Votes: 133 29.2%
  • Christian Koloko

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Once again the Lakers get a very good player for literally free. Why do they always get away with this?

Hachimura is on the last year of his rookie contract and is exactly the kind of guy who is decent when he's cheap but you probably don't want to have to pay him, which explains the return. Its basically a half-season rental.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how much value to put into 2nd round picks. Seems like a weird deal for Washington?

Hachimura is on the last year of his rookie contract and is exactly the kind of guy who is decent when he's cheap but you probably don't want to have to pay him, which explains the return. Its basically a half-season rental.

The second contract is a big question. I haven't seen a ton of Rui (Wizards basketball...), but he struck me as a guy who could be a good 7th or 8th guy on a good team. It's certainly a good flyer for the Lakers, even if he's not in their long-term plans.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be happy to see Rui with the Lakers if true, was able to watch him play against the Lakers at Staples Center in his rookie season with TB and TB Jr. on the same Wizards team too.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
Lakers got a steal because Nunn was awful
Reddish next for Bev and second round picks 👀

Just ignore the Nunn part because he doesn't matter. The Wizards got three picks potentially in the low/mid 30s for a guy who they didn't want to resign. I understand it from their perspective. I doubt they could have gotten better than, say, a lottery- (or at least top 10) protected 1st, so this isn't some outrageous steal.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Those salaries don't work. If the Lakers are bullish on Reddish, and the Knicks are interested in Rui, swapping those two actually works though.

I don't know that this would make sense. Nunn and 2nds is basically what the Lakers have been shopping around to make a smaller trade all season. Knicks probably wanted more for Reddish or there was a bigger market for him. Most likely the Lakers offered this to both Washington and NY and took whoever said yes first instead of getting into some bidding war over players of this caliber.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
No one is bullish on Reddish...
Which is why only the Lakers would be 😏
I don't know that this would make sense. Nunn and 2nds is basically what the Lakers have been shopping around to make a smaller trade all season. Knicks probably wanted more for Reddish or there was a bigger market for him. Most likely the Lakers offered this to both Washington and NY and took whoever said yes first instead of getting into some bidding war over players of this caliber.
Yeah, I agree and Rui is a better player anyways, just sharing that was possible via the salaries.

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this happens if there aren't any big free agents for them to sign, which might be the case. I mean who is the best FA in 2023? Kyrie?
👀

Screenshot-1082-e1637681324184.jpg

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I think this deal kinda sucks for the Lakers. 3 2nds and $5 mil expiring should have gotten them an actual useful rotation player. Rui hasn't been good. Wizards have never been good since hes been there and they've always been worse with him on the court, don't really think thats an accident.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think this deal kinda sucks for the Lakers. 3 2nds and $5 mil expiring should have gotten them an actual useful rotation player. Rui hasn't been good. Wizards have never been good since hes been there and they've always been worse with him on the court, don't really think thats an accident.

there doesn't appear to be "actual useful rotation players" all that available this offseason, at least much higher than the Rui/Reddish tier. Things have been pretty quiet and it wouldn't surprise me if thats indicative of what things are gonna look like at the deadline. Its been such a weird, wide open season I'm not sure how many teams are gonna be full blown sellers, and the few that will tank don't really have anything to offer.

Its the same thing when people keep saying "trade the future firsts" but like for who? Who is out there available? Like who is even being rumored to be traded by the usual suspects (woj and shams) or twitter chatter? Its probably not gonna be a good year for teams expecting to upgrade significantly at the deadline.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
there doesn't appear to be "actual useful rotation players" all that available this offseason, at least much higher than the Rui/Reddish tier. Things have been pretty quiet and it wouldn't surprise me if thats indicative of what things are gonna look like at the deadline. Its been such a weird, wide open season I'm not sure how many teams are gonna be full blown sellers, and the few that will tank don't really have anything to offer.

Its the same thing when people keep saying "trade the future firsts" but like for who? Who is out there available? Like who is even being rumored to be traded by the usual suspects (woj and shams) or twitter chatter? Its probably not gonna be a good year for teams expecting to upgrade significantly at the deadline.

Yeah, there are only like 5 teams that aren't in play-in contention, and they aren't going to give you young players who aren't making a lot of money for trash.

