• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was serviceable overall, parts of the film were pretty good. The beginning and lead up we're awful,

Characters were meh to bad but the daughter Lucy was so awful lol

I think that's my main problem with the movie. The twist wasn't terrible, the characters were just so bad. All of them were awful.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Saw this movie last weekend, and I thought it was pretty dismal. We had to create some side-jokes as the movie was unfolding to get a little enjoyment out of it.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was serviceable overall, parts of the film were pretty good. The beginning and lead up we're awful,

Characters were meh to bad but the daughter Lucy was so awful lol
She was awful. Literally never did what should have LOL.

Also the plot doesn't make sense if you think about it for 5 minutes. It's one of those stories where you can tell they wrote the twist first and tried but failed to write a movie around it.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
26d.gif
It and Wonder Woman were good though.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The movie was awful. The big twist makes you question things that happened before it and you can feel that it was the foundation that the writers had to build the rest of the story around. Also, ffs I haven't been annoyed with a movie for being so dark and potentially ruining some scenes due to lack of lighting since the last US Godzilla.

Last edited:

Spectone

It's a good movie until you start to think about it, then things don't make any sense.

It has been 50 years of those kids never growing up, what do they do? Do they play for the rest of eternity? Do they go to school and learn the same things over and over again? Stuck as children for eternity and never becoming adults?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know what everyone was complaining about with the ending CG, that was clearly some nice ingame footage from the next Cities:Skylines expansion.

/s

So...it was dumb, but...fine I guess? Yeah the
memory wipe "Let's play family" stuff was a headscratcher, and the invader's twist was easy to predict if you knew there was any twist whatsoever. The 'Memories not visions' bit actually wasn't bad.

Overall though it being a Netflix release was probably about spot on for what it was. Granted it's kinda sad that their original movies never seem to exceed that 'Basically a higher end Direct-to-Video movie' category they've created, but their 'original' movies have always been casual filler to me.

I liked Spectral too, solid movie.
I did too. Not an award winning thinker, but sometimes dumb scifi is fun enough.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Felt like it would have been better off as a mini-series than a movie. There was no payoff. Felt like the introduction to something bigger.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Terrible, terrible movie. Ham-fisted plot, terrible pacing, lazy acting and a seriously WTF ending.

However, at the end Netflix suggested I watch The 100. If I hadn't watched Extinction I wouldn't have discovered the awesomeness of The 100. So...

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
This movie felt like an introduction to a low quality series. As a standalone it was really bad. After watching TAU, How it Ends and this piece of slop I think I'm done watching watching any sort of scifi based Netflix movies.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it and it's a mediocre movie with some really good ideas.

The characters are bad and we never really get to know hem enough to care about them, the young girls had no purpose in the movie outside of doing dumb stuff despite being over 50 years old. Penã's character was alright since he actually had some decent character development throughout the movie, him coming to terms with them not necessarily being the good guys felt earned.

I loved the twist in the movie, that the aliens were in fact not aliens, but rather humans who had been driven from earth by their own creations, it's a good twist and the 15 minutes revealing the twist is by far the strongest part of the movie.

It felt a little weird that the synths that retained their memories wouldn't have kept track of the humans and warned everyone else shortly before the invasion began, it also seemed weird that the synths hadn't taken measurements to protect their home against the humans at all costs.

The ending was a little weird because of how confusing it was, obviously the synths will go to war with the humans, but was this the only synth city in the world or what is the deal with them looking out into the nature while they ride under ground to the secret base thing?

And holy shit at the train track CG at the end, I am not even sure what they were going for and it confused me so much. Was the train tracks supposed to be destroyed or did they submerge into the ocean? They also lower them so fast that it never could seem believable. Also when the elevating platform crashes down early on in the movie, I couldn't stop laughing at how it seemed to fall with 3x gravity enabled and how the bad editing made me believe the neighbors wife was still on the platform when it fell. The kids also had a flashlight while on the platform, but they don't get that flashlight until the mother gives it to them in the scene right after the platform falls down.

I think the biggest success of the movie is that I want to learn more about the world the movie takes place in, the twist is so strong that I would honestly watch a sequel just to know how it all plays out once all the cards are on the table, but otherwise it's pretty forgettable.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
At what point did some guy at Netflix decided "We put all the money on scifi now!!" ? is this some marketing strategy or something ?

