• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
For a variety of reasons, most justified, some unjustified, men accused of sexual impropriety in today's "me-too" climate are presumed to be guilty by the court of public opinion. Emotions bypass due-process, people choose sides, and the social media wars begin.

Off to a great start...

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I mean, at least put something in the title to tell us what the thread is about besides the man's name.

Anyway, he made a better response than most people in this kind of situation. We'll just have to wait to see what happens.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
The 2009 excuse seems plausible, will continue reading. He so far hasnt called any one names or said theyre bi so its not to an awful start

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was wearing a sleeveless dress with a tattooed solar system extending up her arm. And while I don't explicitly remember searching for Pluto at the top of her shoulder, it is surely something I would have done in that situation...I was reported to have "groped" her by searching "up her dress", when this was simply a search under the covered part of her shoulder of the sleeveless dress.
I'm sorry, but this is comical.

Further, I never touched her until I shook her hand upon departure. On that occasion, I had offered a special handshake, one I learned from a Native elder on reservation land at the edge of the Grand Canyon. You extend your thumb forward during the handshake to feel the other person's vital spirit energy -- the pulse. I've never forgotten that handshake, and I save it in appreciation of people with whom I've developed new friendships.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
That 1980s one is the only remarkable one given he doesnt have an excuse other than she doesnt remember

he doesnt go over what she doesnt remember etc so might be the most likely to have been misconduct

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Off to a great start...

I mean, what he said is absolutely true, regardless of the outcome. He's speaking from a defensive position. It's completely appropriate and expected that he should point out the flaws inherent to these kinds of public allegations since perception of wrongdoing is far more powerful than fact, and it would never be a good defense for him to tell everyone to assume that he's guilty.

Nevertheless, he did say that most cases of men being accused of sexual misconduct are justified, so he's already starting from a much more respectable position than most guys accused of similar misconduct.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
"Searching for Pluto" is going to become quite the meme/sexual euphemism.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
At first read it makes him sound like a massive scumbag.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Ah the old Native American handshake mixup - that is ALWAYS getting me into trouble! Silly old me!

I note that this message was typed in a facetious manner.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what he said is absolutely true, regardless of the outcome. He's speaking from a defensive position. It's completely appropriate and expected that he should point out the flaws inherent to these kinds of public allegations since perception of wrongdoing is far more powerful than fact, and it would never be a good defense for him to tell everyone to assume that he's guilty.

Nevertheless, he did say that most cases of men being accused of sexual misconduct are justified, so he's already starting from a much more respectable position than most guys accused of similar misconduct.

I don't think any of this is off to a good start. He's doing a whole lot of trying to discredit the victims instead of just talking about what happened. Why is it relevant that she dropped out of grad school? Why is it relevant what she does in her spare time that he finds odd as a scientist? Those don't come off as positive things, and if anything, that last part is a "See, she's into crazy stuff"

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These elaborate stories sound ridiculous. Searching for Pluto, really? Practicing a special handshake learned from a native elder?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I would say that it is genuinely shocking to me that he would not even consider his "find the pluto" game is unwanted and creepy contact if not for the video evidence of him playing almost exactly the same game in 2012 in front of a live audience. I could see this not occurring to a dumbass 10-year-old who would still rightly deserve a stern talking to about his behavior, but no consideration over nearly a decade about repeated patterns of this behavior particularly in a professional context from an adult male human being?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
An intersplicing of Tyson's account with Watson's account:

"I invited her to wine & cheese at my place upon dropping me off from work. No pressure."

Watson, who said she felt pressured to impress her superstar boss, told me she agreed to come in for a glass of wine instead. Upon entering his apartment, Tyson allegedly took off his shoes and shirt, remaining in a tank top undershirt. Unfortunately, the night only got more awkward as Tyson, who is married, reportedly put on romantic music and replayed the most graphic parts.

"I serve wine & cheese often to visitors."

She says Tyson soon brought out a cutting board and a knife to cut blocks of cheese that he decided they would share. But before slicing the snack, he allegedly gestured toward her with the knife and made a comment about stabbing.

