• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by Uzupedro

Horizon: Forbidden West beat out FIFA 22 and Total War: Warhammer 3 as the most downloaded game in the UK last week.

The latest GSD data shows that almost half (49%) of the new PlayStation game's sales were via the PSN download store. Compared to the launch of the original Horizon game, digital sales are more than double what it achieved in March 2017.

67% of Horizon: Forbidden West's download sales were for the PS5 version of the game.

The arrival of the big PS5 sequel saw Zero Dawn re-enter the charts at No.7.
www.gamesindustry.biz

Nearly 50% of Horizon: Forbidden West sales were digital | UK Digital Charts

Horizon: Forbidden West beat out FIFA 22 and Total War: Warhammer 3 as the most downloaded game in the UK last week.The…

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought it would be higher but impressive nonetheless.

Last edited:

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Higher than I imagined, I thought 30-40 was the digital split for story driven games

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
God, imagine what the digital split is going to be by the end of this gen. Physical games are going the way of the CD album and the DVD.

DinkyBox

Feb 21, 2021
I would assume that it would be around 2x the number of digital copies over the previous game in most regions.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Day one buyers have mostly moved on though, so don't think the install base factors in that much does it?
The PS4 install base wouldn't factor that much since day one buyers mostly moved on as you say but ultimately the PS5 install base still matters compared to the PS4 install base when the first game came out. I think that's why he's saying it's good that it's just 7% down.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
"which considering the PS5 install base is good"

...but its also out on PS4 ?
Still great numbers though.
It's likely there's a lot of PS4 players who will only play the game on PS5. We've seen the same with Miles Morales, so I expect the game to show some good legs.

If you add to that, fewer days in the market and the higher price on PS5, I'm pretty sure it's been an excellent launch for the game

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's likely there's a lot of PS4 players who will only play the game on PS5. We've seen the same with Miles Morales, so I expect the game to show some good legs.

If you add to that, fewer days in the market and the higher price on PS5, I'm pretty sure it's been an excellent launch for the game
This is me anecdotally, I've got plenty to play and I don't really enjoy gaming on my launch ps4, so I'm content to wait on a bunch of these games. All these great games will still be great in 6-18 months.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg

100% agree with everything you said.

Miles Morales charts each time PS5 are sold.
Yet quite certain most of those gamers have a PS4.
HFW will be a long term seller and it is tracking good.
No doubt it would have been higher if the PS5 install base was bigger.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a ps5 disc system because ai thought it would be something I use, but ai own a total of one ps5 disc game. Due to Covid and retail games sales being absolutely destroyed in recent years, I just go digital in the U.K.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
God, imagine what the digital split is going to be by the end of this gen. Physical games are going the way of the CD album and the DVD.

I feel like COVID really accelerated this process. Seems like the adoption rate was climbing already and then after COVID it just shot up

Aufdeel

Apr 5, 2020

Thats how I see it too.

I feel like COVID really accelerated this process. Seems like the adoption rate was climbing already and then after COVID it just shot up

I also agree with this.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I expected better sales than the first Horizon, but... Worse? It doesn't look good.

It is also quite revealing that Sony is not giving the first sales data.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah so that gives it a decent opening of nearly 150k in total, which is probably selling slightly faster than the first game when considering the respective day of release. But as I saw on another site there's an argument to be made for not really seeing substantial growth yet from the 1st game which was a new IP, at least based off of the UK and JP launch numbers. Can't really speak for Japan but over here I'm not surprised that the digital ratio fell way short of the at least one 80:20 ratio I saw in the other thread here on Monday- £70 is just far too expensive for that to have ever happened.

I also think it won't last long on the charts for that same reason, as we've seen with Returnal, Demon Souls and Ratchet and Clank (bundles aside).

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It being on par or slightly higher is good but I would have expected bigger growth out of the gate considering this is now a proven franchise. In the long run it won't matter though.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If it sold roughly the same amount as ZD that is good. Plus since ps5 version costs more and more was sold digitally, that mean it earned a higher revenue even sales are about equal. And they should be happy with that.

Plus like others mentioned, this will probably have good legs like Miles.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
This is one of those times where I don't read into the sales much due to the issues with PS5 stock. I think a lot of people will be willing to wait and play the game on PS5 which is obviously having stock problems. If there is not a big sales spike when there are PS5 restocks, then obviously there are going to be problems sales wise but it's way too early to tell.

If this game was PS5 exclusive, then it would have been pretty bad financially for Sony. Stock for PS5 is just not coming quickly enough, but I think this game will keep getting spikes in sales when new console stock comes in.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how "Sales are down because of PS5 availability" is a valid excuse when the entire point of making the game cross-get was to take advantage of the PS4 consumer base.

