• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link.

President Donald Trump plans to publicly address policing reform while meeting with law enforcement and African American faith leaders in Dallas on Thursday, a senior administration official said, as the White House continues to struggle with a political and policy response on the issue.

The president could also announce some measures to address the issue of race and policing in the United States that he can do on his own with an executive order, the official said.

White House aides had hoped earlier in the week that Trump would formally unveil a package of proposals on policing reforms as early as Thursday, administration officials told NBC News.

But with the White House still in discussions with congressional Republicans and so far still unable to settle on a package of measures, Trump is more likely to unveil a broader proposal of policy changes, including legislation, later this week or next week, the senior administration official said.

Among the legislative ideas being discussed: banning chokeholds, creating a national registry for police officers engaged in misconduct, and curbing no-knock warrants.

Trump has stressed to aides that it is important to him to keep most of the law enforcement community on board with whatever policing reforms the White House proposes, officials said.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So basically he'll take what some of the House proposed and act as if he is the one who came up with everything.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
This and ps5 reveal? Gonna be an entertaining day. How am I gonna get work done?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
"After many dark weeks, at least have some videogame news to lighten the mood just a bit"

Trump: "Wait, just one moment".

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
IMO he's in a lose - lose here.

Make actual changes that are good - minorities and protestors get a W and piss off his base.

Make no changes - energize the opposition talking points even more and his base will still be what it is.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
My predictions:

A) He's going to "instruct people to look into" police reform. A commission, a report in five years time with the same recommendations that have been made (and ignored) for the last century, and he'll continue to ignore them. In short, he'll talk big, hope the protestors go home, and then do nothing. Status quo.

or

B) He's going to declare an immediate crackdown and arrest of all protestors in America. He may or may not use the phrase "martial law", but the result will be pretty much the same.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Internment Camps will be opening. Military equipment and vehicles are being donated to police forces. Police now have access to use the Neutron Bomb-at their discretion.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Because he needs to look like a leader? imagine if he cared so much about actually doing something instead of the perception of doing something

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
He'll do a teleprompter read, go off topic a few times, then two hours later he'll be dropping n bombs on Twitter.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Regardless of what he says, its going to piss the protestors off so much

Hes going to "both sides have good people " it and make everyone mad. AGAIN.

Plus hes going to again say thay George Floyed would be happy with his terrible proposal, making it worse

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'm gonna guess...

- Increased funding for police departments
- Expanding use of "less-lethal" munitions
- Recommend shooting suspects in both elbows and knees rather than the chest
- Teabagging now standard practice after subduing suspect
- Expanding private prisons

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to make a sarcastic remark about how terrible this will be, but I'm just exhausted from his shittery.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
This is going to be a disaster, isn't it?
I say 3 minutes tops before he refers to one of AA faith leaders as "you people".

Actually it's far more likely that the "African American Faith Leaders" are going to be that same group of Trumper charlatans that he drags out for every "urban" event like that time Klanye visited the White House so this is going to be a double disaster since none of them are going to say anything once he slides into his usual racism.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
He'll assume policing is about polls and whine about fake polls and how he's the victim here.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Not expecting much sense from the orange idiot. But how about body cameras on at all times. And make it a firable offense for them to 'not be working' or any of the other bullshit cops say.

I mean even the most rabid MAGA asshat can agree with that. Cops have to be held to a better standard

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
"Crime is at an all time high! The worst! Just the worst! You see what the previous administration left us and how it affected our great black communities! Therefore I pledge to reform our great police to be even greater!"

"Now I'll take some questions"

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the things he could say I'm most curious about what inane nonsense he goes with it he tries to coach his language in conciliatory tones. Of course he will just double down though.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Thursday huh, just enough time to organize large protest over his statements by the weekend

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I could see this being one of the times he gives a weak, passionless speeches where he vaguely states he's going to open up a commission to "look into it."

But, if Stephen Miller is the one writing it, this is going to be an unmitigated disaster.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yo he ain't doing none of this shit:
Honestly I could see him announcing DoJ "guidelines" that suggest (but don't enforce) these. These are three relatively "easy" announcements (compared to defunding) that will be non-binding to law enforcement, and lets him have some positive news cycles that he desperately needs.