fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
doesn't surprise me in the least that there are more women who are willing to go on the record about him. i've heard a looot of (anonymous, unofficial) accounts of gaiman behaving inappropriately around fans, from refusing to pay much attention to anyone except attractive women at signings (at best) to "accidental" gropings and crass comments.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
There's literally infinite amount of media and entertainment out there, enough to last us all until we die. So you know, don't support people like this I guess.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
This one hits hard. I've been a fan of a lot of his works for quite a long time now.

I'm glad people have been so far refraining from the "I never liked him" posts for the most part.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah, fuck this guy (not literally).
Question is, do I get rid of my Sandman books, or keep them?
I can separate the art from the artist... up to a point, and that point is fluid.

AliceAmber

Don't dream it, be it
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I can separate the art from the artist... up to a point, and that point is fluid.
That's up to you. I have a fair amount of Gaiman stuff myself. I think I'm going to hold onto them for now, but will be seeing how I feel in about 6 months. At least I buy a lot of stuff second hand so he hasn't received a ton of my money, haha.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
Damn dont know how I completely missed this. Wishing justice for all the victims.

I could never get into his books and I suppose that was for the better.

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
I've enjoyed a few of his books over the years. What a disappointment. Fuck him, and I hope his victim's get justice.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I don't think I will ever be able to read Sandman again, it occupies a space between seedy and quaint that is gonna feel really gross now

I have a bunch of his stuff with lovely, personal autographs that I don't know what the fuck I'm gonna do with

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus. I've loved his works since I was a kid. This sucks.

I've gotten pretty used to seperating the art from the artist by now, so I'll probably still be able to enjoy his old stuff. But I'm completely uninterested in anything he comes out with in the future, and I'm not supporting him with my money.

That story with the muse from Sandman is one I don't see myself revisiting anytime soon. It feels borderline confessional in retrospect.

May 26, 2018
God... this one continues to hurt. He seemed to be such a good force. But it just goes to show you never, ever know.

Heart goes out to all the women he's attacked.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Fuck him

Now it makes sense why
going by the leaked set pics they're ending the show with season 2

which ones ?
Alll the set pics I saw were follwoing the normal course of the story

Specially because there was no way they knew this was coming considering how long ago they planed the season

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

It's going to be up to the person what their line is.

He's already gotten your money for the items you already own, if that's the concern in terms of "support." Refrain from supporting future projects going forward, maybe?

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
which ones ?
Alll the set pics I saw were follwoing the normal course of the story

Specially because there was no way they knew this was coming considering how long ago they planed the season
Plus the show was expensive as fuck with only a moderate viewer base and took months to be renewed. They might have given him just 1 more season in the first place.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
This one hurts me as well. When my friend and I were working on a comic together (never made it to publication), we sent him the scripts of the first two issues, and he actually responded and was very kind with good feedback. And I've loved Sandman since I was a teen.

But at the end of the day, what I'm feeling is nothing compared to the hurt he inflicted on those women.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Fuck, Sandman was so massively important to me when I was growing up. Awful shit.

Also, fun fact, but my second favorite/most important comic ever? Transmetropolitan.

Yeah...

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Sandman is basically why I pursued a career in writing and literature. This has been devastating to watch unfold. God damn it.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
I wish there was more formal reporting on this than just podcasts. Hopefully the information gets out where it needs to go.
I think Britain's draconian libel laws do give some additional credence to this. Here's a British news org (albeit small, new, and I vaguely understand right-leaning) reporting about a British person. If they get this story wrong, Gaiman would take them for everything they're worth.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was more formal reporting on this than just podcasts. Hopefully the information gets out where it needs to go.

It's extremely strange that no other outlets have picked this story up even a tiny bit. I have zero trouble believing Gaiman is a creepy POS, but I would really love a source to point to that isn't a TERF podcast.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I think Britain's draconian libel laws do give some additional credence to this. Here's a British news org (albeit small, new, and I vaguely understand right-leaning) reporting about a British person. If they get this story wrong, Gaiman would take them for everything they're worth.

Also, one of the allegations has come from a podcast that has nothing to do with the original one, and the woman who came forward isn't connected to anyone else. It's pretty clear this is just the tip of the iceberg.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
It's extremely strange that no other outlets have picked this story up even a tiny bit. I have zero trouble believing Gaiman is a creepy POS, but I would really love a source to point to that isn't a TERF podcast.