The Split is 65:35 for this game, while the Split between PS4 and PS5 is more like 1:10. Many people rather wait to get a PS5 and play it there before playing it on a PS4.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how "Sales are down because of PS5 availability" is a valid excuse when the entire point of making the game cross-get was to take advantage of the PS4 consumer base.

might be, because a lot of people prefer to play these powerhouse games on the next gen consoles. Spider-Man Miles Morales also had the majority of it's sales on the PS5.

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
PS4 sales especially for exclusives are not good anymore. People thinking people are chomping at the bit to play this game on PS4 are mistaken.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
That's good. I'd imagine this, like Miles Morales, would probably keep selling everytime the PS5 is restocked as the showcase titles.

Many PS4 owners are probably waiting to get PS5 before getting these titles.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds to me like making the game cross-gen was a mistake then.

Not every country is as rich as europe, japan or north america. This is a rich country, in many countries like Latin America, India and some countries in europe, people can't afford a PS5. Splits will look extremely different there.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We actually see games sell more on PS5 than PS4 when they're on both, like REVIII, and despite being on PS4, Miles Morales always gets a bump when there's PS5 stock
Sounds to me like making the game cross-gen was a mistake then.
Yeah seeing this news, along with stuff like REVIII selling most on PS5 and Miles getting boosts every time there's PS5 stock despite people being able to play it on their PS4s, makes me hope that next time publishers realize cross-gen isn't all that worth it at least for these SP-focused games.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
Got a ps5 copy for £49,99 or pay £70 for the ps5 digital edition 🤔. I just can't swallow digital first party ps5 prices.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Explain to me how getting more money was a mistake?

Even 30% sales on PS4 are better than 0%. These are adding to the margin by the millions.
There's obviously a substantial work hour and capital investment on creating several different SKUs of the game. It costs Sony a ton of money to develop several versions of their game on multiple platforms.

Not to mention the impact on marketing and consumer interest when a game is announced as crossgen. From a game design & marketing perspective you're going to have to build a game that's potentially held back by 10 year old hardware. And we all remember the backlash this game (and other first part PS titles) got when they announced that it was cross-gen & not exclusively built for PS5 hardware. Those optics affect consumer interest and potential sales.

For the record I bought it and I'm really enjoying it on my PS5. But I also won't ignore the potential shortcomings here.

Last edited:

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got a ps5 copy for £49,99 or pay £70 for the ps5 digital edition 🤔. I just can't swallow digital first party ps5 prices.

I did that for years when i didn't have that much money for games.

I bought the new game used after a few days, finished it in 1-3 weeks and sold it afterwards for a few bucks less. After a few years i bought it again for cheap in a deep sale.

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
There's obviously a substantial work hour and capital investment on creating several different SKUs of the game. It costs Sony a ton of money to develop several versions of their game on multiple platforms.

Not to mention the impact on marketing and consumer interest when a game is announced as crossgen. From a game design & marketing perspective you're going to have to build a game that's potentially held back by 10 year old hardware. And we all remember the backlash this game (and other first part PS titles) got when they announced that it was cross-gen & not exclusively built for PS5 hardware. Those optics affect consumer interest and potential sales.

Any potential sales lost are vastly outweighed by the PS4 sales.

The notion that the average consumer who was excited for this game Didn't buy this game (in the millions) because it was cross-gen, out of disappointment is such a era-bubble take it's hard to start.

That's like saying people will not buy Elden Ring, Halo, or Forza Horizon for that reason. Sure, people may be disappointed but there is zero evidence it has hurt sales, especially not pre launch enthusiasm for this game or God of War, which consistently rank high in consumer excitement.

And they probably have already remade all the costs for the PS4 version (as marking was spread with the PS5 game costs and probably added nothing). (And guess what, this game started on PS4 in development).

The only people who remember the "backlash" are the people who were holding on to their resentment in hopes that that could then turn around at launch and say, "people definitely care about this thing that has not affected any Sony or 3rd party game, because I want Sony to win arbitrary points on hardcore enthusiast bubbles".

Elden Ring will sell fine, Miles Morales has sold amazing, this games sales are great. Your argument is omitting the reality that there are not enough consoles out there for consumers to purchase this how they want. 20 million PS5's can't possibly match the sales at the current splits. The $10 price increase was genius.

May 14, 2021
Hopefully those people waiting end up buying it for under 50 bucks down the road. Sony doesn't deserve full price for the shit they pulled.