Jul 24, 2020
I doubt it was viewers being the issue but more so the budget.

Its got good numbers on Youtube. Maybe not so much on Netflix proper but I reckon that's more of a curation/algorithm issue. Kind of blind sighted by this to be real.

Anyway I really enjoyed the show. I like the millennial POC perspective, second generation American perspective he brought (Not to only reduce him to those things)

Big shame regardless.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
So I never watched this, is it worth going back and catching some episodes?

Is it the same format as Last Week Tonight, as in recap of the week then in depth dive into a subject E.g. "women's rights", "PRISM", "civil forfeiture" etc?

Kept meaning to try and never got round to it.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
So I never watched this, is it worth going back and catching some episodes?

Is it the same format as Last Week Tonight, as in recap of the week then in depth dive into a subject E.g. "women's rights", "PRISM", "civil forfeiture" etc?

Kept meaning to try and never got round to it.

Pretty much except Hasan is more willing to do deep dives into stuff he is just interested in.

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Lack of marketing killed it. Also, the name of the show is off-putting as fuck. It's a shame 'cause it was extremely informative.

It absolutely blows this show was cancelled, but honest question here. In the age of things going viral and "blowing up" on their own via word of mouth are we seriously still blaming the catch all "lack of marketing" for things failing? It's starting to feel like lazy criticism at this point.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Huge bummer.
Patriot Act is excellent topical programming. Genuinely funny and informative.
That and Last Week Tonight should easily be able to coexist in that space.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't he announced this in his last episode?

He kinda threw Netflix under the bus about evading Taxes.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I watched his show a few times, but it is too USA centric that I didn't care Tbh.
I mean that's probably the point of the show, but Netflix is a worldwide company so maybe they think something more universal is best.

Oct 31, 2017
Why???
Maybe if you didn't only watch the show on YouTube instead of Netflix. You have Netflix, whats wrong with you.

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That's really awful news to read. Patriot Act was a strong show, and Hasan's interaction with the crowd was always great.

The humor didn't always land with me, but they covered a broad range of topics and several issues that were absolutely worth bringing more attention to.
Hope Hasan and his entire team are able to create/find new work that is as fulfilling and captivating.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it regularly on Netflix, I did my part, but I guess it wasn't enough. Hope he and his awesome team land on their feet. Amazingly talented, and it's sad to see him go. He added some much needed diversity to the overwhelmingly white comedy late show space

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
There's no point in me keeping my Netflix sub now. After Marvel shows got cancelled this was literally the only Netflix Original I cared about enough to keep a subscription.

Netflix cancelling this but investing in reality TV trash like The Circle and Too Hot To Handle is really telling of the direction the service is going in. Fucking sucks.

And I love John Oliver, but Hasan's fresh young millennial perspective is something that really resonated with me and kept me coming back every week.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Fuuuuuck! That's disappointing. He had become my favorite host out of all of these shows lately. He's as informative as John Oliver, but way funnier.

Really sad to hear this. Hope he gets some good work in the future.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Did we ever get a reason why it got cancelled? It was the best out of these types of shows since John's run on the Daily Show.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Hasan deep dives into many serious topics but I also liked his more 'light-hearted' subjects such as:

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Dude made current events and the shit going on in the world today interesting and enjoyable to watch. I'll miss this show.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Extremely disappointing. I hope for great things for Hasan Minhaj going forward. Dude is a genius.
He was extremely brave in the subjects and governments he tackled in Patriot Act, particularly the Saudi Arabian government.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix getting worse and worse. I'm pretty close to cancelling.

I find most of the shows I'm watching are on Crave (think HBO + Hulu in Canada)

It currently goes Crave > Disney+ > Netflix > Apple+ in terms of what I watch more.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, good show. I wasn't very good about watching it regularly but every now and then I would hinge a few episodes. I think Hasan is really funny and likeable, shame this show is getting cancelled. Seems like one of the few shows that could still operate in these conditions too.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Compared to all the rest, I really enjoyed Hasan's take on different subject matters and the variety of them also compared to the other shows. I always sent recommendations to friends/family. I hope he returns to this or something better in some form though.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I'm incredibly surprised. This show was incredible and Hasan and his team did a fantastic job of distilling the news in a real yet entertaining way. Easily on par with Last Week Tonight and Jon Stewart Daily Show. It couldn't have been that expensive to produce could it? What the actual fuck?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This show was definitely my favorite of all of the "Daily Show"-esque type shows. Aside from Cody Johnson, which ditches the joke format altogether. Daily Show wastes time with those horrible mid-section "live reports" and interviews with celebrities so it's really only good for the first ten minutes.

This is a real bummer, and hopefully Hasan can find another way to do the same show.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
This is terrible, and as someone who watches OIiver, Bee, and Minhaj, there was actually very little overlap between them.

Hasan regularly drew packed, diverse crowds to the tapings, and it was a great atmosphere and he'd have some really funny and charming interactions with people in the audience (seriously watch those pre-show Deep Cuts on YT).

I think more than any other one of these hosts, he really cared about amplifying the experiences of Indians, Muslims, and other POC, and the people in the crowd reflected that. Watch those segments where he asks Desi teens about their lives, any time Hasan's parents have been on the show, or the random audience parents heckling him for this or that. You don't get that kind of love and community from most news or talk shows ever.

But even in the COVID season without a studio audience, they managed to somehow improve the show by making it even more focused and edited very well. This is while covering under-served topics that they can't just cue up the week's news clips about, it's stuff they have to dig deeper on and introduce as if it's the first time we've heard about it.

This is a real loss and I hope these people land somewhere good.

Amen. Guy is a treasure.