Watson says she took the comment as a bad joke, but it's important to note that this type of "joke" is exactly what people in power need to keep in mind when dealing with subordinates. And it set the stage for a night filled with subtle intimidation and sexual advances.

"In the car, we had started a long conversation that could continue unabated."

Watson says Tyson started talking about how every human being needs certain "releases" in life, including physical releases. He reportedly mentioned how difficult it had been for him to be away from home for several months.

Watson says Tyson asked her if she needed any releases, and she responded with a story about sexual harassment she endured in the past. It was a smart way to diffuse a tense situation, but she says he was unfazed.

"Further, I never touched her until I shook her hand upon departure. On that occasion, I had offered a special handshake, one I learned from a Native elder on reservation land at the edge of the Grand Canyon. You extend your thumb forward during the handshake to feel the other person's vital spirit energy -- the pulse."

When she broke off the awkward and incredibly intimate handshake, which he allegedly said represented a "spirit connection," she attempted to just get up and leave.

Tyson then allegedly put his hands on her shoulders, and said he wanted to hug her, but if he did, he'd "just want more."

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
They usually say that.

His explanations are creepy as fuck.
Yes, they are. He is a fucking nerd though, so I can also see that nerd awkwardness beingisconstrued in social situations. Not excusing it, but can explain his perspective.
There is plenty of proof he can be creepy. As well as tangible evidence of crossing boundaries with female colleagues.

I just want to know if he's Cosby level fucked up.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Seemed okay to me until the fellow grad student. Felt like he was throwing shade at her rather than talking about the allegations there.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Alternatively, you could say that he's trying to be as fair and balanced as possible because trying to "defeat" his accusers would make him look even shittier.

Alternatively, you could say that he's trying to be as fair and balanced as possible because trying to "defeat" his accusers would make him look even shittier.

There's also the fact that I have literally never seen a response to such an accusation that anyone actually deems as "making them look good". That's a loaded situation. There is no response to such an accusation that will "make you look good". The best you can do is not attack your accuser, be open to investigation and apologize for making someone feel uncomfortable while clarifying what happened and outright denying the accusation simultaneously.

Otherwise you get picked to death for either not denying it directly enough, or being vindictive and attacking the accuser. I'm open to being proven wrong on that though if someone wants to link me a scenario where someone responded to such an allegation and the overall mood was "Oh that makes him/her look great!".

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Mocking post aside, the incident with the production assistant seems like a very plausible situation. It reflects how messy human interactions can be when there are power dynamics, but crucially displays a lack of self-awareness. There's a reason why I don't have my employees' personal numbers or engage socially outside of work with them. It is as much for their own good as mine. He wants to have all the power/fame/money without the burden of responsibility.

It is notable that he offers a hug at the end - perhaps missing the point a bit...

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This... is that super science guy?

More like condescending asshole scientific guy

rtv1x3B.jpg

j75pta6w8or01.jpg

neil-degrasse-tyson-neiltyson-replying-to-howiehwc3-and-dnagtweeter-27499918.png

DKQmSHwUMAACdzb.jpg

fc84efc560e3dee1063f270561b7da7f.jpg

How could anyone even like this person is beyond me.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Bringing up "evidence matters" right off the top is the quickest way to drum up followers to come out on your behalf in order to tell everyone that a woman's account doesn't count as evidence. It's a bad practice and a bad look.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I don't think any of this is off to a good start. He's doing a whole lot of trying to discredit the victims instead of just talking about what happened. Why is it relevant that she dropped out of grad school? Why is it relevant what she does in her spare time that he finds odd as a scientist? Those don't come off as positive things, and if anything, that last part is a "See, she's into crazy stuff"

So you mean to tell me that you can't recall any positive comments in that statement about any of these women? That's quite the selective reading of his accounts if true.

And I can't speak as to why he felt that those details were relevant, but the fact of the matter is that he says that he's open to the investigation, encourages an evidence based pursuit of the truth, and doesn't expect anyone to believe him based on his word alone. This position is diametrically opposed to one that immediately pushes for cases like these to get dismissed, so yes, I'd say he's off to a much better start than most in his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.