They would have stats which show which genres are the most popular and which ones trigger a spike in new subscribers. They're not just doing this on a blind hunch.

Sci-Fi, even shitty Sci-Fi, is popular. Now more than ever.

It's like when Will Smith decided he wanted to move from TV to films, he looked at what type of films were they highest grossing, saw it was sci-fi and told his agent he'd only be interested in that genre. A decision that payed off immensely.

Oct 27, 2017
terrible, terrible. Why not just get the synthetics to live on Mars and humans get the Earth back? The synthetics don't need oxygen and water like the humans. It's literally win/win. Also, you're telling me that there would be no interhuman relationships between the synths and humans...I mean with how hot some of them are I'm sure a lot of people would be doing the Futurama twist with these synths...

But nah, not a good film.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Netflix movies are almost always shit that would get shoveled onto straight-to-dvd distribution. Not surprised this is being fairly maligned.

And while we're at it, fuck Bright.

...just because.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
this should have been a 45 minute Outer limits tv show and not a 90 minute movie. The first 2/3 dragged on forever and the screaming kids were very annoying. but i guess kids in real life would probably act the same way?

The twist definitely makes no sense.

Why would you forget your synethic nature? Why pretend to be human? How can you live for 50 years and not go to a doctor, or cut yourself or accidently fall off a tree and break our leg?

How many of them were there to actually win the war against humans? They weren't even bullet proof or trained in tactical combat. It would also have made more sense if they were on a small colonized planet and not fucking earth where there are 7 billion people. Maybe if there was WW3 and synthetics were built to help humans.

Last edited:

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
More movies like Spectral, less like How It Ends, and Extinction

Wanted to write something exactly like this since i saw both and Cargo in the span of a week.

Wasn't really really bad but somehow completely soulless. The aliens twist was way to predictable and most of the greater plot too.

Felt also like a mix of 4 known movies mixed into one...

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Spoiler tagging this because this will be an obvious story give away ...

watching this movie shortly after playing Detroit: Become Human was a bit weird. It's like almost the same kinda thing after the twist.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I can never find that netflix OT when I'm looking for it.

So I'll just say here, I watched another garbage movie last night. Emelie. All these movies start out okay, but just turn to trash. There's more garbage on Netflix than in the library's unborrowed DVD section.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have to wonder why
no asked "why aren't we getting older?" during those 50 years... were they getting their memories wiped once in a while for no good reason explained to them? Like : "Hey doctor, something is weird... why aren't our daughters growing up?" "Well, why don't you come with me into that special room over there?" They should have went with a few years at most rather 50.

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This was fucking awful. Watched about an hour of it then came on here to see what the twist was to see if it could redeem the time I had wasted on it: Nope.

The pacing was awful, the story was awful, he characters are beyond awful. The wife and kids were super unlikable, the main character had no personality whatsoever and had the exact same facial expression throughout the entire film no matter what was happening.

It's very rare that I cannot finish watching a film but this was just.. so bad.

I suppose the awful, soulless characters kinda make sense given the twist lol

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix need to stop writing checks if they going to keep jacking prices and bringing stuff like this

Deleted member 37107

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Chicago
It was a strange film, especially since it was one of those blacklist scripts that had hype some years ago but was in development hell. I liked it towards the end but the trailer gives everything away. I love Lizzy Caplan but she seemed to lack chemistry with Michael Peña but maybe it was due to the twist? Still, it was fun once it picked up.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get past the absolutely horrid FX during the initial 5 minutes or so.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This movie is absolute garbage.

The two daughters are probably the worst of the movie and Pena has a nonchalant, unexcited face the whole time.

I'm sitting here laughing at everything.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The twist was okay but these films are quite poor. If Netflix are going to poor billions into content could they at least go for quality over quantity. You can't even argue mainstream Hollywood is sucking up the good stuff because they are so few and far between and Netflix might not even be aiming for that anyway.

Spectral is the only one that has got close to being a good sci fi B movie, it was simple but a good ride. Battle of Jadotville was good too.

Tau, that was pretty poor. Like an Outer Limits episode.

I'll watch Like Father next.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It was ok. Compared to 'How it ends' which netflix recommended after I finished this movie, Extinction is a masterpiece. Literally nothing happens in that movie and it barely makes sense.

In this one I like the twist and how the flashbacks were repurposed. but doesn't hold up to the tiniest bit of thought.