Gobert (and Murray) trade kind of fucked the market in the short term as well. Neither of those guys is in the same league as Mitchell, but now everyone expects minimum 2 firsts + multiple players for anyone decent. Was hoping the Nets could grab a decent backup center by trading one or two wings but I'm kinda frightened by what teams would ask for Jalen Smith or Mo Bamba.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If Tsai is smart, he'll sign Kyrie with the extension he's been wanting. Nets are looking the best they ever have and have room to grow. Getting rid of Kyrie would be a disaster.

the problem is Kyrie can make a GM/owner go from looking smart to looking dumb in like a span of 3 weeks and nobody really can predict when/how it will happen.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017

I'm assuming you mean the trade deadline. If so, not sure I agree but I guess we will see but I'd be stunned if players better than Rui aren't moved - not exactly what I'm guessing you're saying though.

I think teams like Utah, Hornets, Magic, Spurs etc. all have better rotation pieces that will be moved - who knows if this deal could've got them as we get closer to the deadline.

I don't like this trade for the Lakers because resources are scarce and this doesn't address any of their needs. Rui is a sieve, doesn't help their shooting (unless you're a believer in some of the outlying numbers) and is a sketchy at best fit next to AD. But as a purely talent play I think it's a fine deal, good even. That's not the criteria to judge Lakers trades by.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Tsai asked Kyrie to earn his contract, if the Nets play anything near .500 ball with KD out (as opposed to going 0-for-a-month in 2022), he'll have earned it. At this point would he want to sign an extension with the Nets without testing the market?

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Signing Kyrie to the max extension he wants would be idiotic. Where's he getting that money? Any team that wanted to give it to him could've bought low on him over the summer.

Oct 29, 2017
Nobody aims low like the Wizards.

I see Hachimura as a Kevin Huerter-level player. A player someone in the league will overpay with the hope that age and talent wins out over inconsistency. About as good as the Lakers could do while not giving up a first.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I really thought Nunn could have been a good fit for us. Like a Caruso replacement.

But dude was a total bust on both ends of the floor.

Rui doesn't seem like he can shoot 3s but I have never seen him play. Bron can usually figure out something to make the offense work but he is not a magician and can't win with 4 scrubs around him.

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
I think Rui will be great for getting LeBron some rest. Wizards never really figured out how to use him. Maybe Darvin Ham will.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I really thought Nunn could have been a good fit for us. Like a Caruso replacement.

But dude was a total bust on both ends of the floor.

Rui doesn't seem like he can shoot 3s but I have never seen him play. Bron can usually figure out something to make the offense work but he is not a magician and can't win with 4 scrubs around him.
Yup, was really looking forward to Nunn finally getting some play and he seemed to be excited to play in LA. Bummed that he turned out to be such a bust. Hope Rui is a solid player. All we need is some passable defense and an ok shooter

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw the Sharpe apology video. You'd think he killed someone and their family at the game with how long in went on. Must have really been worried he wouldn't be allowed at Lakers game anymore.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, was really looking forward to Nunn finally getting some play and he seemed to be excited to play in LA. Bummed that he turned out to be such a bust. Hope Rui is a solid player. All we need is some passable defense and an ok shooter

I have some bad news for you then. He's neither of those, though there are some signs of improvement.

The most interesting aspect of this deal is Hachimura's next contract. His $15.6 million cap hold as a restricted free agent this summer would swallow up nearly half of the Lakers' projected $30 million-plus in cap space. The Lakers could reduce that if they sign Hachimura to a deal that starts at a lower value, but as long as he's re-signed using Bird rights, the Lakers are almost assuredly out of the bidding for a top-tier free agent.

This is one of the weird parts for me. They'll have to renounce his cap rights to go big-game hunting. So if he's not a proven value add this year and keeping his bird rights would limit your offseason flexibility, what's the point exactly? If it's just taking a flier on a guy you like with potential and seeing how it goes this year, that's fine, but it's also goes against how you should be using limited resources with LeBron playing like this.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Spurs making Josh Richardson available for just a second round pick is hilarious
Ultra tank

Every team should be calling because Josh Richardson is a great player

Josh Richardson is a mediocre player in anything other than a fringe bench role and every team that has had him is more than happy to deal him at the first opportunity. I wouldn't deal a first for him and that's why the Spurs are setting the market where it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.