Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Recently saw Porco Rosso and Castle in the Sky. CitS was a bit long but Porco Rosso was an absolute joy to watch. Looking forward to rewatching most of these in the upcoming weeks.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Has anyone confirmed if the version of Mononoke uploaded to Netflix is the uncensored version?

Censored is fine but I remember my shock watching the version with all the violent deaths intact for the first time... after having already watched the film 4 times at that point.

Currently out so can't check.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Porco and Only Yesterday are actually two of the best Ghibli movies

Saw Porco rosso several years ago and liked it but thought it lacked some kind of big payoff.
I was younger and my movies needed more grandeur, I guess.

Watched it again yesterday incidentally, and it's such a gentle, dainty mix of things. Subtle, charming, funny, poetic.
A subtlety often mistaken for minimalism and the trait of a minor work.

Being set in Italy and Porco having the same name as my son certainly play a role, but I love every second. Every frame.

Masterpiece, without a doubt.

Only yesterday is one of the few I never saw.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
Only Yesterday is the film that in rewatching was just a delight and way better than what I remember it being, but as I said earlier in this thread I think a lot of that has to do with being a teenager when I last watched it to now where I'm in my 20s.

Porco Rosso still doesn't do it for me but super glad for everyone that loves it.

Here's my updated ranking of last months films:
  1. My Neighbour Totoro
  2. Only Yesterday
  3. Kiki's Delivery Service
  4. Castle in the Sky
  5. Ocean Waves
  6. Porco Rosso
  7. Tales From Earthsea

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Saw Porco rosso several years ago and liked it but thought it lacked some kind of big payoff.
I was younger and my movies needed more grandeur, I guess.

Watched it again yesterday incidentally, and it's such a gentle, dainty mix of things. Subtle, charming, funny, poetic.
A subtlety often mistaken for minimalism and the trait of a minor work.

Being set in Italy and Porco having the same name as my son certainly play a role, but I love every second. Every frame.

Masterpiece, without a doubt.

Only yesterday is one of the few I never saw.
You are in for a treat.
Both films are as you say, much more appreciated the older you get.
Everybody touts the big guns (Totoro, Sen To Chihiro, Nausicaä) and whilst they are all fantastic, Porco and Only Yesterday usually get overlooked in the west.
Simple but beautiful movies.
Now we wait for Miyazaki's final moive, 君たちはどう生きるか (How Do You Live )

51q5Yu5U4qL.jpg
ill.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
México
I just watched Princess Mononoke for the first time (great movie by the way).

I don't know, but I find that Breath of the Wild is very similar to Princess Mononoke. The setting, outfits, weapons, creatures... it feels that Nintendo was inspired by this film for the game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
I just watched Princess Mononoke for the first time (great movie by the way).

I don't know, but I find that Breath of the Wild is very similar to Princess Mononoke. The setting, outfits, weapons, creatures... it feels that Nintendo was inspired in this film for the game.
Yeah I agree, so many similarities that it had to have been an influence for BoTW.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I've just finished watching Spirited Away on Netflix (My first Ghibli movie) and I have mixed feelings.
The artwork and animation quality is top notch. I was very impressed and can consider it the most beautiful animation I have ever watched. On the other hand the story is messy. I didn't like it at all. Characters pop in and out without adding to the story. Like this big dirty creater and no face who was a complete waste of time. Also there were no overall message there. A small love story between early teenagers was the main part here with some randomness here and there.

So, would I enjoy the rest of Studio Ghibli work?

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I've just finished watching Spirited Away on Netflix (My first Ghibli movie) and I have mixed feelings.
The artwork and animation quality is top notch. I was very impressed and can consider it the most beautiful animation I have ever watched. On the other hand the story is messy. I didn't like it at all. Characters pop in and out without adding to the story. Like this big dirty creater and no face who was a complete waste of time. Also there were no overall message there. A small love story between early teenagers was the main part here with some randomness here and there.

Ummm... I must say this is the first time I've seen Spirited Away described as a love story.

I don't generally think there's a "correct" way to consume media, but you may have been focusing on the wrong elements of the movie if, for example, you think No Face was a waste of time who didn't add to the story.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017

Watch Porco Rosso, then report back.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

Spirited Away is heavy on referencing on japanese folklore. If you want something that's more newcomer friendly, I would suggest something like Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa or Totoro.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I actually agree that Spirited Away is a little bit busy, plot wise.

Self-indulgently cross posting from the Movies thread:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - 4/5

I hadn't seen this in a very long time. It's not Miyazaki's best - the dialogue (or at least the localisation) is a bit artlessly expository in the same way a video game's can be (apparently everyone in this world talks to themselves incessantly!), at least at the start where the world's being established. But calling this a dry run for Mononoke - a better movie with similar themes - would be doing it a massive disservice.

The movie centres on a planet (earth?) that is being slowly engulfed by a toxic jungle, which began spreading after a catastrophic war that basically glassed the planet and ended industrialised civilisation. The anti-nuclear and environmentalist message is not subtle, but it's handled subtly. Its depiction of nationalist squabbling in the face of an environmental catastrophe that requires collective action and a radical change in our relationship with nature is, unfortunately, probably more relevant now than when the movie was released.

The art has this real 70s prog sci-fi vibe that distinguishes itself from almost everything else in Miyazaki's oeuvre, and seems like it it was blatantly lifted by,, like, every JRPG in the 90s (Lavos just straight up is an Ohm), not to mention BOTW (which is just, aesthetically if not thematically, a synthesis of this, Mononoke and Laputa). That the ostensibly horrific giant bugs are made sympathetic, and, in a weird kinda way, almost cute, is an incredible testament to the artistry on display here.

