Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I was ready to rage after hearing different games for different regions, but the INT lineup is clearly more suiting my tastes. Last Resort!

Yeah I might buy this damn thing.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I wish it were just a little bigger. It seems cool, but I don't think it'll be very much fun playing with those small controls looking at that tiny screen. Sure, you can play on a TV with gamepads (which I'd bet will be sold separately), but then why include the screen and built-in controls in the first place?

No way it will be that cheap.
Why not? I think $99 sounds like a reasonable price for it. I mean, it's a plastic box with cheap controls and a small LCD screen running only SNK roms, so it's not like it's expensive to make. And at $99 it'll still be more expensive than the NES and SNES Classic, so can still be seen as the more NeoGeo-like price.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably picking up the JP version.

Also:
e0FVh7w.png

My google-fu is telling me I can't buy this, which is really disappointing.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
The international version has better variety, but no Twinkle Star Sprites :(

I'll wait for pricing, but will likely pick one up as long as the emulation is decent.

danger_chunk

Jun 7, 2018
Honestly, my biggest concern is the feel of the controller nub sticks.

I've had a neo geo cd for a few years and I love the clicky tactile feedback from the pad--it's a weird solution to not having indentations for the cardinal directions. That said, I'm worried about the comparison to the CD here because I always felt that pad's nub sticks were bit too loose compared to the neo geo pocket. Wish they'd iterate on that hardware instead.

Also: It's probably odd, but not having the clicky nub sticks are honestly the main reason why I've avoided neo geo games on switch or non-NG hardware...

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Japan Only

Real Bout: Fatal Fury 2
The Last Blade
Alpha Mission II
Twinkle Star Sprites

oh fuck off

I mean, cool that we get all the Metal Slugs instead of obsolete KoF iterations, but fuck right the hell off with no Real Bout 2.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see the moviefone voice guy still getting work.

As for the mini...I dunno. The controllers look cool, but the console(?) itself looks cheap, and it's missing some games (Super Baseball 2020).

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The anywhere save state feature is going to be great for practicing stuff like boss fights and specific stages in Metal Slug etc.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm so tired of the Neo Geo compilations always getting incomplete lists.

Why is it so hard to do a system that plugs into a TV via HDMI, gives you a choice of 4:3 or 16:9 (stretched), gives you two nice large Neo sticks, and has large collection of their games? Or gives you access to their library, and YOU get to choose which you'd want to buy?

I would love to have the ability to add other games to the system, either by using an SD card, or possibly connecting to a PC to transfer to the ROM images. Sadly, neither of those options appear to be available here.

As far as controllers are concerned, there's always the possibility they could sell full-size NeoGeo joysticks in the future, if there is enough demand for them.

So, if that little mini screen is 640X480 and the games look right, that could be cool. OTOH it may be so tiny it's irrelevant,.

It's a 3.5" screen. That's the same size as the LCD screen on an Atari Lynx. If you could envision playing NeoGeo games on a Lynx-sized screen, then you're in business.

Of course, I don't know how many people here on ResetEra have a Lynx kicking around, so here's another comparison which is even better: the NeoGeo games that were ported to PS Vita by Code Mystics. I tested this with The Last Blade 2, but I believe the other NeoGeo games should give the same results.

Go to the graphics options, set the playfield to 4:3 aspect ratio and "normal" size (not "large" or "stretched"). Measure the playfield (excluding the border), and you'll find that it's approximately 3.5". If you are comfortable playing these games with those settings (which I am, as those are the setting I usually use anyway), then you should have no problem with the screen size on this unit.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
The anywhere save state feature is going to be great for practicing stuff like boss fights and specific stages in Metal Slug etc.
Hopefully it's a single button press option somewhere and not buried in menus. Practicing crossup, setups and combos then resetting instantly to try again is the way to go.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Ya boy MAXWELL POWERS with the voice, lmao

I want this so much as a SNK mega fan, but it's kind of a weird and clunky little product that I'll never play outside my house (does the screen go dark when it's plugged into an HDMI monitor/TV?). Also disappointed that International version doesn't have KOF 96 or Twinkle Star Sprites. Comes down to price, let's see...more than 130 or so will just be too much, imo, because I'm sure that this separate controllers will be a individual purchase and 30-40 bucks in their own right.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I have to have this for collection purposes. Hopefully it's between $79 and $129 so that it can stay an impulse type of buy - especially since you need additional peripherals to play multiplayer anyway.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
And they chose the right list of games, too; Though Art of Fighting 2 should've replaced the first one, Metal Slug X should've replaced Metal Slug 2 & the first Shock Troopers game should've also been on there.

Can't complain, though. I just hope that the emulation for it is up to spec before I buy it.

Edit: Oh, the games are divided? Well, never mind then.

Last edited:

Excitemike

Dec 20, 2017
The fact that they said they will release an HDMI cable means it will probably be a proprietary one which kind of bites.

