flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is this? For the past month whenever I open the Netflix web page, a trailer for some arbitrary movie starts playing in the top half of the web page. It is annoying as hell.

Why do they do this? Why are they trying to force me to watch something like a forced ad when I already have paid for the service? Who wants this? Is there any way to disable it?

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and Amazon does it too.

Showing things for their own service is fine. I don't see an issue. They have to market their own products to their own customers.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Thats what makes no sense to me. Why do they need to intrusively advertise the contents of the product to the people who already paid?

And take up the entire first page, making people have to scroll down to actually use the product instead of giving them direct access to what they are paying for?

It is not only obnoxious but it is awful UX design. At least let people disable it.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a few years they will have eye tracking in TV's/personal HUD devices

Enjoy having GoogleDisney piping in trailers for Star Wars no matter where you look.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Remember when it would just start autoplaying a movie after watching a different movie? They finally cut that out after a month or so.

One time after watching Mean Girls, Netflix autoplayed the Bratz movie. I see the logic, but holy hell is that a steep drop in quality.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
the auto-previews is even worse. its fucking dumb that i have to mute the tv while i'm browsing for content and reading descriptions of stuff or just get up from the tv for a second

not to mention for a lot of titles it just plays the same generic music depending on the category of the show/movie. lol

i have been using the roku tv version of the app for awhile due to this but now that too has been updated with this "feature" smh

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
Even worse is how much they spam their Original garbage in every category. Critically Acclaimed Movies are full of Oscar winners, $300 million plus domestic box office and then there is like 30 of their shit 2017 netflix movies no one even cares about amongst movies like Schindlers List and Godfather and Shawshank Redemption etc.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about this seems pretty entitled tbh.

Yes you're a paying customer but it's in Netflix's best interests to keep putting content in front of you so you remain one.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Soo...flipping through my netflix queue with the girlfriend around and I see Gaspar Noe's movie "Love". I pause on it explaining his work (he's known for being extemely graphic with sex and violence) and apparently the first scene even before the credits is a hardcore (and apparently real) sex scene, lol. We were both like wtf?

zou

Oct 29, 2017
netflix is on a mission to make the most annoying UI possible, before users start quitting.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about this seems pretty entitled tbh.

Yes you're a paying customer but it's in Netflix's best interests to keep putting content in front of you so you remain one.

Paying for a service and critiquing the awful UX they make me use is entitled?

"I wish I could get in the car that i bought on the drivers side and not have to crawl in through the trunk"

Ashep: That is quite entitled of you. You may be a paying customer, but hiring competent automobile designers costs a company money and they need to make more cars than just yours"

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I hate it. I will start a show and pause it immediately. Auto-start is a terrible feature.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the trailers too much, at least they stay muted.

I hate the auto playing previews in the console interface though, you can't leave the same show selected for more than a second or a video starts playing.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Worst thing is auto-preview when browsing. With audio.

I won't even open Netflix anymore to browse. I'm considering cancelling my sub because they refuse to acknowledge or address the complaint. Been a sub for 10+ years, easy.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just scroll down and it stops.
I shouldn't have to do that everytime i open up Netflix, it has jump scared me way to many times now. Netflix as a whole needs a major revamp (specially the user settings), i'd disable trailers playing on their own, i'd disable the fucking movie starting up when i click on a thumbnail to see what the movie is about, i'd disable Netflix minimizing the screen when the credits start rolling... and there are tons more. This is a paid service for crying outloud.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is this? For the past month whenever I open the Netflix web page, a trailer for some arbitrary movie starts playing in the top half of the web page. It is annoying as hell.

Why do they do this? Why are they trying to force me to watch something like a forced ad when I already have paid for the service? Who wants this? Is there any way to disable it?

They do it because they want to help you discover other programs on the service. In fact, I can't think of many pay services that don't still advertise their own content to customers. I'm watching Curb on HBOgo and every episode begins with a supercut of HBOcontent, which is probably even worst than the Netflix ads since I can scroll right past that and I only have to see it the first time I view the page.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
They do it because they want to help you discover other programs on the service. In fact, I can't think of many pay services that don't still advertise their own content to customers. I'm watching Curb on HBOgo and every episode begins with a supercut of HBOcontent, which is probably even worst than the Netflix ads since I can scroll right past that and I only have to see it the first time I view the page.

Seriously? HBO forces you to watch ads for stuff you already paid for before you can watch the thing you want? Why would they do that?

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? HBO forces you to watch ads for stuff you already paid for before you can watch the thing you want? Why would they do that?

Yeah. I think its an effort to create awareness for the other programs they have available. The idea being that more stuff you watch the more likely you are to stay subscribed.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Yeah it's like a game of hot potato. You want to browse the library, but you can't stop for more than 2 seconds before cheap generic music starts playing. Of course you could just mute your TV, but that's so much work.

I have a TV with an old version of Netflix that doesn't do this, thank god. But that one has its own problems (i.e. when it reaches 99% buffering, it starts playing the audio before the picture is up, lasts about 5-10 seconds).

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that bid a deal to me except that it takes the page slightly longer to load.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paying for a service and critiquing the awful UX they make me use is entitled?

"I wish I could get in the car that i bought on the drivers side and not have to crawl in through the trunk"

Ashep: That is quite entitled of you. You may be a paying customer, but hiring competent automobile designers costs a company money and they need to make more cars than just yours"
Holy shit I just noticed this garbage analogy.

Vostro

Dec 12, 2017
Ya it's kinda annoying. It's not as annoying as when you visit a website and it autoplays a random video.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I also hate how Netflix plays trailers as soon as end credits start rolling. God dammit Netflix, let me soak in the experience of the movie I just watched. That music is there for a reason.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
It's very annoying, and also not "entitled" to complain about it.

TIL you can turn it off, so thanks for this thread.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix has one of the worst web ui and I feel it just keeps getting worst everytime they update it.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Wait, you can turn off autoplaying of trailers? How?

Just going by EightBitNate's post. Looking for it now on web.

1edf416f-2151-4162-8cbbo7l.png

Nov 8, 2017
This is so damn annoying. Second only to their insistence on never putting my list in the same spot twice. Some days its one row above where you start. Some days three rows above. Some days its at the absolute bottom under 30 rows of crap. Some days its somewhere in the middle.

I know what you're trying to do Netflix but just bugger off and let me go to my list.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a way to blackball actors, series or entire genres from appearing there.

No, Netflix, I don't care about any of your stand-up specials...

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
This is so damn annoying. Second only to their insistence on never putting my list in the same spot twice. Some days its one row above where you start. Some days three rows above. Some days its at the absolute bottom under 30 rows of crap. Some days its somewhere in the middle.

I know what you're trying to do Netflix but just bugger off and let me go to my list.
Also annoying as fuuuuuuuuuck. Why put something somewhere (for me to get used to it) only for you to move it? Every 2 - 3 days? To a different random location? Fucking stupid.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The auto playing should be illegal. At least I wish they were muted. I begrudgingly have to scroll down with the quickness every time I go to it now.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't mind. I think it's awesome when it starts playing something you were gonna start anyways. It's almost like it buffers the show for you so there's less loading.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh never mind. I was thinking of the trailers on the Apple TV app version. Carry on.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Thats what makes no sense to me. Why do they need to intrusively advertise the contents of the product to the people who already paid?

And take up the entire first page, making people have to scroll down to actually use the product instead of giving them direct access to what they are paying for?

It is not only obnoxious but it is awful UX design. At least let people disable it.

Because even if you are a paying customer, they have a vested interested in shuffling people towards certain content. Why does Costco still put certain items at the front of the store rather than in the back even though I already paid just to get in the store?