I generally think the music is the weakest part of Ghibli movies - some hotel bar-arse piano - but Hisaishi does great work here. I've been listening to the theme non-stop since last night:

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I am really interested to know your take on no face and how important he is to the plot.
He represents how greed, complacency and carelessness can't fill a void, or give you purpose, in a movie that's all about rejecting fear and self absorption in order to find yourself?

He's also an allegory about the effects of pollution.

Oct 30, 2017
i love spirited away but it is certainly all over the place.

if you want something more straightforward i'd recommend castle in the sky (rewatched that last week, hell of a movie) or something more grounded like whisper of the heart.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
The "busy" nature of Spirited Away is why I love it so much.

There's so much the world has to offer and as a result the film gets stronger on repeated viewings in my eyes.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Besides recognizing that the customers of the bathhouse are various spirits and demons, it's not really necessary IMO.
It sorta is when characters pop in and out is what that poster's main complaint. The fact that Spirited Away resonate more with japanese more with it having the biggest box office there back when it was released is pretty self-evident.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Great. Then I'll start with Spirited Away then. Thanks.
They're all great. I'd recommend Nausicaa very highly as well. It is a nice change of pace from the others, considering it is post-apocalyptic and surprisingly a bit bleak and violent, while still having all that Ghibli charm. Also has Hideaki Anno as a key animator on a few parts, meaning you get to see some amazing explosion effects, and where a lot of Evangelion came from.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017

wat

My dude, No Face is like the most obvious incarnation of the film's themes of self-serving greed and material wealth being toxic. The entire film is chock-full of it. Think about the spirit that Chihiro helps to 'free' by unclogging all the shit they've become engorged in. Her parents' entitlement in helping themselves to whatever they want and being turned into pigs for it. The workers of the bathhouse climbing over each other for gold. Then look at what happens to No Face as he indulges in the same thing.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Ummm... I must say this is the first time I've seen Spirited Away described as a love story.

I don't generally think there's a "correct" way to consume media, but you may have been focusing on the wrong elements of the movie if, for example, you think No Face was a waste of time who didn't add to the story.

It kinda is, just not an overtly romantic one. Just rewatched it and it still feels inexhaustible. There's just so many angles of endearment to peer into. I found new things to appreciate and love about the Radish Spirit scene and the test of faith scene.

Also just saw Kaguya for the first time and it is devastating. One of the best page-to-screen adaptations of any tale. It'll rank really high on my personal list.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
Finally watched all of this months films, my ranking of the 14 Ghibli films on Netflix so far is:

1. Spirited Away
  2. My Neighbour Totoro
  3. Only Yesterday
  4. Princess Mononoke
  5. Kiki's Delivery Service
  6. The Tale of The Princess Kaguya
  7. Castle in the Sky
  8. Arrietty
  9. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  10. My Neighbors the Yamadas
  11. The Cat Returns
  12. Ocean Waves
  13. Porco Rosso
  14. Tales From Earthsea

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know that but unfortunately its very common in US dubs. Apparently Americans get too bored when a movie has silent scenes.
I'm a bit late but I found this pretty interesting video which addresses the soundtrack differences between the versions.

(relevant part at 4:09)

Apparently Disney's staff told them that american audiences would grow uncomfortable if there's more than 3 minutes without music. Afaik are the european dubs closer to the orginal

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Really excited to watch The Wind Rises again. I've watched most Ghibli movies many, many times but that one I've only seen once in a theater when it came out. I'll probably have a bit different perspective to it now.

Also I think From Up On Poppy Hill is a nice little portrayal of the 1964 olympics era Japan. It's not a masterpiece or anything but I like it.

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's really tough to go with a top 5 but:

1. Princess Mononoke
  2. Spirited Away
  4. Porco Rosso
  5. My Neighbor Totoro
However for anybody getting into Ghibli movies once you've watched a few, check out Grave of the Fireflies. It's a movie about war, and I'll leave it at that.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
I love Grave of the Fireflies and I think everyone should watch it... But I will probably never watch it again.

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
unfortunately Grave of the Fireflies was not included in this deal, but I agree that people should watch it, although maybe wait for the real world to get a little better as it is incredibly depressing.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Holy cow, I finished The Tale of The Princess Kaguya and is a masterpiece and instant classic for me!
It became my most favorite Ghibli movie.

It so much better then I thought it would be and I can't believe how emotional it touched me. I'm an emotional mess now.
The animation is so good. Even if everything is stylised, it felt so real. The expressions are phenomenal. I could really feel if the characters felt happiness, joy, sadness and depression.
The movie also reminded me on classic storytelling and old movies, what I really like.

I can't believe how few recognition this movie gets in general. I could write assays and assays about this movie.
.I recommend this movie hard!

10/10

Last edited:

fdst1983

Aug 26, 2018
Since 21 movies are on Netflix, in which order I should watch them? Are there related or not?

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Since 21 movies are on Netflix, in which order I should watch them? Are there related or not?
Only movies that are even remotely related are A Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns, and even there the connection doesn't really matter at all. There's really no right answer, you can watch them in any order.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It's really tough to go with a top 5 but:

1. Princess Mononoke
  2. Spirited Away
  4. Porco Rosso
  5. My Neighbor Totoro
However for anybody getting into Ghibli movies once you've watched a few, check out Grave of the Fireflies. It's a movie about war, and I'll leave it at that.
Would people generally agree with this? I know I've not seen 3 / 4 and I fancy watching something new.