sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Theyre just doing what publicly traded companies do. Prioritize profitability above all else in the short term for the shareholders. Money now, fuck consequences later. If Honda or Toyota went all in on EV, the capex with R&D, retooling, etc would eat in to the profits. So they slow walk it as much as possible.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I'm guessing Suzuki is also one of the guilty companies?
Always thought it was sus as heck that they have the extremely popular Swift line of cars (and to a lesser extent the Ignis), but were intent on going all-in with their Smart-Hybrid technology, never trying an all-electric.
You'd think it would be the perfect fit for a city runabout hatchback, but so far nothing.

(Yes I'm a Suzuki owner, and really annoyed they don't currently have an EV upgrade to my current Ignis)

Edit: Read the linked article. They are absolute bottom of the pile for EV engagement.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Theyre just doing what publicly traded companies do. Prioritize profitability above all else in the short term for the shareholders. Money now, fuck consequences later. If Honda or Toyota went all in on EV, the capex with R&D, retooling, etc would eat in to the profits. So they slow walk it as much as possible.
Even the American companies producing EVs don't want to sacrifice profits for more abundant EVs, which is why they all basically play in the 40k+ vehicle range