Literally the third allegation of five came from a podcast solely focused on victims telling their stories.

Oct 25, 2017
Forced myself to read the details and I can only say that the man is clearly a predator, the way he appro.ached his victims you can tell there are sadly more victims out there that havent came out.

Teusery

"This guy are sick"
May 18, 2022
Still nothing from Neil and I just found out Coraline has just recently returned to theaters. Well, that's not getting watched.

What happens now? Neil says nothing for years?

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I'd think the break will be a couple of years, something along the lines of how long Warren Ellis or Chris D'Elia waited before their first attempts at a comeback.

Sandman season 2 is going to be released before then. At some point you have to think the mainstream press is going to start pushing Netflix if Gaiman remains in hiding. Same goes for Amazon eventually with Good Omens season 3.

Oct 14, 2019
I managed to get a refund on the Good Omens graphic novel kickstarter (I had backed at a very expensive and high teir). I no longer felt comfortable receiving the personalised rewards from Neil. I don't even like Good Omens! I literally backed it for the personalised rewards and to show my support.

As much as I want to support the Terry Pratchett Estate, Rob Wilkins and Colleen Doran I just couldn't handle the thought of supporting Neil further. Their most recent kickstarter update mentioned nothing about this (as I would expect) and they have backed out of all upcoming appearances, so they are definitely in wait-and-see mode. I do appreciate them allowing me to refund however as it's not a guarantee with a completed kickstarter. So I do believe that they understand the severity around this.

Terry Pratchett is my favourite author of all time and I got into Neil via the association who became my second favourite author (which makes it surprising I guess that I don't care for Good Omens, seeing as it's a joint-effort). I'll continue to enjoy the books that I have always enjoyed (Coraline, Stardust, Ocean at the End of the Lane, Graveyard Book in particular), but I'll stop support going forward unless there are substantial efforts to acknowledge the victims and make clear efforts to change.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Still nothing from Neil and I just found out Coraline has just recently returned to theaters. Well, that's not getting watched.

What happens now? Neil says nothing for years?
Has it been reported anywhere? I haven't seen it mentioned outside of this thread. Feels like it's not a widely known thing.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Has it been reported anywhere? I haven't seen it mentioned outside of this thread. Feels like it's not a widely known thing.
The original news was from the Tortoise podcast/news org, and then I think it was blogged/aggregated by the usual geek news blogs (Kotaku, io9, etc). For what it's worth, Google -- from an incognito browser, so no cookies to skew search results -- the autocomplete for "Gaiman" puts "Gaiman allegations" in the first or second suggestion.

Nov 8, 2018

It must be known enough for Dead Boy Detectives to not be advertised by Netflix whatsoever from what I can see. Like it's even got Death from Sandman in as a cameo from what I've heard, so they obviously had plans for a Neil Gaiman Netflix universe, and now I think they're just going to quietly sweep it all under the rug and distance themselves, just wish they'd do that with people like Dave Chapelle and Ricky Gervais too.

A sixth accuser comes forward

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017
www.tortoisemedia.com

Another woman alleges sexual assault by Neil Gaiman - Tortoise

A fifth woman has accused Neil Gaiman of sexually assaulting her. Claire – not her real name – says that while the author was on a book tour in the United States in July 2013 he took her to a room with a bed at the back of a bus, closed the door, then got …

Another one. That's six women total now.
e: Actually, this is the same woman from the other podcast, so still only five. This time, they have recorded phone conversations with Gaiman.

Last edited:

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Will this be enough to get mainstream news sites going on this topic? Seems this podcast is all there is?

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Multiple series based on his works and a movie, that's not enough?
Private Eye from two weeks ago:

Meanwhile, Gaiman's most recent UK publishers, Headline and Bloomsbury, did not respond to the Bookseller's requests for a comment. The BBC, which is scheduled to broadcast the third series of his Good Omens adaptation, has also stayed quiet; as has Netflix, which makes The Sandman; and Amazon, which adapted American Gods and is scheduled to make Anansi Boys. Three days after the Tortoise podcast aired, the Guardian published a piece by Gaiman.

It's hard not to connect this outbreak of shyness with the fact that Gaiman has one of the most valuable backlists in publishing. Still, one way to measure if his stock has fallen will be his disappearance (or not) from other authors' book jackets: he has long been one of the most promiscuous blurbers in the business.