Just wanted to add, the port on the back of the NG Mini is not proprietary, it is an HDMI mini. It's not exactly common, but is easy enough to find. SNK is probably just releasing a branded cord.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I'm sorry, but fuck that international game list! Not only did they decide to make both the KoF Orochi and Nests sagas incomplete, but they cut Real Bout 2, Twinkle Star Sprites and Last Blade as well? I like Metal Slug but this is a really bad trade for me. Why did they do this? Couldn't they stretch to including all the games on both lists and cut this region exclusive bullshit?

alcheim

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Why in the world is it limited to 40 games? Wouldn't the whole Neo Geo library fit in an 8GB card?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm sorry, but fuck that international game list! Not only did they decide to make both the KoF Orochi and Nests sagas incomplete, but they cut Real Bout 2, Twinkle Star Sprites and Last Blade as well? I like Metal Slug but this is a really bad trade for me. Why did they do this? Couldn't they stretch to including all the games on both lists and cut this region exclusive bullshit?
Yep, nevermind the weird omissions, the regional libraries are split in awful ways. All these retro plug 'n plays need to get rid of that regional exclusive shit.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
zC8WMxU.gif

Very disappointing that the controller seems to be an analogue stick, not the real deal.
The clicky stick on the PS3 USB controller is excellent.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Awaiting E3 impressions! Gotta know what screen options there are and how that fake NGCD pad feels.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was on board with that thing until I realized it won't have a battery, so you'll need to have it wired at all times which is going to be annoying.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
From a journalist at Gamekult (french):

"Story to kill the groove but the Neo Geo Mini is not really good. Unworthy emulation quality, cheap UI, meh screen. The design is nice though"

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama

"Story to kill the groove but the Neo Geo Mini is not really good. Unworthy emulation quality, cheap UI, meh screen. The design is nice though"

Shame to hear, and surprising too, as build quality was ostensibly the reason why SNK pulled out of its agreement with Tommo for the Neo Geo X (which isn't looking so bad after all in retrospect).

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I wish these things would be created with some kind of mini-CRT screen (although, I know, who the hell would be making that...). Otherwise, my iCade cabinet with custom buttons and stick is better than this thing in every way imaginable.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I have Amazon set to alert me when their page for this goes live for preorders. I want one. It's gotta be better than that Tommo made Neo Geo X I have just sitting in the "Mega Pack" box (mine had a jacked up joystick and wouldn't "click" when pressing right. Tommo never replied to my emails).

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017

SNK themselves put up a 5 min or so video of E3 impressions... surely, this isn't an impartial video, and the record quality is pretty mediocre. But it's nice to see them collecting some opinions, and good to see people interested.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017

Just about what I expected. It'll be my $$ paperweight on the shelf. There are so many other ways to play Neo Geo games.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So impressions. I tried this out at E3 yesterday and surprisingly...I'm sold. The buttons and stick feel extremely solid not cheap like some of the non-mad catz or hori sticks I've tried in the past. My biggest surprise? I actually liked the Black International version. There are subtle touches like a metal stick shaft and blue LED slighting under the stick itself that really make it pop. I still want the Japanese version but now I kinda want both for head to head play on a coffee table in my livingroom. The gamepad was also solid too, as a lad, I tried out a friend of a friend's NeoGeo (rich little prick) and thought it was the coolest thing ever: this felt like that and brought back memories.

The screen is also surprisingly good but I tried it both in TV and Portable mode. If this thing is hackable...man best portable MAME experience ever.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Packaging:

Beaten by miliseconds :)

SNK themselves put up a 5 min or so video of E3 impressions... surely, this isn't an impartial video, and the record quality is pretty mediocre. But it's nice to see them collecting some opinions, and good to see people interested.

Iirc Persona is the guy that makes awesome combo videos so impressions from him carry some weight.

Overall the impressions seem to be positive so far. Lots of MOTW love in the SNK vid and it was great to see Romance make the cut.

So impressions. I tried this out at E3 yesterday and surprisingly...I'm sold. The buttons and stick feel extremely solid not cheap like some of the non-mad catz or hori sticks I've tried in the past. My biggest surprise? I actually liked the Black International version. There are subtle touches like a metal stick shaft and blue LED slighting under the stick itself that really make it pop. I still want the Japanese version but now I kinda want both for head to head play on a coffee table in my livingroom. The gamepad was also solid too, as a lad, I tried out a friend of a friend's NeoGeo (rich little prick) and thought it was the coolest thing ever: this felt like that and brought back memories.

The screen is also surprisingly good but I tried it both in TV and Portable mode. If this thing is hackable...man best portable MAME experience ever.

Thanks for the impressions man, I figured the controls must be good since they made it a point to show the guy doing combos and supers easily in the presentation video so it's great to hear that they are solid.

Looks like they might have a winner on their hands if the quality control is good.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey

It's great to hear a first-hand account from someone who got the opportunity to try it at E3. Thanks for sharing your impressions with us!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I think this will be what sells me on it. And I'd reckon it will be hackable, you just know people will be tearing it open when it comes out.

When *does* it come out?