime, give it a try as it focuses on what you wanted more of.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Action is great and I like how Keiko was given more agency and her bonding with Yukina, but yeah it was WAY too rushed and condensed.